An idea for a game

thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thefreed

For me personally... I don't get why games turn out so cliche or... sometimes they seem to mimic other games storylines that makes me wonder if it is that hard to come up with a fresh idea for a game... I mean gaming is supposed to be a creative outlet and I believe it's sort of like art in that way.

Anyway this idea is for a rpg.

The story starts off normally with the hero and his posse setting out to destroy teh "evil" guys who are out to do no good.  The hero and his posse are devout missionary folk and really most of this world inhabitants are that way.

Anyway around the middle of this story, they meet one of the "evil" guy and the hero learns a new perspective... He hears from this guy that this religion is false, and that everyone is brainwashed and that they can create a new world where they can set out to make a better world.

The hero doesn't know what to believe since the guy is very persuasive and he doesn't seem as evil as he thought he way.

Anyway one of the guys that the hero travels with... he knows that this religion in its core is false... but he goes along with it because he believes it's the only way to control people and not let them break havoc.  Anyway this guy becomes the bad guy and the hero continues to travel meeting with different personas and different perspectives in this issue.  So from this point on it's the player who chooses the allies and chooses the different views and what to fight for.

And it'll be the player who gets to make the final choices on how this "new world" should be constructed.

I know it's not as ORIGINAL as I make it sound like, but I have TONS OF MORE IDEAS! and I can definitely get more in depth... man if I only was given the chance to make a storyline for a game >_>.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Well, you're mainly describing story stuff. What would the game play like? Oblivion? Dragon Age?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By turboman
@thefreed said:
" The story starts off normally with the hero and his posse setting out to destroy teh "evil" guys who are out to do no good."
Interesting.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By c1337us
@thefreed said:
"The story starts off normally with the hero and his posse setting out to destroy teh "evil" guys who are out to do no good."
Go on...

@thefreed said:
"The hero and his posse are devout missionary folk and really most of this world inhabitants are that way.   Anyway around the middle of this story, they meet one of the "evil" guy and the hero learns a new perspective... He hears from this guy that this religion is false, and that everyone is brainwashed and that they can create a new world where they can set out to make a better world.  The hero doesn't know what to believe since the guy is very persuasive and he doesn't seem as evil as he thought he way.  Anyway one of the guys that the hero travels with... he knows that this religion in its core is false... but he goes along with it because he believes it's the only way to control people and not let them break havoc.  Anyway this guy becomes the bad guy and the hero continues to travel meeting with different personas and different perspectives in this issue.  So from this point on it's the player who chooses the allies and chooses the different views and what to fight for.  And it'll be the player who gets to make the final choices on how this "new world" should be constructed.  I know it's not as ORIGINAL as I make it sound like, but I have TONS OF MORE IDEAS! and I can definitely get more in depth... man if I only was given the chance to make a storyline for a game >_>. "
Oh. Never mind.
thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thefreed

hmmm on paper it doesn't sound awesome... but if it was made! I KNOW IT WOULD BE AWESOME! I KNAW IT! (typo intended)

Anyway it would play like a normal jrpg but I also have another IDEA!

This one if pretty similar to this, but I always wondered how a game would turn out like... if we were seeing a game through a traditional "baddies" point of view... and him going through the events and meeting the "good" guys trying to end his plans and such...

But what would be unique about this is that it will really explain why the guy became that way and why his fighting for that cause... and it'll kind of make the player sympathize with him... until he meets his end by the hands of the "good" guys. 

I am not sure... I think it's finally time that games evolve from light hearted, shallow story lines into something that's pretty deep and meaningful... and maybe something that needs a little while to soak in and appreciate it's true value. 

Especially jrpgs... they have gotten pretty stale and cliche over the times... and they ask why it isn't working anymore, but even people who don't like new fresh stuffs that much can get bored from having the same thing over and over.

They don't want to take chances... but your going to have to take it someday if it keeps going like this... and it would be better to do it now when you have some safety net then when your industries finally out of the picture.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Pepsiman

It's not normally the ideas at their core that make or break a story-focused game's potential, but rather their execution. A lot of people have common interests in literary themes that appeal and relate to things that they can understand in their daily lives. It's why you see a lot of basic points transcend any number of stories: they need some sort of common ground with the viewer, player, reader, whoever and time-worn tropes are one way of doing it. Things normally only start getting iffy if the execution of those premises is stale or cliche, since it then shows that the creators are unable to spin their narrative in a way that still appeals to their audience despite some of the familiar territory it covers.

