Anyone Else Really Bummed Out By The Gaming World After E3?

• 97 results
paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By paradox121

I know the gaming world, be it with journalists or small-time internet commenters, are pretty synnoymous for being negative moaners but after this E3...it's honestly got me down.  

Arguably, every company showed some really interesting, great looking stuff, and yet I was personally hard done by to find consistent positive comments. Maybe I'm just being unrealistic, but back when I was a kid I remember flipping through games magazines, seeing all these amazing new announcements about games and consoles and being amazed and happy and optimistic...now, people release a trailer and its ripped apart. 

My main annoyance was the reception to the Wii U. Crappy name, crappy reveal, but some genuinely new and clever concepts that I'm interested to see develop. Five minutes after, people were predicting it's failure. Literally every preview I saw said the controller looked great, it wasn't awkward or heavy to hold, and the tech demos were interesting. But the internet, for some reason, couldn't accept this, and decided that it was impossible to hold, with only crappy Wii-level graphics. My favourite incident was the whole demo reel thing. For people who don't know, during the conference Nintendo showed a trail of third party games being developed (Darksiders II, Dirt, Tekken etc). You couldn't go to a site without people lambasting it as being below 360/PS3 level....even though it was video of the games playing on those systems. Now, I'm in no way defending Nintendo. They've said far from enough to satisfy people, and in all honesty, if they just eluded to the specs more clearly it'd probably placate a whole lot of people, but I'm really getting tired of this instant-write off thing the gaming world has got going. 

The other hardware reveal, the Vita, seemed to be automatically and inexplicably be written off too. Now, I totally understand people's views. Patrick perfectly explained on the Bombcast why he didn't think the system would sell all that well, and Sony doesn't have the greatest history of keeping their handhelds going, but I've heard a few cases where it's already the butt of jokes. "Guess it'll sell as well as the Vita, LOL". Wow, people really? The thing hasn't even started selling and it's already a failure? 

I think at the heart of it, there's this inherent need on the internet to be seen as the most cynical, because then you get to feel like you're superior somehow. Saying anything positive is somehow weak and silly, unless it features guns or has some nice lighting in it. Games like Tomb Raider, Mario 3DS, Battlefield 3, MW3...all had chunks taken out of them. But apparently, if the internet's going to be believed, all handhelds will cease to exist, Nintendo will sell a total of 15 Wii U's before going third party, and Halo 8 will be the new pinnicle of games. What fun. 

RANT OVER.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By McGhee

I think a lot of us were expecting Nintendo to go back to more of a normal type of console. The early reports of the controller with the big screen on it were looked at as a joke. And then it turned out to be actually true. The Wii U just looks stupid to me. So I can hold it up and point it at the TV like it's a scope. Whoop dee doo.

I'm more interested in the Vita, despite the fact that every time I buy a hand held I never use it very much. But since I'll be doing a lot of traveling in the near future, maybe that will change.

wecantgetaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By wecantgetaway

Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3, and plenty other games looked great. Not to mention 2 new innovative gaming platforms. No hate here!

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By HubrisRanger

I will admit, between some of the comments here and all of the drama over the DC reboots, the whole internet geek culture has bummed me out as a whole. I think we expect more and more every year, and because the current generation is in a bit of a twilight period, it becomes harder and harder to see anything that revolutionary. But we have amazing games coming up in the next year: Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Prey 2, Bioshock fucking Infinite. We just expect to be wowed, but in the age of constantly being plugged in, it becomes harder and harder to be caught off guard.

ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By ConstantRa1n
@paradox121 said:
  RANT OVER.
This was the best part about your post.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By kingzetta

good games are coming out 
*double thumbs up*

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I think both the Wii U and Vita look interesting. I haven't really been following much E3 coverage though.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#8  Edited By Sin4profit

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

I think a lot of us were expecting Nintendo to go back to more of a normal type of console.

