Any way to translate Japanese games on Desktop?

Tempa777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tempa777

On Android google has the Translation App which captures a picture and translates it.

It works ok and i wonder if there is a way to use it on the Desktop.

Otherwise i would have to take picutes of each dialogue box and translate it with my phone

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

There are programs that automatically hook into the game, captures the text and sends it off for translation. Google for "text hooker" and you will find a lot of options. I used one 15 years ago, so I can't say how well the current ones work.

Tempa777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@aznan said:

There are programs that automatically hook into the game, captures the text and sends it off for translation. Google for "text hooker" and you will find a lot of options. I used one 15 years ago, so I can't say how well the current ones work.

I was planning of Translating Sakura Wars 2 for the Sega Saturn and a Text Hooker to my knowledge does not work

However i just read that Bluestacks (Android Emulator) can Instant translate the Picture and put overlays on the Japanese text.

I will try to Run Retroarch on Bluestacks and wish me luck that it works

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure on the quality of the sega saturn cores but libretro (retroarch) can theoretically provide this capability

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/category/ocr/

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I believe its built into retroarch now.

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaren1: It was a long time since I used any of them, so I don't know which ones are any good currently. You'll just have to try them out. Sorry :P

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@aznan said:

Googling for "text hooker" may or may not get you precisely what you want, depending on what you want.

I ain't judgin'.

...also, I think it's absolutely insane that you can just download a program that translates text from one language to another on the fly, even if that translation is probably riddled with issues all the time.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This reminds me that some for the PSP were made in lieu of some of them not having fan made English patches. But the ones I seem to run into work best with visual novels, whilst I'm more in the market for ones that can work with action games.

Bummer.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never used it, but RetroArch can be configured with a translation service. The translation service just works off what's on your screen, or a region of it, so it's not a thing that's dependant on RetroArch.

https://ztranslate.net/

https://gitlab.com/spherebeaker/vgtranslate

Note this will cost money, as it's using another translation service under the hood.

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers