• 120 results
#51 Posted by BigSocrates (1966 posts) -

Everyone saying Shadow of Mordor was the game they couldn't get into made me finally try Shadow of Mordor, which I've had for a long time.

After a few hours I can say...I like it I guess but I see why people couldn't get into it. Also forced stealth sections can go to hell.

Don't really understand how this was Giant Bomb's 2014 game of the year though. Mario Kart 8 is better. Sunset Overdrive is better. I feel confident that Shovel Knight is better (though I haven't played it.)

Shadow of Mordor has the nemesis system, but so far that has mostly amounted to captains I've defeated showing up in beefed up form after I've finished a mission and killing me. It also has an ugly, not very interesting map, a combat system that often ends up with you swarmed, forced stealth sections, and a dour unpleasant atmosphere.

I will probably keep playing it, but I'm totally unsurprised that others don't dig it.

#52 Posted by lun49gameon (268 posts) -

I tried getting into jrpg's for a long time. I was specifically curious about the Final Fantasy games. I remember i played ff 4 or 5 on my ios device which was probably a bad way to play it. I bought final fantasy 7 on pc and only played 1 hour of it and i bought ff9 on the vita. I thought this was a series i was never going to fully enjoy but then i bought ff 10 hd on the vita and played like 80 hours of it and had tons of fun.

I will say that games that I really wanna have fun with and i always get bored with are the grand strategy games. I bought Europa Universalis during a steam sale and already knew what i was getting myself into. I tried to surround myself with lots of video tutorials and after playing for 4 hours i still didnt know what i was doing. Ill probably give it another try in the near future.

#53 Edited by lun49gameon (268 posts) -

@monkeyking1969: The first witcher game was really hard to get into for me because it was not as polished as the next two. The Witcher 2 and 3 i really liked for the story, game world and characters. Some people say that the combat is bad and i think its not good or bad but just average. The potion stuff and oils add a little bit of fun to it. For me i got like halfway through each of those games and then took a 2 month break. When i came back to them i felt refreshed and still had fun.

#54 Posted by clagnaught (2124 posts) -

Half-Life and Half-Life 2. I think those games have aged horribly and they are wrapped with things I think are just not fun or bother me in some way. At I certain point, I sorted all of the Half-Life stuff I have in Steam under my bad games folder.

#55 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (4435 posts) -

@toysoldier83: yeah, the beginning of life os strange is kind of a slow start. Definitely picks up though soon after that. That beginning of Ep1 where you're in the school yard with option to talk to so many people feels very arbitrary.

#56 Posted by Christoffer (2374 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma for me. I think I've started a new character 5-6 times with very good intentions of finishing the damn game. I rush through the early game. I finish a few Wyrm Hunt mission, if not all. I try my hardest to engage in the story for a couple more hours. And then I take a look at my Quest Log and my over stuffed inventory, shakes my head and give up.

#57 Posted by PeezMachine (462 posts) -

Every now and then I'll see someone gush about Grim Dawn and give it another shot, but I'm lucky if I make it an hour. Turns out I do NOT care for that game.

#58 Edited by JJBSterling (585 posts) -

I've started and stopped Resident Evil 4 I think twice now. I'm not sure if it's me or the recent PC version but something just isn't clicking for me. I really would like to play it, though.

#59 Posted by glots (4336 posts) -

I think I've learned my lesson by now, but I have tried Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2 and Demon's Souls. I just don't have the patience nor the skill for these games, no matter how much I like the style of them. I doubt I'll try any FROM game ever again.

#60 Posted by pompouspizza (1563 posts) -

@bobobones: I'm currently having this problem. I have no idea why because I recognise that it's really good but I don't have much desire to go back to it.

I'm about 15 hours in so I'll keep going slowly and eventually finish it I guess.

#61 Edited by JohnTunoku (418 posts) -

Persona 2: Innocent Sin+EP. I'm into retro rpgs and love the persona games, just can't seem to keep interested enough to keep going with it. I also lost my save 3 times.