Why would we want that? Nintendo has always been the leader in innovating ideas. Only time i remember Nintendo every being a "normal" console was when the Gamecube came out. It was the lack of innovation in that thing that people weren't into if i remember right.

@paradox121: The unfortunate answer here would just be to stay off the internet. If what information you're getting doesn't please you, find sources that do.

macot79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By macot79

It's always been this way, ever since I can remember. Gamers on the web are largely cynical and I guess that's par of the course by now. I remember when the Wii was first announced (Revolution back then), people went crazy saying it was a failure, dead-on-arrival, the death of Nintendo and so on. There will always be a very vocal minority that will never be happy no matter how a game or console pans out.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phish09

Look past the mainstream AAA titles.  Shit is awesome out there.  Did you see From Dust? Journey?  Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning?  Puzzle Agent 2?  

Even of the big AAA titles, I think there are some amazing looking games coming; Bioshock Infinite, Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3.  I think this is gonna be a great year for games...maybe the best of this generation (I'm talking from this E3 to next E3,not Jan-Dec). 

I'm pretty impressed by the gaming industry right now.  Maybe as much, if not more than I have been in my 28 years on this planet. 

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By JoeyRavn

Well, yeah. I just don't like the "I have an opinion, I must tell it to the world" position many people adopt after these big events. Sure, everyone's entitled to like or dislike whatever they want. But having that opinion doesn't mean you can be an ass about it. You didn't like it, that's fine. Don't go around posting in every single thread your hate for the Wii U, the "2151011548120" Gears/Halo sequel, how dumb MW3 is or whatever.

That is what really annoys me. How self-centered and high-horsey people get. Get over it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho

I concur. This E3 taught me some people are just bitterly resentful and perpetually unhappy, they just want to complain about things they haven't even played themselves.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

There are cynical assholes among us who are determined to never be pleased, no matter what's shown to them. Just try to ignore them.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mnzy

I think this is actually some kind of psychological phenomenon that's probably new, because streams and stuff like that didn't exist a few years ago.
You can observe the same thing like in all those press conferences in streams for games. People obviously like what they watch or they wouldn't watch it but they are fucking bithing like crazy. If you really take a step back from this years E3 you have to agree that there was a crazy amount of games and new stuff in general, probably hundreds of games only for the next year and people still say it sucked.
Somebody has to write a paper on that.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By hexogen

People who are big enthusiasts of something also tend to be the biggest critics of it. Especially with stuff like video games and tech, since those companies love to demo their stuff early. I think a lot of people get super excited as E3 approaches and think they're going to be blown away every year, and while there's nothing wrong with setting their expectations high, I think they're just bound to be disappointed most of the time. And this being the internet and all, kneejerk reactions take priority over rationality.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gaff

Oh god.

If fanboyism and blind allegiance was the childhood of the internet past, "irony", cynicism and lulz are the zit-encrusted teenage years of the present internet.

@McGhee_the_Insomniac: At first I was very sceptical about the Wii U, though after seeing some footage (on Tested) I can see the appeal: controls are responsive, the screen works fine, and one can think of some good uses for the screen. On the other hand Nintendo's output as a developer isn't the big draw for me, their relationship with third party publishers is strained at best and playing current gen games with an "innovative and immersive control scheme" feels just as much fun as shoving my fingers into a power socket: they won't fit and I'll be shocked at what a terrible idea it was.

spazm6666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By spazm6666

The internet and mass media in general have been selling cynicism and skepticism for the last several years, and it's made it's way mightily to gaming and gaming sites. Ignore the trolling and lulz-ing and take the important facts from each article or 'cast.

As for GB and other reviewers being harder or more critical... I agree to a point. But remember these guys have been doing this a long time and it's hard to not get a little bit jaded with the sheer exposure and access to gaming and the industry they have. Watch the E3 wrap-ups.. especially day 3, THAT WILL SHEER YOU UP!

