• 72 results
#1 Edited by stratofarius (60 posts) -

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but here we go anyway!

I had some free time and wanted to do something to honor my favorite Giant Bomb feature. So I donned my worst fake British accent, whipped up a script and did an 'analysis' of the Mario Party Party series. If you don't understand me (English is not my first language), then you can turn on subtitles!

Anyway, just wanted to share it with you guys. Mock it mercilessly or ignore it, do whatever you want with it!

#2 Posted by csl316 (14953 posts) -

This is kind of brilliant.

#3 Edited by robbparris (301 posts) -

As an actual English person, that isn't actually that bad an accent! Good job!

[EDIT]

The end was pretty damn great as well, kudos to you sir.

#4 Posted by dengou (19 posts) -

Well done, splendid analysis.

I will hold you to these predictions, sir!

#5 Posted by pr1mus (4158 posts) -
No Caption Provided

#6 Posted by csl316 (14953 posts) -

Yeah, watched it twice. That was super awesome.

#7 Posted by Getz (3764 posts) -

A minute in and I'm loving it. As the others have said, this is genius.

#8 Edited by Evilsbane (5618 posts) -

Couldn't stop watching it, seriously those zooms were glorious especially the one with Brad screaming.

#9 Posted by mezmero (3729 posts) -

This is great duder. Not since Edward Forty-Hands has performance art from the Giant Bomb staff been as extraordinary as Mario Party Party. This shouldn't be in the Off Topic forum. It should be in General Discussion because it doesn't get as On-Topic as talking about actual Giant Bomb features. I still maintain that Dan Ryckert has awful ideas for video features that defy all logic by actually being entertaining. He is in fact the Vince Russo of Giant Bomb video booking.

#10 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (4403 posts) -

Marvelous!

#11 Edited by Szlifier (1496 posts) -

I'm pretty sure you're actually Austin Walker doing a British accent.

#12 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1811 posts) -

@stratofarius: I liked it, good job duder.

I think once all ten games have been played, Werner Herzog should do a doc like this, really dive into the psychology of the game.

#13 Edited by stratofarius (60 posts) -

@mezmero: I changed forums, like you suggested.

Also, wow guys, thanks for the reception!

#14 Edited by kasaioni (2397 posts) -

You actually sound a lot like Slavoj Zizek while trying to do that accent.

#15 Posted by SSully (5627 posts) -

Yeah, this is pretty great. Good work, duder.

#16 Posted by Bollard (8151 posts) -

Video was great, accent was terrible, 10/10

#17 Posted by stratofarius (60 posts) -
@kasaioni said:

"Mario Party Party is the ultimate pervert art."

#18 Posted by kasaioni (2397 posts) -

@kasaioni said:

"Mario Party Party is the ultimate pervert art."

Jeff sees himself in himself as a being in being, but yet he cannot describe himself without doing so metaphysically; which betrays his being.

Any ways, great video. I'd totally like to see you do something similar for some of the other video series.

#19 Posted by Monkeyman04 (2792 posts) -

Bravo! That was great!

#20 Posted by supercubedude (571 posts) -

Very funny, great work.

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
#21 Posted by Bicycle_Repairman (677 posts) -

nicely done!

#22 Edited by GERALTITUDE (5989 posts) -

wow duder... amazing.

:D

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
#23 Posted by TournamentOfHate (880 posts) -

Well done.

#24 Edited by GnosisLord (157 posts) -

That was really good. No trouble understanding you, your English seems fine.

#25 Posted by Quantris (1280 posts) -

Nice job.

But I think we'll be seeing Dirty Dan falling further than what you're predicting. Personally I don't think he's going to win another.
It's also worth noting that when Jeff is serious, he usually cleans up on the minigames.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
#26 Posted by citizencoffeecake (1537 posts) -

That was fantastic, I actually got a German scientist-like accent out of it at times and it really added to it, no trouble understanding. Really great.

#27 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4239 posts) -

Well done! I have one petpeeve with it though.

You start out showcasing the characters and the overall role they play. After that, you showcase some of the footage that shows that behavior in practice.But once we get to Dan Ryckert, you suddenly switch to a different structure where you showcase his behavior first instead of addressing which role he plays. Maybe it's just me, but i would have liked it better if it was the same structure throughout the entire video. Nice job though!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
#28 Posted by deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f (654 posts) -

...this makes so much sense it's scaring me. Amazing work!

#29 Posted by audioBusting (2558 posts) -

Hmm, yes, indubitably! I say!

#30 Posted by CastroCasper (1565 posts) -

Video of the year 2015

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
#31 Posted by alwaysbebombing (2692 posts) -

That was actually really enjoyable and on point

#32 Posted by stratofarius (60 posts) -

@quantris said:

Nice job.

But I think we'll be seeing Dirty Dan falling further than what you're predicting. Personally I don't think he's going to win another.

It's also worth noting that when Jeff is serious, he usually cleans up on the minigames.

The thing about Jeff is that he's so disconnected and uninterested in Mario Party that he has the power to win everything.

