• 123 results
Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Masha2932

Most if not all of us have been playing games for a long time and there are basic things that all games should have regardless of genre. Hopefully we can make up a list. I'll start 

All games should have: 

1. Subtitles during cut-scenes and key dialogue sequences 
2. Skippable cut-scenes 
3. New game plus 
4. Customisable controls or alternate control schemes

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

There is always a good reason to not include any given feature.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ
  1. Pausable cutscenes
  2. Fully customisable controls
@nintendoeats said: 

What would give reason to not include a feature that lets you pause a cutscene?
Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Kyle

Oh, thank god. I was afraid you were going to say "split-screen multiplayer."

I would disagree with the "subtitles during cutscenes" one though. I don't like subtitles. I agree that there should be an option for it, but I would never want it to be always-on.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FritzDude

Euphoria physic engine... Think about it.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Kyle

@FluxWaveZ said:

@nintendoeats said:

What would give reason to not include a feature that lets you pause a cutscene?

Yeah, I would have to disagree with that as well. Some things, such as pausing cutscenes, are always a good idea.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Siphillis

Dinosaurs.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Twitchey

Tits, or they need to leave the area

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nintendoeats

@FluxWaveZ: That's definitely a tricky one, but I think I have an answer. Pausing a cutscene breaks flow. The designer may decide that the flow of their cutscene is vital enough to the game experience that they are better off forcing the player to shout "after this cutscene!" than letting them pause it. I mean, that would have to be one INTENSE frigging cutscene, but little decisions like that can be really important to the overall experience. So no, not all games should have cutscene pausing. And for the record, there are probably less contrived reasons that I haven't thought of.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By TehFlan
@Siphillis said:
Dinosaurs.
Good man.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By WickedCestus

- Anime cutscenes.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Sooperspy

Subtitles.
Good Soundtrack.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Aronman789

Boob physics.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

...an adult only rating!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@supermike6 said:
 - Anime cutscenes.
Heh, that'd sure make a lot of Western games super crazy. 

@nintendoeats: Sure, but isn't more options always a good thing? Wouldn't it be better to give the player choice rather than limit what they can do? I guess I can understand in a game where the cutscenes are short, but it's essential in a game like Metal Gear Solid 4, even when pacing can be important for the more dramatic scenes of the game.
Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Loose
@Twitchey said:
Tits
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PeasantAbuse
@FritzDude said:

Euphoria physic engine... Think about it.

YES
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho

Not allowing me to skip a cutscene would be like a DVD not allowing me to choose a scene or fast forward.  
In a similar vien, games should catch up to DVDs from 10 years ago and allow people to choose to play a game from any given preset scene. Because they own the product. For people who think I should suffer through some shitty fetchquest to "earn" the part of the game I want to get to, attach achievements or some other meaningless thing to not skipping chapters. But a product should be about giving people the ability to experience what they want. I don't feel like "backtrack to 7 different areas and collect some mandatory shit so we can pad the playtime" is essential to my experience and I'm okay missing a fraction of the story by skipping it. The game should allow for that. Cus the alternative is giving up on the game completely.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nintendoeats

@FluxWaveZ: The issue at hand here is whether a feature should be in ALL games. MGS IV absolutely needed cutscene pausing, because it's absurd to expect any player to be able to put their lives on hold for those periods of time, especially without any kind of indication of how long a cutscene would be. All I'm saying is that it is not outside the realm of possibility that an individual game could be better off without that feature.

EDIT: Oh yeah, choice. The funny thing is, people think that they know what they want, but they are often quite wrong. Part of a game designer's job is to figure out what will genuinely deliver the best experience. Sometimes that means taking away a toy that player thinks that they need.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@ryanwho: I'm not against what you're suggesting, but it's understandable that developers will never include a feature akin to what you're suggesting because the amount of used game sales would increase significantly.
shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shinigami420

@supermike6 said:

- Anime cutscenes.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Like the Giantbomb Crew mentioned before, giving you multiple options to change in the sound mix.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By beforet

Quality voice acting and soundtrack. Sound design has a pretty large effect on my enjoyment of a game.

I'm going to disagree with New Game+. I think it's only a good feature for RPGs, to give a second playthrough that god like feeling. Even then, it's hardly necessary.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nintendoeats

@ryanwho:

You would essentially be removing the "game" part of video games. To quote Yahtzee, "I thought that the "game" part of the term video game implied that gameplay obligations WERE WHAT I WANTED."

