spncrbghmn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By spncrbghmn

Hey all,

This was something I wrote up yesterday and posted on the subreddit r/giantbomb. After a couple hours, it gained a small amount of steam and I was told to post it here, on the forums, so here it is. I do apologize as I get a little gushy about the site, but that was kinda the point of the letter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in late 2013 ~ early 2014, I was a real poseur of a teenager in my junior year of high school. I took most of my classes for granted, with the exception of english because I had really kick ass teacher. I worked as a porter at a local dealership, despite the fact that I knew and cared very little for cars, outside of their appearance (9 dollars an hour is very appealing to a high school student). My mom and grandma had survived a multitude of medical setbacks, too numerous for me to count, leaving my extended family, my dad and I sitting in many waiting rooms for many summers.

This was piled on top of the typical social anxiety I'd like to tell myself everyone experiences around that time in their life, except it was slightly exacerbated by the fact that the only long-lasting relationship I've had in my life ended in a raging dumpster fire, and that I still held desperately on to the dream that many students in my class laughed at when I was asked the age old question "What do you want to do with your life," and I responded with "I want to make video games for a living."

Enter: Giant Bomb

The game industry has always interested me. Ever since I got my first copy of Game Informer back in 2008 (I still remember, the cover story was for Resistance 2) and I fell in love. I had to be updated on everything from the newest press releases from my favorite development teams to whatever game scored well across review outlets. For a long time GI reigned king (in terms of quality), with IGN coming in second, Game Trailers coming in third and Gamespot/Kotaku bringing up the rear.

Until I came across Giant Bomb, I hadn't heard a more unadulterated/honest take on the happenings in the industry, period.

My first bombcast hit me at a time I really needed it. I was going through an existential crisis I was way too young to be having at the time, depressed that my friends would soon be leaving for college, afraid that I'd lose most/all contact with them, scared that I would be doomed to a life of romantic despair and that I would be a failure, in general, due to the '19' I got on the ACT's. But when I actually listened to the duders talk for a full 3 hours and when I discovered this community that Ryan and Jeff built on what seemed like pure rebellion and determination, I knew I had to be apart of it in anyway I could.

Now, I'm not saying that this site has changed me completely as a human being. Hell, it hasn't even been a year since I graduated high school but it gives me so much joy to be part of a community that really validates my dream, that making video games is something worth doing. I've recently started putting my programming classes to work, getting familiar with Game Maker Studio. I've started taking my college courses more seriously and I'd like to believe I've started down the path of self-improvement although there's no way to tell for sure.

So thanks, Giant Bomb! You really mean a lot to me and I can't wait to see where the future takes us.

TL;DR:Giant Bomb made a depressed teenager with self-esteem problems slightly less depressed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading! Please be gentle as this is my first thread.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nice

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Giant Bomb has been my one constant in the past five years or so, too. They've pulled me through some really rough times and, even as friends and jobs and relationships come and go, Giant Bomb is always there to fall back on. it's the one place where I really feel like my love of video games is reciprocated in a meaningful way and I honestly can't imagine my life without it right now.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Cool.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Hey man good for you. I'm glad that Giantbomb has been here for me when I've felt down.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Giant Bomb has been my one constant in the past five years or so, too. They've pulled me through some really rough times and, even as friends and jobs and relationships come and go, Giant Bomb is always there to fall back on. it's the one place where I really feel like my love of video games is reciprocated in a meaningful way and I honestly can't imagine my life without it right now.

The duders at Gamespot were why I was there in the first place - and Giantbomb has always been a constant from then on for me as well.

Most users here probably feel the same way, and it's nice to take a second and remember that.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That is not what I expected. I'm glad that Giant Bomb has helped you in difficult times. I need a place to go for video games after Official U.S. Playstation magazine folded then EGM/1UP got shut downed. I was not into Gamespot before the Kaine and Lynch stuff went down. I only started listing to the Bombcast after the guys at Rebel FM were talking about them back 2008. There have been times that Giant Bomb has helped me get through rough times. It bums me out when staff members leave for one reason or another. I am happy that Giant Bomb is around.

Ketta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had similar experiences. My mother died at the tail end of the summer of 2012 just as I started at university studying engineering. I tried to get past it by burying myself in video games and my coursework, but I found that the video game side was too distracting when I had classes to take care of. So instead I started just started to osmosis giant bomb content in the background while I did my coursework, and since then have gotten to a point where I listen to every podcast and watch most every video. Its sort of a weird thing, but I just really like these guys and their insight.

