[Amazon Fire TV + Android TV] The Giant Bomb Enthusiast App

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@fireworksordie: I considered going that route (letting the user pick a quality before hand) but it's a bit more complicated than for non-live videos. For non-live videos the API returns 3 clearly defined video URLs, one for HD, one for HIGH, and one for LOW. With live streams, the API just returns a single stream URL to an m3u8 file that lets the media player pick different tracks from. It wouldn't be impossible to figure out the qualities from that m3u8 URL but as I was saying, it's just not quite as simple as with non-live videos. That's why I currently have it so the media player library gets fed the m3u8 stream URL when the user starts playing the stream and only then surface up the different tracks through the media player APIs. I'll look into how difficult it would be to get the qualities up front before beginning playback though.

Regarding your first update - I checked out the m3u8 that was being served up during yesterdays stream and only saw those two qualities (640x360 and 1280x720) available so I'm guessing it was probably something on GB's end. I've definitely seen 1080p from their live stream API and had that working in the app previously, but who knows - we'll have to wait until their next stream to see if anything changes.

Regarding your second update - Thanks for the heads up! Sounds like you found a crash. Have you seen that same thing happen with any non-live videos or does it only happen when viewing live streams?

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By alecgdouglas

Thanks to the beta testing efforts of @crackity_jones and @baag I've officially released the app on the Google Play Store for Nvidia Shield TV devices!

I may not have fixed all of the compatibility issues yet but I feel as if it's close enough to allow anybody to try it out for themselves and I'll continue to update it to improve the compatibility as we go.

I've updated the original post to reflect this and added a new question to the FAQ about Android TV device support so read that if you have a device you'd like to see added to the supported list on Google Play.

The Giant Bomb Enthusiast App on the Google Play Store

fireworksordie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alecgdouglas: ok- that makes sense! i had assumed that since i can go into the app and see that a live stream is happening, that the app was already parsing the stream URL. long pressing down or up should work totally fine- it's not my intent to make it too complicated of a request for you, especially for a less common use case like this - whatever you think works best.

re: 2: i hopped onto the site on my PC during UPF to see if it was only feeding 720, but i was getting 1080 in the browser (according to the overlay stats in their video player). maybe they're keeping the higher quality feed for use only on the site for now?

re: 3: in my experience with your app, it has only happened with live streams. but of course due to the slow CDN issues that i (and it seems others based on the long forum thread and reddit posts) have been experiencing for archived videos, i've still been mostly using video buddy to save locally and watch afterwards on the shield. i'll try to give some archived videos a whirl on your app and see if i can get it to happen with them. there was unfortunately no "report crash" option for the error, but i assume that's because i'm sideloaded. i'd be happy to do further troubleshooting if i can help somehow.

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By alecgdouglas

@fireworksordie: That's a totally fair assumption - it's really just the difference between parsing what the API returned (status indicating success, a title, an image URL, and a stream URL) and parsing what is actually available through the stream URL.

The 1080p thing is definitely interesting - I'll try to check in during the next stream to see what they're serving up through the API vs what's available on the site.

crackity_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DoctorSmirnoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been looking for ways to stream UPF (and other GB conent) to the tv in my office via the Amazon stick for weeks. Downloaded janky streaming apps, hooked my tablet via HDMI... nothing worked too well. But this app has solved all that. It's awesome! Kudos alecgdouglas and thank you. A much smarter chap than I. : )

fireworksordie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitting the menu button on the stream now right before UPF starts is only showing me Auto and a 360p stream. Very odd.

flammabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been happily using the APK's, so if you wanted to whitelist my Sony KDL-50W805C on the Play Store I'll gladly use that instead :P

LtGrimdark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By LtGrimdark

@alecgdouglas: Quick question: I'm thinking about upgrading to the new Fire Stick and don't want to lose my database (all the synced videos, watched videos, etc.). Could I just dump the app including its DB to my PC via ADB and reinstall it, or do you use the secure storage?

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctorsmirnoff: Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you've found it useful!

@fireworksordie: I missed that stream entirely - did the quality options change once UPF actually started?

