Another "Which my my 10 favourite games is YOUR favourite?" thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll Another "Which my my 10 favourite games is YOUR favourite?" thread (94 votes)

Silent Hill 2 6%
Jak 2 2%
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat 3%
Shadow of the Colossus 21%
The Movies 0%
Resident Evil 4 20%
System Shock 2 3%
Psychonauts 9%
Fallout: New Vegas 20%
Beyond Good & Evil 3%
[See Results] 12%

Because I really liked @pr1mus 's thread idea, I figured i'd make one of these myself. I have a fairly eclectic taste in games, and i'd be interested in seeing which of my favourites appeals to the most people (and the least). Be sure to lemme know how many of these you've actually played when you answer!

• 
mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I've only played Shadow of the Collosus and BG&E. Shadow was the clear winner as I found BG&E to be kind of middling.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Fallout: New Vegas

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By me3639

Better list than previous posting.I voted for FNV, currently replaying now with about a dozen mods, so good and actually better. Had a hard time not voting for Stalker, as its one of my all time fav franchises but cant trump Fallout...yet. And btw, where is The movies 2???? That game now can be amazing.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Drekly

I have amazing memories of Silent Hill 2. It scared the shit out of me when I played it as a kid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I voted New Vegas. I've played some of the other stuff (haven't finished SOTC) but, how can you like Jak 2?

I've played it with PS+ and I think it's terrible. Camera is atroicious, AI is cheap and the whole design is just kinda poor. I really enjoyed the first one, but II has put me off ever playing the rest of the series.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LackingSaint

@vaddixbell said:

I voted New Vegas. I've played some of the other stuff (haven't finished SOTC) but, how can you like Jak 2?

I've played it with PS+ and I think it's terrible. Camera is atroicious, AI is cheap and the whole design is just kinda poor. I really enjoyed the first one, but II has put me off ever playing the rest of the series.

Honestly, I originally just put it up to a huge amount of nostalgic value but I replayed it a few months ago and had literally none of the problems you described. It was a fun, fluid experience with excellent presentation, to me at least. I dunno, maybe everything about the design of that game is just etched into the dark recesses of my mind at this point? Never had an issue with the camera and I can count on one hand the number of times I died feeling like it wasn't at all my fault.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silent Hill 2, perfect horror game.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

SH2 or RE4

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By BaneFireLord

I confess the only game on that list I've played is New Vegas (this console gen was my first), but seeing as it is tied for my favorite game of all time I feel quite confident voting for it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Psychonauts? The only other real competitor is RE4, but since I haven't played that game in about eight or nine years (depending on when the hell it came out), I'm gonna have to default to Psychonauts.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Movies is one of your top ten? Could you elaborate on what you like about it? I know it's not a bad game I just haven't heard anyone mention it since it came out.

I've played Silent Hill 2, Jak II, Shadow of the Colossus, New Vegas, and Beyond Good and Evil and enjoyed them all (maybe not Jak II so much) but my favorite from this list would have to be Fallout.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Vegas

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resi4 for sure. I'd put Fallout 3 over FNV, though.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The only game on that list I've played is Silent Hill 2. I really need to get around to playing Shadow of the Colossus though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Those are some great games, but I don't know if I'd call any of them my "favorites". I liked Jak 1 and 3 more than I did 2, Resident Evil 4 is fun but that castle lasts for about two or three hours too long, and Fallout New Vegas just can't hold my attention for some reason.

I have either not played or not played enough of the rest of them.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I went with Psychonauts. BG&E and Jak 2 were also contenders (though I preferred Jak 3 over 2). I've only played a couple of bosses through SotC, and while I've enjoyed what I've played a lot, I'm obviously not going to vote for it. As for RE4, I never cared for it much.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only real answer is Shadow of the Colossus.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TobbRobb

I picked Resident Evil 4, but if you would have had the real best Jak game on there (it's the first one). Then that would totally have been a no-brainer.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LackingSaint

@tobbrobb said:

I picked Resident Evil 4, but if you would have had the real best Jak game on there (it's the first one). Then that would totally have been a no-brainer.

At some point i'll probably grow up and realise the first game is an all-around better product, but there's something so appealing to me about the world and the huge amount of content in the second game. For what it's worth, the first Jak & Daxter game is one of the only games I could pick up at any given time and do a 100% Speedrun (I have 3 saves of it on my PS3, all of which are 100%s).

@citizencoffeecake said:

The Movies is one of your top ten? Could you elaborate on what you like about it? I know it's not a bad game I just haven't heard anyone mention it since it came out.

Totally reasonable point, I felt that way myself when I first put it in there. I think a lot of people, myself included, have two distinct groupings for games; games we have a great thematic/artistic appreciation for (Limbo, Journey, Silent Hill 2, Braid, etc), and games that we just have a great pure joy in playing (Plants vs Zombies, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Guitar Hero). The Movies is sort of the epitome of that second category for me; on a surface level, there's really not that much that's "special" about it, or elevates it to being this masterpiece, but I can tell you I play a game of it once every few months and just have a fantastic time with it right up until I stop. There's something about that unique combination of long-term planning and moment-to-moment activity that really grabs me, in a similar way games like Civilisation and XCOM hit others. When i'm producing my newest feature, it's not just throwing a script in a hole and having a movie pop out; I need to get the best screenwriters to make a script based on the most popular genre at the time, train the best actors and directors, make sure I have the right sets, and plan for a certain amount of time to film between awards shows. It's not overly complicated but it really involves you in the process.

If I was gonna be less pretentious about it, i'd just say I liked Theme Park World a lot when I was a kid, and The Movies scratched that each way more than the Tycoon games did for me.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By roboculus92

This is an interesting list of games (in fact I've played quite a few of these, which I can't say for the other lists like this that I've seen). Bit of a tough choice for me but I'm gonna have to go with New Vegas. I'm a really big fan of Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pr1mus

Of all the games on this list i only played one to completion and 2 others briefly.

The one i played to completion however is pretty fucking great! Resident Evil 4 gets my vote.

Also an interesting side effect of all these thread today is that 3 of them @named me in the OP of the poll and i never got any notifications for that. I should probably report this.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22 chaser324  Moderator
@hailinel said:

Getting in on this action inspired by @pr1mus before the moderators start getting cranky about it.

Well...I guess the time is now because I'm feeling a bit cranky about how many of these threads are popping up. They don't generate much meaningful discussion, and it's time to cut them off now before they spiral totally out of control.

As an alternative, if someone would prefer to make one thread to discuss everyone's favorite games of all time, that might be fine. You could also maybe spend some time to generate a longer blog that explains what makes some games your favorites. These short little polls though are just getting flat out spammy.