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 46

#18  Edited By EpicBenjamin

@ryanwho said:

I concur. This E3 taught me some people are just bitterly resentful and perpetually unhappy, they just want to complain about things they haven't even played themselves.

Agreed.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By awesomeusername
All the conferences disappointed me but good games are coming so who cares?
Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Patman99

I feel that 2011 has been a great year for games. So many good ones have come out and will probably come out in the coming months. 2012, while promising will be a year of preparation. A few good games but most companies will be gearing up for the future. Usually when there is a slow E3, the following E3 is exploding with awesomeness!

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Ramone

I think the important difference to make between internet people is people who think things are going to fail and people who want things to fail and personally I think the latter group should be completely ignored. I saw a lot of great things this E3 in terms of games and hardware, the PSVita, Farcry 3, Battlefield 3 and Bioshock are probably my highlights this year. I think a lot of people are cynical becuase they've been burned in past years so that's fair enough really.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By xpgamer7

For Wii U I want battalion wars HD with Advance wars on the small screen. Not too hard to figure out how that'd work. For Vita I just want more sony games like LBP and golden abyss.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I am really bummed out by the gaming world after E3 because this E3 debuted two new systems (not new to the internet. Nothing is new to the internet), games with multi-million dollar budgets, games for the 'hardcore' and 'casuals', and multiple websites vying for your attention by delivering spectacular E3 show floor coverage, behind the scenes, and relevant personal insight...

but despite all this, people would call this a failure of an E3 and get "really bummed" about it.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By raiz265

Pretty much. Pretty sad how people complain about the Wii-U not being another Xbox360 or Playstation3, why would you want another one of those?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could give a damn about  the silly motion controls or WII U Console's have gone gimmicky this gen whatever happen to the games man just the games PC FTW.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm not bummed out because I don't give a fuck what everyone is saying. 

Videogames are fantastic.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I got 50 games right now that I still need to play, I really don't care about E3 as I have plenty of gaming time to use up before any of those games come out.  I also don't care about new hardware as I'm invested in Xbox 360 and PC and they'll keep me gaming for years to come.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By neoepoch

Everyone saying how they are way more interested in the Vita than the Wii U remind me of people back in 2004-2005. Everyone was bashing on the DS and praising the PSP, and look how that turned out. Now I'm not saying the Vita is going to fail spectacularly like the editors of this site, I'm very interested in it myself, but this is kinda turning into a case of history repeating itself.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Nomin

They're just setting their expectations low and grim so they can be swoope up in a bandwagon of merry sheeple later. There is nothing misery loves than more misery.
I assure you that a lot of people disparaging Wii-U now will be huddling in the lineup on one wet cold morning in front of a Best Buy. 

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well i missed all the live streams of the shows so i cant really say much.  i thought it was alright.  its not like it was a disaster

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By redbliss

You just have more access to people the media now than ever before. That is all it is. I guarantee back then plenty of people were negative about stuff.

coolwhip83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By coolwhip83

I agree with the OP. There are a few reasons for all the negativity on the internet: 

-people that are unhappy about something are more vocal and feel the needs to vent 
-the internet is VERY accessible, the second something happens people can vent their first reaction. If you stop and think about something for a few minutes for a lot of people the reaction might be different 
-the gamingcrowd has a lot of 'nerds' in it. I assume there is a bigger amount of anti social people in this group of people. Which  might lead to more bitching. (the amount of pure nerdraging hate about the reavel of the Wii U on a forum like neogaf is/was baffling)
-people love to hate Nintendo, probably because they have a weak spot for them and want them to do better 
-people want attention. You can say you think for example the Wii U games look kinda bad, noone will reply to you or notice you. But if you say 'ROFL WTF IS THIS SHIT, WII U HAS WORSE GRAPHICS THAN PS2!' that will give you more attention.

