Anyone else having more and more trouble "Immersing" themselves into a game as they age?

• 56 results
Jaime_EX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi All,

First of all, I'm not that old, 20's - but I've found that the older I get the less games stick with me. I used to fall into them for hours and hours at a time.

Now I find that if I play for more than two hours I lose interest.

I'm not sure if it's a function of time. Full time job + responsibilities + whatever else means less time to play. When I do play, I feel like I should be doing something else. Or it could just be a function of the content itself, the price of development causing the actual game-time to stretch and become less dense as a result.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing. I'm still very interested in video games, but I spend much less time actually playing them and the experience doesn't hit quite like it used to. I'm very curious for this board's opinion on it.

l3roken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Have been experiencing the same exact thing. I also find myself just staring at steam completely unable to decide what to play when I do have the time to game. It isn't something that started with a full time job, just randomly started occurring recently out of the blue.

I still listen to GB every week and visit the site regularly but I have a hard time actually playing the games, its almost more fun hearing the discussion about them than experiencing them at this point.

Only games I still have any motivation to play at this point are the ones I have a committed friend to play which is The Division lately.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TravisRex

Yeah. I find myself playing more open ended stuff just to keep up with my lack of interest in general. The new fallout. Diablo 3 and counterstrike. I just couldn't give a shit about narrative anymore. I'm 29.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm creeping up on 40, and have been playing video games since the Atari 2600. Trust me when I tell you, the way you play games will change.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By deerokus

Totally. I don't even have a really up to date PC or current gen console, only a couple of games on those platfor,s really scream out to be played just and I can wait for those. I'm 32. This has happened to me before and I just stopped playing games for months and eventually came back fresh Recently though I will feel the urge to play something, sit down then get bored after 45 minutes and go read a book or listen to a podcast or something instead. Sometimes I think you just need to change up your hobbies for a bit.

I don't think it's an age thing but I'm not certain. I think I just have almost zero interest in the AAA games industry at this point because the sorts of games they make are all becoming too similar to each other. Every sequel has a bunch of features from other games thrown in to the point where nothing is distinct. The ubisoft 'shopping list' model of incredibly unsatisfying game design has infected half the industry it seems. I expected Fallout 4 to be the game to make me buy into this gen, but then I played my friend's copy and it's so watered-down from the epic New Vegas, with a tonne of busywork to fill it out.

This is even starting to pollute the indie games sector too, unfortunately. Steam has been devastated by a deluge of indie shovelware obviously, but even ignoring that the quality indies just seem to be making the same three or four genres of game. It's really weird.

I can still get lost for a week in a good strategy game, though. Oh Paradox, how I love you, and how I hope Stellaris meets my lofty expectations.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 74

#6  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'm 30, and I wouldn't say it's out of disinterest or anything like that, but I will say my regular gaming sessions have gotten shorter and shorter over the years. For the past couple of years I'd say I average around 20-30 minutes of playtime a day. I don't get bored or anything like that, but I just feel like I've played enough after that and go about doing something else.

The new Master of Orion game is the only recent exception I can think of, I ended up playing that one for almost 7 hours straight.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: sounds more like you just have more important shit to do. I dont. I mean, I do. But I choose to just find something else to occupy my time for 30+ minutes.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 14

#8 FinalDasa  Moderator

Depends on the game.

I do find my tastes have really changed. I value deeper, more complicated, gameplay than ever before. Games live Civ V, SimCity, Factorio, etc are all worming their way deeper into my catalog.

I also find that a lot of games don't do much of anything new. Like movies or TV we see more cliches in games and the gaming industry in similarly becoming sequel driven. Hard to get into Halo 5 if you haven't touched a Halo game since 2.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually find myself spending more time immersed in games as I get older. When I was younger I was way into multiplayer shooters but as I get older I just want to get told a good story. It feels more like I've done something valuable, since I can analyse the narrative and get immersed into a piece of fiction. I also find myself playing more games on easy due to this. Challenge is secondary to content, plus I can blow through them quicker and get to actual responsibilities.

