Are there any games you wish you could experience again for the first time?

• 52 results
MissLucy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MissLucy

Hi everyone!

My fiancé has been an active member of this forum for years and I signed up today purely to comment on another thread but then had this question for you!

Can you think of any games you played that are so good you wish you could erase all memory of having played them purely so you could experience them for the first time again?

I ask because I have recently acquired a PS4 and have always enjoyed video games but maybe not quite something I do regularly enough to call it one of my main interests. Having said that, I want to do it more often. I'm currently playing through the Nathan Drake collection at the advice of my fiancé who's a huge fan of that franchise.

I look forward to reading your comments!!!

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misslucy: That's not a lot of info to go on. Can you elaborate on what you like? There are a ton of games that are good but it all depends on taste. Stuff is very subjective.

Other games like the Uncharted series include the recent Tomb Raider games (which are excellent) and The Last of Us (made by the studio that developed the Uncharted games).

MissLucy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tribunal: I don't want people to suggest stuff I might like, I purely wanted to know what games you can think of that you wish you could play for the first time again! I know it's subjective so I'll just read more about games that sound interesting and just pick what I play like that.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mathj

off the top of my head - shadows of the damned, ocarina of time, killer7, resident evil 2, amnesia the dark descent, mass effect 2, fallout 3, super metroid, silent hill 2/downpour...plenty more id love to experience again for the first time but those are some.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bioshock and Demon's Souls. I was kind of late to the party on both those games, but they were both so good I wish I could get the feeling I had when playing through them for the first time. I don't know if that helps you at all, since you can't play either of them on a PS4. Anyway, have fun with Uncharted, it's a great series. I just finished part 4 and it was my favorite. Maybe I should pick up the collection since I haven't played those in so long.

MissLucy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, I just remembered that I played Brothers too which was awesome and I'd probably offer that up to my own thread as one to erase to experience again for the first time..

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misslucy: oh, ok. Recent games that I have really enjoyed include The Witcher 3, Satellite Reign, Stardew Valley, The Witness, The Banner Saga, The Wolf Among Us, and Doom.

MissLucy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MissLucy

@hippie_genocide: I know not everyone's suggestions will be on ps4, I was just interested to know :) and I'm pretty much late to the party all the time haha! I did play some Bioshock when I had a PS3 and loved what I played - though I hear they might come to ps4 sometime this year so I'd love to actually finish it then! My fiancé has just finished Uncharted 4 and what I saw looked great so I figured I'd start at the beginning so I'd develop that affinity with the characters and the story and make 4 extra worth my while!

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The first Mass Effect. Everything about it seemed so big, amazing, and in some parts genuinely alienating, but only the first time.

MissLucy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MissLucy

@the_tribunal: Ooh I am playing Stardew Valley as well.. I haven't got very far but it's very intriguing!

Edit: Also, my fiancé and I sat down together and played through the witness.. I loved it mostly.. I enjoyed the mechanics of it and it looked amazing. I have to say though, if I see another maze puzzle, I might have a nervous breakdown.

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think for me to enjoy replaying these games for the first time, I would have to time travel back to when they were released. Because like technology, game design such as gameplay mechanics and storytelling have been streamlined and evolved year after year. So replaying most games that are 6 year or older would feel dated right now.

World of Warcraft

Half-Life 2

The Legend of Zelda

Mega Man 2

Street Fighter 2

Final Fantasy 6

StarCraft

Unreal Tournament (1999)

Maniac Mansion

Stephen's Sausage Roll

Bayonetta

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I edited your thread title a bit so it reflects what the topic is actually about.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The Witness
Fez

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I want to experience KoTOR again - I just want to play it once without knowing how it goes...

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killer7 is the best videogame ever made.
So that one.

VFL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game wise it would be Zelda: Link to the Past and Super R-type(First level music is so great), But i would really want to relive the whole Super Nintendo experience altogether. It was such a great experience for myself and my father, who was just as excited and blown away as i was back in 1991 when we rented it from our local mom n pop video rental store.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I could forget The Witcher 3 and experience this game again with all the patches and expansions. Maybe Skyrim and Mass Effect 1/2.

MrKinoshiita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKinoshiita

This is going to be a bit cliche of an answer. I grew up loving video games but was the guy who didn't usually get to own a system. I did have a PS1 in college at the beginning of it's cycle, but basically skipped about 15 years of video games after that. I got a PS3, because I was living in Japan and hated the TV here, near the end of it's life and fell in love with games again. It was like jumping in a time machine going forward to what I remembered.

