Anybody deliberately and successfully switch from inverted to regular? Anybody ambi?

Avatar image for deactivated-611d8183a00c9
deactivated-611d8183a00c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

I was wondering if anybody converted from inverted to regular intentionally or vice versa. Mid career not during your rookie season. Anybody different for 3rd person to first person. Anybody agnostic?

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arjailer

I keep trying to switch from inverted to regular, but keep failing. I can do regular for just walking around and exploring, but as soon as the shooting starts the ingrained inverted instincts kick in I just get all confused and end up switching back to inverted ☹️

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By noboners

I've recently gotten used to regular because I got sick of swapping the options every time my partner and I pass the controller back and forth in games. So if it's become a way more game-specific option for me after 20+ years of inverted.

rsnz64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always used to play inverted and then didn’t play games for about a year then came back to it and for some reason I couldn’t play inverted at all... was so weird, but I am kinda glad.

Also thanks to Turok and the N64 I used to always use my right stick for move and left for look, but at some point switched with that too. Though I so think I am more precise the old way I just can’t get my head around moving smoothly again.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So I tend to use regular for anything that's in the head (or third person) but if it's a plane or flying thing, inverted. Am I an outlier?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

@stantongrouse: No. There's something about planes and similar vehicles that makes inverted OK, though honestly I can hop back and forth in these kinds of vehicles.

But I have no idea how you'd switch to inverted on foot in the first place, let alone switch back. Why would you need to switch back when seemingly every game has an inverted aim option?

ZeroCoin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was a lifelong inverted player until the start of this console generation. I had primarily been an xbox / 360 player in prior generations and chose to go PS4 this time around. The controller was a little awkward to use initially for me, so I decided to go ahead and unlearn the inverted control style at the same time I broke myself into the playstation controller. It worked well and I'm no longer inverted.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Back in the PS3 days I made the conscious decision to switch from Inverted to Regular after being all inverted since early 80s.
It wasn't easy but I was driven and around Uncharted 2 is when I finalized it. I was now a "Regular".
It still fucks with me when I do flying in games however - part of me feels it should be inverted and the other
part says regular is fine. I now hate all flying in games since there are two forces fighting inside me and none are happy.
Games like No Man's Sky where you do both flying and 1st/3rd person back and forth can be especially jarring.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm firmly committed to the inverted lifestyle on sticks. Regular all the way on a mouse. That's as close as I'll get to switching.

butterstick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone swapped left and right sticks? cant say ive ever seen anyone do that before.

snaketelegraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I do regular for 3rd person and have to do inverted for 1st person/flying or whatever. I always need the X axis inverted but for some reason Y can kinda go either way, which is really confusing because I don't know why sometimes it's right and sometimes it's wrong for me. I mostly play 3rd person games anyway so I don't think it's a problem (and then it inevitably pops up, like it just did playing Deadly Premonition 2. Luckily I had someone to pass the controller off to lol).

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arjailer

@justin258: There was no "switching to inverted" - in the early days the only first-person games were flight sims (on the Atari ST for me) which were naturally inverted. When mouse-look came along years of experience and muscle memory meant inverted was the way that felt right. And this carried over to joypads when they came along. Now I've got decades of inverted muscle memory and can't break it 😆

singing_pigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ambi on controllers, but like in a bad way. When I'm under fire there's just no predicting which direction my brain thinks the stick should move in that moment. Each method makes equal sense in my brain, and I've just never solidified it. I used to switch back and forth between inverted and regular when I was younger cause I kept waiting for one of them to click, but when neither did, I just decided to stick with the default so I didn't have to go into menus. So I've been regular for years, but still to this day my brain will randomly think in inverted and then I get deaded. :(

With a mouse though, it's regular and that's the only way that makes sense to me. Is inverted mouse a thing people do?

AKTANE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AKTANE

@stantongrouse: I am same.

FPS uninverted. Spaceflight, depends, but I think I changed to uninverted in Elite, I used to play X wing inverted though back in the day. Atmospheric flight, definitely inverted.

I AM ambi when it comes to third person games. though I prefer uninverted.

The real monster in the room is L/R (X Axis) Inverted on old third person games, that shit is unexcusable! I can't remember which game did this to me, it was some older game but I couldn't handle that shit.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@aktane: haha, it's funny you should say that about space flight, since my last comment I realised I too am regular for space stuff games but with a plane or something low atmosphere I invert.

Also, the evil that is inverted L/R on old third person games is a mental nightmare now there's been a slight universalising of those sorts of controls. SO hard to go back to that camera style.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I was inverted, but lately when I play anything 3D I find myself awkwardly switching between the two, saying, "Wait, no, this feels wrong..." to both control schemes. Then finally I land on one and get used to it. Not even sure which.

Ascara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollywoo same here, it's nice to know it isn't just me that does this, and them I forget by the next time I pick something up to play and do it again.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I was inverted when I played Halo. I switched deliberately at one point, but I can't remember why. I have a vague feeling that I thought "This doesn't make sense", and I just started playing the other way until it stuck.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm always default but whenever a game throws compulsory inverted viewing at me, it takes ages to train myself back to the right way. I think Shinobi on the PS2 does that and whatever I played next suddenly felt foreign to me.