Are the games today the games you thought you play years ago?

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By RobotHamster

We're in the year 2010 now and back then we thought we'd have flying cars and jetpacks by now, but what about video games.   What I mean is are the games that come out these days the games you thought you'd play and see years ago like in the 90's or earlier. Do the graphics, gameplay, and IP's live up to your expectations or don't they, what were your expectations?    

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Fudgeblood

To be honest, I can't remember what I thought games would be like back then.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By buzz_clik

I constantly find myself wondering what my younger, C64-loving self would say if I went back in time and showed him footage of what we play now. I think he'd just gawp silently and piss his/my pants.

Honestly, at the time of the 16 bit era, I didn't think graphics were going to get any better. 0/100 for vision there.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Coombs

@RobotHamster said:

Do the graphics, gameplay, and IP's live up to your expectations or don't they, what were your expectations?     "

Graphics - Smoother & more realistic and Now we have voice acting
Pretty much what I was expecting

Gameplay - Nothing really huge has changed
New concepts and ways of going about things, But it's pretty much the same kinds of gameplay changes you could see going from the NES to the SNES.   So, Yes?

IP's: Are you talking Intellectual Property?  or ISP?
either way,  IP is just a bowl of punch that everyone takes a cup from, Every now and then somebody gets a fresh idea and tops it up, Then the others dip back in.  It's been the same forever.
& ISP's Well they have gotten WAY faster and in doing so have allowed for some amazing gaming features,
The gaming industry would be a far different place if not for Real Time Online Gaming

And though it went generally where I would have expected it to go
This
@buzz_clik said:
"....if I went back in time and showed him footage of what we play now. I think he'd just gawp silently and piss his/my pants. "
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By fuzzyponken

No. That whole 90's vibe where no one really knew what the fuck they were talking about regarding computers and video games messed me up bad. Movies and media portrayed it so incredibly strange. I suppose they were looking for a way to make computers exciting. Virtual reality seemed to be the way things were going, anyway. I didn't consider online gaming and just assumed we'd all be going to arcades and blast the shit out of each other with cool futuristic VR helmets in virtual worlds, like in the movies. 

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By jimi

Yeah. They made Street Fighter 3D. Nuff' said.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I believe gaming today has totally exceeded my expectations.  The quality & the market is massive & a lot of talent has moved into it & produced a multi-billion dollar industry.  There is a game out there for everyone to enjoy from age 5 to 90, for every man, woman, & child.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

No actually. In terms of Graphics, yes. I mean Look at Farcry 2, Crysis and Uncharted 2 and realism is definitely getting there.  

But, I'm still dumbfounded by how stupid AI in games still is. It's unbelievable that AI has yet to improve in a way that feels next-gen for me. For lack of wanting to type out a long paragraph, I'll just use FPS's as my example. I hate that harder difficulties just have the enemies do more damage and have pinpoint accuracy. I want them to out flank me, out manuever me and so on.  

That's what I thought the "next-gen" was going to have was better AI, but alas we are still very stuck in the mundane . I was hoping by now that some games could have rectified this.
zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By zero_

Hell no, if you asked me 6 years ago what I'd be playing, I would've said Final Fantasy and all kinds of crazy JRPGs. Now I can't stand them, they just eat too much time!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

Around 1989 I envisioned future games looking like a deluxe version of that Money For Nothing music video.  Individual grains of grass represented by green flat shaded pyramids of polygons.

I guess by around 1993-ish I realized that the future of games would be different than that, but I never felt I had a really certain idea of what the future would hold.  More than anything however, I predicted the games of those times to just keep getting better.  I would have imagined a perfectly realistic Star Wars combat game that played like Tie Fighter by now.  I would have imagined JRPGs similar to Chrono Trigger but even more massive in scope and depth, with the graphics of modern games.  I would have imagined FPS that played as well as Doom but photoreal.

Realistically I'm not too far off, but the infinite horizon of the 90's has vanished.  Now I just hope the games I enjoy to turn some kind of profit.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By wrecks

in comparison from where I started,  with games like Gorf at local rural gas n'sip and the 2600... Gaming now is insane. No, I had no fucking idea.   

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

nintendo ruined everything

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By armaan8014

I was too small to think then..I could only play stuff.. Infact, I never had the thought that games would become progress!
Never thought there would be much except my fav excite bike and contras ..
But I have to say im more than REALLY happy how games have developed over the past few years.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By taccyp
@Bobby_The_Great: I have to agree, AI is still pretty dumb in nearly every game.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Fudgeblood said:
" To be honest, I can't remember what I thought games would be like back then. "
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By MeierTheRed

Hell no, i remember when 3D games started coming out and i hated them. They looked like... well ass pretty much, i didn't even except 3D to take over like it did. But now i'm very glad that it happened, we just had to suffer though a period with really shitty looking games, but i payed off in the long run.