Are they called "Adds" or "Ads"?

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are they called "Adds" or "Ads"? (312 votes)

Adds 77%
Ads 23%

The dudes that bosses spawn in to provide the player with more ammo/more challenge during the boss fight. I always see it spelled differently.

My understanding is they are "adds" because they spawn ADDitional enemies.

Just a dumb thought I had. How do you spell it?

• 
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Ads are commercials, Adds are annoying additional enemies.

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ads are also annoying enemies most of the time, so...

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

They're Adds. Funnily enough, this is probably a more important distinction to make with how some F2P MMOs are like these days.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I’ve always just called them “mobs” and Giant Bomb is the first place where I encountered the term Adds

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By tds418

You are correct, or at least that's how it was explained to me. Trash enemies that spawn during raid bosses and other tough MMO enemies are "adds" because they are "additional" to the main threat.

FWIW, I learned this term through raiding in Destiny 1.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Admittedly I haven't played an MMO in years, but a decade ago in WoW it was "adds".

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mobs is too confusing because it doesn't immediately convey an understanding that they are an additional threat to the fight.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Adds, for sure. They're additional and added as the fight goes on. I've always disliked "mobs" because I think of a mob as a large group, and that term is used in this context for numbers of enemies as low as 1.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Adds are additional enemies
Ads are advertisements

Mobs are a just any mobile enemy; adds are specifically additional enemies other than the main threat in an encounter

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Just as humanity i never heard adds before Brad & Jeff got into Destiny. I guess i didn't do much MMORPGs to really encounter the term. I'm still here in my 'next wave' 'new spawn' corner. And yeah, sure a 'wave' evokes a wave-based game where you beat 1 grouping of enemies and then the next round of enemies start, which is not 1 to 1 compared to how adds work. But at the same time that difference doesn't really matter when you're clearly not playing a wave-based game.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: I dunno you start shoutin' about waves in an MMO or something half the party is dead while they figure out what you're saying.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: Yah while of course I'm not contesting the correctness of the term, in the end it's all semantics. If you're in a boss room and new minor enemies spawn, it's not like mobs or adds is any different - they are new enemies that will engage you, whether they are "additional" or "any mobile" enemy really has no distinction at this point. So I think it just depends on the group of people you're playing with. Like you I never played MMORPGs so it's an odd term to me and I probably wouldn't use it to describe a boss that is spawning new units, but at the same time if I'm with a group of people that are all saying Adds then I'm not going to dig in my heels and not use the term.

Hunkadunkodon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. I think some of this, as frightening as it may be to realize, is generational as well. I've been playing MMOs since the 90s and terms like adds, mobs, pats, cc, etc. are all pretty solidly ingrained in my brain. You tell me when the boss enrages and I'll know exactly what you mean no matter what the game is. Hell, "sheeping" was a pretty wow-centric term but in the MMO boom of it's heyday I recall that being a pretty universally understood term for crowd control.

If you wanna get real deep in the weeds though you get into the FFXIV community and see what players say they're DPS and which ones say they're DDs. That's when you can sniff out the FFXI vets from the newcomers :P

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@humanity said:

I’ve always just called them “mobs” and Giant Bomb is the first place where I encountered the term Adds

Was always with you on this. Didn't start hearing "Adds" until I started playing Destiny with folks. I'd never had any MMO experience previous to that, which is where I suppose I would've picked it up otherwise.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Adds for sure. To define some of the other MMO-y terms being tossed around in this thread based on how I've always thought of them:

Adds: Additional minor enemies in a boss encounter- especially ones that spawn after the fight has begun.

Mobs: Refers to standard enemies you encounter in the world or the non-boss portion of dungeons/raids.

Wave: I usually associate this more with a Horde mode style thing than anything in a boss encounter.

All that being said, I am also not above just saying "ah shit, more guys" when adds show up.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16 sweep  Moderator

@humanity said:

Weirdly, GIant Bomb is where I learned that Mob is an acronym for "Monster or Beast".

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: Decades of MMO playing under my belt and this is the first time i've seen MOB written out, so no I've also learned that thanks to Giant Bomb!

I've always called them Adds, largely due to MMOs. That being said, for a long time that was the ONLY place "adds" were used, for some reason strictly a MMO term in my mind. Older games with lots of enemies were just...enemies. Only in recent years, with the seeming MMO-ification of most games, did I finally start using Adds outside stuff like WoW and FFXIV

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Humanity

@sweep: I didn't even know that it meant that haha, I had assumed that it meant like units that were part of a "mob" because they always appeared in groups - which is a weird definition to make up for yourself.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, while I never really played any MMORPGs seriously I DID play MUDs (Multi User Dungeon) for a while there and I can't be certain but I think that may have been the first time I heard the term.

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:
@humanity said:

Weirdly, GIant Bomb is where I learned that Mob is an acronym for "Monster or Beast".

wow, this is incredible! Never even thought about that one. You just gave me a whole new context to mobs. Well it would be "MOBs" right?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically mob is for "mobile" but that's some Old Shit.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21 chaser324  Moderator

@sweep: Wow. I had no clue "mob" was an acronym.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good example of why you should read before voting.

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ads as in advertisement.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@chaser324: @meatsofevil: @humanity: @takayamasama: @sweep:

A mob, short for mobile,[1][2][3][4] is a computer-controlled non-player character (NPC) in a computer game such as an MMORPG[5] or MUD.[1][3]

[...]

Etymology

The term "mobile object" [1][2][3][4] was used by Richard Bartle for objects that were self-mobile in MUD1.[1] Later Source code in DikuMUD used the term "mobile" to refer to a generic NPC, shortened further to "mob" in identifiers. DikuMUD was a heavy influence on EverQuest.[14][15] and the term as it exists in MMORPGs is derived from the MUD usage.[5][1]. The term is properly an abbreviation rather than an acronym.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25 sweep  Moderator

@chaser324: @meatsofevil: @humanity: @takayamasama: @sweep:

A mob, short for mobile,[1][2][3][4] is a computer-controlled non-player character (NPC) in a computer game such as an MMORPG[5] or MUD.[1][3]

[...]

Etymology

The term "mobile object" [1][2][3][4] was used by Richard Bartle for objects that were self-mobile in MUD1.[1] Later Source code in DikuMUD used the term "mobile" to refer to a generic NPC, shortened further to "mob" in identifiers. DikuMUD was a heavy influence on EverQuest.[14][15] and the term as it exists in MMORPGs is derived from the MUD usage.[5][1]. The term is properly an abbreviation rather than an acronym.

Huh. After a little digging it seems like the bacronym was retconned in afterwards. Interesting.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@humanity said:

First place I heard was in among all the talk of Remnant <hunhng> From Ashes. And it was across the internet, like everyone had settled on it overnight.