@flammabled: In the Google Play developer portal I can only see two options for Sony devices ("BRAVIA 4K 2015 - SVP-DTV15" and "BRAVIA 4K GB– BRAVIA_ATV2") and neither of them match yours so I'm honestly not sure how I would add support for your TV through Google Play. Sorry!

@ltgrimdark: Unfortunately the app stores the video database in secure storage, so it will be unavailable through ADB unless you manage to root your device. However, my plan for this weekend involves spending a bit of time trying to integrate with the new progress syncing API so depending on how long that takes (and how patient you feel like being ;) ) you might be able to save at least some of your data by having it synced with your account on the website. Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA for this feature yet (I haven't had much time to work on the app lately due to work/life/...Zelda).

fireworksordie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By fireworksordie

they did not sadly. could only get 360p the whole time. is there anything i can do to help figure out why the app isn't pulling the full quality options that the desktop site can?

flammabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think "BRAVIA 4K 2015 - SVP-DTV15" is the right one http://stackoverflow.com/a/39680161

mrobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just found out about this app. Was using Video Buddy sideloaded onto my nvidia shield - but this app is amazing as I don't need to use a mouse. Just wanted to say a massive thanks for creating this.

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fireworksordie: Hm, the only thing I can think of is if you're feeling extra keen then next time there's a live stream going on you can visit this URL in your browser to get the HLS stream URL:

https://www.giantbomb.com/api/video/current-live/?api_key=[YOUR API KEY]

(replacing [YOUR API KEY] with your actual API key from https://www.giantbomb.com/api/ )

You should see a response that looks something like this:

{

"success":1,

"video":{

"title":"Giant Bombcast 479",

"image":"static.giantbomb.com\/uploads\/original\/23\/233047\/2924879-onair.jpg",

"stream":"https:\/\/cbsigameslive2-lh.akamaihd.net\/i\/bombcast050217_1@37386\/master.m3u8?b=1-5000"

}

}

(though it might not formatted as nicely)

Grab the "stream" URL from the response (in this case, "https:\/\/cbsigameslive2-lh.akamaihd.net\/i\/bombcast050217_1@37386\/master.m3u8?b=1-5000") and load that in your browser. You can remove the backslashes if you like, but Chrome doesn't seem to mind if you leave them in.

That should cause an .m3u8 file to be downloaded (usually "master.m3u8"). Open the downloaded file in a text editor and you should find something like this:

#EXTM3U

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=1128000,RESOLUTION=640x360,CODECS="avc1.77.30, mp4a.40.2"

https://cbsigameslive2-lh.akamaihd.net/i/bombcast050217_1@37386/index_1000k_av-p.m3u8?sd=10&b=1-5000&rebase=on

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=3128000,RESOLUTION=1280x720,CODECS="avc1.64001f, mp4a.40.2"

https://cbsigameslive2-lh.akamaihd.net/i/bombcast050217_1@37386/index_3000k_av-p.m3u8?sd=10&b=1-5000&rebase=on

That's the data the app is basing its quality selection on, more or less. If you find that the app's options don't match what's in the m3u8 file, try backing out of the stream in the app and relaunching it to see if it changes. If the app is still missing any options then definitely let me know and include what the app was offering you versus what was inside the m3u8 file.

Thanks!

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By alecgdouglas

@flammabled: Good find! If you're willing to be in the beta testing pool for this device then send me a private message with the email address you use to sign in to Google Play and I'll add you to the beta pool and whitelist the device.

@mrobbo: That's so great to hear! Thanks a lot for letting me know, and you're very welcome :)

mrobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to confirm the discussion above - I was watching the 'Murder Island' live and it was definitely lower quality than the HD version now on the archive. I assume it was pulling the High version instead when it was playing live. This is on the Shield.

fireworksordie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alecgdouglas: i work from home on wednesdays and fridays, so if they don't do any streams today (seems like they won't be), i will definitely check this for as many streams as i can this friday.

mrhector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the app duders! This is awesome on the Shield, love that you even included a live streams option.

Feature/Bug: Noticed that long titles do not scroll when the tile is highlighted, it simply shows the text cut off. I know on the Youtube app if the title is too long it will scroll left to right. Just a small nitpick.