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ryanwho
@FluxWaveZ said:
@ryanwho: I'm not against what you're suggesting, but it's understandable that developers will never include a feature akin to what you're suggesting because the amount of used game sales would increase significantly.
I don't follow. By not letting me skip tedious shit, they're compelling me to give up on a game faster. I'm more than happy to trade in a game once it decided I need to slog through 5 hours of boring shit to progress. If they allowed me to skip that, I'd probably be less compelled to sell that motherfucker. If the idea is putting brick walls in games means people keep the game cus they'll eventually finish it, I don't buy that.  But really it wouldn't create a significant sway in used game sales one way or another. Point of fact, developers could data collect what it was that people skipped most and learn from that. When you skip a scene, you send a little ping over to the QA for the game and now they know 60% of people skipped over the "push a rock uphill with our bad physics engine" chapter.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho
@nintendoeats said:

@ryanwho:

You would essentially be removing the "game" part of video games. To quote Yahtzee, "I thought that the "game" part of the term video game implied that gameplay obligations WERE WHAT I WANTED."

So if I enjoy the assassinations in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood I also must enjoy the awful horse riding? Its impossible for me to like one part of a game and not the other parts. Brilliant point.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By kingzetta
@ryanwho said:

Not allowing me to skip a cutscene would be like a DVD not allowing me to choose a scene or fast forward.  In a similar vien, games should catch up to DVDs from 10 years ago and allow people to choose to play a game from any given preset scene. Because they own the product. For people who think I should suffer through some shitty fetchquest to "earn" the part of the game I want to get to, attach achievements or some other meaningless thing to not skipping chapters. But a product should be about giving people the ability to experience what they want. I don't feel like "backtrack to 7 different areas and collect some mandatory shit so we can pad the playtime" is essential to my experience and I'm okay missing a fraction of the story by skipping it. The game should allow for that. Cus the alternative is giving up on the game completely.

They made the game and they want you to play it, also you should play that Alone in the dark game.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nintendoeats

@ryanwho: The way to solve that problem is to make the game better, not to remove the whole concept of playing the game to unlock stuff. Brilliant strawman argument.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Loose
@nintendoeats said:

@ryanwho: The way to solve that problem is to make the game better, not to remove the whole concept of playing the game to unlock stuff. Brilliant strawman argument.

This.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By JJOR64

E. Honda.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@ryanwho: Actually, I'm not even sure what I meant by used game sales would increase... I guess I just immediately thought that since a lot of players are out to finish games instead of playing them, this could make it easier for them to reach their goals. 

But aren't the mechanics like "Boss Rushes" or "End game fetch quests (ala Zelda: WW triforce gathering)" included in games to artificially increase the game's length? You seem like you'd rather sell games when you get frustrated with them in segments such as these and that's okay, but I think the majority of people would just rather progress than have to sell a game they started. 
TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TotalEklypse

The BFG

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DAFTPUNK

naked cartoon pussy is all I need in a game!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho
@nintendoeats said:

I'm not sure who made you the person who dictates what other people want to experience in their games. If choosing scenes defeats the purpose of a game, it defeats the purpose of a movie. But DVDs still have the scene selection tool so I guess DVDs remove the WHOLE CONCEPT of watching a movie. But why watch a movie if you're not going to experience it correctly, nintendoeats insists, as the emissary of public opinion. If you don't play through a shitty part of the game, you're missing the whole concept of a game. Which is that you can't just play the parts you enjoy, because games are much  much more serious than that. Its not like "game" is a synonym for having fun. Games are about doing things you don't like to earn the things you like. Wait no, that's work. That's the opposite of a game. I really don't think everyone feels games should be work like you do.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nintendoeats

@ryanwho: I'm not really in the mood to write a treatise on this subject, which is pretty much what I would have to do to explain it in a way that makes real and proper sense. I'll try to go pithy: If you don't make the players work for stuff, they usually won't appreciate it. Putting on all the cheats is fun for a while, but it isn't as satisfying as beating a game and saying "I did that all on my fucking lonesome." The problem is, once again, that people often don't actually know what they want until you give it to them.

And yes actually, skipping half-way through a movie the first time you watch it IS pretty stupid.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Twitchey said:
Tits, or they need to leave the area
Go back to 4chan.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho
@FluxWaveZ said:
@ryanwho: Actually, I'm not even sure what I meant by used game sales would increase... I guess I just immediately thought that since a lot of players are out to finish games instead of playing them, this could make it easier for them to reach their goals.  But aren't the mechanics like "Boss Rushes" or "End game fetch quests (ala Zelda: WW triforce gathering)" included in games to artificially increase the game's length? You seem like you'd rather sell games when you get frustrated with them in segments such as these and that's okay, but I think the majority of people would just rather progress than have to sell a game they started. 
Frustrated is a loaded word, implying difficulty. I guess I'm not "hardcore" because some chores, easy chores but chores, have been mandated in order to progress and I don't have the time in my life to throw hours away on something I don't like just for the possibility that it might get better again later. And I think at this point, a lot of people don't have that time. And plenty of people do, and good on them I guess. But its really nobody's place to dictate someone else's experience. If they don't want to play through segment x, I'm not sure how its any different than them not wanting to watch cutscene y, or do sidequest z.  The difference is its the main game and the main game should be enjoyable the full way through, but products aren't sold based on what they should do. They're sold on what they are. And often, games are uneven experiences, giving the option (not a mandate, nobody has to use it) to skip scenes solves a reality found in a lot of games and brings games closer to the modernization that music and film woke up to years ago. You can buy songs instead of albums, you can skip scenes in movies, yet somehow the music and film industry didn't implode from people experiencing their medium "incorrectly".
Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aronman789 said:
Boob physics.
oh my god
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Kjellm87

Yeah, I can only think of one thing: Skip-able cut-scenes.