Magma_Pear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Magma_Pear

Have to say that I'm really impressed by Forza 4, and the kinect stuff for it is amazing. I think the Kinect is redeemed because of Forza 4 alone. Microsoft has all the 3rd party games coming out an dhas it's major first party games too. So I think the 360 is looking very good right now. I know a lot of people complained that ther was a lot of Kinect stuff - but really all I see is that a Kinect is being supported and it is being used to improve the games on the system, even the hardcore ones. I look forward to using Kinect with Mass Effect 3 for example.

For Sony, I really hope the PS Vista (hahah) destroys the 3DS. Sony has all their great first party games coming out and also tons of 3rd party support as usual. Now that the PSN crysis is over, all is well again. Sony, unlike MS has been putting MOve support into a lot of hardcore games from the start and they look to be continuing that. Plus they are doing some cool integration stuff with the Vita and the PS32. So I think Sony and MS are doing a great job of going head to head. I would have to sya that with th enew dashboard coming out for the 360 and the very tight voice integration they are doing plus the innovative stuff they are doing - plus the big kinect games that are going well, I think MS has the best outlook right now. You don't hear about any huge Move specific games out there unlike the 360 with games like Dance Central 2 coming out. There seems to be no killer app for the Move. And MS's big franchise game are still bigger than Sony's -. So I think MS has thehe edge right now.

NOw Nintendo I believe is in a sorry state. They certainly didn't get my money with the Wii. I'm sorry but I'm tired of all the great Mario and zelda games. Those games are all great but you know what they are all the same. Adding a little motion control gimmicks to them hasn't necessarily made them better. At least with Kinect there' all new stuff, and MS is demosntration how it can be used to actually improve existing games. Head tracking on Forza for exampe. Even the Move has this, GT5 had head tracking with the playstation eye.

Now we have the Nintendo U, or Wii U. Or Wii Wii. Sorry to troll on that bname for a bit, it's kind of stupid. But here is the thing. That system is may be a notch about the 360 and pS3 - but man, it's not really NEXT gen is it? Clearly not. That tech demo was NOT impressive. Neither was th Zelda one. Impressive to me is the Epic tech demo. Hell, even the demo shown by lionhead studios for the 360 looked worlds more impressive. I'm talking about this one:

And forza 4 - craps all over that tech demo. Uncharted 3, easily does the same. So I don't think the Nintendo U is looking all that impressive. It might down the line but not right now it isn't. And the controller. I'm sorry but I don't see myself playing a fighting game with that controller. Or a racing game. An RPG, maybe, maybe not.Is Skyrim coming out fo the U? There wern't any major game annoucments for it. No Mass Effect 3, no next Call of Duty. Is Ace Combat coming out for it?The biggest problem I have with NIntendo is that I was unconfivned with the Wii, and the U has done nothign to change that. I mean I heard a lot of promises but.... NOthing concrete. So it's a wait an dsee game. Plus now we already know that there will be no Xbox LIve or PSN equivelent on the system. This pretty much kills the system for any hardcore online community. This sort of makes the U dead in the water for me. They didn't announce the price either. I think Nintendo is is going to be stuck with they kiddy market they cut for themselves. They should stick to that rather than try to move in on the 360 and PS3 territory. IN a few years, the PS4 and Nextbox will crush it as far as the hardcore are concerned, I'm pretty sure of that. So the U seems like a waste of time and investment for the hardcore.
joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By joshth

I couldn't agree with you more.
paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By paradox121
Woo! I've actually managed to create a happy place on the internet. It's like some kind of scary, new untouched ground. 

@nail1080
said:
cool story bro
I really hope you're being hilariously ironic or you've just gone on to prove how dickish people online are.
beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By beckley205

There is only one cynic on the internet and that is Ben Yahtzee Croshaw. Zero punctuation FTW!!!!!!!

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RichardLOlson
@Patman99 said:

I feel that 2011 has been a great year for games. So many good ones have come out and will probably come out in the coming months. 2012, while promising will be a year of preparation. A few good games but most companies will be gearing up for the future. Usually when there is a slow E3, the following E3 is exploding with awesomeness!

