After Loveroms, EmuParadise will also stop hosting ROMs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

From their latest update:

It's not worth it for us to risk potentially disastrous consequences. I cannot in good conscience risk the futures of our team members who have contributed to the site through the years. We run EmuParadise for the love of retro games and for you to be able to revisit those good times. Unfortunately, it's not possible right now to do so in a way that makes everyone happy and keeps us out of trouble.

This is an extremely emotional decision for me after running this site for so many years. But I believe it is the right thing for us at this point of time.

Thus, we have decided to make a new start. We will continue to be passionate retro gamers and will keep doing cool stuff around retro games. But you won't be able to get your games from here for now. Where we go with this is up to us and up to you.

Another blow for video game preservation if you ask me. It's frankly disgusting how video game companies try to control video game history. Sometimes I wonder why I bother with this stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

That's a shame because EmuParadise has some rarer stuff on it. Or had.
Even some of my fav private torrent trackers that are all about retro video game preservation and makes sure not to upload stuff newer than like from 2005 have been hit by takedowns and been forced to become extremely underground based as a result. Fans put in a shit ton of work to rip rare old games, scan old game magazines and manuals etc all for the sake of preservation. Stuff that would be lost otherwise.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

This is a bit upsetting. Emuparadise was my go-to for ROMs/ISOs. I hope some of the more active members of the community managed to download everything in time.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Damn! EP was the best. There'll never be a shortage of places to get ROMs, but few are as well-organized or generous with download speeds as EP.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this is a sign that Nintendo's subscription library will be very substantial and now that they have the ease of access on their side they don't want any competition. I kinda doubt it though, they probably just think this will get more people to buy the nes and snes classics.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this sucks.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will Nintendo ever stop piracy ? Is game preservation just a scape goat for stealing stuff? find out on the next dragon ball z!

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

Will Nintendo ever stop piracy ? Is game preservation just a scape goat for stealing stuff? find out on the next dragon ball z!

Nah I heard next episode is just more Namek and Frietza. The arc is too long and they really just need to beat Frietza already.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

While I realize the intent of the OP was to discuss game preservation and defunct ROM sites, some people are already getting into some topics that are borderline for what's allowed here. Leaving this thread open feels like it would be baiting someone to come in here and start openly promoting piracy and linking to illegal sites, and that would be a violation of our rules against discussions of illegal activity.

For clarity, we do allow discussions about emulation, but linking to or discussing active ROM sites is not allowed.