Anyways the game that blew me away the most was Last of Us. I would love to play that game again without knowing anything. And if you are enjoying Uncharted I think it might be up your alley gameplay wise as well.

That said there are a lot of great suggestions here a well. Bioshock and Mass Effect are both really good. And Witcher 3 blew my mind as well.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misslucy: yup. I never want to hear "In the Hall of the Mountain King" again.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Metro 2033

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World of Warcraft.
It was my first MMO and the timing was perfect. I was still in high school and had a lot of time and friends who played it as well.
I had YEARS of fun with it and would really love to experience something like that again.
I've tried almost every MMO since and nothing hits the spot anymore, WoW included...
It was a time and a place thing I guess...

walach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid 3, if you still got your PS3 there is a HD version you could get.

Chrono Trigger available on many plattforms, best version is on NDS.

And a new game that I really liked is Darkest Dungeon(steam), but that is a one and done for me ^^.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Bastion.

The only game that has ever actually made me feel anything emotionally. Also the only game where I have made a choice, and not even wanted to see what the other option was because I couldn't imagine any other decision.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dac8b1b10957
deactivated-5dac8b1b10957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Most definitely Super Metroid. That's #1 for me. If I could go back to it for the first time as an adult instead of a 7 year-old kid that didn't know what the hell was going on, I wonder if it'd still be my favorite game of all time.

Besides that? Dark Souls 1. That's pretty much it. I can still get enjoyment out of pretty much every other game I've played, but the ones that had the most impact on my gaming habits are those two games.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Literally hundreds. A couple that springs to Portal 2, and Metal Gear Solid.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By davidh219

God yes. The biggest ones that come to mind are Oblivion, The Witness, KoTOR 1 & 2, Sly Cooper games, PoP: Sands of Time, Mirror's Edge, Outland, and all the Monkey Island games.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean.. I only play games once in general so I would love to play every game I enjoyed again and have it be as the first time.

More specifically though, Dark Souls is a game that stands out for me. The first time through that was something I hadn't experienced before or since.

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Portal 2, Oblivion, GTA Vice City, Silent Hill, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Journey, Morrowind, World of Warcraft, The Last of Us.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Journey definitely. Probably also Skyrim.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Several. The ones to come to mind are Okami and the Mass Effect Trilogy.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By afabs515

The only games I really wish I could experience again for the first time are games with stories I feel are really strong/have memorable twists. So for me, that list includes:

• Persona 4
  • Virtue's Last Reward
  • Danganronpa 1 and 2
  • The Metal Gear Solid games
  • Ace Attorney series
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Max Payne PC version when it was released instead of years later
  • Mortal Kombat 2 arcade days
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Battlefield 2 I miss playing with my old clan
  • Resident evil 4
  • GTA San Andreas
rabincrabmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily Everquest. Going into this huge world in 1999 was an incredible experience for me.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Portal 2 ... Dragon Age: Origins ... Mass Effect (all of them) and ... Freedem Force.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I want new things to surprise and delight me, not the ability to reexperience old things for the first time.

aiomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have two. The first I played more recently, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I'm not sure why I found the game so powerful, and as someone who primarily plays multiplayers games, it was a wholly unique experience to me.

The second is Guild Wars 1. I feel like most MMO players that begin playing as a kid always have insane nostalgia for their original MMO. I came to GW1 when I was 12 or so, and the memories of just being in awe of the size are something I don't want to revisit now for fear of seeing what the game actually is like, but I loved that game.

hunter456285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hunter456285

Mine would probably be either Life is Strange or Persona 3.

Seinenfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might take a while.

Halo: Combat Evolved - when it first opens up my young self was amazed by the freedom and scale compared to the fps games I'd played prior. Not to mention the enemy AI (it's still good), sticking an enemy for the first time, bouncing warthogs off each other... God I love halo.

Ocarina of Time - maybe the best video game of all time, the sense of wonder and excitement when I first played hasn't really been matched. That might be because I was a child or it might be because it's just that good.

Final Fantasy IX - the best final fantasy game (tactics is very good and I won't argue if you tell me it's better), it made me care about characters in a way no video game had yet, and so the pivotal moments in the story felt so impactful and dramatic to me. Add extremely impressive cgi cutscenes and the best graphics the PSX could muster and you've got a video game that blew me away.

The Last of Us - I didn't play this Until I got a PS4, and I was afraid the hype might have sunk it before I even played it, but man was I wrong. The way it builds its characters and narrative is really impressive, as is the quality of the world-building and detail. The story you uncover in the sewer area is better than most main video game plots. There are also some real moments of tension in the gameplay, and while it isn't my favourite playing game, it's still quite good in that department as well. I don't feel like replaying it because I know it won't be the same.