See, Mario Party, for me, is like this entity that amplifies your self depending on your intentions. I kinda surmised this from their faces in most of the games: Drew has a slight smile that could be seen as 'ok, I'm enjoying this' (he's in it to have fun with friends), Brad's head is always leaning to the side and he's just staring at the game (he's in it to just see where he goes), Dan is kinda leaning forward to display his interest (he really wants to win) and Jeff is just slouched, glaring at the screen (he hates Mario Party).

All three players are affected by the game's power, but Jeff's not. He just doesn't care enough to actually be sucked into Mario Party. His final intention isn't friendship, winning or just doing whatever he wants, it's getting to the end as fast as possible. If he ever decides to just get this over as soon as possible, the man could win a few games. They call him Mr. Mario Party after all. Would the game recognize his actions as good or bad? Would it punish or reward him? I don't think it was a coincidence Jeff always went back to 0 coins and 0 stars in MPP5. It's like the game was seeing his autopilot mode and just sending him back to the beginning, giving him a chance to actually put forth some effort, like it was nudging him forward to see what his actual interest in the game is.

Or not. I'm not an actual psychiatrist or anything like that. And Jeff is right, Mario Party is 90% bullshit.

Well done! I have one petpeeve with it though.

You start out showcasing the characters and the overall role they play. After that, you showcase some of the footage that shows that behavior in practice.But once we get to Dan Ryckert, you suddenly switch to a different structure where you showcase his behavior first instead of addressing which role he plays. Maybe it's just me, but i would have liked it better if it was the same structure throughout the entire video. Nice job though!

This is a classic case of 'watching something you made later and realizing the mistakes'. I just whipped up the script in a lazy afternoon and kept trying to think of visual jokes to add into the video (like how I'm saying Dan was super controlled and calm, and in the video he's gloating to hell and back). But nice catch.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
#33 Posted by AdequatelyPrepared (2522 posts) -

This was great. Now make a David Attenborough-esque documentary for Ryckert's eating and dating habits.
"The Ryckert, in need of a new mate, decides to woo a potential partner by bringing her to his home ground, an independent wrestling arena".
"Hungry, with little to no readily available food, the Ryckert decides to make do by combining the leftover pizza pocket's from yesterday's feast and hot sauce packets scavenged from the local Taco Bell. Today, the Ryckert will eat."
"Though the Ryckert taunts every other animal it meets with little to no regard for its own safety, it has amazingly yet to develop a natural predator. Some speculate that this behaviour has been developed from years of evolution in the Ryckert line."

#34 Posted by Sam_lfcfan (300 posts) -

Awesome video duder!

#35 Posted by Twinsun (819 posts) -

I really enjoyed that, I love when people in this community make stuff like that.

#36 Posted by Y2Ken (2934 posts) -

This is wonderful, and I love your accent! Also after @szlifier suggested it I can't help but hear a tiny sliver of Austin in there haha.

#37 Posted by BladedEdge (1314 posts) -

That was in fact incredibly well done. I'd love to see you do, well just about anything else actually. You've got good video editing skills, you can put on a decent enough accent and most importantly of all I think, you seem able to produce a script and stay on point.

Like seriously dude, be proud of that, it was not only funny and well done, but all the elements that went into making it were top notch and came together to produce something kinda amazing. Top shelf material, absolutely deserves to be seen by everyone. Here's hoping some of the staff/crew give you a shout out for it.

#38 Posted by RazielCuts (3290 posts) -

At first I was bit like...hmm, I dunno about this video but you won me over. I like your predictions too. I think Brad is the 'Wildcard,' you never know what mood he's going to be in when he plays, if he's going to be for it or against it or just wanting to mess with Dan.

I think your British accent sounds like Justin McElroy's posh British Accent.

#39 Posted by captain_max707 (671 posts) -

I loved it!

#40 Posted by CottoneUD (378 posts) -

This is the best video, and the british accent is horrible but perfect. Thanks duder!

#41 Posted by Mathey (1018 posts) -

Holy crap, this is terrific!

#42 Posted by samuelrgreen (86 posts) -

This is a really great video! Would like to see how accurate your predictions are.

Also to finally see Jeff win one of these would be pretty epic - Dusty Rhodes style.

#43 Posted by glots (4264 posts) -

Not bad at all!

#44 Posted by Quarters (2658 posts) -

Ha, this is scary accurate.

#45 Posted by YOUNGLINK (640 posts) -

Great work!

#46 Edited by Sessh (3388 posts) -

I'd love for your predictions to come true. There being a tie-breaker situation going on in Mario Party 10 and then Jeff winning pretty much just to spite the others would be amazing.

Cool video.

#47 Posted by stratofarius (60 posts) -

Wow, guys, the positive feedback has been amazing!

I've been thinking on how to follow this video up, and I'm trying to come up with a few 'documentary' ideas (Werner Herzog keeps coming to the surface several times). We'll see.

#48 Posted by randombattle (134 posts) -

There is one problem.

Mario Party Party will never end because Mario Party will never end.

#49 Posted by Levius (1358 posts) -

As a English-ass Englishman I was actually super surprised that it turned out you were not English. Kudos to your accent. I think the video was pretty great, it was made enough sense that I actually went with the thesis.