Are Game Reviews Necessary?

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By ErgoProxy77
Recently, I thought about whether game reviews were really necessary to me.  By thinking logically, I came to the conclusion that video game reviews are potentially unnecessary.  So, let me explain.

When someone plays a video game, they  judge it based on their experience.  This judgement is based on the elements of the game that appeal to the player.  Things like art style, gameplay, story, graphics, and overall fun level are things the player may consider when deciding if they like the game or not.  A player may even find that he or she likes a game despite technical issues and glitches.  So, let's say I really like game X.  What if that game X was given a 1 out of 5 review score by most reviewers?  Does this mean I am wrong, and that game X is factually a bad game?  No.  Game X is neither good nor bad.  It is just game X and nothing more.  A video game is never factually good or bad, because determining if a game is good or bad requires judgement, and judgment strictly comes from the individual.  Therefore, they only way one can discern whether a game is good or bad is to play it.  The individual cannot rely on the judgments of another because it will never be true in their sense.  What is true for one may not be true for another.  So, if you say game X is bad, that is your own judgement, which will never be universal.  

I think game reviews should focus more on showcasing the different aspects of games.  Give a brief overview of the story, show what the art style is like, describe the general gameplay, but don't judge it, because that is for the individual to decide.  I am sick of people arguing on forums about how a game is good because it got great reviews and you are wrong if you think it's bad and vice versa.  Different games will appeal to different people.  Some games may appeal to everyone, and others may appeal to nobody.  I ask that people take review scores with a grain of salt.  I'm not saying reviews should be discontinued, because some people like getting another perspective.  That's all they are.  Another perspective, no more, no less.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

I am going to copy/paste my reply on a similar topic elswhere.  In essence though,we think the same and I agree with you.  I could care less about opinions, I want real information for me to be  the judge of.

copy/paste:
I read the summary on Metacritic.  In fact, I read most, but in particular, I read a few of the best, a few of the mid range and a the few worst.  I get a feel from those comments.  I am looking for technical issues and opinions interest me little.  Sometimes you wonder if they are playing the same game.

I will try a case study to make my point with one game (I left scores and game name out deliberately, as well as slight editing to remove identification):
IGN
While the game does not turn the genre upside-down, it is innovative in certain areas -- for example, it features the most customizable, precise and enjoyable controls of any console shooter created, hands down. 
Sounds good.  I get the feeling that it plays well from this.

Giant Bomb
If you're just comparing it to other action games it does some interesting things with its control and with its multiplayer modes. But other aspects, like the poor story, bland design, and awful voice acting, would be just as bad on any platform. It's that stuff that drags it down into an area where it's tough to recommend without providing a boatload of caveats. 
Sounds terrible.  Clearly a waste of money.

I say again - did they play the same game?  Opinions are worthless.

I could do this over and over with many games and review sites.  Why do we care what they say?  I am just looking for clues as to what may add or detract from enjoyment of the game.  If one review stands out as worth reading more, I will click on the link.  That choice isn't limited to the best or worst review summaries, however, if a review score is way out of the average, high or low, I will assume the reviewer is a douche and not worth my time to read further.  When I get to the whole review, I read the first and last paragraphs and skim the middle, looking for key words that I am looking for.

So, generally no then.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sprizmo
@ErgoProxy77: In my experience, being a gamer since 1981 and having played hundreds of games and read reviews on quite a few of them, I have to say that more often than not those reviews are accurate. Sure I've ignored reviews in the past because I really wanted a game to be good, but in reality, technical flaws are technical flaws, annoying sound and mundane plots are just that, and thank god I have various people researching a product that I would potentially be spending hard earned cash on. In my opinion, reviews are very helpful.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

Some things are just facts, and I've found sites like Giantbomb and Gametrailers to be very reliable.  There's no way I will spend $60+ to play games only to find out half of them are no good, that's up to the reviewers.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Nasar7
@ErgoProxy77: This is why I love Quick Looks so much. Otherwise, reviews can be helpful but I wish the grading system, of every kind (Out of 5/10/100, Grade scale), would go away. 
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By asurastrike

