get the fuck out

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By sissylion

"Having words" isn't the only qualification for literature. Textbooks are more literary than video games are.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scarace360

@Shivoa said:

No, but it may contain literature.

Open/Shut.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Are they literature how?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mandude

Yes. I love to read games. There's nothing I like more than opening a nice game and reading it by lamplight before going to sleep.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By YI_Orange

Are Visual Novels videogames?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

No. Literature is text.

Okay, maybe Zork is. Dammit.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bwheeeler

Are bananas mammals? What are we doing please help

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@bwheeeler said:

Are bananas mammals?

Are they?

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By killacam

no, but the dreams (they're all prose) in lost odyssey are some really, really well written pieces of fiction. the game itself is, however, still a video game.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By BaneFireLord

They are art, but they are not literature. They are video games.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator

Google dictionary has the answer.

lit·er·a·ture

Noun:

1. Written works, esp. those considered of superior or lasting artistic merit: "a great work of literature".

2. Books and writings published on a particular subject: "the literature on environmental epidemiology".

All power to google.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By moywar700

The meaning of Literature means creative writing of recognized artistic value.Literature is merely creative writing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53GwCg_yP8s 00:00-03:23

In this video, you look at a perspective of a sea monster.The game has rich narrative text which makes the game very good.I think this video game is literature(to me) because it has creative writing.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By JasonR86

Does it matter?

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Deusx

Are computers monkeys?

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deusx said:

Are computers monkeys?

Now thats just racist
moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By moywar700

@JasonR86 said:

Does it matter?

If creative writing(literature) doesn't matter to you, I guess not.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By moywar700

@thatpinguino said:

Google dictionary has the answer.

lit·er·a·ture

Noun:

1. Written works, esp. those considered of superior or lasting artistic merit: "a great work of literature".

2. Books and writings published on a particular subject: "the literature on environmental epidemiology".

All power to google.

Thank you for proving my point.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rentfn

If I have a B.A. in Literature can I apply to Harmonix and Irrational instead of teach 11th grade??

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By moywar700

@rentfn said:

If I have a B.A. in Literature can I apply to Harmonix and Irrational instead of teach 11th grade??

You may work as a story writing for them.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By blackichigo

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Is it racist you thought it was racist.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackichigo said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Is it racist you thought it was racist.

Yeah, I think that was pretty racist of me.  Is it racist for me to think "hey, strawberries are red, not black!"
BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By BrittonPeele

@moywar700 said:

The meaning of Literature means creative writing of recognized artistic value.Literature is merely creative writing.

As someone who majored in Creative Writing and also loves video games ... no, not really.

I would not call a great movie literature. I would not call a great game literature. I would not call great music literature. Now a book? A book is literature.

That is not to say that movies, games and music aren't (or can not be) art, but that's a completely different word with a completely different meaning. Similarly, movies, games and music can have amazing writing, creative or not. That doesn't make them literature.

I think you're trying to stretch the word "literature" to make it mean something it doesn't. No matter how great games become -- even if they have writing that ends up rivaling the best novels in history -- they won't technically be "literature."

Literary? Maybe. I could say System Shock 2 is a very literary game (like I believe Harvey Smith did during a Quakecon 2012 panel "Looking Back at Looking Glass"). But I would not say it is literature.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By moywar700

@Sargus said:

@moywar700 said:

As someone who majored in Creative Writing and also loves video games ... no, not really.

I would not call a great movie literature. I would not call a great game literature. I would not call great music literature. Now a book? A book is literature.

That is not to say that movies, games and music aren't (or can not be) art, but that's a completely different word with a completely different meaning. Similarly, movies, games and music can have amazing writing, creative or not. That doesn't make them literature.

I think you're trying to stretch the word "literature" to make it mean something it doesn't. No matter how great games become -- even if they have writing that ends up rivaling the best novels in history -- they won't technically be "literature."

Literary? Maybe. I could say System Shock 2 is a very literary game (like I believe Harvey Smith did during a Quakecon 2012 panel "Looking Back at Looking Glass"). But I would not say it is literature.

Why don't you think it can't be Literature?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By beforet

I would say a video game's script is literature in the same way a movie's or play's script is literature. But the final product, the video game itself, is a collaborative effort involving combining several elements, literature being one of them for some games.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#28  Edited By D_W

If the game is told mainly through text and little else then yes, it is literature.  
Videos games as a medium is interesting because they can take on elements from all other forms of art, often at the same time, in a way that no other medium can. That's one of the best things about them.

(also I'm disappointed in the majority of responses to this thread. tsk tsk tsk)

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Terramagi

Depends.

Planescape: Torment is basically a book.

Deus Ex predicted 9/11 and everything else that's happened in the last 10 years.

CoD? Maybe not so much.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hangedtoaster
@mandude: Your post makes me sad, because I miss big old instruction booklets that used to contain pages and pages of things to read late at night! Now it's a piece of paper with some legal garbage on it =(
cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cthomer5000

Is pepperoni ice cream?

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BrittonPeele

@moywar700 said:

@Sargus said:

@moywar700 said:

Because literature is use of the written word more or less exclusively. Something penned by an author or authors and visible on a page -- even an electronic page. Not moving pictures, not interactive programs ...

I even take some issue with the concept of plays being literature, though they're much closer to just being spoken word books (which we have to include for the sake of works like The Odyssey, which were told orally), so I'm more likely to give them a pass, I guess.