I still appreciate a game that's just plays well though. I just bought Enter the Gungeon and that game is fun as fuck.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm in my twenties so this topic probably doesn't apply to me, but I've noticed how much I can immerse myself is inversely proportional to how much responsibility I have at a given time.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This year and last have been dominated by From Software games. Nothing else has really grabbed me and I'm legitimately going to be sad when they're all done.

I guess I'll go back to playing other games, but man I just don't care for them.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claybrez said:

I'm in my twenties so this topic probably doesn't apply to me, but I've noticed how much I can immerse myself is inversely proportional to how much responsibility I have at a given time.

This is about where I am as well. I had a relatively responsibility free couple of weeks recently where I played the Witcher 3 for at least 7 hours a day, other times I barely end up playing games at all. Still, when I have the time to get immersed in a game, I find myself just as able as ever to get completely absorbed in games and get lost in them for huge chunks of time. I'm 26 BTW.

Avatar image for captunnecessary
captunnecessary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 33, and the absolute max game time I can pull off in one setting is two hours. I also tend to pick up then drop games more frequently now than ever before. JRPGs used to be my favorite genre, but the prospect of spending 100+ hours on one now seems like an impossible dream. The majority of the time I find myself playing games I can pick up and play for short stretches and get a sense of completion, aka... I spend a lot of time in Rocket League.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I rarely play games for more than two hours at a time as well, and it's usually more like an hour and then I'm done.

However, I sometimes do get into a game enough to play it for several hours straight. I played Fallout 4 for an entire Saturday a few months ago. I took breaks, sure, but that still took up a large part of my day. I've played Dark Souls for hours at a time without stopping.

Do other things. Don't force yourself to play games. Sometimes I want to play games and I play one match of Counter Strike GO or I run from one bonfire to the next in Dark Souls and then I don't want to play games for the next few hours. And that's fine.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really a harder time being immersed but I do have a harder time getting started because I have much less time to play so the decision of what to play seems more meaningful.

Also, and I think this is related, I have much less patience for mediocre or overly hard games. They feel like a waste of time. I used to intentionally play mediocre games (like Dark Void or Dark Sector) as breaks between big critically acclaimed games and to see what they were like and had to offer (Dark Void is flawed but underrated IMO) but now? No thanks. I don't have time and I don't enjoy it.

And if a game's too hard I don't enjoy bashing my head against it until I get through. Younger me would have wanted to conquer Dark Souls and see what the hype was. Older me doesn't want the aggregation or frustration. I get enough of that in life. In games I want to feel powerful and have fun. Give me a little too easy over a little too challenging any day of the week. I keep thinking about the time I played the last level of Jamestown over and over until I beat it and how unsatisfying that was. I was like "for that much effort I could have accomplished something real."

I think this is common among older gamers. A lot of them will in their darker moments admit to playing games on easy mode just to get through them. I am not there yet, but only because most games these days balance normal mode so that you rarely die. I also still play co-op games on hard mode because I get let frustrated when I am gaming and also spending time shooting the breeze with a buddy. At least there even if you accomplish nothing you had some laughs and good conversation, not just frustration.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, personally, it's a function of time. I recently went back to school and am trying to juggle that with a full time job. Saturdays are the only days I get to really play games.

Now, that being said, I did play 7 hours of factorio today but that was also coop with my boyfriend so I guess spending that time with him was a priority.

Either way I totally feel you, it's rough unless theres something I truly want to do.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Strongly depends on the game. Some games I want to play for 30 minutes to an hour and then quit. Some I want to play for two hours, then only realize 6 hours have past after I look at the clock.