Yes this is mostly true.  The bottom line, people are excited for many reasons and there is no reason to hate .
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iam3green

i thought it was alright. i think most of the things were disappointing because they didn't show anything exciting.  wii u and vita were exciting to see but i'm talking about the games. most of what they showed were just sequels to games. we should get new IP instead of sequels. yes, new games are expensive to make but it would be more money to think of something different to make.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ryanwho
@Xpgamer7 said:

For Wii U I want battalion wars HD with Advance wars on the small screen. Not too hard to figure out how that'd work. For Vita I just want more sony games like LBP and golden abyss.

Im a little curious how an RTS and a turn based strategy would uh work in concert.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By toowalrus

Fuck no, I'm psyced for Darksiders 2, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning... fucking Batman, Uncharted, Battlefield, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Halo-

...games are better now than they ever were.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41  Edited By me3639

2012 is looking great, but beyond i am starting to feel worried. There were more remakes, or remodeled games announced than new AAA IP's.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mazik765

Nope, I'm pretty content with gaming.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Brendan

I saw a ton of cool stuff that I really want to play.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Demyx

I don't like the controller, but first party games from nintendo on an HD console is exciting.

Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hzaife

Theres awesome games coming, Uncharted, Gears, Forza, ME3, Tomb Raider, Ninja Gaiden 3, Resident Evil

Not to mention the interesting possibilities with Wii-U and Vita, dont be such a hater man

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Trebz

The games are looking fantastic and the Vita looks promising. If there's anyone I'd be slightly concerned about, it'd be Nintendo. Where the 3DS and the Wii U fit into the grand scheme of video games seems very uncertain and I'm afraid they're about to lose their footing.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47  Edited By JasonR86

Really?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By FreakAche

I made the unfortunate mistake of spending a lot of time in the chat on the Gamespot live stream. I was absolutely dumbfounded by the amount of negativity people were expressing about absolutely everything. I felt like asking the question, "Do you people even like video games?"

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By tourgen

Not all of the hate is undeserved. Back when the industry was young all the major players were taking bigger risks and trying odd things out. Not so much any more. I think that frustrates people who are into gaming to see new and interesting ideas. The big players were asking people to choke down a whole lot of BS motion control junk, rail shooters, and formulaic military shooters this year. People revolted. I don't blame them.

The WiiU didn't get any good games announced along side it. So for now it's just a tech toy gimmick.

The PSV is a scaled down console with some touch controls and motion sensors. It did have some kinda cool games announced for it that seemed to be at least trying to take advantage of the HW. I agree on this one. Maybe people are writing it off a little early. If all it gets are downscaled console ports tho it's DOA.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By clstirens
@tourgen said:

The big players were asking people to choke down a whole lot of BS motion control junk, rail shooters, and formulaic military shooters this year. People revolted. I don't blame them.

This is my issue with this years e3. I love games and gaming, and this e3 has plenty of great announcements and games to look forward to.   I am passionately thrilled about playing Journey, for example. I don't usually get THAT excited for a concept.

But I'm a little jaded about having the big three basically step up in front of the reviewers I can relate towards, and shoving more lulz motion and rail shooters down our throats (although, while there are far too many CoD clones, I'm not honestly bother at all by their appearance or number).

I don't feel to old for games, I just feel like the market is focused on a different kind of consumer now.  Games I love have, still do, and will continue to come out. They just won't be the way I completely wish they were. So is the way with everything.

EDIT: God that sounded really bitchy and negative, and I hate being bitchy and negative.... I guess after a crummy day at work and being let down (I already expected a not-too-great game as is, to be fair) when I watched total biscuit's first impression of Duke Nukem, I'm in the wrong mood to be enthusiastic about my hobby.

TL:DR e3 was somewhat mum, but great games continue to come out and will continue to do so.