Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Brendan

Hello people!

A (very) recent forum post brought up an interesting topic about Alex's contribution to the site, from the perspective of someone who doesn't have the assumed knowledge that many longtime members do. This got me thinking.

Giant Bomb is a personality driven site, not only through it's writing but it's video and audio content as well. It's currently both growing, and going through a transition into both a new year and a new coat of paint. Up until this point Alex has expressed himself very well through his writing. This however; presents a problem. Users, including new ones, rely on their understanding of, and connection to, the prominent staff members that have opinions in editorial content that is reinforced by hours of additional content heavily featuring their personalities and interests. As Giant Bomb's lifespan extends into the future more new users with no knowledge of Alex will experience disconnect and disinterest when seeing reviews from someone they effectively "do not know". My question, therefore, is thus:

What do you want to see from Alex in the future? There is a new website on the way and an opportunity for new beginnings which creates a ripe opportunity for Alex to workshop ideas for his persona to be reintegrated into regular content. Do you want to see videos of Alex alone? Do you have ideas that combine him and other staff members during regular content? You're free to believe that any measures will never be necessary because the above situation will never become a problem, but I'm coming from the perspective that it is an idea worth exploring to ensure that it does not. Gimme what you got!

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

I still think it would be a cool idea of Alex brought some of the ideas he and Rorie did on Screened. Have videos where he defends certain aspects of a game that is universally trashed, do match-ups of of games that are revitalizing a series against it's predecessors, etc. Hell, I'd probably listen to Alex bitch about anything annoying in gaming, ranging from overused game mechanics to how annoying the game community can be.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Brendan

Haha of course I would make a spelling mistake in the title.

Site. The word I was looking to use was site.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BisonHero  Online

He probably does need something like Spookin' with Scoops or Jar Time, just so newer members have any idea at all who the fuck this guy is writing like half the reviews the site puts up. I get that it must be weird for new users, when he isn't part of the Bombcast or Quick Looks or any video content, all of which are arguably more important to the site at this point than the handful of reviews that come out each month.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

I would love to see Alex continue TANG so as to combine his love of film and games. And for the sake my love watching him writhe when reviewing terrible films. Hell, he could even just write it up instead maybe. He's easily the best and most flavourful writer across the entire staff, and his Nic Cage movie editorial things were hilarious.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Well, he works online, so I imagine he'll have a long and industrious future on the sit.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By dungbootle

Alex reviews an awful lot of games. I would imagine getting through those games and writing the reviews eats up enough of his time.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I would like to see him in more video content but thats pretty difficult for obvious reasons. Actually maybe some Premium stuff from his apartment ala Jar Time? I'd be up for that. Or suffers through a horrible game, they seem to give him all the stinkers, he might as well record the agony for our amusement.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Brendan

@Video_Game_King said:

Well, he works online, so I imagine he'll have a long and industrious future on the sit.

Damn you, you experienced typist of correct words and sentences!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aetheldod

@Andorski said:

I still think it would be a cool idea of Alex brought some of the ideas he and Rorie did on Screened. Have videos where he defends certain aspects of a game that is universally trashed, do match-ups of of games that are revitalizing a series against it's predecessors, etc. Hell, I'd probably listen to Alex bitch about anything annoying in gaming, ranging from overused game mechanics to how annoying the game community can be.

Actually I find this interesting as those were some of the best features of screened .... come on mr Navarro!!!!!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By stonyman65

I wouldn't mind him doing the skyping (is that even a word?) in on the Bombcast. He brings a level of snarky-ness and humor that only he can provide. Ever since Screened took a dump, I've been missing out on my Alex fix each week. The man needs to be on a Podcast!

