Age of Forcing (lol)

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I remmber myself as a young kid, been playing games and was excited by playing games of all genres. i could play even not so well-done stuff as Punisher (think it is 2005 game) or Cold Fear and was totally happy with them.

Now, in my 26, i've got a phase when i hardly play a game long time in a row. Some games are exceptions - like, from the more or less new stuff, i've been enjoying Prey 2017 and Final Fantasy X HD a lot, but mostly i have to force myself into playing them and when i do, i'm mostly like: "ok, i hope the quest is ending... Will play it tommorow." - than, on the another day, i am again like "i'll play it rather next time..." While my attitude to games in the childhood was the opposite. Sometimes i just couldn't stop with gaming. Mainly RPG games were eating my time. It was often midnight, and i was sleepy, after seven hours of gaming. "Just another quest and i'm off to sleep" - *quest done* - "Wow, here's an exciting dungeon, i'll just peak in and am off to sleep - *checked it in* - "wow, another quest - this will be the last one and i'm done for now"... But i kept plaing, lol :D I wish some game could catch like back than...

Just two days ago i started playing Hitman for the first time and, after 5 minutes i was like: "Oh, i hope the mission is over soon, so i can turn it off". Previously on God of War and Witcher 3 - it was the same. I hardly forced myself to start them and play them more than for an hour. I finished Witcher 3 in more than half of a year - God of War took me 3 months to finish.

I don't know, maybe i'm a little used to old-fashioned games, and getting kinda older. My favorite videogames are still Gothic 1, 2, SIlent Hill 1-4 and an old PSX JRPG called Jade Cocoon :) I'm pretty sure i'd enjoy them even now, if i still owned them.

But i am still excited by games and, have a list of yet another 25 PS4 games i must buy, lol. Just that games don't drag me in as much as they did, up to ten years ago.

(I'm just typing it because i'm bored)

meant2live218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I totally get what you mean. When I was younger, I could find something to enjoy in any game!

Nowadays, it feels like I have every game in the world in front of me, available for purchase, yet very often I find none of them appealing. Even games that I've bought and played and genuinely enjoy sometimes burn me out in a way I can't recall in my childhood.

I don't know what the reason could be, but it might be that we have higher standards, or that we want a better game to be dedicating our time and attention to.

I've ended up picking up a wide variety of games so that I can jump between them whenever one of them becomes stale.

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, videogames have changed. The what we played in our childhoods was a littled different kind. And, i think some could stone me for this but, when the Survival Horror Cold Fear arrived some 14 years ago or so, it was 5-7 of 10 everywhere and many people didn't attend to play it and finish it while, if it was released nowdays with modern graphics etc., it would be like 8/10 and a better hit, i kind of guess

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Best thread title ever?

It's my theory that as we get older and face more pressing responsibilities, it becomes tougher to block that stuff out and focus solely on a video game. Probably for the best if we want our lives to go anywhere, but it sure is sad when we can't have those completely innocent and enthralling experiences anymore, or at least not nearly as easily.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just had to find out where this thread was going, gg :)

Yeah I can't get invested in the same way I used to, I tend to jump between multiple games playing for a few hours at a time. I wish I could lose myself in them like I used to but other pressures and the fact that the industry doesn't make as many of the games I really like these days makes it so difficult.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just gotta find the right games. If they’re not hooking you maybe it’s just not for you.

DodoBasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a kid I could also sit and watch whatever awful rubbish cartoon was on. I mean, there were also good cartoons, but the point is, that as a kid, you're probably just looking to be stimulated somehow.

Your perspective has changed. Your available time and energy has changed. Especially if you are physically and/or emotionally tired, it can be hard to care about engaging with a game - I find watching something is better if I'm tuckered out.

You're a different, hopefully bit more interesting and better, person than you were. Lots of things change.