Anyone else feel like Rockband 4 won't catch on again?

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OGJackWagon69

I mean we all here at Giant Bomb are pretty hype for it, but like talking to my friends and people at other forums they were all like, "Rockband in 2015? What are you serious who thought that was a good idea? that fad ended forever ago" Not saying the game needs to be as popular as it once was again to be successful, but I'm just wondering what you guys think about this.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Rock Band is a really fun game. I haven't played it in about 6 years. I'd like to play Rock Band again. I'm sure there are a lot of people like me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Remember Rock Band? It's back! In pog form!

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Kinda thinking that the train has passed games like Rockband. Think Harmonix really wants to think that people are interested in new music games since as a developer they cant seem to make any other games than ones in the music genre.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I think it'll do fine. Obviously, won't be nearly as big as it was but I feel like there's enough fans of the series still out there.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If i was a investor i would putt my money somewhere else. But i still wish them the best of luck and hope this game succeeds.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think it'll do just fine, but they REALLY need to rethink releasing that new Guitar Hero. I don't think the market will put up with competing brands again.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if they go about it they way they seem to be implying it'll do just fine. If it's one game and the peripherals and then just endless DLC it'll do OK. If they attempt to release one or two games a year again it'll fall over and die again.

A podcast I listen to was suggesting that they make the game free, like singstar. If you rebuy/buy the controllers you get a disc/code that unlocks a tonne of tracks for you. Then they should let you either buy tracks outright, or let you rent them by the hour or what have you.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I hope that they have ideas for how to update the experience. I'll love it without playing with pals, but they have to offer something fresh. I'm hopeful that the revamped band mode stuff comes to fruition.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I feel like it's gonna work like Dance Central is working right now. A base game and then only DLC. I doubt there's gonna be any sequels thig generation.

There's still enough fans of RockBand out there that just want an update to be able to play on new generation. Remember that their DLC is still making some money. They are making this game for their fans and I doubt it's gonna be as big as an investment for them than Rock Band 3 was.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I dunno. Not really excited myself but my non gaming friends were actually really pumped about it, sooo ??? No idea.

Frankly I was stunned the original Rock Band became such a mainstream hit.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

I'd like them to succeed but I have the same doubts. I know they're not shooting for the same type of mainstream mind share but at the end of the day a game like this needs a large player base to support all the money they spend on licencing music.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Dead in the water baby.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Obviously, I'd love for it to catch on, but I kind of don't care. I get to play it :D

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By AlexW00d

I've not been paying much attention, but how are they doing it? Are they just gonna sell the instruments as is and have you buy each individual song from the store? Cause that seems like the most 2015 way of doing things.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure Rock Band was super popular among people who weren't super into video games. Similar to(but not exactly) the popularity of Just Dance. I think the bigger issue is how many of those people own a PS4/XBONE.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

The people who are in high school and just starting college right now were children for Rock Band the last time around. Now that they are working at the mall or getting a student loan or whatever they'll have some cash to throw down, and some friends willing to play with them and have parties.

My friends and I played Rock Band seven years ago. I don't have room mates anymore. I don't hang out with people at school anymore. I don't have anyone to play Rock Band with anymore. That does not mean that there is not an audience for Rock Band. Just like Disney releasing the same movies every seven years for a new crop of kids, Rock Band has a new crop of kids to release to.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Rock Band first came out I was stunned how cool I thought it was at the time and I pretty much hate everything popular. I was around a lot of college and post college age people at the time in shitty apartments with lots of alcohol and it was the perfect multiplayer game at the perfect time. People who wouldn't even try playing Gears of War or another MP shooter could have a blast with Rock Band. No one had smartphones back then or a million other things to stream and distract them so just not sure it will hit again like it did. Hopefully they release it as a long term platform to build upon with DLC instead of releasing annual sequels, that won't work again.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

of course it won't.. does anyone thinks it will?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not up for new plastic stuff. When I got rid of the old stuff, I felt super done. Maybe when I actually see it I'll change my mind, but right now i'm not on board.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not "hype" for it.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I definitely feel that way. But hey maybe a new generation of Rock Band fans will emerge.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By InternetDotCom

It sounds like from the way Harmonix is talking that they know it won't catch on the same way it did and they are adjusting to that.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I finally sold all the instruments for PS3 (including the Keyboard) last month to an overly excited single mother and her car full of children. I had a roommate moving into my house and space was getting uncomfortably tight. I felt like I've accomplished everything I need to do in the Rock Band pantheon and really have no interest in another iterative title. We'll see, Harmonix (of old) talked me into three Dance Centrals in three years...so maybe.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I mean we all here at Giant Bomb are pretty hype for it,

God that's annoying.