The Witcher 2/3. I just find controlling these games to be a wholly unpleasant experience. I love dark fantasy and Bioware/Obsidian games so I really want to play them, but it just isn't fun for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
#62 Posted by deactivated-5a0917a2494ce (1350 posts) -

Every GTA game. I get between 5 and 15 hours in and then just stop playing. Generally it's because the controls are terrible and it takes forever to get anywhere.

#63 Posted by FrodoBaggins (2066 posts) -

Boulders Gate 2. Haven't actually tired to play it in years because I have no pc, but I must have started that game about 6 or 7 times back in the day. I loved so much about it, the party and class system, the dialogue, the characters the quests but I knew next to nothing about 2nd edition dnd so trying to play it just resulted in me dying very often.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#64 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7837 posts) -

Diablo 3. Weird, cause I like those kinds of games. It just won't click with me.

#65 Posted by konig_kei (1028 posts) -

I finished Bioshock but for me that game was.

1. Walk forward.
  2. Hit with wrench.
  3. Die.
  4. Repeat.

There was so much time (real world) between me starting and finishing the game that the twist for me was "Oh, what's going on? Why would I not want to hit you? Who are you?"

#66 Edited by soulcake (2789 posts) -

Invisible inc. and trying to finish Yakuza zero and persona 5. I most of the time turn off my ps 4 after playing like half a hour. I buy way to many games and get bored after like a hour or so it's a "real" problem i got with just being able to buy most games and not really caring compared to completing a game 100% when you where 12 cause you only get two games a year. Last game i finished was Prey it seemed to be "interesting" enough to hold my attention for a few hours.

#67 Posted by Dussck (1053 posts) -

Final Fantasy. I gave about 5 of them a shot I think and never even come close to finish any of them. :(

#68 Posted by Panfoot (330 posts) -

STALKER: Clear Sky, but that's because the game didn't want me to finish it. At first it was a game breaking story mission bug after about 3 or 4 issues in, which lead me to having to start all over again. Then it was crashes every so often, which eventually lead to getting blue screens after getting to the second area of the game. At that point I just moved on, though Call of Pripyat actually worked totally fine for me and I finished it.

#69 Posted by _Brojangles_ (136 posts) -

Skyrim.

After my initial 50 hour playthrough, I wanted to start fresh with all the bug fixing patches in place, but every time I try to play it, a better game catches my attention or I get frustrated with the game's many flaws.

#70 Posted by ATastySlurpee (671 posts) -

XCOM 2. I've tried several times to play this. I LOVED XCOM: EU & EW, but I just don't like XCOM 2. Taking Overwatch away by implementing the overbearing 'timed' missions and its punishingly difficult even on Normal.

#71 Posted by xanadu (2045 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII. Started playing it on 360, got about 30ish hours in, hard drive broke. Decided to replay it after years of sitting on the shelf, pretty much got to the same exact spot and just sort of stopped and never returned. I bought it on steam relatively recently, ran like dog shit on my old processor but still put in about 20 hours. Upgraded my PC earlier last year and sometimes I'll install it and chip away at it some more (thank god for cloud saves). I REALLY like this games combat but holy shit does it just seem like its never going to end and that I will constantly be "in the midst of playing through FFXIII" for the rest of my life.

#72 Posted by TheWildCard (695 posts) -

Witcher III. Not that it's a bad game, I can totally see how this would be the best game ever for certain people, but I couldn't find any hooks for me.

Xenoblade Chronicles. Gave it several sessions, but nothing stood out as interesting, though admittingly I didn't have a good grasp of the battle system (might have accidently skipped a tutorial I shouldn't of?)

#73 Edited by citan359 (44 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Exact same thing with me! I always get to the end of the water craft part and just hard stop. Basically that's as far as I can make it in a sitting and once I save and walk away the game is just 100% cleared from my mind. Same with HL1 as well. I am a pretty big Valve fanboy in general too.

