Anyone else think Gamespot is pulling an Apple?

mister1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mister1337

I don't know how many of you are familar with what happened with Gil Amelio as the CEO that almost killed Apple.In a nutshell, Jobs and Amelio were both high ups at Apple. Jobs and Amelio were in some sort of scuffle that had to be decided by the Board of Directors. They sided with Amelio and fired Jobs. When Amelio was CEO he signed the deal with Microsoft (giving them access to all their patents which, bit Apple int he Ass years later in a legal battle). As the Apple ship started to sink the Board of Directors realized how terribly wrong they were in firing Jobs so, they bought NeXT (Jobs' new company) to get him back on board and save the company.

Anyone else thing Gamespot is doing the same thing? Jeff was what made Gamespot good, they suck and have ever since they got rid of him. It seems like either they want him back, or their legal embargo is up from the 2007 scandal. Take it for what you will.

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Jimbo7676

Well, no. Jeff is not going to be taking a position deciding any of what Gamespot does so it is not like Steve Jobs coming back but having Giantbomb in your building can only lead to good (dumb) things.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By myke_tuna
@mister1337: I think this analogy will only hold true if Jeff gets fired again (or leaves) because GS fucks something up again and then comes back AGAIN. Only because Jobs helped start Apple and Jeff helped start Giant Bomb. Jeff didn't really help start GS (as far as I know). 

But he did REALLY start GS, didn't he?
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Andorski

Isn't Gamespot still one of the biggest video game websites out there, only trailing behind IGN?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Andorski said:

Isn't Gamespot still one of the biggest video game websites out there, only trailing behind IGN?

Pretty much. Gamestop, despite the shit it gets from 'the internet elite,' is still easily one of the biggest video game sites out there.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JasonR86

'Pulling an Apple' sounds like a hell of a sex move.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Andorski

@JasonR86 said:

'Pulling an Apple' sounds like a hell of a sex move.

Two websites, One apple.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

But...Steve Jobs isn't leaving neXt in this case. They are staying separate in terms of their identity. They are sharing resources from CBS, which is a different scenario.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Andorski said:

Yes.

Also, Gamespot didn't buy Jeff or Giantbomb, CBS is.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Drebin_893

You don't know what you're talking about, Gamespot is one of the most viewed gaming websites on the internet, if not the most.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Aaron_G

Kinda. Except its like putting neXt inside of Apple. Which is kinda of what happened because Jobs got rid of all the crap Apple was focused on and OS X is more similar to its NeXt counter-parts than the other Apple OS.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Etnos

@Drebin_893 said:

You don't know what you're talking about

also CEO =/= Vid game journalist.. sight... /roll eyes.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By DukesT3

@Etnos said:

@Drebin_893 said:

You don't know what you're talking about

also CEO =/= Vid game journalist.. sight... /roll eyes.

Oh but just imagine that world! Jeff as CEO. Shit would get DONE.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EchoEcho

I actually don't have a problem with Gamespot. Giant Bomb certainly replaced them as my go-to gaming website, but they still cover a lot of things that don't get coverage here, and people like Kevin VanOrd, Justin Calvert, and Chris Watters do good, honest reviews.

Also, Jeff won't be working at Gamespot, so... no?

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By RagingLion

@Jimbo7676 said:

Well, no. Jeff is not going to be taking a position deciding any of what Gamespot does so it is not like Steve Jobs coming back but having Giantbomb in your building can only lead to good (dumb) things.

Except he is it seems, and I was suprised at this too when I spotted the smallprint in Gamespot's own news release:

"Gerstmann will continue in his role as editor-in-chief of Giant Bomb and will help shape the editorial direction of CBS Interactive's gaming portfolio, including GameSpot and GameFAQs."

I want to say you're reading too much into this but I guess I could see Jeff contributing some consultancy to the Gamespot team and providing a bit of guidance. There are some old wise heads still at Gamespot but actually not that many considering, so Jeff and maybe the others could be useful to the group as a whole.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't think they're going to do that. i don't think jeff is going to go to gamespot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Jimbo7676 said:

That's kind of what Steve did at first until he took complete control again.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By ez123

I think you're right. The gamespot article says that Jeff "will help shape the editorial direction of CBS Interactive's gaming portfolio, including GameSpot and GameFAQs."

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Gamespot wasn't sinking at all stop using bizarre fanboy rationale.

shotodrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By shotodrag

I really only see this as a good thing when it comes to the Giant Bomb staff, and us, as well. The GB staff gets to continue doing what they do best, and we get to continue enjoying the content they provide for us. The people here have never steered me off course before, and I have no reason to think they would do so now. I'm along for the ride, and I think it will be a good one.