Take Mass Effect, for example. I can't say that I've personally completed it myself, but from my perspective, the series has a lot of the fundamentals of your average space opera. Intriguing alien races, exotic locations, galactic politics, and, of course, a human hero, to give the audience a perspective from which they can watch the events unfold and, by proxy, relate to them. By these tenants alone, it'd be easy to conclude that Mass Effect games graft a lot of their plots' individual facets from most every piece of science fiction before it, from Star Wars to Star Trek to arguably even something like Ghost in the Shell. The reason why it still stands out is that dialog and the personalities interjected into its flow make for a dynamic experience for the players. You don't get to just watch Commander Shepard kick ass and wax rhetoric from afar; you're an active participant in it, an omnipresent force able to influence situations (albeit in a scripted way) on your own terms, in the manner that you'd use personally if you were actually there. It also doesn't hurt that Bioware knows their stuff when it comes to RPGs and has the gameplay to back it up, too, of course.

It's those sorts of unique traits in execution despite at least some underlying familiarity in the themes that allows the best story-driven games to become so big and influential. Metal Gear Solid games are hardly the first works of fiction to cover the threats of nuclear weaponry, but they still stand out thanks to Kojima's training in filmography and a knack for making plots that take huge, global problems apply them to the characters on a personal level. There have certainly been a lot of games to take place before Personas 3 and 4 that involved growing up in high school and the implications of everything from teen suicide to how people project themselves, but they're still appealing because they're portrayed in a way where you can influence ordinary lives and, particularly in 4's case, possibly come away learning something about yourself or other people. Innumerable games have mooched off of Japanese mythology, yet Okami was still well-loved because it had good visual artistry and technology to back it all up and make everything nothing short of beautiful. Gameplay-wise, these are all pretty vastly different from each other, but they all share that common potential problem of being bogged down by poor execution of their well-trodden ideas, yet still ultimately come through in the end and make experiences that are compelling in their own right, even in comparison to the source materials from which they may have borrowed.

My point is that I don't see a whole lot of actual potential execution that your game has at this point to transcend the self-admittedly worn territory the plot seems to exhibit by itself. Off the top of my head, here are some games I can already think of that cover a lot of similar ground:

• Tales of Symphonia, Abyss, etc. Lots of religious and political dissections regarding whether the established moralities really are good for humanity. Characterizations aplenty of people on all sides of a given conflict with plausibly explained motivations for why they do what they do, both good and bad.
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. Depending on which plot route you take, the game's ending can be very heavily about working with or against the major religious order in place and the implications of those decisions. As with other Megami Tensei games in general, though, the overarching design and gameplay mechanics are generally skewed to have a skeptical tone. There is a reason why God's minions such as the angels are usually portrayed as major jerks in these games.
  • Fallout 3. Naturally, a lot of decision making to be had in this game, with the game acknowledging that regardless of whether something is good or evil, there are inherent pluses and minuses to be had in the charades. It's not as though some people chose to set off the nuke simply because they were jackasses.
  • Shadow of the Colossus. While you can't influence the plot, it is definitely one about the ambiguities of what good and evil really are and the influences it can have on the human soul's integrity one way or another.
  • Grand Theft Auto IV. As a character who's often put into situations that can't really end all that well one way or another, Niko Bellic sometimes has a lot on his plate. Who you choose to associate and, by extension, who you choose to kill, has consequences both tangible and intangible, with a lot of the major ones forcing automatic game saves to occur immediately after they happen. Just like real life, sometimes you have to have your cake in that game and eat it, too, even if that cake turned out horribly.
  • Alpha Protocol. Actual quality issues aside, it seems to be a lot like the other Western games in this list in that it takes your decisions and forces you to live with the consequences without giving you a chance to restart. Apparently this can result in pretty drastic changes in the plot affecting everything from the ending to who you even meet along the way.

Nothing on this list might be an exact match to what you've described, but I'd say that they're similar enough that things on your end would have to be fleshed out significantly more to make your game stand out in the midst of a lot of these other ones. Sometimes that can't happen with just the story by itself. People in this thread are asking what the gameplay is like for a reason, as that can contribute to the game's story and thematic executions in more personal, immediate, and visceral ways. There are very few story-heavy games that can get away with using the story as a complete clutch. Indeed, there's still actual gameplay in them because the designers intended for their plots to be interactive experiences. Otherwise, if the creators were interested in just purely telling a story, they could have gone off and told it in any number of other more static, established mediums. Gameplay can, does, and should accent the narrative if that's what's important. The dialog system in Mass Effect and Social Links in Personas 3 and 4 are two ways how previous games have accomplished this and it's up to you to create your own solution if you're hell-bent on making a game that lives and dies with its story. That part doesn't even necessarily have to be original; just, again, well-executed. The line for what works and what doesn't, though, is on a case-by-case basis.

In the end, there's no real reason why I had to make the post this long or critical other than for my own personal sake of wanting intellectual engagement and the chance to play some Devil's Advocate. But still, hopefully this might give you some ideas on how to move forward (if you're genuinely serious about all this) and why people will still have legitimate questions anyway. All good creators strive to be the best and original in their own way, but that's not possible without outside feedback, either, so don't be surprised if people keep calling you out on what you've presented if you're not ready to back up your ideas with more of them, ideally fleshed-out.
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Pepsiman's post should be framed at the wall of every gamer who is considering a career in video games or wants a videogame-centric education.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By shirogane
@LunarAura said:
"Pepsiman's post should be framed at the wall of every gamer who is considering a career in video games or wants a videogame-centric education. "

Sadly, the average gamer's attention span isn't long enough to finish reading the first sentence of it. 

And for some reason, that story reminds me strongly of the one in FFX.
thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thefreed
@Pepsiman: I agree with what your saying... because your right. And yeah those ideas aren't as original as I made them sound to be.

Though I didn't really explain them fully as I didn't think this would be read all that much... which it hasn't >_>.

I once wondered if I would truly be able to get success as a video game maker because... I questioned if my ideas and storylines in it's core was just too complex or out of the norm that the casual fans wouldn't want to play it... which they probably wouldn't, seeing the video game market today. Just as you brought it up... the common themes... the played out storylines... I guess they are the only way to go... maybe. I guess I am the kind of guy that likes to see new things so badly... and just got depressed with the same old stuff coming out from almost everywhere.

I guess if the moneys not there... there's no reason to try something different... or take the risk for that reason.

I guess it takes too much money for something like games... and maybe it hasn't evolved to that point... maybe it never will?

I didn't say the ideas for my game would be big and influential... I just think that those few that DO play it... might be able to get something out of it.

Anyway... the gameplay aspect of it... well I never really gave it much thought.

I have thought about other games gameplay, but for the ones that I described... I just thought about making them just plain old rpgs.

To tell you the truth... I only focused on the cutscenes of these games... and what kind of feelings they would arouse.

Well sometimes I have this burning need to post my ideas somewhere... sometimes I don't go through with it... but I think it's better that I did write it somewhere...
The next time that I feel this need again, I'll come back to this thread.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By armaan8014
@Shirogane said:
" @LunarAura said:
"Pepsiman's post should be framed at the wall of every gamer who is considering a career in video games or wants a videogame-centric education. "
Sadly, the average gamer's attention span isn't long enough to finish reading the first sentence of it.  And for some reason, that story reminds me strongly of the one in FFX. "
can you summarize in a line what he said?
thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thefreed
@Pepsiman: Anyway since it seems like you like to debate (I am assuming from the devil's advocate thing)... I'll say a couple of things that goes against what you said.

1. I didn't say anything about my ideas for games being big and influential.
2.  I did already say this at the end of my post. "I know it's not as ORIGINAL as I make it sound like"
3. On your 2nd half... you say things like  "Sometimes that can't happen with just the story by itself."... well it is that "sometimes" and also a lot of the things that make games big and influential is the small stuffs that come from the whole team working well together and smoothing stuff out. More often then not... it has to do with the budget put into a game to make it as realized as possible. Which not many games get that chance.

Things like Grand Theft Auto 4... there was few if any innovations there... it was just something that was more advanced and made into just a good polished current gen game. It was a success because there was the name behind it and people know that they're getting quality stuff from the brand.

there's really quiet a few things that your post made me realize more fully.

There are games like Grand theft auto that don't rely much on story but the gameplay to become the selling point... and it really is fun to play.

I am not sure if my ideas are more suited to be animus... which they prolly are cause if they were games... then they would have too much cutscenes...

Anyway I'll take all your advices and I'll be back with another idea!!!!
HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By HS21
@thefreed said:
" hmmm on paper it doesn't sound awesome... but if it was made! I KNOW IT WOULD BE AWESOME! I KNAW IT! (typo intended)  Anyway it would play like a normal jrpg but I also have another IDEA!  This one if pretty similar to this, but I always wondered how a game would turn out like... if we were seeing a game through a traditional "baddies" point of view... and him going through the events and meeting the "good" guys trying to end his plans and such...  But what would be unique about this is that it will really explain why the guy became that way and why his fighting for that cause... and it'll kind of make the player sympathize with him... until he meets his end by the hands of the "good" guys."  
 So like...Red Dead Redemption? 
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By habster3

It's an OK idea, but it could be a great game if executed right.