#74 Edited by BaneFireLord (3568 posts) -

Morrowind, but not for lack of trying. The poor thing just keeps crashing on every modern operating system I've tried it on post-Windows 7. I played it fairly extensively on Windows XP a long time ago, but as a gaming naif back then I never managed to make any real progress. Since BGS is far and away my favorite studio I've always wanted to go back to it since it's so highly regarded by the community, but alas it seems it shall never come to pass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
#75 Posted by deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1 (1777 posts) -

Life

#76 Posted by Cheetoman (525 posts) -

@frostyryan: Final fantasy 13 takes 30 hours to apparently get good. So you are in the clear.

#77 Posted by BoboBones (266 posts) -

@pompouspizza: I was beginning to think I was the only one. Just really don't like being in that world. From a gameplay perspective it feels like all of the pieces for the "perfect" game are there, but as I play more I have only developed less drive to finish. Sure is pretty to look at, though.

#78 Edited by WheresDerrick (326 posts) -

Breath of the Wild, I just don't understand the praise.

I also haven't been able to complete Human Revolution and Mankind Divided; I enjoy them when I try to restart and play them, but then something happens for some reason or another that I stop midway through and then don't get back to until half a year later and I want to restart, rinse repeat.

Also anyone dogging on Shadow of Mordor haven't leveled up enough and/or haven't gotten to the second island where you get some more really fantastic powers, specifically being able to brand Uruks. That's when the game became fantastic to me

#79 Edited by mrroach (237 posts) -

@onemanarmyy said:

I started new vegas 4 times before i managed to get past the first few hours. I even bought it on PS3 & PC :D

Same here. Have still not managed to get more than a couple hours in. Every time I try, the incredibly slow movement speed just kills me, and the story and quests just feel so generic video gamey that I just can't.

Another one that is probably going to end up in my "nope" list on steam is Nier Automata. I have done the first playthrough, which I kind of had to force myself to get through the last few hours of, and doing the whole thing again doesn't hold a lot of appeal.

It doesn't help that I'm pushing through to see the great story everyone is going on about, but the first ending did less than nothing for me. Like, to the point where I don't actually know if I was supposed to have cared at all about what happened, or if the complete lack of impact it had on me is intentional and recontextualized somehow later on.

#80 Posted by GrizzlyButts (113 posts) -

Final Fantasy X, I've almost fully beaten it over the course of 10 years. Anytime a cut-scene starts I turn it off and put it down for up to a full year. I even restarted it on the PS3 for the HD remaster and made it to the battle with sin's parts (wings and all that), hadn't grinded out enough levels and I wasn't interested enough to keep going. Its the one FF that I just can't seem to finish.

Far Cry 4, loved FC3 but the invisible walls make it a very frustrating experience early on.

Vagrant Story, dunno why but I've tried to play this game many times but the camera/controls ruin it for me. Don't know how I made it through stuff like Parasite Eve and Koudelka but somehow can't dig VS.

Most recently: The Surge, I'm a big fan of these types of games I mean I platinumed Nioh, all three Dark Souls and beat Lords of the Fallen. It feels like half a game with no bosses and four main enemy types, in a factory.

#81 Posted by mattclassic (510 posts) -

Deus Ex Human Revolution. I've started over from the beginning 4 times and I don't think I've made it to the second boss fight more than once.

#82 Posted by MeMonk (323 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma it seems like a game I would like but I can't get into it. I have tried starting it like 4 times.

#83 Posted by GundamGuru (786 posts) -
@mrroach said:

Another one that is probably going to end up in my "nope" list on steam is Nier Automata. I have done the first playthrough, which I kind of had to force myself to get through the last few hours of, and doing the whole thing again doesn't hold a lot of appeal.

It doesn't help that I'm pushing through to see the great story everyone is going on about, but the first ending did less than nothing for me. Like, to the point where I don't actually know if I was supposed to have cared at all about what happened, or if the complete lack of impact it had on me is intentional and recontextualized somehow later on.

