Are there any games that you keep trying to play and it just NEVER works out?

• 120 results
#101 Posted by Dichemstys (3928 posts) -

Every time I start The Witcher 3 I get to a certain point, completely forget what I was supposed to be doing and have to restart.

#102 Posted by conwayok (4 posts) -

Too many to name that end up frustrating, where is the game that's gonna be "No 1"!?

#103 Posted by TheCycloneWolf (20 posts) -

I tried my best to get into Tekken 7. It has great production values and unique characters and looks fun as heck but it's everything I hate about fighting games in one package. I've played probably 10 hours and uninstalled it twice.

#104 Posted by Arjailer (146 posts) -

I've only tried it once so far, but Watch Dogs 2 lost me after about 3 hours. Started replaying Wolfenstein New Order instead - will try WD2 again once that's finished.

#105 Posted by superprohero (62 posts) -

uncharted 4 compared to its predecessor is one big joke( at least that's my opinion) i am so disappointed that I can't even express my disappointment in words, when you think about uncharted you think about fast paced action shooter with crazy set pieces but uncharted 4 is totally different it is slow paced climbing simulator with endless cutscenes seriously uncharted 4 shouldn't even be considered a game, after chapter 19 i was like i just cant take this Bullshit anymore and i doubt that i will give it another chance.

#106 Posted by BigSocrates (1966 posts) -

uncharted 4 compared to its predecessor is one big joke( at least that's my opinion) i am so disappointed that I can't even express my disappointment in words, when you think about uncharted you think about fast paced action shooter with crazy set pieces but uncharted 4 is totally different it is slow paced climbing simulator with endless cutscenes seriously uncharted 4 shouldn't even be considered a game, after chapter 19 i was like i just cant take this Bullshit anymore and i doubt that i will give it another chance.

Uhhh...I kind of get what you're saying here, but I don't really agree. I actually played Uncharted 3 back to back with Uncharted 4 so I had a very clear memory of that game while I was going through 4, and 3 (and the other games) definitely had its slower moments. The part after you get into the mansion for example. Or when you're wandering around in the desert. The Uncharted games have also famously always had a lot of cut-scenes. I will agree that Uncharted 4 has more of these points and more focus on conversation, along with the semi-open world environments in Madagascar and the archipelago. It also has more deliberate climbing (though there's more actual GAMEPLAY in the climbing sections too.) But it's just a slightly different balance, not a different style of game.

The biggest difference, I think, is that 4 is longer than the others, and outstays its welcome a little bit.

#107 Posted by None_Braver (316 posts) -

I've had Beyond Two Souls since it came out. Still haven't played it.

#108 Posted by superprohero (62 posts) -

Uhhh...I kind of get what you're saying here, but I don't really agree. I actually played Uncharted 3 back to back with Uncharted 4 so I had a very clear memory of that game while I was going through 4, and 3 (and the other games) definitely had its slower moments. The part after you get into the mansion for example. Or when you're wandering around in the desert. The Uncharted games have also famously always had a lot of cut-scenes. I will agree that Uncharted 4 has more of these points and more focus on conversation, along with the semi-open world environments in Madagascar and the archipelago. It also has more deliberate climbing (though there's more actual GAMEPLAY in the climbing sections too.) But it's just a slightly different balance, not a different style of game.

The biggest difference, I think, is that 4 is longer than the others, and outstays its welcome a little bit.

I respect your opinion but for me uncharted 4 was one big mess and yes other games definitely had there slow moments like desert or snow mountain but those moment only occurred after some serious chapters those moments were little resting time for players (also that desert moment only lasted for 2 to 3 minutes), where uncharted 4 started slow and consistently stayed slow, uncharted 4 starting was super boring till chapter 9 with basically no action, then after that island came on chapter 12 which bought us endless climbing, then on chapter 14 more climbing after that more climbing and more climbing.

Uncharted 1 to 3 barely had any climbing or cut-scenes compared to uncharted 4, let me use percentage to describe uncharted games in terms of their content

Uncharted 1

72% action

18% cut-scenes

10% climbing

Uncharted 2

66% action

20% cut-scenes

14% climbing

Uncharted 3

66% action

20% cut-scenes

14% climbing

Uncharted 4

25% action

30% cut-scenes

45% climbing

#109 Posted by Aarny91 (3961 posts) -

I've always wanted to like the Arkham games more than I do. Beat Asylum and recently gave up on City halfway through. Just ain't for me.

#110 Posted by impartialgecko (1941 posts) -

XCOM 2. Adore the first game but I couldn't connect with the sequel on any level.

#111 Posted by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption. I forget my exact statistics on it at this point, but I believe I attempted to play it four times and checked out around 2, 4, 3 and 8 hours in respectively. I kept being told to stick with it until it gets good, but man that is one bad videogame. I think I just have different expectations of a base level of mechanical competence. I also don't mind poorly thought out narratives, my favorite games have sloppy storytelling, but when you're all about the narrative that stuff stands out so much that it just becomes bothersome.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#112 Posted by SloppyDetective (1613 posts) -

I've never beaten but played Resident Evil 4 about 4 times.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#113 Edited by SloppyDetective (1613 posts) -

@superprohero: 1-3 are the most mediocre 3rd person games imaginable. Story and characters are paper thin and terribly cliche, shooting is floaty and couched in uninspired mid wall arenas. The only thing those games have going for them are tech.

