Alien: Isolation sequel coming to...phones?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I guess so! Sega continues to Sega it up by announcing Alien: Blackout for phones today.

SURVIVE OR DIE

Using only the space station’s limited power supply to operate a holographic map, surveillance cameras, and motion tracker, attempt to remain hidden and protect your crew from the perfect hunter in seven fear-inducing levels.

A NEW CHAPTER IN THE ALIEN FRANCHISE

A new chapter in the Alien franchise following the saga of Amanda Ripley, Ellen Ripley’s daughter, between the films Alien and Aliens.

FIRST CLASS ALIEN MOBILE EXPERIENCE

An immersive and captivating Alien experience, perfectly designed for mobile gaming, bringing the Alien story to life.

ENCOUNTER FEAR AGAIN AND AGAIN

Every decision can lead to a different conclusion. Players can test different strategies and theories to outlast the Xenomorph in pursuit of victory!

Wow, none of those really detail how this game will actually play! The screenshots likewise aren't too revealing:

No Caption Provided

I would kind of assume that Power would refill over time but be purchasable, but if there's a limit of 5 that might not be correct. They're calling it a "premium" mobile game that you can "pre-order," so maybe it'll just be a flat fee thing?

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'd like to see more information about this. Can't say I'm not intrigued by it, I do enjoy mobile games quite a bit.

It looks like it might be a sort of puzzle survival horror(?). Those screenshots have a Five Nights at Freddy's vibe.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I am still prejudiced against phone games as I always view them through the lens of micro transaction hell. I'm sure there are plenty out there that do it right but there are so many more that do not.

That said, the Alien franchise hasn't been doing all that well these past few years. Prometheus had an awful script, characters that made you want to scream at the TV or at the very least painfully roll your eyes, but I did feel like it had character. Covenant was just nonsensically bad. I'll watch the next one because it's an Alien movie so of course I will but old IP's aren't doing as well as they should be. With todays technology it seems like an awesome Alien game or movie is a no-brainer, look at the resources they have to work with, but no one seems to have struck gold.

That recent Predator remake is an absolute abomination.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

Ugh, I hate this.

And I'd hate it even if it were a paid-for game with no further microtransactions involved. Touch screen only gaming isn't necessarily a bad thing, but attaching a game that only works on a big-screen console or up-close PC monitor to a tiny mobile screen that's going to be half-covered by your fingers sucks.

EDIT: Better context - I first heard about this from Kotaku, who says it's going to be a sequel to Alien Isolation.

@humanity said:

I am still prejudiced against phone games as I always view them through the lens of micro transaction hell. I'm sure there are plenty out there that do it right but there are so many more that do not.

That said, the Alien franchise hasn't been doing all that well these past few years. Prometheus had an awful script, characters that made you want to scream at the TV or at the very least painfully roll your eyes, but I did feel like it had character. Covenant was just nonsensically bad. I'll watch the next one because it's an Alien movie so of course I will but old IP's aren't doing as well as they should be. With todays technology it seems like an awesome Alien game or movie is a no-brainer, look at the resources they have to work with, but no one seems to have struck gold.

That recent Predator remake is an absolute abomination.

The real difficulty with an Alien video game is that you need to have a tone similar to either Aliens - that is, gung-ho space marines ooh-rahing their way through an industrial complex overrun with a bunch of monsters - or you need a tone similar to Alien - that is, one or a handful of people stuck in an isolated location with one seemingly invincible monster that can rip you to shreds in a second. One of these is overdone and would be written off as mediocre even if it were well-made and one of them is a sales pitch that should be impossible but that Alien Isolation actually managed to pull off, but they had to thrown in evil haywire androids and crazy humans to go alongside the alien threat. And that pitch only works once, because the second time around is just a retread of the same idea.

I think Alien Isolation is probably the best Alien-related thing anyone's going to get... maybe ever again, at least until whoever calls the shots at Fox steps back and lets someone who understands the franchise take hold of it. Ridley Scott isn't that person. James Cameron could do it, I think, if he had someone who could say "no" to him and could distract himself away from making and/or adapting anime. Really, I think that anyone who could do something with that franchise probably doesn't want to get mixed-up in the expectations that comes with it.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading the description it almost sounds like Five Nights at Freddies but with aliens instead of animatronic bears.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having rewatched the first two movies yesterday (and this time Aliens came off as weirdly fun), I have a strong desire to play the copy of Alien:Isolation that's been sitting on my Steam account for years untouched totally not because I'm too chicken to play it.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Hayt

Man Alien Isolation was so fucking good. This seems like a total misfire.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually think the basic idea for this is fantastic. Being in the Gorman/Ripley situation, monitoring and guiding others remotely while they have to deal with a monster, is a great concept for an alien game. I didn't like Alien Isolation that much on a conceptual level, but I think this really has potential. Here's hoping it hits steam as well.

There was a PC game that came out a while ago called Deadnaut that has the same basic idea. It's a more substantial game than this seems to be, but it doesn't have the Alien license. Folks should check it out if the concept sounds cool but the mobile game part has you worried.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Acura_Max

They also released a teaser trailer. The trailer might not give clear gameplay but it does give an impression that the game will be like Five Nights at Freddy's. It's a cynical idea, but it makes sense why this would be made. Those types of games were pretty popular.

Loading Video...

The good is that there will be a full fledge AAA Alien game for the PC in the future. The bad news is that this game will not be the kind of game that most people are hoping for when they think of Alien. It's going to be "a massively multiplayer online shooter set in the Alien cinematic universe." (source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01/07/alien-blackout-is-real-is-a-mobile-game)

And here's a quote from the people making the game:

Cold Iron Studios is led by CEO Craig Zinkievich, CTO Shannon Posniewski, and creative director Matt Highison. The development team includes industry veterans who've worked on various high-profile titles, including BioShock Infinite, Metroid Prime 3, Neverwinter, and City of Heroes.

"We are thrilled about the opportunity to explore an amazing and rich universe," Zinkievich said. "Our background in building online worlds and taking established franchises to the next level in interactive entertainment is a precise fit with our product roadmap ahead; we can’t wait to share more information soon."- Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/17/alien-game-in-development-at-cold-iron-studios