SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

* speaking soley about consoles, not handhelds
I think everyone is going to say that with the exception of Ninty's, meaning between MS's and Sony's, the press conference quality is subjunctive.  While Ninty fans will admit to MS"s or Sony's being better, PS fans won';t say MS's necessarily or vice-versa.

Anyway, here's what I noticed:
Nintendo':
 -sucked, tons of "we sold well" not "here's the games"
- Metroid by Team Ninja
-Mario galaxy 2
- inevitably overpriced MArio Bros Game
- only mario gameplay demonstration
- appeals to:  not really anyone.  It is the best press conference had in about 3 years now, but that's not good still.  Basically, everything was crap except for the last 15 minutes
- what was absent:  good games to be honest. 
- too much of: "we sold X wiis.  yay!"
- why someone may not like it: lol
- games are typically: shitty....I mean "non-gamer oriented"

biggest misconception: Nintendo cares about hardcore gamers.

Sony's:
- good amount of gameplay demos of highly hyped sequels that we've already have seen in action (god of war, uncharted, mag, etc.)
- "safe" sequels
- kart racer announcement
- Agent announcement
- Final Fantasy 14 MMO
- similar trailers of games we already have seen: Last Guardian, GT5, etc.
- appeals to: those who want to see gameplay of AAA sequels
- what was absent: new game announcements.  There really wasn't much announced here....at all.
- too much: ps2, psp.  PSP really was the focus of their E3 presentations and the only platform which they announced new titles for with the exception of the mentioned ones
- why someone may not like it: not many new games
- games are typically: safe sequels to AAA games (bigger, better, more badass)
- biggest misconception: Their motion control looked sloppy.  No, it didn't.  It actually looked quite good.  Sure, engineers themselves presented it, but in comparison to the wii's, the motion control is much, much more precise and has the proper controls to work in a game.

MS's:
- game after game, no sales talk
- gameplay of lots of games which we have not seen in  (conviction, alan wake, odst, etc.)
- lots of new game announcements (crackdown 2, forza 3, halo 3, mgs5, left 4 dead 2)
- some new arcade games (shadow complex, joy ride)
- appeals to: people who want to see gameplay reveals and new game announcements of high caliber titles
- what was absent:  annoncements by Rare.  What the hell? >.>
- Natal looks like it'll work, but will it host more than casual shitfests? Milo apparently works, but again, what type of game will it make?
- too much: new feature showing of things no one cares about (twitter, facebook, etc.)
- why someone may not like it:  there's really no "safe exclusive sequel" here like sony has.  (while conviction looks really good, double agent sucks, alan wake new ip, etc.) so we're not sure these are truly AAA quality games.
- games are typically: more abititious.  While many are sequels, none are really the expected, safe sequel
- biggest misconception: Halo 3: ODST- the live demo didn't make it seem so, but it's actually a very full fleshed out game.  If you look at it without pre-decision, you'd see a full game.  The subtitle does not imply expansion, rather during the same time of.

Most stupid decision in a game so far:  Ice climbing in Call of Duty.  What?  That's just boring....

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

suspicious omission of natal.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By crunchUK

what i liked expecially about Microsoft was how a ton of the stuff they announced is due out merely later this year

what i liked about sonys was how they took a massive dump on nintendo :P

what i liked about nintendo was...... the reginator jokes?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Essentially:
Nintendo:  shit, but better than last year.  Not really of the press conference, but for sake of mentioning something good, besides being better than last year, it seems like some devs are pushing the graphics on the wii a bit (red steel 2, mario galazy 2, silent hill)

Sony: showing of gameplay, but of sequels----> huge pleaser though.  But not really many new announcements.

MS:  Tons of new announcements, gameplay of new ips/ not typical sequels.  More abititious titles in general imo (crazy bourne stealth, open world hub shooter, thriller game, etc.)

While how it's put out there makes MS's look better, and it probably was as far as revealing new stuff goes, Sony showed gameplay of HUGE sequels, which resonates greatly with fans of the series.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

@kitsune_conundrum said:
"suspicious omission of natal."

forgot about it.  I was more so thinking games.  I editing in sony's motion controls actually.
* if anyone cares to add something or disagrees, just comment.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Agnates said:

This analysis, while being a joke post
(with a hefty dose of truth to it), is actually less biased and narrow-sighted than yours. Grow up Loser.
"
wow, someone's lacking maturity and isn't willing to acknowledge that the wii's conferences for the past couple years have absolutely sucked.
None of those devs you mentioned were even at the conference.  Silent Hill featured at the conference?  What are you talking about?  I own a wii you understand....