All that said, I wish there were more episodes of Danswers. There is something super-therapeutic about those shows... I tend to replay some of those in a way that I wouldn't necessarily do with other podcasts.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i remember exactly when i started going to giant bomb. it was like, 3 or 4 years back....maybe even longer i forget. i was at uni, and felt alone, and depressed. my roomate was an ok guy, and everyone there was alright, but i just didnt..fit in. and i knew it, and they knew it. thats when the quick look for warhammer came out. i laughed so much, and it made me feel like home because here were these guys who were more like me than any physical person i encountered there. i can honestly say it pulled me through some dark days as well. thats something the guys should be super proud of.

JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By JayPB08

I've had a somewhat similar experience, and I think I'm the same age as you. My brother was a Giant Bomb fan before, but I never gave them a fair chance until I said to him that I never listened to a podcast before. He introduced me the bombcast, and I figured I'd give it a listen during my study hall for a bit. I remember it was the last podcast before E3 2013, and it didn't grab me until they started talking about Animal Crossing: New Leaf - it was hilarious and I was hooked. I haven't missed a single Bombcast since.

Invo1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Invo1221

Posts like this make me feel happy to be a part of Giantbomb and it's community. Thanks OP.

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Happy to hear it :D As someone who started high school in 2012 I was very much in the same spot and Giant Bomb came at the perfect time :) It's always awesome to see how much of an impact this strange little website about video games can have on people's lives :) I know it's had a huge one on mine as well.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I often wonder if the crew knows just how much they've done for their community members.

spncrbghmn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By spncrbghmn

Thanks so much for the incredibly kind response guys! It only proves the point I was trying to make by writing this letter. This is a fantastic corner of the internet and is so welcoming to people of all different types of backgrounds with so many different stories to tell.

@nickhead said:

Most users here probably feel the same way, and it's nice to take a second and remember that.

I agree 110% and the forums are a great place to share these types of "origin stories" every now and then.

@invo1221 said:

Posts like this make me feel happy to be a part of Giantbomb and it's community. Thanks OP.

I'm glad to share! :D

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@thatthreedee: Awesome post, man. Glad to hear you're making positive strides in life that are meaningful for you. GB definitely was a big positive for me through some trying times too and at this point it's huge thing I share with both of my teenage kids and my wife.

Since you seem to have an interest in programming games I thought you might be interested in some design and mechanics focused podcasts. The Idle Thumbs network has a few that are interesting and in particular I'd recommend Soren Johnson's Designer Notes (he was the lead designer on Civ 4 I believe) and Three Moves Ahead (3MA). Designer Notes can be a little dry at times but I think it gives some really interesting insight in the origins of some classic games along with some critical retrospective analysis of what the designers were going for in their games verses what they achieved. 3MA is more of a strategy games focused podcast but they have some great analysis that I think is of incredible benefit to anyone who cares about design. Rob Zachny often hosts that one and he recently did a piece here on Giant Bomb.

Anyways keep at it. I came to programming later in life as a job skill and I love it (I tend to work mainly in system automation and databases rather than games).

spncrbghmn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maluvin: Thank you so much, man! I really appreciate the podcast recommendations! I've been trying to extrapolate what I do know from the bit of programming classes I took into a more focused project and it's been met with various levels of success. I take any help and advice I can find :).

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 alex  Staff

I would "like" this if that were a thing you could do on this website. Consider this comment the loose equivalent.

spncrbghmn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alex: Dude! I'd say thank you, but I feel like I've said that too much already. You just made my damn month! :D

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@maluvin: Thank you so much, man! I really appreciate the podcast recommendations! I've been trying to extrapolate what I do know from the bit of programming classes I took into a more focused project and it's been met with various levels of success. I take any help and advice I can find :).

Only real non-technical thing I can offer as a programmer is that if you find yourself alternating between feeling like you can figure out everything on some days and feeling like you can't figure anything on others you're probably doing okay. Just have to ride out those rough days and break down the rough stuff into smaller solvable problems. You probably already are getting this from your classes but comment even the "trivial" parts of your code because it's a nice reminder of what you were thinking in the moment.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 59

#20 riostarwind  Moderator

Sometimes it's good to just go out and say something like Giant Bomb is rad. Without this awesome site I doubt I would have gotten though some of the bad times I've went through these last 7 years. They even helped me get out of my comfort zone and take a trip to Pax East a few years ago. Without the dumb panel they put on every year I doubt I would have gone.

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Very nice. It nice to hear these positive stories around here from time to time.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#22 rorie  Staff
spncrbghmn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Thank you! I've had the dumbest smile on my face all day because of the feedback from you guys. It's been really really cool, to say the least :)