Gone Home - changed the way I thought about games and made me want to explore every nook and cranny so I understood everything I could.

Dark Souls - my first time through dark souls I had a friend explain some of the obtuse shit to me without holding my hand too much. It was a game I had avoided because I wasn't sure if it was for me, but I found that he game wasn't brutally hard like some people like to make out, but it tells you as little as possible and forces you to learn from death. Once you figure out your first souls game, the subsequent ones you play won't really be the same. Dark Souls is still the only one I've finished.

The thing about game experiences you wish you could have for the first time again is that they're often very time-dependent. I think these games are still "good", but the older ones are not necessarily going to be the mind-blowing experiences they were the first time if someone were today them for the first time today.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to say MGS3, but I'm afraid I'd end up disliking it. I think that goes for a lot of games I like; sort of how Jeff mentions that he doesn't want to go back to OoT because it my recolour his opinion of it.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I already want to experience The Witness again for the first time. It was such a magical powerful experience for me, and it's definitely going to be my game of the year.

Other than that, maybe Dark Souls or Metroid Prime.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to say Ultima 4 and Shadow of the Colossus but that would involve going back to the mental state and expectations of games that I had back then. Increasingly I find going back to old games being a thing I can do for a couple hours at most then setting them aside again.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Cube

Super Mario 64, Battlefield 2, Starcraft, Warcraft III, Counterstrike Source

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom

Final Fantasy VII

GTA III

Bioshock

Until Dawn

Heavy Rain

Dark Cloud 2

Resident Evil

Return Fire

renegade1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By renegade1973

Dark souls, OOT, Ninja Gaiden (Xbox), Deus ex (original PC), the list is endless

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Colony024

The one gaming dragon I've chased is most certainly World of Warcraft. I'd never played an MMO before, or much online-anything really, but for some reason I decided to give the free trial a go back in the day (roughly half a year before the first expansion was released) and after being thoroughly lost for an evening, it started to dawn on me just how expansive this thing was. Didn't take long for me to decide to invest in the full game after that.

I had the good fortune of meeting a group of really nice and helpful people early on, and for maybe a year or so after that it genuinely felt like a second life on the side. Our guild was a raiding guild, but a rather casual one; there was never any pressure about performance or DPS or loot or whatever; just a bunch of like-minded folk having some fun. I think it helped a lot that a lot of us were older, had families, kids, etc and generally had better things to do than stress about a video game.

Inevitably real life, as well as simply getting used to all the systems caught up with me, and the game devolved into habit rather than wonder and amazement, but I'll never forget that first go-around. It wasn't just the game itself, but more the feeling of community and being part of something bigger than what just my own character was doing. Towards the end though, I barely participated in the actual game anymore, and I just logged in to chat to people, which I could also do without paying a monthly fee, so I called it quits.

Since then I've tried a couple of different MMOs, hoping to maybe catch that first impression again, but ofcourse this is a lost cause. Still, every once in a while I wonder whether or not I should return for a spell... Hey, Blizzard is offering me free game time, right? But nah, it'll never be that fresh again (not to mention the game is vastly different these days). Frankly, I don't think I'll ever get that involved in any game ever again, but I sure had a bunch of fun while it lasted. Good times.

cubiclegnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picross 3D. With no US release announcement, I'm considering buying a Japanese 3DS just to play the sequel. Seriously, a $200+ purchase, just to break some blocks in a crude sculpt-by-numbers puzzle game...

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#48  Edited By TobbRobb

Journey. I got a kick out of playing it multiple times, but that first time was goddamn magical. Other than that it's a bit harder to pick. With favorite games like Dark Souls, Bayonetta, Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid etc. You start developing new ways to enjoy them, you evolve with the games which is super cool. I loved the hell out of my first playthrough of all those games, but not neccessarily much more than the many, many reruns I've done.

I also very much value the lessons all these games have taught me. I couldn't part with my knowledge even if it meant I could try and gain it again. I guess I'm just a hoarder like that.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#49 FinalDasa  Moderator

Minecraft.

Having played no games like it and slowly, but surely, bashing my head against it to reveal what that game was really about was amazing. I would spend 2-3 days playing it, then go cold on it, then hear from a friend what they were able to do, and go back into it.

That feeling of discovery and depth that was initially hidden, or rather not spelled out, from the player was amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baldurs Gate 2.