Having just seen that ending myself, I'm pretty confident it wasn't supposed to be particularly meaningful yet. Automata strikes me as being structured like some visual novels I've played, where you don't really have the whole picture till you've seen all the major scenes and endings. Even 'ending' is kind of a bad word for it, it's really just different paths through the game. That kind of storytelling won't be for everyone, I suspect.

#84 Edited by Teddie (2146 posts) -

@freedom4556 said:
@mrroach said:

Having just seen that ending myself, I'm pretty confident it wasn't supposed to be particularly meaningful yet. Automata strikes me as being structured like some visual novels I've played, where you don't really have the whole picture till you've seen all the major scenes and endings. Even 'ending' is kind of a bad word for it, it's really just different paths through the game. That kind of storytelling won't be for everyone, I suspect.

The impact of that scene is definitely something that is recontextualized later.

Also, keep in mind you're not doing the whole thing again. There's a split about 2/3rds through the game where 9S wasn't around much anymore, and that's all new stuff for the 2nd playthrough. You can also get through the repeated content in a couple hours.

Absolutely don't force yourself through it though. The late game is very unique and it was personally effecting in a way only a game can be, but if nothing until that point resonates with you it will not make up for that. And I say that with it being my favourite game in years.

#85 Edited by nicksmi56 (841 posts) -

The Pokemon series in general. I've been trying to beat one of those since I was a kid, but whether it's the game cartridge getting lost (Ruby, lost it in an airport), a save file mysteriously vanishing (FireRed), or me simply getting bored because I can only battle with nothing else to do for so long (Emerald, Diamond, White, Black 2, Y), I can never manage to finish the journey.

It annoys the crap out of my girlfriend, who's a Pokemon nut XD

#86 Posted by NTM (11827 posts) -

@guitargod: Yep, as said that was the last thing you do in the game aside from some walking around and getting fed story. It's also the thing that is maybe the most important part of the game. If you don't know what it is, I won't spoil it, but you should probably just finish it since directly after you get a nice surprise.

#87 Posted by steevl (545 posts) -

Metroid Prime 2. I've started it three separate times, now, but something always manages to distract me from playing it further. And I absolutely loved the original Metroid Prime, and I also skipped ahead to Metroid Prime 3 and enjoyed it too.

I've also started Final Fantasy 6 a few times before stopping. I believe the first time I played, I made it all the way to the World of Ruin. I was playing it on the SNES (as Final Fantasy III), but for some reason, despite playing it that far, it felt like it never grabbed me. It was weird, because I loved the previous two Final Fantasy games I had played. I had no trouble with FF7 or 8. One day I'll go back and play through FF6 properly. Maybe!

I've also had the damndest time with Yakuza 2. I started playing it about 7 years ago and stopped around chapter 7. I picked up where I left off and slowly got the hang of it again, but I was having a hard time with the combat and eventually I just gave up and shelved it. Not sure if I'll go back to that one.

#88 Edited by NTM (11827 posts) -

The most recent is Mafia 3. It's just too repetitive with a handful of minor glitches and at least one major. The one thing that's lauded: the story, doesn't grab my attention, unfortunately. It's the game I have put on and taken off the PS4 about five times now. The gameplay is competent (as in, shooting dudes, walking around and driving), the visuals are fine and the radio music is pretty good, though even that has issues since there's a real lack of stations (though maybe that's realistic?) I feel like the racial tension and that atmosphere takes a back seat to just running around shooting gangs. I wish I could see the story through on my own, but it just gets boring.

Another is Fable 3. I like it quite a bit, but keep stopping somewhere along the line to play something else. Originally, it was because I had just gone through Anniversary and Fable 2, so I had enough of Fable at the time. I thought that I didn't need a whole other, long adventure of Fable at the time. Then, I went ahead and played through all the Souls games and a bunch of other large games, when I could have been finished with Fable 3 long before. I started it again a couple of months ago and got farther than I ever had, and quit again because I wanted to play something else. The talk of the game going in a weird direction later in the game also put me off, though I don't really know what that means.

