Alright, everyone post your latest GAME STACK.

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

AKA your recent plays. And before the concern trolling starts, I put all these back on my shelf in alphabetical order shortly after I took this picture.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By glots

Instead of concern trolling, I feel like you're more likely to end up having your topic filled with pictures of Steam/Xbone/PS4 digital game libraries. I currently have seven physical copies with both new consoles combined and of those Nathan Drake Collection: Special Edition is the one I've played recently, others dating back months. I used to be a fan of the physical media, especially since I could sell/trade those off when I planned on buying something new, but getting a job and money made that mostly pointless. Another thing to change that was getting hold of a fast interwebs connection. Digital future is now!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3 chaser324  Moderator

Aside from a few Japan-only PS1 games that I bought on eBay, I don't think I've purchased any physical games in the past two years.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@glottery: I second this. I only get boxed games now if the offer is too good to refuse (DMC Remastered for £4 the latest example.)

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery: Yeah, it's become difficult to do things like this because my most recent plays are nearly all digital games, across three different platforms (Vita, PS4, PC).

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at that Front Mission Evolved box makes me sad. Front Mission games were really good a long time ago.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

No Caption Provided

Also:

• The Beginner's Guide
  • Downwell
  • Life Is Strange
  • Tales from the Borderlands
  • Undertale
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition (Jaws of Hakkon, The Descent, Trespasser DLCs)
  • Cibele
  • and lots of Diablo III
riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#8 riostarwind  Moderator
No Caption Provided

October in review:

Super Mario Maker is awesome

Corpse Party Blood Drive unfortunately doesn't live up to its potential.

OP: PW3 is a good Dynasty Warriors game.

The GBA Castlevania's hold up well and are worth playing.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery: I ain't arguing semantics. A stack is a stack, be it physical or digital, I got a ton of digital games too.

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc: I actually think it's a decent little game despite having braindead gameplay in contrast with the extremely demanding turn-based strategy of the originals. I picked this game up because I thought the idea of customizing a wanzer and shootin stuff seemed alright, and Evolved does provide that if nothing else. I'm simultaneously playing Front Mission 3 on my Vita, which is an AWESOME game. Squenix should really remaster Front Mission 5 and port it to PS4/XB1.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The games that I own on disk that I've played quite a bit of this month. Digitally I've been playing DiRT Rally and Pillars of Eternity.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asko25: I've never played 5. I think this little conversation is going to make me load up that English patch and see what happens.

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clairvoyantvibrations: I absolutely loved Second Sight when I played it. The gameplay is decent, but the narrative is what sold it for me. Even if it's not the greatest story in the world, I really enjoyed how they presented it. I felt the same way about Haze, which is another okay game with a good story that suffered from being REALLY overhyped and trying to compete with Halo even though it's completely different.

rahlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Cycling between these 3 at the moment. Not really into digital versions unless its pc.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#16 fisk0  Moderator
No Caption Provided

I've had a kinda limited budget for the past few months, but these are my physical purchases of the last month or so. I've mostly played Mario Maker.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By mike

@chaser324 said:

Aside from a few Japan-only PS1 games that I bought on eBay, I don't think I've purchased any physical games in the past two years.

Same here, but it's probably more like three or four years for me. Oh, I have a few 3DS games that I bought and never played, if that counts.

Stop resisting the inevitable all-digital future! It'll be less painful if you just assimilate now.

ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:
@chaser324 said:

Same here, but it's probably more like three or four years for me. Oh, I have a few 3DS games that I bought and never played, if that counts.

Stop resisting the inevitable all-digital future! It'll be less painful if you just assimilate now.

I'll be the one laughing when your digital rights get taken away! Laughing from my throne of jewel cases and DVDs because oh god there are so many help

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm honestly struggling to even think of the last physical games I bought; definitely nothing this gen.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By arbayer2

I haven't bought a disc case recently. However, what I wish I could say is that I invested in a local game store, which is increasingly as rare as the discs themselves.

Here's hoping in the next 15 years the hundreds of digital games I've gotten will still exist. My buying behavior may be the cause of my own collection's downfall some day.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

All of the games I've played lately are digital, except Forza 6 and Halo 5.

