Anyone out there who can help make a simple program?

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 9cupsoftea

This is probably a long shot, but I want to create a game installer for free online indies (AGS games, unity games, maybe flash support for swf files if that's possible) - kind of like steam does with paid games. The program would basically be a gui that shows the user a bunch of free games, searchable, with screenshots and links and some info on the developer, and which should download and install the games in (hopefully) a single click.

I would add the games myself, and hopefully get a few others online to help me keep the database up to date. There's something like this out there already (tiggit) but development seems to have ground to a halt, and only the developer can add the games making the library pretty small.

I'm currently teaching myself a bit of .net and some C programming, but I'm a complete beginner, and would probably make a real mess with it. I know there are brilliant people out there who can make things like this and make them well so if someone could help create the framework I'd really appreciate it. It would hopefully be an awesome way for people to get into the thriving indie game scene more easily and discover a lot of hidden gems.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

10 PRINT "BUTTS"

20 GOTO 10

lazarenth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As a software engineer, the above post is reaching the limits of what can be qualified as a "simple program" :P

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EXTomar

The thing most non-engineers do not realize that "programs" with any sufficient amount of features quickly go beyond "a simple program". The amount of interactions just from the features listed in the Original Post is huge where the engineering requirements alone would take a bit of work before anyone started typing out code.

Instead of writing up some application to do this, use a web server. A properly designed portal should do much of what they want without creating all of the features from scratch. Of course this isn't a trivial amount of work either....

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@extomar said:

The thing most non-engineers do not realize that "programs" with any sufficient amount of features quickly go beyond "a simple program". The amount of interactions just from the features listed in the Original Post is huge where the engineering requirements alone would take a bit of work before anyone started typing out code.

Instead of writing up some application to do this, use a web server. A properly designed portal should do much of what they want without creating all of the features from scratch. Of course this isn't a trivial amount of work either....

nah man, just use basic html and call it retro 90's style website. Use low resolution images and files that link to an FTP. BOOM done.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: Yeah, I shouldn't have said 'simple', I know it's still a lot of work! Messing around with visual basic I can make a basic thing which points to some download links, but I can't figure out how to get the program to handle them in the right way. Plus when it comes to creating a gui that's actually usable and flexible I'm a long way off, though I'm getting there. Like I said, I'm teaching myself and I'm sure eventually I'll be able to get close to what I want to do, but it would be great if someone could help me out with some of the fundamentals.