You realize I'm talking about the conferences, right? >.>

Seriously though, not saying you wouldn't, but would you disagree with me on any of this?  Ninty didn't show off much and talked tons of PR.  Sony showed more gameplay of sequels their AAA games.  MS revealed tons of new games and new gameplay of new, or revamped series.
Generally for all, but was that not how it was?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By get2sammyb
@SmugDarkLoser: What were these "new" games you talk about? MGS: R, Shadow Complex, Crackdown 2 and Left 4 Dead 2?

-- Ok then; Final Fantasy XIV, Metroid: Other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Modnation Racers, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Gran Turismo PSP, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Fat Princess: Fistful Of Cake, Resident Evil PSP, The Agent, The Last Guardian.

I hadn't seen MAG in action before. The only God Of War "action" was a leaked 2 minute tech demo from GDC.

You're such a hypocrite Smug, please go away with your clearly "biased" analysis because you can spin anything in anyway. All three companies did well.

And please go away with your moral high-ground "Microsoft didn't have 'safe sequels' shit". Because that's absolute bullshit sir. For every Alan Wake, Sony has a Heavy Rain (which is heavily more ambitious, sir). For every ODST Sony has a MAG. I mean c'mon man...

I'm sure I sound like the opposite to Smug here, i.e. the typical Sony fanboy - it's honestly unintentional. I'm simply playing devil's advocate.

Is it so hard for you to accept that they all did well, in a way that doesn't undercut the other?
cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cc23574

This year E3 was great, While the big N still sucked, it was way better than last year. Sony blew me away and MS had a great conference. However, I do think that Somy spend to much time talking about sales and such, wich MS didn't.

Well BAM! There it is!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By get2sammyb
@cc23574: Nintendo were 100% better than last time. Still lagging behind the 360 & PS3 in terms of putting on a show. But, they had good announcements I felt.

A definite improvement at the very least. I thought that Metroid game looked incredible.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422
@get2sammyb said:
" @SmugDarkLoser: What were these "new" games you talk about? MGS: R, Shadow Complex, Crackdown 2 and Left 4 Dead 2?-- Ok then; Final Fantasy XIV, Metroid: Other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Modnation Racers, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Gran Turismo PSP, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Fat Princess: Fistful Of Cake, Resident Evil PSP, The Agent, The Last Guardian.I hadn't seen MAG in action before. The only God Of War "action" was a leaked 2 minute tech demo from GDC.You're such a hypocrite Smug, please go away with your clearly "biased" analysis because you can spin anything in anyway. All three companies did well.And please go away with your moral high-ground "Microsoft didn't have 'safe sequels' shit". Because that's absolute bullshit sir. For every Alan Wake, Sony has a Heavy Rain (which is heavily more ambitious, sir). For every ODST Sony has a MAG. I mean c'mon man...I'm sure I sound like the opposite to Smug here, i.e. the typical Sony fanboy - it's honestly unintentional. I'm simply playing devil's advocate.Is it so hard for you to accept that they all did well, in a way that doesn't undercut the other? "
I'm not going to agree or disagree with one of the other, but I'll meet somewhere in the middle of what you're both saying cuz that's what I generally think. Nintendo had a good press conference, far better than their last few by a huge mile. I was expected absolutely no game reveals, and at least was happy to see SMG2 and a new Metroid game, but it was still by far the weakest. Sony and Microsoft each did really great in their conferences however, I would say Microsoft was the top for the sole reason of showing some new fresh reveals on the 360 since Sony really didn't show many,(besides The Agent..basically just giving us a name, and yes, I'm not counting PSP games because even though I like the PSP and will get some probably, I care more about the 360/PS3 by far so that doesn't do as much for me)

However, Sony showed plenty of gameplay that should of satisfied anyone who wanted to see more from certain titles, and they definitely did a great job there. Both Microsft and Sony showed off an ambitous motion option as well that by far surpasses nintendo. Microsofts though from the demo at least at the moment looks like when it comes out it will mostly include more casual games, and Sony's got my interest initially a bit more since it was being used with some cooler examples.(Though Microsofts seems to be a bit more ambitous than Sonys, but Sony showed a better gameplay demo in my opinion)

All in all, yes they all did well: However the word "did great" could only go to Sony and Microsoft, even though Nintendo surprised us with a few reveals, it definitely still was the weakest conference, like its been in the past..just far superior to those in the past as well.
Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Alex_V

I take offence - I don't mind opinions that I can disagree with, but I hate being made to feel inferior or marginalised simply because I don't agree with your so-called wisdom. Phrases like "games are typically: shitty" for titles that are barely teased with a trailer - that's just ignorant, dismissive and mean. Or 'new feature showing things no one cares about' and "appeals to: not really anyone"! If they appeal to me, does that make me a nobody? Does the world simply revolve around people who think like you do?

