Anyone watch 'Console Wars' on CBS All Access?

devron8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Brad mentioned the fact that Console Wars released on CBS All Access. Watched it last night. Overall, I thought it was pretty good - I won't talk too much about the content, but I think the GB crowd would appreciate it, even if only for the classic footage. HOWEVER....

(WARNING.... some details exist below if you want to go in completely unsullied.)

They start at the launch of the NES mostly. When they reach the end of the 16bit era, I was just waiting for them to talk about the Nintendo PlayStation and how the deal went bad with Sony at E3. The show talked a ton about SEGA's relationship (not Nintendo's) with Sony -- which I thought was INCREDIBLY weird. Also, the show largely focused on Sega of Japan CEO Hayao Nakayama, but I don't recall them at all talking about Hiroshi Yamauchi, which I also thought was incredibly strange.

I know that Seth Rogan was producing this and I know how passionate he is about games. I was really surprised that there would be such a glaring omission as the Nintendo PlayStation. Were there legal reasons to not talk about it?? I don't understand.

Am I missing something?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well, it's probably more dramatic to focus on how Sega canceled the Sony partnership, and then how the Playstation kicked their ass. Hubris leading to downfall is a proven story.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listened to the audio book a while back, and that was pretty heavily focused on Sega. If anything, it came across more as a dramatization of events given that all of the individuals were given dialogue... dialogue that didn't sound much like something that normal humans would say, mind you. Factually it seemed questionable, too, in spots.

In any case, my opinions about the accuracy of the events as they were portrayed in the book aside, if the CBS All Access production does focus more heavily on Sega then that would be keeping with the book which also focused more heavily on Sega's activities.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah its based on the book which mainly focuses on the rise of Sega against Nintendo.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Haven’t seen it, but have read the book. It might be good, but a part of me is real sad this is just a 90 min documentary. Would have been a great series.