Anyone else strictly against cross-media development?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I don't mean by this as movies being turned into games. Some of these can be good (Goldeneye, Godfather), but common consensus says otherwise. I mean something that goes from game to X. Game to novel. Game to comic. Game to movie. Game to action figure. Basically, the Gears of War effect.

I am strictly against this. When you make a movie out of a game, it shows that the game wasn't good enough to get the point across, which should be avoided strictly. If you can't say it through game and can make it more enjoyable through cinema, can the game and make a blockbuster. All this seems to stem from my current feelings that there is no creativity left in Hollywood. Everything is licensed. With Books, it makes me sad that people would rather read about Commander Shepard than someone like Dorian Gray or Joe Bonham.

In summation: I see cross-media development as a way for the corporate machine to fruther part you from your dollar by feeding you exactly what you think you want, while never giving you what you really want.