Any worthy candidates for Please Stop in 2017?

• 105 results
blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Donald Trump... oh you mean video games.. um the phrase, "Chicken Dinner". I feel like I blinked and this phrase spread like wildfire overnight on the internet. I don't understand where it came from. It is just PUBGs? I really wouldn't know. I've never played it.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

the phrase, "Chicken Dinner". I feel like I blinked and this phrase spread like wildfire overnight on the internet. I don't understand where it came from. It is just PUBGs? I really wouldn't know. I've never played it.

"Winner winner, chicken dinner." It's a phrase that has been around for probably over a decade now, but it wasn't popularized with the gaming community until it became the winning message for PUBG.

Back in my day, we got our chicken from WALLS, not by winning some fancy online game. And we were darn glad to have it!

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@spaceinsomniac: No I understand what it means but I always thought it was so lame that no one would actually say it. So when I hear people actually say that out loud it makes me grit my teeth.

gschmidl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I agree with lootboxes and rogue-everything, but also: Xbox. It's just pathetic now.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Steam. Just, in general.
  • "_____ is an open world crafting survival game now in Early Access"
  • _____ is an open world game at all, actually.
  • Caring whether people call it Roguelike or Roguelite or whatever.
  • Phil Spencer. He seems like the coolest fucking dude, but he has absolutely not righted that ship.
  • Pronouncing abbreviations of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds out loud. I don't know if "Pubgee" or "Plunkbat" is worse. Say Battlegrounds. Everyone knows what that is.
  • Adding f2p shit in non f2p games.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Loot boxes and cosmetics especially. If you want to offer people cosmetic choices sell them directly don't use them as an excuse to exploit your fans with random boxes which are not even a guarantee you'll ever have what you want.

LostOddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still on board with printing .9 versions of games to disc being the most annoying thing in games at the moment. When you get home, excited to play the game you bought and BAM! 5 gig download - FUCK THAT!

Just let me preload the patch!!

Loot boxes are annoying but i never pay for them so- whatever.

The rogue-ification of games is annoying but i just dont buy them so -whatever

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

MICHEAL TRANSACTIONS MUST BE STOPPED!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still on board with printing .9 versions of games to disc being the most annoying thing in games at the moment. When you get home, excited to play the game you bought and BAM! 5 gig download - FUCK THAT!

Just let me preload the patch!!

Loot boxes are annoying but i never pay for them so- whatever.

The rogue-ification of games is annoying but i just dont buy them so -whatever

Even worse is when a game has literally years worth of updates, the developers release a brand new massive expansion, include it all in a GOTY version, hike the price tag back to a full retail title again, change the box art, the disc art, and then go and include the same exact data of the .9 version on the disc itself.

"BAM! 5 gig download" becomes "BAM! 50 gig download"

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loot boxes: Hey, ESRB. Get off your asses and put your foot down on basically unregulated gambling before the Feds do it for you.

Open World Everything: This is probably what killed the Mass Effect franchise more than anything else. Blank and boring open worlds are just such a buzzkill and a slog to play in.

Bioware: I give it about a year after Arrivial bombs in sales before Daddy EA sends Bioware up to a nice farm upstate where they can play with other studios like Bullfrog, Orgin and Maxis.

Asshats On YouTube/Twitch: I'm still more than a little surprised that the CS: GO betting scandal wasn't a shoe in for Hottest Mess of 2016. There have of course been more examples of bad behavior and whining from the YouTube asshat community on ad money disappearing as a result. "My videos got demonetized after the sponsors realized I was basically a drama channel? Do I like actually have to get a real job now?"

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#114  Edited By Francium34

@lestephan: first time I heard the term"whale" was from Jim Sterling on the co-optional podcast a few years ago, from some mobile game dev panel he sat in on (he went on a long rant). So people have definitely been using it out in the open for a while now.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#115  Edited By Mezmero

PLEASE STOP

Loot boxes. (Injustice 2, Horizon, Shadow or War) I never spend money on this crap anyway so it's no skin off my back but it is annoying that it's literally part of game play mechanics that are intrinsically tied to the schemes wrought by that no good Michael Transactions.

Shakey Nintendo business practices and backwards online implementation. (SNES shortages, Salmon Run limitations, matchmaking across online games). I still don't feel a desire to own any current Nintendo platform save maybe a 3DS. Not sure if I ever will when I hear about some of this stuff.

Releasing physical copies of games under development. (Fortnite, TellTale full season discs) Even as someone who follows the biz fairly closely I can't help but do a double take when I see these games suddenly on shelves as if they're out for reals. I can't even imagine what a normal person buying these games thinks when they see them out like that.

Thinking you haven't drained a franchise dry. (Mass Effect, Agents of Mayhem) That's a hard one because there have been some great franchise games between Resident Evil, Uncharted, Persona, and Zelda.

Playing PUBG and get back to work. I don't know when the last time I DIDN'T hear game journos talk this game up on a podcast. I get it you cant stop playing, but please, STOP. And play something else.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@dstopia said:

I would say please stop loot crates but not because of the fact that I can't have any of the cool shit, I literally could not give a fuck as long as it's all cosmetic -- I'd say please stop because, before long, they're going to have to start answering questions about why they're not considered actual, literal gambling and exploiting gambling addicts.

It's the exploitation that bugs me. I know it's easy to shrug it off as "Oh, they're either wealthy fuckos from some Silicon Valley startup, an oil baron's kid or some Saudi Arabia prince with way too much time", but I'm fairly sure lots of people who aren't particularly rich spend way, way too much money on loot crates as a form of escapism. It's just wrong to keep peddling that stuff.

I actually hope some of the companies pushing loot boxes get nailed to the wall. Ideally I'd like to see them forced to refund every dime anyone has spent on loot boxes (I know that will never happen, but I'd take a fine equal to that amount). When companies start hiring psychologists to figure out how to better exploit people, something has gone terribly wrong.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'Hero shooters'.