A huge part of this is not buying into hype and critical acclaim and just knowing what games you love. I can't tell you how many times I've played a critically acclaimed game and was impressed by what I saw, but ultimately just found it to boring to actually play. The Witness is the latest example. It's impressive. I also don't care for playing it at all for more than 10 minutes at a time. It's just not engaging and interesting enough, regardless of how cool it is.

Dark Souls III is the inverse of that. It's the 5th one of those games that doesn't stray from what it was in the beginning. Which means it's inherently less interesting. And yet, I fucking love that shit so much I'll probably play for hours on end.

Jaime_EX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, very glad to hear that I'm not the only one! And @zevvion yeah it definitely seems like we have less time and thus try to spend it playing games we know we'll love. Regardless of the actual time investment required.

Curiously enough, for me it's both gameplay and narrative that can engage me nowadays. The last two games that I found really engaging was Dark Souls games, and Bioshock Infinite. The souls game fits into the gameplay category. It's odd, with Dark Souls I feel immersed in the actual mechanics of the game with a fitting world/narrative layered on top. Whereas the Infinite is more of an engrossing narrative with layered with the appropriate mechanics. The odd thing is that I spent way more time on Souls (didn't even finish it though LOL) than I did on Infinite, but it doesn't seem less or more valuable than the time I spent on infinite.

Another thing I found interesting is that completionism is a big topic too, you all seem fine with dropping a game, has anyone ever felt guilt over this? Also, I've noticed this with a lot of aspects in my life - I can start a TV show or book, get really into it, lose interest, drop it, and NEVER look back. This makes me appreciate super focused content (i.e, games/movies/TV that have no fluff for the sake of fluff, I think Infinite is a good example of this). Wondering if that applies to any of you as well.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I'm at the point where I'm kind of feast or famine. I'm like that with most stuff but occasionally games come along that really grab me, like Witcher 3 and MGSV last year and Stardew Valley this year.

Just a continuing trend for me, kind of going along with watching more games being played and being involved in games through this site a lot. Or watching videos or listening to podcasts. It's a weird thing and I think a modern trend to do with multi tasking and the options available to us now. I try to fight that stuff in a lot of ways but I am still prey to it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I feel like there should be one megathread or a subforum for this, because this topic seemingly comes up weekly.

But yes absolutely this is a very very common phenomenon OP. Some of my friends ultimately quit gaming altogether or they find new plays to play in smaller chunks.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21  Edited By Giantstalker

I'm just about 30 and if I'm being honest, the opposite is true here.

School was way more demanding than my actual job, at least time-wise, and all the friends I used to drink/hang out/do stuff with have families of their own or moved away. They're locked into the career/relationship cycle I guess, not totally sure since the military world is its own kind of barrier. But I'm fairly sure based on Steam usage that they aren't playing much anymore, if at all

Most nights for me though I get back from the base and it's typically a four-five hour session on a couple different titles. Actually, since I can afford to spend more I end up playing more games rather than watching videos or listening to podcasts about them. Weekends are especially bad, if there's no exercise being prepped/ongoing then I'll lose a day or two easy in an MMO or something

EDIT: Also, alcohol helps hugely with "immersion" and has helped me get through plenty of games I otherwise woulda dumped

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By fatalbanana

I'm 25 and for me it's not that I don't have the ability to become immersed anymore it's that it takes a lot more to get me there. I think it has more to do with experience than age. I have played games damn near my whole life and I've seen all the tricks. What works and what doesn't. I know the limits my brain works on to allow itself to become immersed and unfortunately games are really hit and miss (more miss) when it comes to the things that work with immersion.

The last game I remember being immersed in like that would probably be Soma. Shutting myself in a dark room with noise cancelling headphones and just allowing myself to be "one with the game" no doubt lead to me enjoying that game as much as I did. Before that game I don't know. maybe Bioshock Infinite? Either way it's rare but when it happens I love it.