MrSensible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrSensible

This is a much more constructive thread than that other one I posted in. More Alex videos would really help lend some context to the rest of his work on the site.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By pyromagnestir

Yesterday's thread really already had this sort of discussion covered, I think. I would have pointed that out in the more recent one but it was locked before I saw it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By crusader8463

I always liked his defending a movie thing on screened. Would be neat to see him set up a camera from home and do some of those for games. If Jeff can do stuff like Jar Time I don't see why Alex can't. I always liked Alex but as someone who never reads reviews he might as well not even be on the staff from my point of view since I will never get to see any of his content. Maybe get him to Skype in on the podcast from time to time to do the what ya been playing bit.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Brendan

@Andorski: @Yummylee: I agree with the notion that Alex should bring some of that all-too-short Screened heritage with him to more content. Another sentiment that has been echoed more loudly recently concerns the perceived lack of new unique content ideas and if Alex can establish himself with a new generation of users then two possible issues can be solved simultaneously.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Milkman

I'm pretty sure a while back he said on Twitter that he was going to do an Encyclopedia Bombastica from his house.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By sjschmidt93

I want them to Skype him into the Bombcast every now and then, it can't be that hard.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By csl316

Every time Alex comes up I realize how much I miss him and Rorie going all out on Screened.  And then I bring up that he's in awesome writer so at least they're playing to his strengths.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By JasonR86

I feel like a real idiot in that I thought 'on the sit' was some European saying that I as a dumbass American just didn't know. It was only about ten minutes later when I realized that it was probably a spelling error.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I know I would like to see Alex turn up in more videos on the site. Maybe even Skype into the Bombcast from time to time.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Milkman

@csl316 said:

Every time Alex comes up I realize how much I miss him and Rorie going all out on Screened. And then I bring up that he's in awesome writer so at least they're playing to his strengths.

I just fucking miss Screened, man. :(

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Animasta

at first I thought you meant to type set, and then I thought maybe you meant situation before evne realizing you meant site

I'm dumb.

but yeah jar type videos would be nice (subscriber feature or not, I'd prefer not) or just a video of him laying the down low on the games he's been playing (maybe they could just splice it into the bombcast and make ryan actually work when editing the podcast)

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By MildMolasses

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I would like to see him in more video content but thats pretty difficult for obvious reasons. Actually maybe some Premium stuff from his apartment ala Jar Time? I'd be up for that. Or suffers through a horrible game, they seem to give him all the stinkers, he might as well record the agony for our amusement.

I'm not sure what sort of video editing skills or equipment he has access to personally, but there is a CBSi office in New York he could utilise. I know that Gamespot has at least one guy working out of there and presumably they have facilities he could use. To me the real benefit of him doing some video stuff would be to have his input in a quick look style for games that weren't given any video. Mainly I'm thinking of Neverdead and Homefront which he reviewed but we never really got a non-formal perspective from him on

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Freshbandito

@Aetheldod said:

@Andorski said:

Actually I find this interesting as those were some of the best features of screened .... come on mr Navarro!!!!!

Absolutely, I'll throw my hat into the ring that would really enjoy these kinds of features being salvaged from screened and being applied to videogames.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Brendan

@Animasta: Sorry 'bout that, don't feel dumb on my account :P

hussatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By hussatron

Like I said in the previous thread, Alex mentioned on Twitter that he might do some Encyclopedia Bombastica video from his home and I wish he'd actually do it. Alex playing and talking about old games (I think he mentioned Fester's Quest) would be great.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@MildMolasses said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I'm not sure what sort of video editing skills or equipment he has access to personally, but there is a CBSi office in New York he could utilise. I know that Gamespot has at least one guy working out of there and presumably they have facilities he could use. To me the real benefit of him doing some video stuff would be to have his input in a quick look style for games that weren't given any video. Mainly I'm thinking of Neverdead and Homefront which he reviewed but we never really got a non-formal perspective from him on

Reeeally. Interesting, that's a definite opportunity for something. Even if he paired up with the Gamespot dude for quicklooks to have someone to bounce stuff off that would be cool.

Basically more Alex is a good thing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By csl316
@Milkman said:

@csl316 said:

Every time Alex comes up I realize how much I miss him and Rorie going all out on Screened. And then I bring up that he's in awesome writer so at least they're playing to his strengths.

I know, man.  I know....

They really were one hell of a duo.  The podcast usually had some interesting discussions, even that time Ryan showed up and made them feel terrible about themselves.  Well done features (cool concepts mixed Joey's ace editing), Rorie's participation in the forums, and a cool community made that site a daily stop for me.  But Rorie was killing himself toward the end there, and even Alex admitted that his own interest was waning.  It's a shame they never got to staff up because a 4 man operation would've made it an amazing site.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By dtat

Indulge me in quoting myself from another similar thread if you would:

"With a site built so entirely around on-camera personalities, having a regular contributor that neither appears on camera or in the podcast is very odd.

For example, when I saw the Walking Dead review was up, my reaction was "Oh awesome! The guys have been talking about this one for months! I can't wait to get an overall perspective of the whole package!" Then it was an Alex review...I have literally not heard him say anything about it beforehand because he doesn't appear on podcasts or videos. Jeff has said repeatedly that the strength of Giant bomb is that their reviews have context. You get to hear their opinions constantly through podcast and video. You get a real sense for how they view games. Then the review is much more useful, because you know them as a person. Not so with Alex for many people. You can't coast on the hold-over Gamespot crowd's prior knowledge of him forever."

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brendan

@hussatron: I agree that an Encyclopedia Bombastica style feature would be cool, but I also hope that Alex can bring some other fresh ideas to broaden the sites content as well as increase his presence. Tall order, I know :P

@csl316: I never got around to listening to all of the Screened podcasts. Would you mind letting me know which one you are describing?

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By villainy

Encyclopedia Bombastica is a hell of a huge job for one person.. I liked Alex's writing when he was in full on cynic mode and I like it even more now that he's turned it down a notch or two. Video content would definitely be appreciated.

In a perfect world Ana Hurka-Robles would be behind the camera while Alex tours the east coast of gaming, but alas.

Edit: Should have refreshed before typing.. Encyclopedia Bombastica is pretty close to a "Besties" for GB if you ask me. Think of it as a dueling series through gaming history between Jeff, Alex, and whoever else wants to jump in. The existing series is still very new, there's definitely room for some changes before the format is locked down.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ben_H
@Dtat said:

"With a site built so entirely around on-camera personalities, having a regular contributor that neither appears on camera or in the podcast is very odd.

For example, when I saw the Walking Dead review was up, my reaction was "Oh awesome! The guys have been talking about this one for months! I can't wait to get an overall perspective of the whole package!" Then it was an Alex review...I have literally not heard him say anything about it beforehand because he doesn't appear on podcasts or videos. Jeff has said repeatedly that the strength of Giant bomb is that their reviews have context. You get to hear their opinions constantly through podcast and video. You get a real sense for how they view games. Then the review is much more useful, because you know them as a person. Not so with Alex for many people. You can't coast on the hold-over Gamespot crowd's prior knowledge of him forever."

If you are so worried about not knowing him, look up his old stuff to get a feeling for who he is. It isn't that hard. He was on a lot of early Bombcasts and has been in and out of content on the site since it started. There is also the giant reserve of Gamespot content you can look up on him. It isn't that hard to get informed on who he is.
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By csl316
@Brendan: It was towards the end.

Hmm.... try this link.  It's 1-9-2012.

"Ryan, do you even listen to our podcast?"   "No!"
viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By viking_funeral

Can they use that holographic technology they used to resurrect Tupac to just beam him into the studio every week on TNT?