Factual innacuracies as well. Nothing new announced at Sony? Other than Agent, ModNation Racers and FF14! No "safe exclusive sequels" at MS? Apart from Forza 3, Crackdown 2, left 4 Dead 2 and Halo:Reach and ODST.

For what it's worth, I was excited by these three press conferences. Plenty to get excited about.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By KamasamaK
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"* if anyone cares to add something or disagrees, just comment. "
General: Why would you ignore handhelds? It is an important part of the business and contradicts some of your points if included. Also, Microsoft will obviously have the advantage of being able to devote all of their time to non-handheld stuff. I'll ignore them as well since you did, but only because that would make this take much longer.
Nintendo: What's your basis for saying the Mario title will be overpriced? I think there are people who this conference would appeal to. Considering their conference was only like an hour long, 15 minutes is a pretty significant chunk. Also, there were some games earlier that weren't crap like New SMB and FFCC: The Crystal Bearers.
Sony: This is the first time we've seen God of War 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 gameplay. ModNation Racers and MAG were new IPs with a gameplay demo. You listed three new PS3 games announced and then say new game announcements were absent.
Microsoft: You accidentally said Halo 3 and MGS 5 instead of what they really are. There were definitely safe sequels. The new announcement list might need to change depending on whether you're counting leaks, which it looks like you are with The Last Guardian.
cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cc23574
@get2sammyb said:
"@cc23574: Nintendo were 100% better than last time. Still lagging behind the 360 & PS3 in terms of putting on a show. But, they had good announcements I felt.A definite improvement at the very least. I thought that Metroid game looked incredible."

Yeah the new Metroid looked awesome, but I still dont understand what it is, is it a 2d game or a first person game?
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Kamasama said:

Microsoft: You accidentally said Halo 3 and MGS 5 instead of what they really are. There were definitely safe sequels. The new announcement list might need to change depending on whether you're counting leaks, which it looks like you are with The Last Guardian."
when i'm referencing games that aren't safe sequels I'm referencing things like Conviction, Alan Wake, ODST, and things of that nature.  By comparison GOW3 and Uncharted, the two headl-liner games of sony's, are safer.

As for Halo 4/MGS5, we don't know much abou them at all. Same applies to Crackdown.

As for handhelds, I didn't include them because truth is--- they're seperate machines.  Because you own a wii doesn't mean you own a DS.  It's like SONY had 2 seperate ones in theirs, same with nintendo.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Alex_V said:
 No "safe exclusive sequels" at MS? Apart from Forza 3, Crackdown 2, left 4 Dead 2 and Halo:Reach and ODST.For what it's worth, I was excited by these three press conferences. Plenty to get excited about."

Umm.... you just listed  2 games we just got a trailer of, one game that isn't a safe sequel, and forza & left 4 dead, which obviously are, the latter being a total ripoff.

I don't get it though, is this not how you guys would generally break it down?  nintendo had barely anything until a last few at the end, sony most showed more gameplay of games we've seen, ms unvieled a lot of new stuff.   If not, what did nintendo show besides it?  Sony revealed FF14 MMO, Agent, and ModNation Racers.  Is that alot?  A racing kart track creation game, a game we have no clue about, and FF11-2?

I don't get it.  Sony's lineup still looks great, I just feel like they were trying to proove to us those games in their lineup are truly great rather than give us their lineup.  Really though, it's pretty objective-- Sony didn't announce much in terms of ps3 games.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By AgentJ
@get2sammyb said:
" @cc23574: Nintendo were 100% better than last time. Still lagging behind the 360 & PS3 in terms of putting on a show. But, they had good announcements I felt.A definite improvement at the very least. I thought that Metroid game looked incredible. "
This. Also:

No Caption Provided

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheFreeMan
@AgentJ said:
"
@get2sammyb said:
" @cc23574: Nintendo were 100% better than last time. Still lagging behind the 360 & PS3 in terms of putting on a show. But, they had good announcements I felt.A definite improvement at the very least. I thought that Metroid game looked incredible. "
This. Also:

No Caption Provided

"
I agree with this post.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@AgentJ said:
"
@get2sammyb said:
This. Also:

No Caption Provided

"

Talking strictly consoles here, I said so.  Your post is therefore invalid. 
Two different beasts altogether.