Personality has a lot to do with this too i think. Different people have different limits to their suspension of disbelief. Some people, adults and kids, have a very active imagination that allows them to be susceptible to things that other people don't have the compacity for. This can be simple things like games or movies or more complicated things like religion or even politics. Brains are weird and each one incredibly different. So everyone's acceptability to immersion is also different.

Avatar image for cyclonus_the_warrior
cyclonus_the_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 128

@jaime_ex: Oh yeah definitely. For one, outside of what I already own, I dropped fighting games completely simply because I don't have time to learn all of these different characters anymore. Plus I only have enough interest to play around 2-4 hours at best, and not even everyday. Too many things to do, and a whole lot of things I just like to do more than play games. Be 39 in August.

Avatar image for cyclonus_the_warrior
cyclonus_the_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 128

@giantstalker: I can relate to that. When I was in the military I definitely played far more games than I do now. I was running through about 3 titles weekly. I had so much time on my hands back then.

Mr402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wife, kids, house and all the BS that goes with it. I'll be 40 in a few weeks and have been gaming in it's various forms most of my life. So I'll break it down real simple. Competitive multiplayer is basically dead. You will have no time nor be given any to maintain those precious twitch skills that are required to keep your k/d looking good. What about coop campaign mutiplayer you say? It's doable but you'll say **** it pretty soon after becoming frustrated trying coordinate those sessions without being distracted for the infinite number of reasons that your family can and will interrupt so you might as well play it solo. Epic hundred hour experiences like the Witcher 3? That game which you could finished in a few days of marathon sessions will now take you 6 month's to actually finish if you finish it at all.

What this all means is that I recently realized that "You can't play everything." with so many choices and genres with high quality titles in everyone of them there is no way you can experience everything without becoming burned out or jaded. So I have made a decision to be more disciplined and only give my dollars and most important my time to genres that I can play and maintain a connection too without feeling like I'm simply going through the motions.

steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've definitely found myself to be more selective with my games as I got older. About 2 years ago I quit my job, got married to my long-time girlfriend, and moved a few states over to be with her. I knew I'd be unemployed for a while and assumed I'd be playing games like I did when I was in my 20s (I'm 39 now), or maybe even in my teens.

I discovered that I just don't have the stamina to play most games for long sittings like I used to. I somehow played through the original Wild Arms for PS1 in my first two months of living here, but that was more of the exception than the rule. Just today I started playing Gears of War Judgment, and it seems like a perfectly good Gears of War game. After three levels, though, I just felt drained. I needed a break. I'm not sure when I'll go back to it. Hopefully I'll play it a little tomorrow, but I've found myself often not in the mood to play a particular game for a while after I've started it, to the point that I don't think I'll remember how to play it by the time I come back to it.

On the other hand, when a game does hook me, it can hook me pretty good. During my lengthier-than-expected unemployment, I fell down the WoW-hole for the first time in years. I was surprised at how much it latched onto me. I also invested a huge amount of time into The Binding of Isaac Rebirth's expansion, Afterbirth. Stardew Valley is the most recent game to grab me in a similar way. I found it very easy to play "just one more day" in that game, although it's finally starting to wind down for me with 80+ hours of game time.

Anyway, I'm kind of rambling here, but basically, I'm a lot pickier about games than I used to be, and many of them just tire me out quickly. It's less and less common to find a game that I want to spend a lot of time on, even if I do recognize it as a good game.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arabes

I've gone the other way :) I'm in my mid 30's and have been playing since my dad bought us an Atari 2600. I have less time to play games now but I enjoy them more than ever. I think it has a lot to do with the types of games that I play changing over time. I used to play whatever I could get my hands on, but now I can pick and choose and only buy the games that I really want. I don't really play 'standard' 3rd person or first person shooters any more (too easy and not enough innovation) and most competitive games are out (my reflexes are not what they were and I don't like that kind of stress).

