Are there any retro action platformers that have stood out from the past few years?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I have a hankering for this type of game, don't think I've really got into one of them since like Shovel Knight, and hey it's Black Friday sales time.

I don't know what this genre is properly called, but I think I'm including anything that is a side-scrolling platform action-y game, whether melee-based like a Ninja Gaiden or ranged-based like a Gunstar Heroes. I guess I'm disallowing games that are more open-world, roguelike, run-based, etc. Just looking for a linear-ish platformer.

The ones that come to mind are:

Any thoughts on those games? Or if there's some other game you want to go to bat for, let me know!

The current frontrunner is Steel Assault, because it looks pretty baller (I've heard it's short, though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeVpQ-MHkiY

A little tragic that it didn't get a Quick Look/UPF appearance, it looks rad.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

Huntdown was really good, with a tactical approach to combat that I didn't expect. Figured the humor might be annoying but it was honestly fine. Great boss battles, music, art.

Steel Assault was fun, but only get it if you like to replay your games to get better. I enjoyed it but it's quite short. Very tight design.

Cyber Shadow was fun, but I recall some frustrating design bits. There were points where I was ready to put it down, and not due to difficulty.

Panzer Paladin, I've been waiting for a Switch sale but it looks dope.

I also recommend Mighty Goose on Game Pass. It's like a Metal Slug game with upgrades and stuff. Started slow but then I finished it twice in a weekend.

And The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile was my favorite of these types of games in the 360 era. It just played so well.

laughingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By laughingman

Huntdown is outstanding: great music, clever level design, and fun weapons to play around with.

Bleed and Bleed 2 are extremely good run and gun shooters. I just looked and they're 70% off on the US eshop. They're a steal at that price, and well worth your time.

The Bloodstained games are almost perfect throwbacks, capturing the look and feel of classic side scrolling action games.

@csl316 You're in luck! Panzer Paladin is 50% off on US eshop right now.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

+1 to Huntdown. It absolutely whips, and I think there is footage of Jeff playing it during some home stream if you want to see some more gameplay....

Cyber Shadow is good, and I would probably compare it to The Messenger the most. And if you haven't played The Messenger than I would add that to the list and recommend it over Cyber Shadow but that came out years ago.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

Does Katana Zero count? That might be out of this ballpark but also it might be my favorite game I've played this year. It's definitely up there.

laughingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@justin258: Katana Zero is incredibly good. Style, action, stylish action; a plot that goes to some wild places...I finished it last year and still think about it from time to time.

alianger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 25

Sonic Mania (PS4/NS/XBO/PC, 2017)

Cuphead (XBO/PC, 2017)

Demons of Asteborg (MD/PC, 2021)

Mostly linear MVs:

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (Multi, 2018/PC, 2019)

AM2R/Another Metroid 2 Remake (PC, 2016)(fan game)

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Sigi A Fart for Melusia. Despite its name and very retro look its a solid mix of Super Mario Bros 3 and Ghouls n Ghosts.