Are there any XBOX mmo's that are worth a damn

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Belonpopo

So I just played WoW for the first time today and I enjoyed it. The problem was is it was at a friends house so I do not own it. I also do not want to pay 15 bucks a month on top of my Xbox Live and cell phone service (that shit adds up) and my computer is not a gaming computer so it can not run the game. I stuck with my 360, does any got a mmo that is worth playing on there 360? 

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

I'm pretty sure the only MMO on the 360 is FFXI. And that requires a $15 subscription fee.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MKHavoc

I think there's also Phantasy Star Universe, but you'd have to pay a monthly fee for that as well. 

EDIT: I just checked the page for this game and it looks like you don't need a gold membership to play it, but you probably won't be willing to give that up for just one game that people might not even be playing anymore.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Modern Warfare 2?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Just stick with MMOs on PC.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2? "
FAIL.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By End_Boss

The only ones worth mentioning currently are Phantasy Star Universe and Final Fantasy XII. There is another MMO coming, but it doesn't have a release date yet.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Pazy

As far as im aware the only true MMO on Xbox 360 (its also on PS2 and PC) is FFXI. Personally have I have a strong affection for this game which has a lot of content (4 expansion packs and 3 mini-pakcs) and a fairly large community. Its feels a lot diffrent from WoW though since it came out years before but I found it fairly easy to get into by myself though it dosent guide you as much as WoW (for example there is a map but there are no markers on the map to tell you where you quest is). The controls are fairly simple as well, the left stick moves you and the right stick is your camera. The "A" button lets you select NPC's and talk to them as well as select monsters and attack (or you use up and down on the dpad to select special moves/items). There are some other buttons but they arent really essential beyond one of the buttons (sadly I cant remember since it was a long time ago) that brings up a menu and then you use the D-pad to naviagate and A to select. Although you really also need a USB keyboard to type out messages to people you are playing with.

There is also Phantasy Star Universe which is half way between an MMO and an online action-RPG. There isnt a giant world like an MMO its more like a small world (which is about as large as one of the city's in WoW from what I remember) with access points to "missions" which take place on "maps" although some places in the world have to be access by going through a "mission". For example there is an observation deck that you have to go through an access passage way, the passage way is a map that missions take place on so you have to do a mission everytime you want to get to it. Personally I dont feel this is an MMO although it is a persistent world though I do feel it is a lot of fun. You can try it out with a demo that is on XBL that contains most of the "overworld" part of the game, a couple missions (1 or 2 in each area) and up to level 10 I think, the world then gets reset every month.

I beleive both of these games, or PSU in its multiplayer fashion, dont require Gold but do require a monthly subscription to them. I think both of these games are the same price as a WoW subscription.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By natetodamax
@ShaunassNZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2? "
FAIL. "
MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online?
Modern Warfare 2 = Hundreds of thousands of people online at once?
Fail?
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pazy
@natetodamax said:
" @ShaunassNZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2? "
FAIL. "
MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online? Modern Warfare 2 = Hundreds of thousands of people online at once? Fail? "

While MMO stands for Massivly Multiplayer Online it more refers to how many play at one time (i.e. in one "match"). In WoW there are thousands of people on one server at one time and in MW2 there is a maximum of 16 in one "match" or "server".
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Karmum
@natetodamax said:
" @ShaunassNZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2? "
FAIL. "
MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online? Modern Warfare 2 = Hundreds of thousands of people online at once? Fail? "
Modern Warfare 2 isn't an MMO.

"Massively Multiplayer online games are capable of supporting hundreds of thousands of people simultaneously." "Also features at least once persistent world."

Thousands, in the same game or world. World of Warcraft, Phantasy Star Online, Final Fantasy XI, Guild Wars, etc.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By natetodamax
@Karmum said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @ShaunassNZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2? "
FAIL. "
Modern Warfare 2 isn't an MMO.  "Massively Multiplayer online games are capable of supporting hundreds of thousands of people simultaneously." "Also features at least once persistent world."  Thousands, in the same game or world. World of Warcraft, Phantasy Star Online, Final Fantasy XI, Guild Wars, etc. "
Ah, okay.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Karmum
@natetodamax: 
MAG can be considered an MMO. A first-person MMO, 256 people in one game. 18 people in a match is pretty measly.

Also, obviously all of them aren't X360 games, just was providing examples.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I could be wrong but would Fable 2 count?

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@ShaunassNZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2? "
FAIL. "
Nah, he's partially right. It has a big community, you level up and get new gear and earn EXP. 

You complete quests (Challenges) and get even more EXP. And farm (camp) on enemies to get good loot (Kill streak rewards).

It's basically as close as you can get to an MMO without it actually being open world, or an MMO at all.
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thecleric
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @ShaunassNZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2? "
FAIL. "
Nah, he's partially right. It has a big community, you level up and get new gear and earn EXP.   You complete quests (Challenges) and get even more EXP. And farm (camp) on enemies to get good loot (Kill streak rewards).  It's basically as close as you can get to an MMO without it actually being open world, or an MMO at all. "
That's like saying every game is an rpg because you assume the role of a character.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

1 vs. 100.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@thecleric said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" @ShaunassNZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2? "
FAIL. "
Nah, he's partially right. It has a big community, you level up and get new gear and earn EXP.   You complete quests (Challenges) and get even more EXP. And farm (camp) on enemies to get good loot (Kill streak rewards).  It's basically as close as you can get to an MMO without it actually being open world, or an MMO at all. "
That's like saying every game is an rpg because you assume the role of a character. "
No it isn't.
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thecleric
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @thecleric said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" @ShaunassNZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2? "
FAIL. "
That's like saying every game is an rpg because you assume the role of a character. "
No it isn't. "
Yes it is
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Karmum
@CornontheCobbe said:
" I could be wrong but would Fable 2 count? "
I wouldn't think so. The maximum amount of controllable players in one "world" would be two. Thousands aren't playing together in one world, you can't interact with those people in the same world.
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By scarace360

no ff11 on 360 i bought and it was crap. 
Champions online was supposed to come out for it but Microsoft stopped that.
so no just upgrade your pc and go play something on that.
O ya and phantasy star universe is crap. so dont get it

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@thecleric said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" @thecleric said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" @ShaunassNZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2? "
FAIL. "
No it isn't. "
Yes it is "
It's not like I said it was a platformer because it has a jumping button.
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Slippy

Your PC can't run WoW?  