If not, then why did they join CBS, if not for access to hologram technology?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Brendan

@Dtat: Part of the reason I started this thread was because I saw other well reasoned responses in the other one. Basically I agree with you :)

@Ben_H: What you're saying makes sense for any individual user, but I'm viewing this from the perspective of any future viewer as a group. It doesn't make sense for a sites strategy to be limited to leaving it up to the user to familiarize themselves with the personalities of a personality driven place.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I for one think alex is a great asset to the sight.A video series along the lines of other giant bomb stuff would be great.How anybody could hate anyone on this site is beyond me.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Brendan

@csl316: Thanks!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Animasta

@Viking_Funeral said:

Can they use that holographic technology they used to resurrect Tupac to just beam him into the studio every week on TNT?

If not, then why did they join CBS, if not for access to hologram technology?

this is a good point

trav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By trav

Lol'd at the thread title.

Alex should Skype into the Bombcast in a segment called, "Alex on the Sit." Other candidates: "Alex is full of Sit," "Take a Sit with Alex," "Alex on Sit," and "Insitful News with Alex." Look at all those entendres!

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By dtat

@Ben_H said:

@Dtat said:

If you are so worried about not knowing him, look up his old stuff to get a feeling for who he is. It isn't that hard. He was on a lot of early Bombcasts and has been in and out of content on the site since it started. There is also the giant reserve of Gamespot content you can look up on him. It isn't that hard to get informed on who he is.

I DO know him. But not everyone does. I happen to be one of those hold-over people I referred to. I think it's unreasonable for people to have to do research on reviewers on a site with so few personalities. Would you like the site more or less if all of the reviews were written by people who never appeared on podcasts or videos? You COULD go back and look at a bunch of Jeff's old reviews or his old video stuff. But you don't have to. Just tune into the podcast every week. Not only that, but you get to hear him talk about CURRENT things. The things you then go and read about. It's all about context.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41  Edited By willin

@Milkman said:

@csl316 said:

BRING BACK THE PUPPY SCALE

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By zeforgotten

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought that the guy had a very good point. 
Sadly the community here is terrible and if you're post count isn't very high then whatever you say doesn't mean a thing. (Even if that person might've been a user for 50 years) 

Would be great to see Alex in more video content and as someone have already said bring some of the Screened stuff to Giant Bomb in a way like the "Defend your 'whatever'" thing. 
Defend your flightstick! 

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Mystyr_E

I think....IMO of course, that we should switch Alex with Patrick. I know, I know, I'm being "that guy" but when it comes to down to informative news and articles, Patrick's really good.

When it comes down to discussion of games and showing them off (via quicklooks), it brings about butting in incessantly and going on about how the game is "more fun" if you play it in a certain way. Just me 2cents is all.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By csl316
@Willin

@Milkman said:

@csl316 said:

BRING BACK THE PUPPY SCALE

There's one puppy but four paws so it gets four puppies!
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By TheHBK

Well when I think of Alex, I think of what he did to Matt Rorie. I think it went a little something like this...

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By wjb

Doing some video series from home would make a good addition to the content here and give him a stronger presence. It's kind of a tease when he's a staff member and all he contributes is news/reviews. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his writing, but it's Alex, man! He's a peacock. You got to let him fly!

I wished since the move to CBSi, they would have the opportunity to fly him out more than once or twice a year. I don't know what his situation is like in Queens, but people travel for work all the time. Like, it would've been cool if he showed up for the Wii U stream or some future all day event.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PillClinton

What do you want to see from Alex in the future?

Screened 2: Screeneder with Rorie too.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I'd like to see him start reviewing games I care about. It seems that 90% of his reviews are for horrible games no one has heard of or would consider. I would like to see some sort of video or something with him though.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Grimluck343

@Yummylee said:

I would love to see Alex continue TANG so as to combine his love of film and games. And for the sake my love watching him writhe when reviewing terrible films. Hell, he could even just write it up instead maybe. He's easily the best and most flavourful writer across the entire staff, and his Nic Cage movie editorial things were hilarious.

This is a brilliant idea.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By Phatmac

I'm surprised he hasn't done a video of him playing games like Patrick.