Nearly everything I play now is either quite challenging (Darkest Dungeon, Fallout 4 survival, Factorio, Day Z) or very narrative driven (Her Story, Firewatch, Walking Dead). Being able to afford whatever games I like and not having enough time to play them all means there is always something there for me take out of the backlog and start playing! I also finish a lot more games now than I used. It might take me a couple of attempts, but if I enjoy a game I alwsys try to get to the end.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I like what @artisanbreads said about Feast or Famine.

That's me in a nutshell.

I'm getting in to my 30s now and still find that games can hit me really, really hard. All of a sudden, I am playing a classic, sitting on the floor of my parents old basement, completely enraptured. This just hit me with Hyper Light Drifter. Before that was Gravity Rush, and before that was MGSV, and before that was Witcher 3. Obviously, feelings of immersion come and go within each of those games. But that there are games that trigger this for me is a happy thing all on its own. Some years it just doesn't happen that much. Then some years you get an FTL or a Hotline Miami or a Guacamelee! and badoom, bada-bing, bada-boom-boom baby!

@slag said:

I feel like there should be one megathread or a subforum for this, because this topic seemingly comes up weekly.

But yes absolutely this is a very very common phenomenon OP. Some of my friends ultimately quit gaming altogether or they find new plays to play in smaller chunks.

While it's something I almost want to dismiss (it's so normal duder fuggetaboutit!), I absolutely understand that...is it almost a fear?... of losing your interests. There's something almost touching to me about all these threads, and yeah, do they pop up often! For some reason I'm reminded of Gray Fox bashing his head into the floor going I'M LOSING MYSELF as if his love of videogames is slipping through the cracks. Sometimes you have those empty gaming nights where you spend hours and then go "Wait, the hell was all that for?" then, guilt. "Wait, don't I love this?" Stupid complex human emotions! ARRGAH!

I think for a lot us who have grown up with games, it can be hard to compare how we feel today to how we think we felt as kids. As we grow older it's easy to ask "Didn't I enjoy this more?" and sometimes we can write a narrative into that where we've moved on from whatever interest that is. Reality is more complex, naturally. For some reason, we rarely admit how fleeting our interests are. There's something about how we're wired that I feel says "once into games, always into games". Like, I couldn't possibly become a car guy now, right? I should have been buying those magazines my whole life.

Also want to say I agree with @arabes (sorry this post is going really long everyone!) in regards to more challenging games being much more stimulating for me. Definitely I look for challenges way more than I used to in the past, even to the point of making games more challenging by installing my own "house rules". This could be key for some people who are feeling unsatisfied I think. At the same time, the flip could be true. That's very easy to see I think.

TL:DR

I don't think it's the games (quality of content), or your life (time to spend, responsibilities). It's you. It's me. The first path to redemption is to accept that.

Second, I feel the best advice is to pay attention to what you enjoy and what you don't enjoy. Don't force yourself to finish/play anything in the mood you are in OP. Also, seriously consider new genres and developers/franchises if you haven't branched out much. Maybe what you found satisfying last year no longer tickles your brain.

Finally... interests change. I've gone 6 months without touching a game, but some people will take years off, so, who knows. Don't be afraid to not play games, especially if you often feel "maybe I should be doing something else?"

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been able to play a game for more than a few hours at a time, even if I have the whole day to do it. It's always perplexed me how people can remain engaged/focused with a game for 4+ hours.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By davidh219

I've definitely fallen off gaming a lot since I was 16-18 (25 now). For me, it's directly related to getting super into reading and writing around 19, and also to people just not really making the kind of games I like very often. Almost every full, disc-based game is some form of open-world/shooter/RPG. I didn't even play shooters until 360 era, and I get tired of them really fast even now. I'll play maybe one a year. And while I really love Elder Scrolls, Witcher 3 has shown that not all open-world RPGs will grab me the same way. Back in the day I used to play a ton of stealth games (Splinter Cell, Thief) 3D platformers (Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet) and point and click adventure games. They don't really make many of those anymore. Dark Souls is one of the very few things to really grab me in the last five years.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just couldn't give a shit about narrative anymore. I'm 29.