Thanks for all the hard work :)

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#119  Edited By MeierTheRed

Thanks for the work you put in to this, really awesome.

fireworksordie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By fireworksordie

so some good news, some bad news.

the m3u8 for the current/ongoing stream (Bring Your B-Game) shows a 432p stream and 2 720p streams (one lower and one higher bitrate). the good news is that this matches the app settings for me currently:

Auto

768x432, 0.81Mbit, id:0

1280x720, 1.30MBit, id:1

1280x720, 3.54MBit, id:2

the bad news is that there is definitely a 1080p 10Mbit stream that i am able to pull from a desktop browser, but that does not reveal itself via the API m3u8. i will PM you all of the details separately, since i am not sure what is readily available or shareable and what is connected to API keys and such.

so your app is clearly just pulling what's available (not surprising) and the issue seems to lie with GB's API. i wonder if this is on purpose or if they just haven't bothered to update the API yet? i would assume it's not on purpose, since they provide the 1080p stream in the browser...

my guess is that GBWest has only been pushing a 360p and 1080p stream recently, with the 1080p not being pushed to the API, which is why i have only had 360p as the option in the app, but i will check that during today's UPF.

EDIT: for UPF, the app is correctly pulling the 2 options available (360p at 1MBit and 720p at 3MBit). there is another stream not available in the API but available in browser, which is 1080p at 6MBit.

the discrepancy between GBEast and GBWest and which/how many streams are available is very odd.

jake54904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks so much for the app man

akudaikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By akudaikon

@alecgdouglas I've been testing this out for the past couple days on my Nexus Player. No issues so far! Feel free to whitelist it if you get a chance! I'll let you know if I run into any issues in the future.

Thanks so much for this app! I've been wanting an Android TV player for a while now!

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By alecgdouglas

@jake54904: You're very welcome :)

@akudaikon: That's good to hear! Thanks for trying it out - I'd be happy to whitelist the Nexus Player if you'll hop in the beta pool. PM the email address you sign into the Play Store with on your Nexus and I'll add you.

fireworksordie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alecgdouglas: please let me know if i can help any way re: streaming updates and whatnot - i'm happy to test or whatever else might contribute. hopefully i didn't make your work more difficult!

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fireworksordie: Thank you for the offer, you've actually helped quite a bit in chasing down why 1080p isn't available for livestreams in the app!

I have a path forward so now I just need to find the time to actually do a bit of coding - hopefully this coming weekend! Thanks again :)

lostinthewired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alecgdouglas Hey duder, I have a 2 Xiaomi MiBox's running Android TV (Marshmallow 6.0.1) and I am willing to QA the app for you and provide feedback if you can whitelist my device.

Product Page: http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

panicswitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lostinthewired: Hey there, hit me up with the email address you use in the Google Play store on your device (in a private message) and I'll add you to the beta tester pool + whitelist your device.

@panicswitch: Thanks!

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#130  Edited By TepidShark

@alecgdouglas: Trying livestreams on Fire TV for press conferences. Seems to be working but I have the Sonic Gigabit so my connection isn't representative of everybody's connection.

Got a Player Error 404 at the end of Ubisoft and before Sony which stopped the stream. Switched to Youtube stream.

fireworksordie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By fireworksordie

For some reason the GBE Megadate that's going on right now is not being "seen" by GBEnthusiast (for me at least). They did a weird thing where they started off air (the chat page was live but the video wasn't) so I wonder if it has anything to do with that. Hopefully it is a one-time glitch?

DumbFounded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By DumbFounded

@fireworksordie: Not working for me either. First day using the app so I thought i'd got an old version or something.

fireworksordie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I go to the current-live video API url, it displays the following:

{"success":1,"video":null}

So I'm sure your app is working fine and they just launched the live video weirdly to the point that the API isn't seeing it. Very odd.

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fireworksordie: Yep, I noticed that as well and actually tried to message a couple staff members in chat to see if anyone could fix the API issue (or inform an engineer about it) but didn't get any response.

The current-live API is a bit spotty - sometimes it'll return a result loooooong after the stream has ended and sometimes it won't report anything at all (as in this case). Bit of a bummer, but not much I can do about it except make a bit of noise at the engineers, which I've done.