Goldensun on the GBA fucking rocked though.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentJ
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@get2sammyb said:
This. Also:
"
Talking strictly consoles here, I said so.  Your post is therefore invalid.  Two different beasts altogether. Goldensun on the GBA fucking rocked though. "
Which is why you mentioned the PSP in the Sony section? Your only stipulation was press conferences, so again.

No Caption Provided

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By KamasamaK
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"when i'm referencing games that aren't safe sequels I'm referencing things like Conviction, Alan Wake, ODST, and things of that nature.  By comparison GOW3 and Uncharted, the two headl-liner games of sony's, are safer.As for Halo 4/MGS5, we don't know much abou them at all. Same applies to Crackdown.As for handhelds, I didn't include them because truth is--- they're seperate machines.  Because you own a wii doesn't mean you own a DS.  It's like SONY had 2 seperate ones in theirs, same with nintendo. "
Of course handhelds are separate machines, but I was under the impression you were analyzing the contents of the conference and they were significant parts. As I said before, it gives Microsoft an advantage and if included several of your points would be incorrect. I had an idea what you meant by "safe", but giving examples of it does not help define it better. I assume by "safe" you mean it is not a departure from what is normally done. Halo 3: ODST has you no longer playing as Master Chief, but the gameplay appeared to be the same from the limited amount I saw. I'll give you Conviction since I'm unfamiliar with the Splinter Cell series and I'll definitely give you Alan Wake. Regardless, having three examples does not contradict what I said. I agree that we don't know much about the newly announced Halo and MGS titles, but that doesn't mean you should call them by different names.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By natetodamax

I lol'd when Kudo's avatar was going insane while he was just barely moving.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cc23574
@AgentJ said:
"
@get2sammyb said:
This. Also:

No Caption Provided

"

While I do agree that I am fucking excited for Golden Sun DS, I was talking about the press conference itself.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AgentJ
@cc23574 said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@get2sammyb said:
This. Also:

No Caption Provided

"
While I do agree that I am fucking excited for Golden Sun DS, I was talking about the press conference itself. "
Sorry i didnt make myself clear. The picture was more directed at Smug. I totally agreed with your accessment
cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cc23574

O okay!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r

Only fanboys make "anal-yses" like these. E3 isn't just the conferences. If you want to make a comparison with actual conclusions like "lolz, Nintendo doesn't care for teh hardcoer"then look @ the whole show, don't focus on a little thing you personally found lacking and then when confronted go all "but I'm just talking about the conferences" when it's clear you make biased conclusions that go far beyond the conferences. Excusing these by saying you talk solely about the conferences is not enough, I'm sorry. Not to mention your constant contradictions. You try to put down 80% of the conference so you claim 1 or 3 things at the end were awesome, then in the next line you claim it was all shit. So which is it, was it all shit, or did it have a few good things on top? Overpriced Mario game? What the hell? All games have a pretty standard price, and on the Wii they tend to cost less than on other systems (understandable and expected). According to most sources (obviously not this one) Nintendo had the most expansive E3 showing with actual playable games on their and the third parties' booths, not to mention actually showing their Motion Plus in gameplay conditions consumers will be able to get as soon as this month (even though the real test is next month with Resort), as opposed to an arbitary next year schedule.

To go back to the "doesn't care for teh hardcoer like me" comment, how do you explain Nintendo contracting studios like Treasure to create Sin & Punishment 2 (hey, look, it was playable @ the show too), snatching exclusives like Monster Hunter 3 and Dragon Quest X under the nose of the other 1st parties, sending out bundles with MH3 in Japan to promote that side of the system further, mentioning third party games like FFCC: The Crystal Bearers in their conference (along with a few other misguided choices of 3rd party titles) and other such moves? Hell, Mario is "core" as far as Nintendo fans are concerned too. Sure, casuals play. So? They play Halo and GTA too, to a lesser extent. You can't be a Nintendo (or even any) gamer and dislike well produced Mario titles, it's like a paradox. Galaxy 2 is a pretty megaton announcement considering Galaxy is one of the most highly regarded titles of this WHOLE generation, regardless of system, and you just brush it off like it's nothing and say Nintendo just had shit to show, focusing on the one or two casual or "girl" titles, as if Milo for comparison was something XXXTREME that you'll buy to satisfy your gaming needs. How do you explain third parties like Square, Namco, EA, SEGA, CAPCOM, Konami and many others creating many such "core" titles if the Nintendo systems don't cater to or attract them? Joke post, it has to be.