LOL.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By natetodamax
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @thecleric said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" @thecleric said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" @ShaunassNZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2? "
FAIL. "
No it isn't. "
Yes it is "
It's not like I said it was a platformer because it has a jumping button. "
This made me lol
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@Karmum said:
" @CornontheCobbe said:
I wouldn't think so. The maximum amount of controllable players in one "world" would be two. Thousands aren't playing together in one world, you can't interact with those people in the same world. "
Ah yes i see. I had thought because you can see their gamer "bubbles" floating around the world, it was an MMO. And because you could give them a gift haha.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You don't need a gaming PC to run WoW. Any PC that isn't more than five years old should be able to run it. And there are plenty of free to play MMO's out there that don't have super high system requirements either, so if you're worried about the fee, it might be worth checking out one of those. They won't be up to the high standard of WoW, but since you don't want to pay the monthly fee there isn't really any other option.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Slippy said:
" Your PC can't run WoW?   LOL. "
You would want to play WoW? 

LOL.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rowr

Excuse my while i facepalm at peoples inability to comprehend what an mmo is.

This forum is packed so tight with clueless console gamers.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nanikore
@Karmum said:

" @natetodamax said:

" @ShaunassNZ said:

" @natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2? "
FAIL. "
Modern Warfare 2 isn't an MMO.  "Massively Multiplayer online games are capable of supporting hundreds of thousands of people simultaneously." "Also features at least once persistent world."  Thousands, in the same game or world. World of Warcraft, Phantasy Star Online, Final Fantasy XI, Guild Wars, etc. "
I always thought MMO was just a shorter version of saying MMORPG (Massively Mulitplayer Online Roleplaying Game). Didn't know they were different things. 

@MysteriousBob said:

" @Slippy said:

You would want to play WoW?  LOL. "
Ridiculing other people's taste in games (and in this case, the vast majority's taste) is cool now? World of Warcraft is considered by many people as one of the best online games ever made. You can tell by the amount of subscribers it has, or just by playing it. It's a great game. It's not like it's Big Rigs or something. It may be your opinion that it's ridiculous to like it, but that is pretty pathetic.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bigandtasty
@MysteriousBob said:
" @Slippy said:
You made a lazy WoW joke?

LOL.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Cerza

The only two MMO's on the 360 are Final Fantasy XI and Phantasy Star Universe. Final Fantasy XI is better played on a PC and Phantasy Star Universe is not a very good game in its own right and is absolute crap when compared to Phantasy Star Online (it's predecessor). PSU is definitely not worth paying $15 a month for. The worst part about PSU on 360 though is that to cancel your subscription you have to call them up on the phone and ask them to cancel it for you while arguing with them for 20 minutes and then praying that they canceled it. I had to call 3 times in order to get my sub for that game canned. I will never play it again and can't endorse anyone else to play it on the 360. Also, a quick FYI if you are considering it on the other platforms, the PC and PS2 versions of PSU have been hacked to death.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Lies

ITT people fail to understand the connotation AND denotation of MMO

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By Jadeskye

I cannot speak for Phantasy star universe but i remember playing phantasy star online on the dreamcast a good 10 years ago and enjoying it immensely. From what i hear the formula is much the same. give it a whirl imo. you can't know til you try.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Karmum
@nanikore: 
Actually, MMO and MMORPG happen to be two different things. What I listed actually were some horrible examples: they are MMORPGs.

Diablo, Diablo II, and Diablo III are MMOs.

@MattyFTM said:

" You don't need a gaming PC to run WoW. Any PC that isn't more than five years old should be able to run it. And there are plenty of free to play MMO's out there that don't have super high system requirements either, so if you're worried about the fee, it might be worth checking out one of those. They won't be up to the high standard of WoW, but since you don't want to pay the monthly fee there isn't really any other option. "

Indeed, Blizzard are masters of optimization.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nanikore
@Karmum: Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#36  Edited By Symphony
@Bigandtasty said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @Slippy said:
You made a lazy WoW joke?  LOL. "
PWNED LIEK LEEROY ROFLCOPTERZ!!!
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Diamond
@Karmum said:
Indeed, Blizzard are masters of optimization.
More a matter of having extremely simple graphics really.

I'm just disappointed that WoW is still king of the hill and so many other MMOs are trying to be WoW, so there's no interesting MMOs to play on any platform.
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By jmrwacko
@CornontheCobbe said:
No, Fable 2 only has 2-person co-op. It's more of a singleplayer game, really.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pause422
@Rowr said:
" Excuse my while i facepalm at peoples inability to comprehend what an mmo is.  This forum is packed so tight with clueless console gamers. "
Yeah, I thought they were joking...

No mmo on the 360 is worth playing, on top of paying a monthly fee to the XBL fee you already pay.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By benpack

1 vs 100