I think Quicklooks are much more useful than reviews.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I think you're thinking too philosophically. Game reviews are pretty useful to a lot of people because generally the people who review them have a relatively good taste for what makes a game good or bad.Therefore the general audience can get  a basic sense of weather or not they want that game. But many people may just have a huge bias for a game or company. Like with Brutal Legend, people could be giving it 1 star and I'd still be waking up early to get. But game reviews are not useful all the time but for many people on the fence they are quite useful.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

*sigh*

Opinion =/= fact. It's really not that complicated.

Also: IGN Nintendo is just a group of rabid Nintendo Fanboys. The rest of IGN's 'aight, though.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By asurastrike

At the very least the 10 point scale needs to be gotten rid of. Almost every game gets a 6 or above, so why not just make it a 5 point scale?

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ErgoProxy77
@TimAllen624 said:
" I think you're thinking too philosophically. Game reviews are pretty useful to a lot of people because generally the people who review them have a relatively good taste for what makes a game good or bad.Therefore the general audience can get  a basic sense of weather or not they want that game. But many people may just have a huge bias for a game or company. Like with Brutal Legend, people could be giving it 1 star and I'd still be waking up early to get. But game reviews are not useful all the time but for many people on the fence they are quite useful. "
You may think that reviewers generally have good taste, but others may not.  I don't think there is such a thing as good taste or bad taste.  There is simply just "taste".  Everyone has their own taste.  You say people may have "huge bias".  Everyone has a bias and nobody is without one.  Everyone has their own individual opinions.  As for thinking philosophically, yes, but logic too.  Reviews are helpful, but the score part is not helpful should not be treated like an irrefutable fact.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive

i actually think a 4 star (9 point if you include 1/2 and 0 ) rating is ideal for games. 

4 is GREAT!
3 1/2 is good
3 is above average
2 1/2 is average
2 is below average
1/2 is borderline crap
1 is crap

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By TheMasterDS

This is just because I'm mad in this respect, but I think a seven point scale, where a 5/7 is equal to a 5/5 in a five point scale, would be the way to go, where 6/7s are only the best of the best, and 7/7 is reserved for the best game ever made. Of course you could argue breaking it up into half points would make a 5 point scale twice as effective, but then it's really a 10 point scale in disguise, isn't it?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The key with reveiws, is to get to know the reviewers. After plenty of bombcast listening and website reading, I've got a very good idea about the gaming tastes of Jeff, Brad, Ryan, Vinny and to some extent Dave. So when I read a review from them, I can filter it through their gaming tastes, and apply that to my gaming tastes, and come up with a fairly good conclusion about whether or not I will enjoy it. Just reading random reviews on the internet are fairly pointless, except for some facts that can be extracted from the review, but the opinionated parts of the review are pointless. But reading reviews from reviewers you know can be extremely useful.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain

I don't care about peoples opinions beyond the fact that if someone I generally agree with says the game is good, I will probably like it. The reason I think they are absolutely necessary is because I want to hear about things like game breaking bugs, online lag, annoying OSK bosses, shitty controls, etc etc. If I can get that info from someone who has a similar taste in games as me then all the better.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#15  Edited By EpicSteve
@ErgoProxy77 said:
" Recently, I thought about whether game reviews were really necessary to me.  By thinking logically, I came to the conclusion that video game reviews are potentially unnecessary.  So, let me explain.