This is the opposite of how I now feel. I used to be more interested in dicking around in games, but nowadays if I don't have a real impetus to push on (like the progression of a story, primarily), I just feel like I'm wasting time. Bailed on Fallout 4 pretty early on, and I had enjoyed and beaten both previous Bethesda Fallouts around release. I'm 30.

I also feel like, in general, the amount of time I'm willing to sink into a game in one play session drops with age. Something I've observed in myself and others.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turned 30 this year. In the holidays I played each game in my steam library once more and proceeded to delete them. I compulsively hoarded games whenever a good deal came around but I never played them so I decided to at least check them out once before I deleted them. I did it because I just didn't want to devote so much time to gaming anymore because it was both time consuming and because I can get really addicted to them and it was negatively affecting my ability to work and thus my work life balance.

Nowadays I play exactly 2 games, heroes of the storm and SFV and that's maybe like 5-6 hours combined per week. It's weird... or maybe not so weird as I've seen something similar posted by other users, but I'm consuming more GB content than I play video games now. Anyways, I find these games have a nice timeframe to them that naturally causes you to stop playing which is usually the end of a match, and HotS games are much shorter than the other MOBA games so I'm looking at like 30minutes at most on a match usually.

At this point I can't even think about any game that takes 40+ hours, especially rpg's, and I loved me some rpg's back in the days. So I guess in a sense you can say I have trouble staying immersed. I still had the itch to buy fallout4, just cause 3 and now dark souls 3 but I don't think I can do it anymore. A part of me almost wish some of these games that I want to buy will get a bad review so I can have more ammunition to resist getting them but that's selfish. No Man Sky might be a tough one to resist personally... pray for me D:

LostOddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think allot of this is down to time and money. When i was a kid i had all the time you could want to play games but no money to buy them. So when i got a game i committed hours and hours to it even if it wasn't that good. Now i've enough money to buy games but less time to play them. Since my free time is more precious to me now i just dont want to waste it on games that dont grab me.

To my eternal shock i dropped fallout 4 after like 40 hours (Felt more like a shooter than an rpg- not my bag). Time was i'd wring those games dry. But now if a game doesn't hold my interest i've a million other options for entertainment, so why waste my time with it.

Weirdly enough though i did like a 6 hour stretch in Shadow of Mordor on Saturday and plan to do more when i have time - still a really good game - DLC is kinda meh though.

TVippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TVippy

@jaime_ex: Yes, because games ARE pretty dumb... this is coming from a person who lives and breathes games.

Also, ALL of the games are repetition of the same actions, that would only last a 10 minutes or so, if done in sequence.

When I play I also have the neverending SENSE OF GUILT, always thinking that I should be doing something productive, instead of playing game, and it's killing me!

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's I need X amount of time to immerse fully in a game, and with my life as it is now job, family etc. I just dont have giant multi-hour blocks in my day to play video games since i'm not 20 anymore.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely, I rarely play a game without also listening to a podcast or something. It has to have a better than decent story to get my full attention

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This may just be me, but I have never once felled "immersed" in a video game. Which is one reason I'm so hyped for VR, because I think I'll finally be able to experience that.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going on 32 here, and for me if a game does not sell me within the first hour or 2 I just do not deal with it. I don't have the time nor the want to deal with a bunch of BS just to be disappointed or bored with a game.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've just changed the kinds of games I play (narrative as opposed to shooters) and it works for me no problem. I'm also a cinephile, so, make of that what you will.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I straight up can't play stuff like Fallout anymore. Things that are super time consuming (save for Bioware's stuff and the occasional JRPG), I just can't do. Same with super difficult games. I want to blow through games as fast as humanly possible to experience them, and then move on to other stuff. The older I get, the more things shift in that direction.

pushBAK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can afford it then get a kickass home theater setup and everything is immersive.