By the way, thanks for checking the current-live endpoint result directly and posting it here - had I not been aware while it was happening (which is usually the case) then I'd be completely in the dark about where the problem was. I really appreciate it!

fireworksordie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By fireworksordie

@alecgdouglas: looks like it's not working for UPF either, getting the same API message (though you are probably aware). Hopefully they are able to get that fixed soon!

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By poisonmonkey

@alecgdouglas: Hey, just to let you know the live player is not working for Honey, Who Shanked Murder Island? [LIVE!]

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonmonkey: Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like the current-live API is still returning null (same issue as on Friday). Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it at the moment, just waiting for a response from one of the GB devs on a thread in the API forum.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alecgdouglas: No problem, thanks so much for the great App, I use it most days :-)

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#139  Edited By Mister_V

@alecgdouglas Ah, was just about to come and let you know it's not working but I see your already aware.

EDIT: I'm also getting the following error when trying to view todays Beast in the east.

No Caption Provided

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mister_v: Looks like the API isn't returning an HD URL for that video, hopefully that'll get updated soon from GB's end but in the meantime try watching it on "High" or "Low" quality.

(The app should totally handle that more gracefully, I'll put that on my to-do list!)

fireworksordie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the livestreaming appears to be working as intended for today's GBE Playdate!

narthollis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By narthollis

Many thanks for this app - it's exactly what I have been looking for, for use with my shield.

Nice clean intuitive UI that matches with the rest of the android tv apps, and minimal effort to get setup.

If I may suggest adding a short URL option for the authorisation step? I'm not very good at the whole spelling thing and typing the authorisation address into my phone was quite painful, having to double check how to spell "enthusiast" after every could of keystrokes.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@alecgdouglas Still loving this app on my Fire TVs. Just wanted you to know all of your hard work is really appreciated and is paying off.

Karspankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Karspankey  Online

My Amazon TV is my preferred streaming setup and I just found out this app exists! I can use my setup to watch GB easier now! Thanks so much!

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#145  Edited By lebkin

This app is absolutely amazing. Would love to have it available on the Apple TV and Roku as well. It's much better features than what's available on those devices.

Ramsaya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Ramsaya92

So did something break when the Exquisite Corps video go up? Since then I get just get an error message when I launch Video Bomb or Video Buddy on my devices and can't play any videos. When I launch it on Amazon Fire TV it just crashes straight away. @alecgdouglas

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This app just saved me

I'm stranded in Florida for a few days with only a TV and an Amazon box for entertainment

Thanks for the rescue!

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@narthollis: Thanks for the kind words. I could probably shorten the authorization URL a bit in a future release - thanks for the feedback :)

@paliv: I appreciate you taking the time to let me know - thanks!

@karspankey: You're very welcome, thanks for giving it a try!

@lebkin: I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying it! I know the Roku app has been facing some issues lately, but if you haven't already checked it out the GBTV app for Apple TV looks promising: https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ios-app-introducing-gbtv-a-new-giant-bomb-video-ap-1808300/

@ramsaya92: Hm I'm not sure about either of those apps (Video Bomb and Video Buddy are both developed by different people) - are you saying that the GB Enthusiast app also crashes on Fire TV? I haven't seen this issue. I'm about halfway through watching the Exquisite Corps video on my Fire TV and haven't noticed any problems.

@mustainium: Haha that's great! Giant Bomb is pretty much the only reason I always take my Fire TV Stick with me when I travel now ;)

Ramsaya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alecgdouglas: It was so odd, none of them would work all weekend, just crash. Loaded it up today and it's working! It might've been related to my wifi as that's caused me problems before. Love all the categories now.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So thanks for tipping me off to the existence of this app. It generally works on my 49XD8005 Sony TV, and I watched the To Live and Die on Murder Island livestream on it.

Two issues so far though - it crashes and has to be restarted every time switch back to it after having turned my TV off. I think I had the same issue with the Crunchyroll app, possibly related to the newest firmware update. Also, I don't know if this is related, but it often seems unable to find the newest videos. Right now the archive of the Murder Island stream is available on the phone apps and the Kodi plugin, but not on Enthusiast. Had the same issue with Exquisite Corps 3 yesterday, which finally showed up today.