They're nice enough during the first playthrough, but after year 2000, not many of my favorite games has been specially story-heavy, it gets in the way for the gameplay.

Heck, I think Mario takes too long getting out of that pipe in Mario 64 sometimes.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By laserbolts
All content that's ready to go at launch in the fucking game. I don't mind dlc that is produced after the game is shipped but when it is left out so that people that really like the game have to pay another ten or fifteen on top of the sixty, it's bullshit.
Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mike76x
@nintendoeats said:

@FluxWaveZ: The issue at hand here is whether a feature should be in ALL games. MGS IV absolutely needed cutscene pausing, because it's absurd to expect any player to be able to put their lives on hold for those periods of time, especially without any kind of indication of how long a cutscene would be. All I'm saying is that it is not outside the realm of possibility that an individual game could be better off without that feature.

EDIT: Oh yeah, choice. The funny thing is, people think that they know what they want, but they are often quite wrong. Part of a game designer's job is to figure out what will genuinely deliver the best experience. Sometimes that means taking away a toy that player thinks that they need.

Cutscene pausing is a necessity. 
If I have to go to the bathroom, I'm going to miss it anyway, unless I pull the batteries from my controller. 
Also once I've beaten a game I should be able to skip the cutscenes, I'm looking at you Mortal Kombat.
Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mike76x
@ryanwho said:
Not allowing me to skip a cutscene would be like a DVD not allowing me to choose a scene or fast forward.  In a similar vien, games should catch up to DVDs from 10 years ago and allow people to choose to play a game from any given preset scene. Because they own the product. For people who think I should suffer through some shitty fetchquest to "earn" the part of the game I want to get to, attach achievements or some other meaningless thing to not skipping chapters. But a product should be about giving people the ability to experience what they want. I don't feel like "backtrack to 7 different areas and collect some mandatory shit so we can pad the playtime" is essential to my experience and I'm okay missing a fraction of the story by skipping it. The game should allow for that. Cus the alternative is giving up on the game completely.
DVDs force you to watch the "do not pirate commercials", which is funny since the only people that see that are people that buy DVDs legitimately.
Blu-Rays also force you to watch commercials and opening animations, and when you try to skip right to the menu you see a big red "no you can't " symbol on your screen.
That said, I agree with you. My game, I should be able to fast forward the story.
AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AckbarTheGreat
@Siphillis said:
Dinosaurs.
It's a proven fact that dinosaurs make everything better.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By hockeymask27

HARDCORE NUDITY. I want to see Mario's junk.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised no one has said Speedtree or Nolan North yet. 

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By blueaniman93

Pausable and Skippable Cutscenes should always be included...ALWAYS.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LiquidSwords

Unsuck option

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#48  Edited By Grumbel

* ability to select subtitles and audio language separately (most games still fail at it)
* ability to select language in-game, overriding the system default (many games already do that, but its extra annoying when they don't)
* have all languages the game was released in available (huge number of games fails at this, if disk space is an issue, offer downloadable speech pack)
* X and Y axis invert (Y axis invert is standard thanks to Microsoft TCR, X axis invert is still missing sometimes)
* ability to independently select audio, music and sfx volume (luckily already standard almost everywhere)
* subtitles
* save everywhere (used to be standard on PC, is becoming rare these days, also everywhere should really be everywhere, even in cutscenes or dialogs, almost all games fail at this, except emulator stuff)
* fast forward/rewind in cutscenes  (never seen that)
* fast forward/rewind in gameplay, Super Guide style when the game allows
* build in invulnerability, unlimited weapons and level skip options (used to be standard part of many flight games on PC, is getting rather rare)
* ability to replay/rewatch any part of the game easily (level select is luckily provided often, but sometimes lacks granularity)
* ability to select resolution and aspect ration separately (lots of games fail at this)
* gamepad support (almost standard, but still some fail at it, like Mass Effect)
* GPU and CPU scalability (graphic options are almost everywhere, options to lower CPU use exist almost never)

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By TehFlan
@ryanwho: I suppose scene selection could work in some games, but I feel like it would be a really bad idea in most RPGs, and probably in some other cases I can't really think of, so the idea of that being in every game seems dumb to me. Maybe an ability to go to any point in the game once you've already beat it, kind of like how The World Ends With You does it? If that was standard, it would be pretty cool.
PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

1. Sound Test
2. Level Select