Am I the only one with this problem?

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Bones8677

Hey everyone, I have this problem-nothing serious of course- but it must be some form of OCD. 

When I buy a game for one system, I feel compulsion to buy the sequel for the same system for no other reason than to have consistency. An example being Dead Space, I was planning on buying it and its sequel for the PS3. But the EA store was out of stock for the PS3 version so I bought the 360 version, now when Dead Space 2 comes out, I have no choice but to buy it for the 360 even though the PS3 version will have the Wii game. 

I don't fully know why I have this kind of problem. Maybe it has something to do with how I keep my game library in order, all sequels are kept in with their own respective series and are divided among specific systems. So maybe I don't like the idea of having Dead Space on the left hand side the shelf with the 360 games, and Dead Space 2 on the right hand side of the shelf with the PS3 games.

Am I the only one with this kind of problem?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Nope, but that's pretty serious. Spending $60 on a new game just to have consistency.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bones8677

It has nothing to do with money, I buy almost all my games used or later when they are cheaper.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

I usually buy the sequel for the same system as well, unless I hear the sequel is better on the other console (like with Dead Space 2, which comes with Dead Space: Extraction as you mentioned). Some games also use the save files of previous games, so it is necessary to buy the sequel for the same console. 

But it probably does have something to do with the way you organize your games. Unless Dead Space 2 uses the previous game's save file in some way, I think this would be a good way to break your habit and get the better version for the PS3! Break the cycle!

PIZZAPRANKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PIZZAPRANKS

I do the same thing, it makes sense for the sake of organization.

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By dantheman1515

Well I buy all my multiplatform games on my 360, so it just kind of works that way.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ch13696

I have the same problem. For example I bought Suikoden IV. I didn't play much of it, but I'm frantically searching for the other Suikoden's. There's always something to help our problem. With yours you can buy Dead Space on the cheap now at Gamestop. It's about $15 now.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I do the same thing.   
I do it more for controller preference though. 

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

For a long time I did that too.  
But that was ages ago. I did buy Dead Space on the PS3 though so I guess I'm just "lucky" with the whole Dead Space: Extraction thingy coming for the PS3 too.  

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I was planning on doing the same thing with Bioshock 2, but that plan fell through due to the release of Dante's Inferno. I am hoping to do the same thing with Dead Space 2 (lets hope that plan stays) so you are not alone .

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I can't say I've had this problem. It definitely seems to be a strong mental urge but are you sure this qualifies as OCD?

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Demyx

I haven't had anything like this happen, but I don't think it would bother me much. Unless it was Mass Effect.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Rockdalf

Same problem.  Waiting on New Vegas for the 360, just cause I want all the achievements for it too rather than trophies. 

clubsammich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By clubsammich

It's 2010, everyone has some form of technological OCD.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kishan6

i pretty much always do the same thing

Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#16  Edited By Somadude

My brother does that, I don't really understand it. But I'll respect other peoples craziness.
ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By ki11tank
@Perspicacity1 said:
" I do the same thing, it makes sense for the sake of organization. "
yea if your going to get it anyway and there will no real difference in play, i do the same thing.  although i get it for the system i want to in the first place...
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Claude

Weird, I think I've played more sequels than originals. Fallout 3, Civ IV and Fable 2 to just name a few. I have no interest in playing the originals. But the sequels to the sequels... maybe.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Jeust
@Bones8677: Maybe you should brake that trend. If the game is superior for the PS3 buy for it.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20  Edited By Symphony

Yes, you are the only one. How does it feel to be alone in this world? How does it feel?!

Seriously though, get DS2 on PS3. The Marker compels you! Altman Be Praised.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By moelarrycurly

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be consistent.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bones8677
@Symphony: Yeah? Well....uh...I'm gonna let that joke go. >_>
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Symphony
@Bones8677:  What joke? There was no joke. Unitology teachings have warned us off the risks involved with buying DS2 on the 360. You do not want to anger the church, do you?
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bones8677
@Symphony: I already subscribe to a particular church but that's beside the point. ^_^
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Symphony
@Bones8677 said:
" @Symphony: I already subscribe to a particular church but that's beside the point. ^_^ "
Clearly it is the wrong one if it does not promote sacrificing yourself to the necromorphs!
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bones8677
@Symphony: I didn't expect you to be a fan of Dead Space. ^_^
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Symphony
@Bones8677 said:
" @Symphony: I didn't expect you to be a fan of Dead Space. ^_^ "
It was my GotY for 2008 :)
grhud5194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By grhud5194

I do this too, but I usually buy EA games for PS3 (another OCD thing of mine), although I cannot explain why.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bones8677
@Symphony: Well coming back to my topic. Have you never had this problem with games?
agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By agentboolen
@Bones8677:  I usually buy the sequal for the same system to just for the fact that the sequal might try to link the save files together like Mass Effect 2, or other games that do that.  But yea I understand the part about how you organize your games, i do that to....  But I gotta say if I had part 1 on Xbox 360 and Part 2 on the PS3 I would probably join them even though there on different systems.  

