And for something new: Sony Europe gets hacked. Passwords leaked.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/06/04/sony-europe-hacked-by-lebanese-hacker-again/

Hacked site: http://apps.pro.sony.eu/

By my count this is unlucky hack number 13 for Sony. A Lebanese hacker known as Idahc dumped another user database at Sony Europe containing approximately 120 usernames, passwords (plain text), mobile phone numbers, work emails and website addresses.

This is just ridiculous now. It took the hacker a whopping 11 minutes to hack it too. What else can you even say at this point? These aren't just users either, these are professional clients details.
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Booooo, hackers.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

This is quickly moving beyond ridiculous and into just plain stupid territory.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I was going to say it seemed like a much smaller hack, until you mentioned that these weren't just random users.  They really need to do some serious damage control on this.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By KowalskiManDown

A good enough hacker will get through any security if they put their mind to it. I realise that this is incredibly entertaining to these hackers, but it's becoming kinda old hat at this point.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By vdortizo
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By scarace360

Ok so we are having multiple multi billion dollar companies hacked every day. 

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By beargirl1

wow. this is getting a bit ridiculous now. 

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By keyhunter

Is there some sort of serious unemployment problem in Europe or something? Every hacker I know is always an unemployed and on social assistance of some sort, and also in their late 30's to mid 40's. So I'm going to assume Europe has an abundance of these people.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

I'm confirming it now, one full day of DEFCON 2011 on just Sony stuff.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Someone needs to crush these internet hacker gangs now!

No Caption Provided
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@keyhunter said:

Is there some sort of serious unemployment problem in Europe or something? Every hacker I know is always an unemployed and on social assistance of some sort, and also in their late 30's to mid 40's. So I'm going to assume Europe has an abundance of these people.

Oh it makes me so proud to be a part of this continent.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@KaosAngel said:

Would you stop posting this shit in every single hacking thread that comes up? We get it. You're psyched for going. Also, you can't wait to jailbreak your NGP, and have sex every night with a beautiful woman after hanging out with friends at dinner.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By MachoFantastico

This is getting really old, really fast.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
@vdortizo
It seems like they didn't/weren't able to do anything in that attack, though.  The story isn't extremely clear on that one.  Sony, meanwhile, has been hit quite a few times now and is having important information taken.

I don't think it's bullying, but it is interesting to see just how unprotected some of these things really are.
Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Devoid

So, what are these hackers even hacking for anymore? It seems they've reached the stage where they're just doing it because they can, with no real reason to actually do it.

Shit like, "Look ma, I hacked the Internets!"

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By valrog

It's surprising that companies like these don't have their networks set up more carefully.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@creamypies said:

A good enough hacker will get through any security if they put their mind to it. I realise that this is incredibly entertaining to these hackers, but it's becoming kinda old hat at this point.

These guys are just using scripts, there's no talent here what so ever, it's just coming down to Sony having incredibly poor security.

Also, I believe Microsoft have never been hacked in any form. I find it hard to believe no one has tried.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrKlorox

@PeasantAbuse said:

Booooo, hackers.

And people who frequent hacker news sites.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Hizang

Right before Sony's press conference, who else is not surprised by this?

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vdortizo
@WinterSnowblind said:

@creamypies said:

These guys are just using scripts, there's no talent here what so ever, it's just coming down to Sony having incredibly poor security.

Also, I believe Microsoft have never been hacked in any form. I find it hard to believe no one has tried.

Yeah I find that hard to believe too. On another note, I wonder how we would handle it here if GiantBomb got hacked??
neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By neozeke
@Hailinel said:

@KaosAngel said:

Would you stop posting this shit in every single hacking thread that comes up? We get it. You're psyched for going. Also, you can't wait to jailbreak your NGP, and have sex every night with a beautiful woman after hanging out with friends at dinner.

Kaosangel has friends and sex? Whaaaaaaaaaaa
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@Hizang said:

I fear for Sony's next 24 hours. The early hours of tomorrow and onwards are gonna be tough. I can see a lot more hackers trying some shit today.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KaosAngel

@WinterSnowblind said:

...it's just coming down to Sony having incredibly poor security.

That is true. The XBL security uses 256-bit encryption along side Steam for their online services, the hacker community showed this off ages ago and Gabe confirmed it when he showed off the new Intel Encryption for Sandy Bridge owners. Sony doesn't use the standard 256-bit encryption and they never had.

It's gonna be fascinating as shit to see how it all went down this August. The FBI is totally gonna recruit these guys or take hella notes on the whole thing. You can also bet Steam's engineers will be there and a good hunch the XBL engineers too...gotta make sure not to fuck up like Sony.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By metal_mills
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel

@creamypies said:

@Hizang said:

I fear for Sony's next 24 hours. The early hours of tomorrow and onwards are gonna be tough. I can see a lot more hackers trying some shit today.

If you check out the PartyVan IRC they've been talking about it for a while. Some big surprises coming up if they can pull it off, I don't know the details but from what the rumors are going around it's going to be "magical", and it's funny because Apple's WWDC press event is before Sony's.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By metal_mills
@WinterSnowblind said:

@creamypies said:

Completely wrong. They have been. The MS network was and the FBI had to step in. Xbox live has been hacked and over a million dollars of MS points stolen and lets not get into the gigantic list of security issues IE has.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KaosAngel

@Metal_Mills said:

Completely wrong. They have been. The MS network was and the FBI had to step in. Xbox live has been hacked and over a million dollars of MS points stolen and lets not get into the gigantic list of security issues IE has.