Avatar image for arkade_kalamity
Arkade_Kalamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Arkade_Kalamity

The older I get, the more pressed I am for time, which means I only have a short amount of time to be immersed, which flat out sucks. Every game I play now I have to plow through it. It really kills the idea being immersed. Last game I can honestly say I was totally immersed in and took my sweet ass time with was the first BioShock.

Almost 9 years ago.

I miss those days. Getting old sucks my friends.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a responsible adult and family man my game time and modes have drastically changed. I no longer get more than a couple hours a night, if I even get that, to play games. However one of the things I have recently done is bought a gaming laptop that I can use to play games sitting next to my wife on the couch or in bed while she watches her TV shows that I have very little interest in. You'd be surprised how much just being in the same room with your partner even if you are both doing your own thing can really benefit a relationship.

This also allows me to remote play a lot of my Xbox games from my Xbox One for my Games with Gold games as I have been checking out those quite a bit the last few months.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You say that like it's a bad thing :P

I usually play games that are 2 hours or less that still give me a memorable experience. Some of my favourite games of the past few years have been that short.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cikame

Yep same here, i'm 26 and regularly clock out of games to just browse youtube or something, i find now that instead of playing games for story or to be immersed in a world i play them to just see what was created, to see the scripting at work, animation quality, how the developer stitches it all together and whether they were successful. I watch all aspects of the industry because it interests me, and for the same reason i play the games too.
To inspire me to play games i make it a challenge to get through them and try to mix it up, i recently got through The Witcher 3 which took me months, so as a reward i'll play a few shorter games so i can enjoy beating things more regularly for a bit before my next rpg or sandbox, i never think more than 1 game ahead and make the choice based on which genre i haven't played recently, from The Witcher 3 i went to Black Ops 3, next might be Wolfenstein Old Blood because it's pretty short, but after that i'll probably play Oddworld New n' Tasty (my backlog is insane).

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're growing up, when we were kids we used to play with sticks and rocks, watch cartoons, or any number of things for hours and not get bored. It shouldn't be a problem that you can't play games for more than two hours, I'd be worried for you if two hours was your minimum!

There's nothing wrong with variety, it's a great thing, and trust me if you do other things to take your mind off games and recharge you'll come back when there is something that really grabs your interest, and you'll be locked in.

haxdax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've actually found the opposite to be true for me. I suppose it depends on your definition of Immersion.

When I was young, I played games with more patience and would get through games even if I wasn't as interested. I'd attribute it to lack of money and the ability to get more video games. But I was LESS immersed in video games. I never really took any other character besides my own seriously. I was never immersed in the world of a game.

As I've gotten older, 22 now, I've had less overall patience for playing through video games that I'm not especially interested in. Though I've become WAY MORE immersed in video games. Getting to the end of Mass Effect 2 and having half of my crew killed really sucked. Hell, in Mass Effect 3 I restarted the game as a woman because I found out Specialist Traynor was a lesbian. I find myself actually reading quest text or the infamous coworker emails of recent games. My role-playing has taken a step up.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Casepb

I'm 30 now and it depends on the game for me. Single player stuff I will play for an hour maybe, then switch to another game for a bit or just do something around the house. Co-op stuff I will play for at least 3 hours or more depending on the friend. When I was in my early 20s I would play anything for at least 2-3 hours easy. I didn't have as much on my mind then though.

blakdeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By blakdeth

Approaching 40 and I can squeeze in 10 to 12 hours of game time in a week. That usually amounts to a couple of hours each evening. I don't believe my tastes have changed that much. I am still interested in all types of games from big AAA games to indie titles as well as the occasional MMO. I simply have a lot less time to play games, thus completing a game takes me much longer. For example, I recently completed Fallout 4 (main story plus some extras) in 100 hours spread over four months. The disheartening thing, in my opinion, is reading posts from folks who will complete one or two playthroughs of a particular game mere days after the initial release. I wish I had that kind of time.