Uncharted 4 is the first one I could actually finish since 1, because ND learned how to write interesting characters.

#114 Posted by DarkeyeHails (594 posts) -

Beyond Good and Evil for me. Just can't stick it out even though I generally enjoy what is happening in the game while I am playing it.

#116 Edited by zorban_zorban (53 posts) -

@d_0_0_m said:

Bioshock 2 until recently. I literally had to power through it and push myself to go through each level. The story was eh, and some of the game play got frustrating. I finally beat it recently and will probably never touch it again. Now Fallout 4 is sitting there and I just can't get into it. I don't know if it's me or the game in general, but it just seems boring and not as fun as New Vegas.

The exact same story with the Bioshock 1.

Also,Sam & Max Save the World. I absolutely love Telltale Games and the game has a good sense of humour; however, the gameplay is so very boring that I've never got any further than the third episode despite a few attempts.
#117 Posted by dudeglove (13763 posts) -

I wouldn't say I keep trying to play it, but the couple of times I've tried to play either Bioshock or the first Deus Ex, I bounce pretty quickly

#118 Edited by viking_funeral (2881 posts) -
No Caption Provided

By all rights I should love Crusader Kings II, but every time I start to sink a few hours into it I get both bored and frustrated. Which is saying something for someone who put as many hours into Dwarf Fortress as I did.

Far too much of the game is reacting to RNG events, and even then what little agency you have is also subject to RNG. Say you decide to assassinate someone. You create the plot, invite co-conspirators, and then you wait for an even to pop saying that someone will make a move. Sometimes that pops quickly, sometimes it doesn't. You pretty much just have to wait. Fun.

Then there's the combat. You basically get a big number of soldiers and throw them at other big numbers of soldiers, then hope that your enemies' morale breaks before your army's morale does. Yeah, it's slightly more complicated than that, but not by much.

Casus belli generally means no war without cause, so you need to drum one up or hope you can luck into a duchal claim in the case of Catholic neighbors. Then you can lose your claim when your leader dies. "Sorry everyone, pack it all up. Yes, yes, I know we took over 80% of their territory and lost thousands of lives, but we no longer have a reason to be here, so we all gotta go home. Those are the rules!"

There's more but why belabor the point? I will say that's it a great simulation from a high strategy point of view, so if you want to somewhat realistically create a great Irish empire that spreads across Europe using historically accurate depictions (ignoring the Aztec invasion DLC) then this is the game for that. Just don't do it on Ironman, because you're going to want to save scum quite a bit.

~

@lawgamer said:

Recent Civilizations. I played the hell out of Civ 4, and then 5-6 I keep trying and just falling off. I don't know what it is, I like strategy games, I loved the hell out of 4, but something just feels lacking. Like its too polished or something.

Maybe it's no Nemoy.

I put maybe 1,000 hours into Civ 4. I've only done around 100 each on Civ 5 & 6. There's some long analysis I could go into on why that is, but I think it basically comes down to 1UPT being too difficult for the AI and diplomacy being changed to a 'simulate another (apparently insane) player' by Jon Shafer for Civ 5, instead of the previous 'simulate an abstract civilization' from previous entries. Somehow the diplomacy got even worse for Civ 6, which is saying something.

No Nemoy is disappointing, but they missed a golden chance to get Patrick Stewart.

#119 Posted by Rich666 (428 posts) -

Skyrim. After playing hundreds of hours of Oblivion, i just couldnt get into Skyrim. Got about 20 hours (during which i kept telling myself "it has to get better than this right?")into it and just stopped. The story was boring as hell, the combat was god-awful and the world just felt stilted and dead to me. Maybe it had something to do with the far superior Dark Souls being released a month prior, but Skyrim just bored the living shit out of me. Not saying its a bad game, just lost me super quick.

#120 Posted by constantk (96 posts) -

@catoasapun: What about someone who thinks they shouldn't spend money on Witcher 3 because they have 2 and it's just sitting there in my backlog? Are they that different? I know 3 is almost universally thought of as a better game, but if 2 doesn't grab me, is 3 going to be any different?

#121 Posted by bassman2112 (1201 posts) -

@rich666 said:

Skyrim.

Same, for largely the same reasons you'd mentioned. I was a big Morrowind fan back in the day, but I set Skyrim aside after about 10 hours. I don't know why, it just really didn't appeal to me. I am glad a ton of other people love it, it just is not my jam I suppose.

#122 Posted by BetaBand (398 posts) -

@humanity said:

Modern Fallout games. I tried several times to get into them but man I just couldn't. I forced myself through Fallout 3 but after several hours in Fallout 4 I had to call it quits.

Same. The magic was gone for me.