Oh yeah, of course you'll just go "I don't care for those games" and be done with it, as if you not caring makes it valid for every hardcore gamer out there. You're as narrow-sighted as they come man, Haloz, fanboyism, excluding the major fuck ups of Microsoft's conference as if they didn't happen, putting your personal game preferences as the one factor that decides their lineup is better than Sony's just to proclaim how your beloved affair is the be all end all solution for any hardcore gamer, just going by the amount of games shown @ a conference and not even considering that many of those will be played by me and others like me who don't even own the same system you do. But hey, they made for a great conference, so let's just pretend a conference is all that matters, and make long term conclusions based on that alone. Who cares if the games are multi platform, they showed them first! You can't put claim on them now dood! Meh.

I fully expect your response to me to be as narrow-sighted as the first post, thus I won't even read it. Have fun repeating the same absurd claims all over again. Yeah, Microsoft wins. What do they win? They win you and every other fanboy. Great victory, service of narrow-sighted individuals who already support them no matter what. I didn't see any PS3 fan converted to MS thanks to that. Why? Because only you see it as grand as this post proclaims, when it really wasn't all that. All first parties had a good E3 and, sadly, nothing more. Hyping up "yours" and putting down others in this manner is absurd.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ You lost me at they should charge a standard price ($50) for a 2d sidescrolling mario game.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Ineedaname

Did I read your post right you actually put no safe sequels for Microsoft but then for Sony? Quoting your list "crackdown 2, forza 3, halo 3, mgs5, left 4 dead 2" They're not safe?
Also on a small side note, you reiterate the same point like 4 times in that for most of the 3 sections, and you contradict yourself throughout the post, that's the worst analysis I've read.

VariableGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VariableGear

Each press conference was disappointing overall.  There is only one game I'm looking forward to that was trumpeted during one of the three media briefings.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Ineedaname said:
"Did I read your post right you actually put no safe sequels for Microsoft but then for Sony? Quoting your list "crackdown 2, forza 3, halo 3, mgs5, left 4 dead 2" They're not safe?Also on a small side note, you reiterate the same point like 4 times in that for most of the 3 sections, and you contradict yourself throughout the post, that's the worst analysis I've read."
Again, I said lots of the sequels are not safe.  MGS5, Crackdown 2, and Reach we can't tell, ODST isn't, and again, Froza 3 and Left 4 Dead 2 are.  There's quite a few other games, like conviction, which arne't.
Damn, how is this not true?  Pretty much all of sony's ps3 games were just more gameplay of stuff we've already seen. I didn't mean to boil it down to that, the truth is they showed just about nothing new. 

I also watch CES and whatnot.  When I watch those, I don't want to see another demonstration of Surface.  No, I'm waiting to see something like when that photo to 3d model protoype was first revealed or a display of a crazy new feature of a gadget.  I frankly don't care about seeing more of the same toy.  It pleases those who are anticipating it and raises the hype for those gadgets, but in the end, it does nothing to help the general situation.

When it comes to Sony's: Is there actually a game you came out hyped for that you did not know going into it?  Doubt it.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By Ineedaname
@SmugDarkLoser: An MGS isn't safe? Crackdown sold well people who played it liked it a sequel will sell, safe. A halo game, tonnes of people still play Halo it'll sell, not to mention it's an FPS so it'll probably sell more than Halo wars, Forza 3, if they're up to number 3 in a series of games, and number 2 is accepted to be awesome by those who play it how will that not sell? Maybe L4D is because it's so soon but the rest are safe.

I should stop because anyone who thinks an MGS isn't safe is silly.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By get2sammyb
@SmugDarkLoser: To be fair, it does have like over 80 levels (the new Mario that is).

You make it sound like there weren't new games that could have been announced: David Jaffe held off. Dylan Jobe held off. Nintendo are clearly working on a Zelda and Pikmin. They held off.

Just because Sony and Nintendo focussed on the immediate future doesn't mean the content was equally less impressive. Equally, Microsoft's '09 lineup (which was sparse before) has barely got any better after E3.