Annoying video game sound effects

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By zombie2011

While playing some of the Injustice 2 beta I realized I really hated the way the game sounds. All the hits, while they sound powerful, just annoy me. This got me thinking about other sounds effects that are just off putting to me to a point where it ruins part of the game experience, and if anyone else has any others. Some of mine are

The gun/ammo pickup sounds in the Uncharted games. I understand they are going for an inserting the clip sound but to me it's just annoying clicks.

Whatever that shot indicator noise in 100ft robot golf is (I couldn't even make it through the QL).

The Druid spells in Hearthstone (Wrath, Living roots, Norish etc.) the hits in Injustice 2 remind me of this sound effect quite a bit. Hard to describe but it's like if someone bass boosted the sound of crumpling paper? Maybe?

Finally and this is a bit weird but the sound of running in Metal Gear 5. It has a off putting sloshing sound that I just don't understand.

flagranterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Beeping whenever your health is low in games. A flashing red bar is more than enough, thank you very much, I don't need incessant beeping to tell me it's time to go hunting for health.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@flagranterror: Yep, that's the one. That has to be the most a sound effect has hampered my enjoyment of a game.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if you'd specifically call it a "sound effect" but sometimes when games have a gibberish speech it can grate on my nerves. I was replaying Okami one day and realized that all the "dialogue" was incredibly annoying to me.

I've also never really been a fan of that balloon pop sound that happens when you lose a life in Donkey Kong Country. It sounds...flat or gross or something, I dunno.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By SamanthaK

The low health sound in pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow is so damn annoying.

i don't know if those sounds are still in the newer ones.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On my old Amstrad 464 every time I transcribed the code for a game I would get bored with the sound effects so I would randomly change the sound values until I was playing Pong with horrible screeching noises every time the paddle hit the ball. Simpler times.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any time any character in Overwarch says anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The "chirping" noise in Contra when you shoot with the Machine Gun.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fucking skeletons in Daggerfall. Good god those things are loud and something else.

I still remember those haunting screams from Vinny and Dave's Random PC game time.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone remember the sound of your scores totting up at the end of each level in Streets of Rage on the Genesis? Holy moly. I re-played it with headphones recently and my god, my poor ears. Got genuine tinnitus for a few minutes, as the volume was cranked for the tasty jams.

Lara's noises in the original Tomb Raider. Also every other sound in it.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Those shrieking enemies in Axiom Verge. And the low health beeping noise. I turned the sound on the game off because of them.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258 said:

Beeping whenever your health is low in games. A flashing red bar is more than enough, thank you very much, I don't need incessant beeping to tell me it's time to go hunting for health.

I recently played through A Link to the Past again and what a horrible blemish on an otherwise near-perfect game. I will mirror right the fuck out of a dungeon to end that shit.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ezekiel

I'm tired of random thugs in games sounding foolish and thuggish. The voices are always forced. They don't sound like real people.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The money shoes in Yakuza 0 make me want to die, but I keep wearing them.

cling cling cling cling cling cling ohgodmakeitstop cling cling cling cling cling cling butfreemoneyargh cling cling cling cling cling cling

I'm sure there are more but that's the only thing filling my mind right now and I can't un-hear it.

flagranterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer: lol man when you say Axiom Verge, this is all I can think of. My wife had it up to here with that shit.

OOOOOOAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOHHH

RWBladewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd forgotten about this one until the recent video series with Brad playing it, but the sounds of the survivors in the safe room in Dead Rising. Those constantly looping fake crying sound effects. I was getting majorly irritated just listening to it in the video.

The Raikiri sword in Nioh. Apparently having lightning properties means it has to be making a high pitched crackling sound at all times. My ears actually felt physically relieved after I found a better weapon to replace it.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15: Oh man if you think those are horrible wait until you get the noisy shoes for Kiryu....

I challenge anyone to play with those on the whole game.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Wilhelm scream in anything. It's mostly a movie thing still but a bunch of games have used it. It always winds up drawing me out of whatever I'm doing just because it's impossible to use it without being all "wink wink, nudge nudge, you get this reference, don't you?"

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the running sound in MGSV is totally realistic, it's the sound of the heavy military grade pants Snake is wearing. It actually makes that sound when you run in those.

I do agree with the looting sound in Uncharted though, gets annoying after a while.

tbh, i can't really think of anything in other games that actually annoys me, maybe the annoying foreign phrases used by those possessed zombie people in Resident Evil 4, that shit gets old fast.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: My friend mentioned that Kiryu had some...I both want to find out and never want to find out what they are.

Krabbtummen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time Lucio in Overwatch hoots "OH LET'S BREAK IT DOWNNNNNNN" it makes me want to mute the game completely.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BrunoTheThird

The noise Gunjack makes when you KO him in Tekken 3. OOOORAAAAAARRGHHHOOO

frump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By frump

Ehrgeiz menus.

I'm really happy someone made a great video illustrating the point.

Loading Video...

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any game that has constant beeping noises when you're low on health. Metroid and Zelda are two that come to mind but I know theres a ton.

Also this isnt really a noise but it's in the same vein, rasberry jam face. Usually this is an FPS thing, but some games like RE7 have adopted it and it drives me insane. (especially since that game has a damn health indicater, and has an option to turn it down but not off)

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

Anything that comes out of the controller during inFamous Second Son. It's a good idea but man every sound effect is like having boiling oil poured into your ear.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Every time I had to walk past the stupid ass crowdogs in Bloodborne I had to mentally prepare myself for the needlessly loud and annoying barknoise.

Low health beeping is by far the worst thing, pretty much wins the thread on it's own.

Honestly anything that sounds like bad audio mixing drives me nuts. Like footsteps that are too loud or bad music/sfx/voice ratios.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Paliv

All of the extra sound effects in Mario Maker.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not so much sound effects...

But when I was a kid, one Saturday afternoon, I think this game's sound made my Mum almost have some sort of breakdown.
For context...I was bad at the game too, and was on level 1 for maybe a couple of hours :)

Loading Video...

Avatar image for skithemadrussian
skithemadrussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has to be the fairy from Ocarina of Time, right? Navi, I think...

HEY!!! LISTEN!!! LISTEN!!!

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ezekiel

It has to be the fairy from Ocarina of Time, right? Navi, I think...

HEY!!! LISTEN!!! LISTEN!!!

I kind of wish they'd bring back the fairy as a companion. This time with a fully rendered body.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

For those that play LoL, try laning against someone spamming her laugh