As for your question, no, it almost certainly won't be the phenomenon that it was, and Harmonix knows that. It seems like they're being smart about not betting on such an outcome. Anyone who's saying "that fad ended years ago!" were likely only players solely as a result of the popularity and aren't the audience Harmonix is trying to sell to here. I personally think the game will do well enough to sustain itself because Rock Band is awesome, and a significant number of people know that and yearn for more.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's too soon. Hell I think music games of that type are over period honestly. On top of that both Rock Band AND Guitar Hero will be out this year. It already feels like too much. Some things die for a reason and should remain dead. Car combat games are a great example of this. They had their time, some tried to bring it back and it just doesn't work anymore. Same here.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish them luck. I know I'm interested.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think nostalgia alone is enough for the game to do well. I don't at all expect it to reach heights of the past, but I do think it has been long enough since the last one where people will hear about it, remember the fun times they have had with it, and buy it again. They certainly have my sale.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catch on as in be a mega-hit franchise? No way. Catch on as in do very well to a niche fanbase that never stopped loving Rockband and just wants more of it? Yep.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They've got a customer in me, that's for sure. Rock Band never died, as far as I'm concerned. It just took a hiatus.

Of course it's not going to explode like before, but I think it'll do okay.

... So... speaking of rhythm games coming back: Not to be greedy or anything, but DJ Hero never got a chance to reach its full potential... instead of trying to bring back Guitar Hero and getting stomped by Rock Band again, maybe a DJ Hero 3? Maaaaaybe? Anyone? No? :(

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@brodehouse said:

Remember Rock Band? It's back! In pog form!

I would rather have my soul back, thank you.

broqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the main thing that might be a problem is if there is no way to transfer your already purchased music (disc and DLC) to the new version. I seem to remember them mentioning on the bombcast that there might be some sort of license transfer from last gen to current gen for a nominal fee, but that would only work with PS3 to PS4 and Xbox 360 to Xbox One. And considering the amount of people that went PS4 from a 360 it might hurt sales with people not wanting to abandon all those songs they spent money on. But then again plenty of people have stopped playing that game so that might not really matter.

Having said all that, I am interested in a Rock Band 4. Ladyfriend and I still enjoy playing from time to time.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@shagge: I'm with you. DJ Hero was the second best thing to come out of the plastic instrument wars.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mean any ill will on the Harmonix dudes or anyone that cares about Rock Band.

That said, I hope it doesn't catch on. The plastic instrument fad was one of the most annoying things in gaming.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Efesell

I missed out on all of that so all I care about is a good game to finally be able to spend some time with that stuff.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ShaggE

@shagge: I'm with you. DJ Hero was the second best thing to come out of the plastic instrument wars.

Yup yup. I was as skeptical as anyone when it came out, but man... that controller is just absurdly satisfying to use.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The appeal of Plastic Instruments always baffled me but undeniably there was something people were drawn to about the Rock Band Simulacrum. Five years might be just enough time to hook a new generation, or exactly enough time to have bled away the appeal between generations. I feel like it will still be huge in College Dorms, though.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

a) I don't think they're expecting it to hit as hard as the first one did.

b) It seems like there are plenty of people who no longer have their last-gen consoles hooked up who are willing to buy Rock Band again just to have it on current-gen.

c) Your circle of friends is much older than they were when Rock Band 2 was huge. I'm sure there are tons of middle- and high-school and college kids who would love to play Rock Band as a party game.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

There's absolutely no way it explodes like it did before. That being said, I bet this sells a respectable amount of copies. I know I'm ready for more Rock Band at this point. I'll definitely be picking it up.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By flameboy84

It will definitely catch on again. I think there are enough gamers who fall into the category or being ready for a new Rock Band game. I think perhaps those more casual players may not get bite by the bug again but then there is a whole new generation of people too young last time round to get beaten by that bug so its very possible this will be just as big a hit.I for one cannot wait, having moved from England to Canada in 2012 my Rock Band set up was something that did not make the cull.

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who cares....? I know that isn't helpful but who cared about guitar hero because it was popular? I certainly didn't take a 2 hour train ride when GH3 came out because of a trend. The game was genuinely fun for me and when my 360 died and times got a lil rougher I sold my stuff with the hope that it would come back some day. And it has! Hallelujah. That said, I feel bad for the guy who has to clean the stickers and match wireless dongles for a new generation of traded in kits...

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling it is going to bomb really hard.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I think it'll do really well. Not as well as it did back in the day, obviously, but I think it will sell to a lot of fans old and new. I know it's the game I'm looking forward to most this year since Uncharted 4 got pushed back.