XBL =/= IE.

For the most part XBL is safe and in the past few years it's been safe due to their encryption. I'm not a Microsoft dick-sucker either, as WinterSnowblind can confirm, but I will give credit to MS for securing their shit up for XBL.

EDIT: I will admit that by linking XBL accounts to MSN is fucking stupid. That's how most XBL accounts get "hacked", people are fucking retarded with MSN passwords.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By crusader8463

Nintendo got hacked a few weeks ago as well, but they just announced it today. So I think the hackers are going after everyone.

Tanikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Tanikaze
@WinterSnowblind said:

@creamypies said:

http://www.cgisecurity.com/2007/06/hacker-defaces.html
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@KaosAngel: I'd like to say that "I'm sure Sony are prepared for it", but judging by how it's gone thus far... it's hard to have much faith in them.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vdortizo

Man, It makes me sick that people find these things "funny". They're inconveniencing millions of people, I don't care if they're 40 year olds with a family, kids and a steady job; if you do this for the laughs, you're nothing but an immature as***le... They can rot in hell for all I care...

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Someone needs to punish these fuck heads.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Enigma777

@Hailinel said:

This is quickly moving beyond ridiculous and into just plain stupid territory.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel

@vdortizo: On the plus side everyone else is juicing up their security to not fuck up like Sony. You know, like using the standard 256-bit encryption like you're fucking supposed to. Brute forcing 256-bit is damn near impossible with current technology and by the time they can even get close to halfway there, the corporations can juice it higher to 512-bit encryption.

My fucking WiFi uses a 128-bit encryption, and Sony can't even fucking do that.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By metal_mills
@KaosAngel said:

@Metal_Mills said:

XBL =/= IE.

He said Microsoft, not just XBL.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Hailinel said:

@KaosAngel said:

Pro-tip: Ignore every post by KaosAngel. Remember that kid at school that used to come in saying he had an uncle that worked for Sony and had a PS5 with Grand Theft Auto 7? He also lost his virginity at age 12 to a chick who looked kinda like Sarah Michelle Gellar? And his other uncle worked for Game Informer so he was getting him into E3?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AhmadMetallic

And our hacking-newsman award of the month goes to... (drum bang) 
 METAL_MILLS! 

Awesome coverage, bro!

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shinigami420
Oxymoron28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Oxymoron28
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KaosAngel

@Oxymoron28 said:

I'm not sure if I'm miss reading your post or missing the tone of the post, but otherwise, Microsoft have been hacked;

By MS he meant XBL in general. XBL is one of the most secure networks out there along side Steam.

Of course MS has been hacked, it's been often and for good reasons. However, in the recent years Microsoft has been going hella more "hacker friendly", they even gave GeoHotz a free WP7 so he could jailbreak it for the community.

The biggest security loop-hole for XBL is linking the XBL to your MSN, and MSN accounts are easy to hack due to people's stupidity. That's not a flaw on MS, that's a flaw on the end user.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By vdortizo
@GunslingerPanda said:

@Hailinel said:

@KaosAngel said:

Pro-tip: Ignore every post by KaosAngel. Remember that kid at school that used to come in saying he had an uncle that worked for Sony and had a PS5 with Grand Theft Auto 7? He also lost his virginity at age 12 to a chick who looked kinda like Sarah Michelle Gellar? And his other uncle worked for Game Informer so he was getting him into E3?

You have just won a piece of my heart, no better explanation could have been made as to who this KaosAngel guy is. I mean just look at his replies its like he's talking to himself in a corner...
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Slaker117
@GunslingerPanda said:

Pro-tip: Ignore every post by KaosAngel.
This should be added to the site FAQ.

On topic, this is pretty fucking ridiculous, but as an outsider, that has made it fun to watch. I have no hate for Sony, but no sympathy either. Wonder how long this will go for until they finally nut up and take care of their business. Yes you are the victim, but you are not powerless. Do something useful.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#45  Edited By beargirl1
@billnyethesciencepie said:
The endgame I think is obvious at this point:  THEYRE GOING TO HACK THE STAPLES CENTER OH GOD
i didn't shell out 775 million dollars for nothing god dammit 
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

We used to look at nerds and go "You'll probably be working for them one day."

Now we look at them and go "You're personal information will be stolen by them one day."

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mike76x
@shinigami420 said:

Sony pictures russia just got hacked by lulzsec http://pastebin.com/Ubw6kCVW

In Soviet Russia, Sony Pictures Russia hacks you!

Sorry.
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By tourgen

kinda makes me want to delete as many online accounts as possible and just use throwaway emails and logins.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Master_Funk

@vdortizo: Glad Im not the only one tired of his BS. I dont understand why people continue to post in his trolling threads

NaCl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NaCl

For those who think 256bit encryption is some magic bullet, it's not. 

Computer security is like building a chamber to hold in poison gas, all it takes is one gap, one slip up in implementation ... and you are just lost. 

they even gave GeoHotz a free WP7 so he could jailbreak it for the community.

Lies. You are talking out of your ass.  
In this case why lock it down in the first place. LOL