Amazing longform piece by Shack News on Pillars of Eternity, Black Isle, Obsidian and more.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

If you have eyeballs and like RPGs you should probably read this.

In light of the news about Obsidian potentially being bought out I thought more people should check out this amazing piece by David Craddock about CRPGs and game development and Infinity Engine games. It is really special and captures a lot of what makes games like Baldur's Gate/Pillars of Eternity and Black Isle/Obsidian special.

If the buyout is true I really hope it isn't the end of the Obsidian captured in this piece because they are truly one of my favourite groups out there. Have a read. It's basically a novel. I feel like we don't get this sort of stuff in the gaming press and it really deserves as many eyeballs as it can get.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Thanks for the tip! This seems dope. I started reading but will need to set some time aside to finish it.

I loved Planescape way back as a teenager but never got into Baldur’s Gate (I was too young for the first one and the second one felt like it wasn’t contained the way Planescape is). I love the idea of the newer games in the genre and always end up buying them, but never finishing them. It may just be a lack of time thing, but I dunno.

I’ll eventually try Pillars 2, the boat theme seems right up my alley.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@fear_the_booboo: Yeah it's a big read so I suspect this thread will probably not see much action, haha but it's such a big effort by the author that I feel like I need to shout it from the hilltop.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope this ends up being a good thing for Obsidian games. I, personally, don't see Microsoft as a heartless entity in the way that EA is. Microsoft's gaming branch seems to be full of passion for doing things right and nurturing talent.