When someone plays a video game, they  judge it based on their experience.  This judgement is based on the elements of the game that appeal to the player.  Things like art style, gameplay, story, graphics, and overall fun level are things the player may consider when deciding if they like the game or not.  
Let me stop you right there. Reviews are supposed to reach you 
before-you purchase the game, not give you an opinion to support/disapprove your already made decision. They're supposed to be tools to guide purchasing decisions. You're looking a tad too deep into this subject. No journalist is (hopefully) giving a "final opinion, no one else is right" review. They're just professionals who play a lot of games, therefore can typically do a good job on rating tiles. The key is (like MattyFTM already stated) get to know the reviewer. And what oldschool is saying up there is kinda weird because journalists aren't always going to have the sam opinion. 
dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By dudacles

Reviews are not necessary, they're just enjoyable to read to me.  I like hearing other people's opinions on games and movies.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By flaminghobo

Reviews allow for opinions to be heard, whether they be professional or from the consumer experience. It helps other people who are thinking about purchasing any item such as games, films, mugs etc. As it gives them a hands-on experience from another consumer of the product. No, they're not necessary, they are just something that a consumer can use to help decide on whether they should buy, rent, or not buy a product. People are free to ignore reviews and just go head first and they might buy a truely epic game or a bad game.

The fact people use other peoples reviews to backup their own opinion is fairly weak, if they use their own review that they have constructed aptly that's fine as it is there own opinion they are broadcasting. However this is not to say that opinion equals fact because it doesn't, we are all entitled to our opinions and reviews allow us to broadcast it.

Zanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Zanda

No there not necessary, but technically nothing is.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GunnBjorn

Well, i think game reviews certainly aren't necessary...
To me they're simply a guide whether or not a game is any good.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By donwoogie
@ErgoProxy77: So really, you are just saying is "Are Game Reviews SCORES Necessary?"  At which point I then tell you to use review sites that do not use this, but rather just produce a list of points about what works well in the game and what doesn't.  Or, use sites liek Gametrailers that produce a breakdown of the game into different categories, like story, gameply and presentation.  You may not find these reviews helpful, but a lot of people out there do since it gives a good indication of which games to get and which to ignore.  Another key, is finding a reviewer whose opinion you actually have faith in.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By penguindust

I believe reviews are necessary because few people have the time to try out every game or are willing to take a chance at buying something they will be ultimately disappointed in (hence all the sequels - but that's another topic.)  Once a review gets past the technical issues, there are the impressions a critic has for a title.  Maybe they liked it, maybe they didn't so how does this apply to the consumer?  It is vital for any gamer who uses reviews as an aid in making their purchasing decisions to have a relationship with the critic.  If you are just reading random reviews found on any of the big sites or watching X-Play and have no idea about the tastes of person who wrote the review then it's about as useful as asking a monk who's been cloistered away in a monastery for twenty years should you buy this game.  Most of us listen to the opinions of others we trust in other things we experience.  Maybe a friend says "see this movie" or "try the veal."  We then, knowing our own tastes, incorporate that recommendation into our past experience with that person's suggestions and make a decision.  We shouldn't rely entirely on the picks and pans of any review, but if we have read much from a particular critic, we can use their assessment to help us decide if the is risk (money & time spent) is worth the reward.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By slinky6

Very few things in most of our lives ARE necessary.   As to whether or not they're useful: fuck yes they are.    A reviewer presents the facts about a game, then presents their opinion of those facts and finally gives it a score relative to all other games.   Without this we'd rely on word of mouth or chance to pick which games to play.   Ultimately a reviewer is giving us his opinion, yes, but it's an opinion that's well formulated and clearly laid out (if it's a good review).    Your friend could tell you "this game is awesome," but rarely he'll be able to tell you all the reasons why in a concise manner.   That is what reviews accomplish.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ErgoProxy77
@EpicSteve: Reviews should be more about the game and less about the reviewer's opinion of the game.  This way, you could more easily decide whether you want to buy it or not.  
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#24  Edited By EpicSteve
@ErgoProxy77 said:
" @EpicSteve: Reviews should be more about the game and less about the reviewer's opinion of the game.  This way, you could more easily decide whether you want to buy it or not.   "
If you're looking for straight-up information. Than previews, forums, and quick looks, as well as Giantbomb's wiki. Reviews also inform what the game presents as well as on opinion. Some people like yourself don't care about reviews, and that's cool. But information is everywhere, and reviews aren't meant to serve that purpose. The process isn't perfected and every outlet has a different style.