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll buy physical copies until they stop making them. I like having a collection, and I hardly bought into playing and trading even as a kid.

I remember one time was particularly crappy. I went to my local game store and traded in my PSOne, my clear purple Game Boy Color, a copy of Echo Night: Beyond and some other stuff, don't remember what I got but I do remember thinking it was a bad deal. I had a PS2 and a GBA at the time (still do!), but looking back, I actually wish I had kept all that instead of selling it off and getting nothing of value.

I do trade games in once in a while though. I traded in a few games at EB for Destiny on PS3 back when it launched, and then I traded that copy of Destiny to another local shop in exchange for a $25 Xbox card to buy Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition. That was pretty great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I don't really have a physical stack to show as its bad at home. I do have a HowLongToBeat profile makes me somewhat sad every time I update it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@mike said:
@chaser324 said:

I'll be the one laughing when your digital rights get taken away! Laughing from my throne of jewel cases and DVDs because oh god there are so many help

See, the problem with the assumption is that physical games aren't really that much different from digital these days. As far as PC games go, if Steam goes kaput for some reason and doesn't unlock all of the games, everyone loses access to them, even if they bought physical copies. Same for Origin and UPlay - if those companies don't unlock those games, everyone loses.

With console games, it doesn't matter if you bought digital or physical either. Day one patches are extremely common these days and when the servers holding all of those patches are shut down... well, hope you had all of your games installed and fully patched up somewhere, otherwise you're playing everything unpatched, pre-release bugs and crashes fully intact! Also, that hard drive they're all stored on? That's going to die someday, and it's not going to be 20 years from now, either.

The only real way to avoid having all of your digital rights taken away is to, in a twist of irony, buy digital copies of games from GOG. Not everything is available from there, but anything you buy from GOG.com can be stored on a hard drive and copied to and from as many places as you want and installed to as many devices as you want, complete with any and all patches and updates.

(Yes, yes, I'm aware of that other way, but the mods don't like us mentioning that other way and I would only use it as a last resort anyway).

ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Really for me it's slow internet speeds that keep me buying modern games physically. I also like to buy old games and a lot of those aren't available online or are just cool to own. I've also started buying more game on GoG solely for the reason I can put the installers in a folder and that's that.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized that I only bought two physical copies of games this year are Majora's Mask 3D and Super Mario Maker. Other than that, I'm all digital. Considering that most retail PC games these days are becoming boxes with Steam codes in them, I might as well cut the middle man and get it straight from Steam. I understand that I'm lucky to have a great internet connection and that drives me towards the All-Digital Utopia Valve strives for.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#27  Edited By bobafettjm

@asko25: I have been on the look out for that Nightmare Before Christmas game, is it any good?

@clairvoyantvibrations:Second Sight is a really overlooked game. I REALLY love that game.

ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bobafettjm: Second Sight is alright! The combat isn't the best but it's physics mechanics and story are interesting. It's kind of a shame that it came out so close to Half Life 2, which took a lot of the ideas Second Sight presented and did them better and appealed to a wider audience. Like... Second Sight totally begins with a dude's face super close to the player talking, probably to show off the facial animation (which I probably would have found impressive back in 04) but then Half Life comes out a couple months later and does the exact same thing, but no one even mentions Second Sight. I suppose it's like the Kill Switch of facial animation and physics, with HL 2 being the Gears of War.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By discomposure
No Caption Provided

I'll finally be getting a PS4 & PSTV next month so I'm trying to finish up as many of my PS3 games before then as I can. I've also been replaying some favourites.

I do own a small & slowly growing digital collection but my heart definitely still lies with physical.

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AsKo25

@bobafettjm: it's not bad! Combat is very simple, but they nail the atmosphere and characters. The bosses all have musical numbers while you fight them, which is a nice touch. It's worth owning if you're a fan of the movie and you're up for playing a kid-friendly Devil May Cry. It only cost me 10 bucks at a local shop.

Also, here are some more stacks:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

God bless the stacks.