Now, as has been said before in this thread, you could possibly make a case for a game's script being literature, but I think that would be silly -- a script isn't meant to be digested on its own. It's meant to be a tool used in the creation of a final, more artful product. It still takes a whole heck of a lot of skill to create, obviously, but it's an altogether different form of writing than, say, a novel.

Games are beautiful in that they encompass a little bit of so many art forms, from music to writing to acting to aesthetics to performance, etc. But I wouldn't call a game a piece of literature because it has great writing any more than I would call Bastion an album because it has great music.

You could maybe, mayyyyybe make a case for, say, a text adventure (a la Zork). I still personally think the interactive nature that goes into it (which requires programming, which is a separate entity than the basic writing) eliminates it from what I see as "literature," but I wouldn't argue that issue with someone too passionately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It would be so cool if so many users weren't repeating the same tired joke, and would just answer the OP's question.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Willtron

@Sargus said:

@moywar700 said:

This, essentially.

The only argument I can see for video games as literature is making a case for text adventures--as stated before, God damn.

And excuse my ignorance, but it takes a bit of coding to get novels in a format that eBooks can read. So could the same argument be made for a text adventure? It's in the way you present it, to me, more so than actually 'playing' a 'traditional' video game. To me, text adventures video game equivalents of Goosebumps: Choose Your Own Adventure books. And shitty or not, those are literature. So I think an argument can be made for text adventures. Kinda.

That all said, games are literary, sure. Games are definitely art. They aren't literature.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By moywar700

@Sargus said:

@moywar700 said:

@Sargus said:

@moywar700 said:

Because literature is use of the written word more or less exclusively. Something penned by an author or authors and visible on a page -- even an electronic page. Not moving pictures, not interactive programs ...

I even take some issue with the concept of plays being literature, though they're much closer to just being spoken word books (which we have to include for the sake of works like The Odyssey, which were told orally), so I'm more likely to give them a pass, I guess.

Now, as has been said before in this thread, you could possibly make a case for a game's script being literature, but I think that would be silly -- a script isn't meant to be digested on its own. It's meant to be a tool used in the creation of a final, more artful product. It still takes a whole heck of a lot of skill to create, obviously, but it's an altogether different form of writing than, say, a novel.

Games are beautiful in that they encompass a little bit of so many art forms, from music to writing to acting to aesthetics to performance, etc. But I wouldn't call a game a piece of literature because it has great writing any more than I would call Bastion an album because it has great music.

You could maybe, mayyyyybe make a case for, say, a text adventure (a la Zork). I still personally think the interactive nature that goes into it (which requires programming, which is a separate entity than the basic writing) eliminates it from what I see as "literature," but I wouldn't argue that issue with someone too passionately.

So you don't see video games are literature because they are moving pictures and interactive?

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BrittonPeele

@moywar700: Well I'd say there's a lot more to it than that (they don't offer entire philosophy courses on things like art and aesthetics because this kind of thing is always cut and dry), but sure, if you want to be extremely simplistic.

Again, literature being, by definition, related to writing (if you wanna be all about Merriam-Webster: "writings in prose or verse"), you can in some sense have literature in a game, but it cannot be a game itself.

I mean, let's look at music. By definition, music is "the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity." Games have that, right? Some games (like Sound Shapes) are built around the entire concept!

But you would never call a game music. You say a game has music in it, or you say a game is very musical, but the game itself is not music. Music is sound -- games are much more than sound. That's part of what makes them games.

Games are also much more than writing. They can be very well written, to the point where, if the writing stood alone, you might call that writing "literature," but the game itself is not literature.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By sjschmidt93

They are, by definition, not literature. What the fuck?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Justin258

@Sargus said:

@moywar700: Well I'd say there's a lot more to it than that (they don't offer entire philosophy courses on things like art and aesthetics because this kind of thing is always cut and dry), but sure, if you want to be extremely simplistic.

Again, literature being, by definition, related to writing (if you wanna be all about Merriam-Webster: "writings in prose or verse"), you can in some sense have literature in a game, but it cannot be a game itself.

I mean, let's look at music. By definition, music is "the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity." Games have that, right? Some games (like Sound Shapes) are built around the entire concept!

But you would never call a game music. You say a game has music in it, or you say a game is very musical, but the game itself is not music. Music is sound -- games are much more than sound. That's part of what makes them games.

Games are also much more than writing. They can be very well written, to the point where, if the writing stood alone, you might call that writing "literature," but the game itself is not literature.

You've definitely got more patience than everyone else in this thread.

No, I wouldn't say that games are literature, and my reasoning lines up perfectly with Sargus's.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By moywar700

@Sargus said:

I concede.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Ace829

@Sargus: Learned something cool today. Thanks.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41  Edited By JasonR86

@moywar700 said:

@JasonR86 said:

Does it matter?

If creative writing(literature) doesn't matter to you, I guess not.

Not really what I meant. A few things by the way; creative writing does not equate to literature. Video games also do not equate to literature. But it doesn't have to be that way for either case. Also, why would it matter? So what if video games are literature? Does that make anyone's appreciation or lack thereof for video games change? I doubt it. So why should we naval gaze?

binhoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By binhoker

is poll stupid?

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

No. Sargus covered it. I'm just gonna say no.