Are you going to purchase a Retron 5?

• 57 results
Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you going to purchase a Retron 5? (354 votes)

Yes 9%
No 66%
Undecided 25%

One of my favorite parts about the recent live stream was the chance to see the Retron 5 in action. This hardware has a controversial history to it aside from any hesitancy you may have concerning emulation. The release date was bounced around at duke nukem forever level of craziness(slight hyperbole there). The company was either unwilling or unable to properly address customer questions about when the Retron 5 would come out. Reports from different sources suggest that amazon preorder customers from a year ago are still waiting for their consoles to ship. All of that could make for an interesting topic, but for the purposes of this post I would like to find out if anyone plans to get the system. For those who answer Yes, I would like to hear more about your retro gaming situation. Is the Retron 5 going to be the kick in the pants you need to begin shopping for retro games on Ebay? Maybe you maintained a good collection of old school games and feel like the system and its uprezzing options are just icing on the cake but don't have plans to actively scour ebay to support the Retron 5. Look forward to your opinion on this.

• 
TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#51  Edited By TheMasterDS

I'm surprised you found it interesting. I found it to simply be an easier way to play most of the retro games they've played on previous streams time in and time out. The Steam stream a week back was more novel.

Will I buy one? Of course not, the Virtual Consoles & occasional rereleases are way better for playing most of the retro games I want to play.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By flameboy84

I've decided to go for the Retrobit Trio for now, need a solution and a think the console on a chip is much better. Looking at AV to HDMI boxes to make that a bit easier. The Retron 5 is too expensive and the firmware is too temperamental.

Victorboris1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While it's a very interesting gadget, I just emulate games on my PC if I feel like playing anything old. Though I'd certainly buy if I had any money laying around.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

I must crazy-lucky because my Retron 5 isn't giving me the grief I'm reading about from others. Carts go in and pull back out easily, sound is fine, the controller...works (yeah, it's not great, but I have original NES, SNES, and Genesis controllers, so fuck it), and every game I've played has worked well.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By TooSweet

I actually own all my old video game consoles (along with games) but dragging them out individually to hook them up to a HDTV is a pain. I can't even hook up most of them as I only have the RF Adapter for them. So being able to hook something up via HDMI is pretty great.

I didn't have the issue Jeff seemed to be having getting it to recognize carts. I definitely had to re-seat games on occasion but it has been pretty good. I think something could be wrong with his console. His other complaints however I find to be totally valid:

- The controller that comes with it is garbage.

- Pulling cartridges out takes way too much effort, feels like you might crack the cartridge in half trying to rip it out.

- You have to hold the power button like 5 seconds before it will turn on. When I first got my system I thought it was defective for about 20 minutes before I figured this out.

- Would be nice if I could connect on the internet to update system instead of using SD card.

I just wish I could play Atari 2600 games on it but besides that I'm pretty happy with it. Being able to plug a SNES controller in and play a Genesis game (and vice versa) I think is pretty awesome. All the save state stuff is awesome. Being able to mess with options on the fly is great. It is definitely a cool product that would benefit from some minor iterations but the past few weeks I have been playing Shining Force and that is great.

Same on all of the above but I had a couple of games not work. I do have the update to put in so they will hopefully work after that. I picked mine up a few weeks back at Video Games New York but due to renovations at home didn't plug it in until recently. So far so good overall. In all I'm still loving my old games that I've been replaying. Especially the Mega Man series which is still fun. My reflexes suck on Super Mario Bros but slowly getting that back. I do want to pick up a few titles I missed back in the day such as the Goemon games and the sequels to Kid Nikki Radical Ninja.

gabbadeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By gabbadeus
Avatar image for anonymous-poster
Anonymous-poster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possibly not. But this does look interesting.