Any parlay their favorite genre into a career?

Avatar image for senorsucks2suck
senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

Whether your Factorio sleepless nights turned into a job at an Amazono distribution center. Or, your SimCity play style is now very much a part of Portland's transit design? No matter how small, what game most mimics your current employment situation?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MezZa

It's not really a video game genre but I grew up being the DM for a group of friends with D&D. Which involved a lot of organizing people, leading sessions, prepping content for the group, prompting players, and driving everybody's engagement with the game, etc.

My current career involves something akin to project management within IT. I lead meetings, organize communications, ask questions, prompt discussion to make sure everyone is thinking everything through fully, prep the criteria for projects that developers work on, etc. etc. Basically grew up to be an IT Business themed DM, so I guess the old Forever DM cliche holds true.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By FacelessVixen

Come to think of it, my painting "career" technically started with Kid Pix in 95.

...I liked the Spider-Man Cartoon Maker more, though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

No, but I spent time in high school frankensteining together computer parts to make something I could play PC games on as well as trying to mod consoles, which led to a greater interest in computers, which led me to the IT position I'm in now. Also, I am convinced that learning how to navigate new UI's all the time in video games gives you a significant advantage when learning how to use a new program or memorizing changes in an existing one.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I ran a minecraft server and then ran a restaurant. The restaurant was easier.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I used to herd people in WoW raids back in TBC/WOTLK, then I went on to be a teacher.

Basically the same job, except you don't die to the Safety Dance on Heigan the Unclean