Now for the Dead Space sequal you probably should just buy it on the PS3 just because there giving the Wii's ported game bundle in with the PS3's game...  Which is the best reason to buy DS on the PS3 at the moment.
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@Bones8677: Nope. Well, not really. I mean, it really bugs me and makes me worried, but I'll still buy the sequel for a different console. 

For example, I have Call of Duty 4 on my PS3, but have Modern Warfare 2 on my Xbox 360. It's alright, but there's always a though in the back of my mind thinking, "What if when they release MW3, you get something special for having MW and MW2?" If so, I would miss out, even though I have both the games. It's like what DICE does with the whole "Battlefield veteran" thing and it really bugs me.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm glad you didn't buy it for the ps3, you made the right decision, it's the most inferior version. I know i'm going to get a reply for it, however I just want to cite my source. 

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6202552/p-2.html

You can solve your multiplatform dilemma by stop buying the ps3 version for multiplatform games if you care about better textures and overall graphics. Then again I could say the pc version is superior to both of them, however that's irrelevent.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RobotHamster

Never done that, but c'mon, Dead Space 2 on the ps3 is going to be way better because of it including extraction.  I have Dead Space for 360 (1000G!) but when I saw the ps3 I said sucks for you microsoft.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I do not have that problem. I typically go for which ever edition is better, or has more features. For example, Dead Space 2 comes with Extraction, that on-rail shooter, but only currently on the PS3 version. So, I'll be getting that one, even though it's probably only a timed exclusive and Extraction will probably hit XBLA pretty soon.

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bibledoctor

Gotta keep yourself organized, I do the same thing. I like to look at my stack of games and have everything be squared away.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By sjschmidt93

I hate buying a sequel if I don't have the one before it, but I do it anyway.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By AndrewB

I try to do that, but sometimes I can't help myself. I'll usually break my organization on a PC game; most often these days, it'll be a Steam sale that'll get me to bite.

But I remember my Mass Effect 2 dilemma, where I was trying my best to hold off on buying it, heard such universal praise about it, wanted it immediately, and instead of going through Steam and having it delivered in bits, I ended up buying a discounted copy of the 360 version and waiting ages for shipping. All because I own the 360 version of the first game. Of course, there was another big reason for that one: savegame support. I wouldn't have been able to import in my Shepard if I went multi-platform.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By clarke0

I don't buy the sequel unless I actually want the game but... I will generally buy it for the same system I suppose.

My thing is that if there is a series of games I like to play them in order. So I will sometimes put off playing a newer game to play the previous title. I'm trying to break the habit though because some sequels truly overshadow the first game.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Symphony
@Bones8677 said:

" @Symphony: Well coming back to my topic. Have you never had this problem with games? "

Nah, not really. Usually when a sequel came out for a game I enjoyed it was exclusive to the console or I didn't own other consoles it was coming out for. And after the craziness of Square switching from being a long time Nintendo partner to working instead with Sony when the PSX came out, I never really worried about console consistency. 

I have Dead Space for the 360, but will be getting DS2 to for the PS3 since it'll have Extraction and I have an old 360 without hdmi support while my PS3 does have hdmi soooo yeah. Altman Be Praised.

(I should mention I bought Dead Space for the 360 before I owned a PS3)
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Ace829

I don't have it as severe as you but it sorta bugs me that I have games of a series for different systems. Like Final Fantasy XIII for the 360 or Jet Set Radio on the DC and JSRF for the Xbox (There was no choice but still). I feel that dilemma differently with Portal 2. I have Portal for the 360 and it will feel weird buying Portal 2 for the 360 knowing it's the inferior version, whereas I buy it for the PS3 and now I have these games on different consoles. I can see where you are coming from.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shadow

Just get whatever version you want.  Dead Space was the same on both platforms and its sequel probably will be too.