All I really need to hear to be ok with this

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4el

The reason GB is great is because its staffed by talented people who beholden only to themselves and their fans. If Jeff decided to blow a stupid part of the budget on Skylanders. He could. They were their own masters.

I don't think Jeff or Ryan or anyone else at GB has made a mistake. They have no reason to risk what they've built. They're not dumb and they've done a great job with this site. That doesn't mean I trust CBS.

If this goes south. Can GB walk and not get sued into the ground? Seriously, you guys have protections in place right?

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By AngeTheDude

I don't think they were so desperate that they would get themselves stuck in that situation. Like Jeff said, they have been getting offers from lots of companies for a while now.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By BonOrbitz

As Jeff said, even though it's Gamespot they wouldn't put themselves in a position to not be able to do what they've wanted. They wouldn't go back there if it's the same place they left. If they want to dare to be stupid, then they can dare to be stupid.

k4el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k4el

@AngeTheDude said:

I don't think they were so desperate that they would get themselves stuck in that situation. Like Jeff said, they have been getting offers from lots of companies for a while now.

Sure. Like I said. They're not dumb. This is how they make their living. They've spent a lot of time putting it together. Ultimately a lot of folks here are over reacting because the GB guys have put their business and income on the line potentially and they wouldn't do it if that didn't make sense. However, I still really dig this site. Which means I'm a bit concerned that the core of it will change or that something corporate and crappy will happen that is out of Jeff and Ryan's hands.

Video game's journalism is notoriously shady and gamespot isn't exactly the best example of rising above that. There isn't really another review scene that is so closely tied to and involved in the business of the products it reviews and covers. GB is great because of their Independence and ability to distance themselves. It's really hard to see how this doesn't compromise that ability to some extent. Even with the best intentions.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sparklykiss

This is rather worrisome, that I can understand. But if we could move this discussion to this thread, that'd be great. Thanks.