I may not finish Mafia 3, I'm okay with that actually, but I want to finish Fable 3 because I do like it. I started Fable 3 before Lionhead closed down, so when that was announced and the fate of a real Fable sequel coming about not seeming good, it lessened my want to finish three even more, but hey I hear it's possible for another to happen.

#89 Posted by LawGamer (1481 posts) -

Recent Civilizations. I played the hell out of Civ 4, and then 5-6 I keep trying and just falling off. I don't know what it is, I like strategy games, I loved the hell out of 4, but something just feels lacking. Like its too polished or something.

Maybe it's no Nemoy.

#90 Posted by Puchiko (847 posts) -

I've tried at least 4 times and wanted to play Resonance of Fate but the combat system makes absolutely no sense. The in-game tutorial is puppy and watching youtube videos trying to explain it didn't help. Its a shame cause I like the aesthetic and character design.

#91 Posted by unknownczar (15 posts) -

@facelessvixen: I've been trying to get into Witcher 2 for like 4 years. I loved the Witcher and played through it back in the day, but I can't get out of the first city in Witcher 2. I want to finish it before I get into 3, but it's been so frustrating...

#92 Posted by catoasapun (79 posts) -

@facelessvixen: I've been trying to get into Witcher 2 for like 4 years. I loved the Witcher and played through it back in the day, but I can't get out of the first city in Witcher 2. I want to finish it before I get into 3, but it's been so frustrating...

If you're putting off 3 just to finish 2 first I would recommend just skipping to 3. It has a self-contained story with only a few little moments that call back to the previous games (and some characters from the books) and the game gives you much more incentive to keep playing since it's far more open. I liked 2 a lot but it took me about 2 years to get through it because it was much too linear for me and the story wasn't enough to pull me in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
#93 Posted by deactivated-5a48350594a61 (84 posts) -

The Witcher 3 is a game I've made multiple attempts to play and enjoy. Cant go 5min without being put to sleep by Geralts ecstatic personality, turns out it really just isn't for me.

#94 Edited by Jaalmo (1749 posts) -

Skyrim. I just can't get into that game. I love Fallout but when it comes to Elder Scrolls, it just doesn't hit the same for me.

Avatar image for thievingsince95
#95 Posted by thievingsince95 (17 posts) -

Skyrim is one. Witcher 3 was that way for a while for me but then I finally got over the hump on that game. The one that killed me for so long was The Last of Us. Like the story is incredible, but man playing that game is a drag, and it would lose me anytime I'd get stuck (I was playing on a medium/high difficulty). Finally I said fuck it and put the thing on easy to power through for the story.

#96 Edited by Ericjasonwade (377 posts) -

Dying Light

I've played the first 5 hours 4 times now. Will probably do it again.

Good game, I would just rather play anything else on my backlog.

#97 Edited by catoasapun (79 posts) -

Dying Light

I've played the first 5 hours 4 times now. Will probably do it again.

Good game, I would just rather play anything else on my backlog.

that game is definitely more fun with a friend. i probably would have never finished it if i hadn't been doing the co op.

#98 Edited by Shadow (5356 posts) -

Dishonored. I've started that thing at least 5 times now, on 2 different consoles

#99 Edited by Asmo917 (831 posts) -

Exact same thing here.

@shadow said:

Dishonored. I've started that thing at least 5 times now, on 2 different consoles

#100 Edited by Humanity (18801 posts) -

@puchiko: It's pretty basic really! There is a line linking each party member and when a third party member crosses that line you get resonance points. You can then do a resonance attack where they all run, like in baseball, in a circle and unload into an enemy. Apart from that there is physical and scratch damage which seems pretty easy to grasp - SMG's do a lot of scratch damage, or "freeze" part of the lifebar that regular guns then "shatter" if that makes more sense.

It's all about running in triangles to accumulate those resonance points!