Are you kinda glad this year’s holiday lineup is weak?

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By braves01

Poll Are you kinda glad this year’s holiday lineup is weak? (71 votes)

Yes 41%
No 35%
Maybe 24%

I feel like it’s a blessing in disguise most of this year’s big AAA games were mediocre or got delayed.

I started AC Odyssey last year but plan on finishing it this holiday since nothing better came out and saving the cash I’d normally spend on new games. It’s nice to have a year to “catch up” without really missing anything.

Anyone else feel this way?

• 
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Your premise is an opinion...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I haven't been playing many games of late. I've gotten worn out on the general mediocrity of games writing and nothing is super compelling to me. So I was kind of hoping there would be something to pull me back in this holiday season, but there really doesn't seem to be. Which is good for my wallet. I'm thinking I should get Outer Wilds as that sounds like a novel experience that takes advantage of the medium and isn't just poorly rehashing story ideas that other mediums have already done far better.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only holiday game I'm interested in is Wattam. Can't wait to befriend a sentient toilet just in time for Christmas.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, because I don't suffer from FOMO when it comes to games, especially single-player games (multiplayer is more complicated because you really can miss out.) If a bunch of amazing games come out when I don't have time to play them all then I can play them at a later date, and the more good stuff I have to choose from the better. I didn't get around to playing 2018's God of War last year...but I played it this year and it was spectacular and I loved it. I never finished the 2016 Doom...but I'm going through the back half of the campaign right now and it's absolutely great.

You don't have to spend the money to play the hottest newest releases. They will eventually become discounted older releases that are likely still worth your time in a couple years. There's a ton of stuff this generation that I still want to get to and some of it I never will...and that's okay. I would rather be spoiled by choice than not have anything to play.

That being said I'm not exactly upset about the semi-weak holiday (It's not like it's a disaster; there's still a fair amount of good stuff that came out) because I have such a huge backlog. So I'm not happy about it per se, but it's not exactly tearing me up.

It's pretty common for the last holiday before a generation turnover to be relatively weak. If you look at 2012, there were definitely good games (as there are this year) but not a ton of huge heavy hitters. A lot of studios are prepping stuff for next year and coming to terms with new hardware. I'm pretty sure that's why we don't have a new Forza game, for example.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don’t usually have a ton of time to play games. I might go weeks at a time without touching one, when I’m busy. So a lull to catch-up is appreciated.

I could play no new releases until the new hardware comes out band be totally fine.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By haneybd87

I feel like all the holiday games came out in October and November instead, of which there are a crapload and I’ll need the holidays and then some to get through. Also, I don’t feel like this years AAA games were mediocre. This year has been jam packed full of great games and I really don’t understand this sentiment going around that it’s been a light year for good games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Let's say I would have been content if Doom was pushed to say December for some odd reason. As it stands, ehh, well I got games to play thanks to Game Pass but I dunno, I was really looking forward to Doom capping off the year for me and now it feels a bit like the end of 2019 is slowly coming to an end instead of going out with a bang.

So am I happy that there are less major releases? Not really I guess. It's not a terrible thing to happen but I'm not really sighing with relief either.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never understand people saying there are too many good games coming out. I mean... you don't *have* to play them...

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Other than Doom, I'm fine with it. This was a pretty off year for me overall post-MK11 (well, okay, Borderlands 3 isn't nothing), so I do wish there were a couple more bangers that interested me, but it's alright. 2020 is looking smoking hot so far, after all.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't understand this... Isn't it always best if every month great games come out? Then you build a backlog and play through them when you have time?

I've got Deathstranding, Pokemon Sword and Control all still to play through whilst I'm currently playing Outerworlds and Luigis Mansion 3.

Keep the good games coming i say!

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There have been very few games all year I have been interested in, but that usually is the case when new consoles are on the way.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll have to assume by "holiday" you mean December because several good games have released the past two months.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately for me WoW Classic came along and pretty much ruined all my plans. There has been several games coming out that I was really looking forward to (can't believe I haven't even touched the Monster Hunter expansion), but Vanilla WoW is still as much of a time hog that it was back then.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By BoOzak

What are you talking about? Shenmue 3 just came out TODAY! How dare you!! ...Yeah the holidays might be a bit weak...

(my rage was fake, in case it wasnt clear, but I am actually looking forward to Shemue 3, as shoddy as it looks)

I'm never happy for a weak month or year of games since I can play them whenever, bring 'em on. I can see the appeal of playing something day 1 and talking about it with people but I feel like there are a lot of games where there isnt much to say, case and point there are a bunch of middling souls clones i'll get to eventually (code vein, surge 2, fallen order) but I dont feel like I missed out on anything by waiting and I wouldnt want to pay full price for them anyway.

(I was tempted with Shenmue 3 but I feel like its going to go on sale quickly...)

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It’s funny. I’m not huge into Resident Evil. I bounced off DMCV. Sekiro didn’t really call to me. Anthem was a mess. Division 1 lost me as it evolved so I ignored Division 2, Metro, Crackdown, and Days Gone were largely seen as bummers. Death Stranding was divisive. Fallen Order sounds like it could have been fantastic, but there’s some bugs to clean.

There are a lot of games that I either bounced off of, didn’t care to spend time with, or otherwise were received more negatively than expected (and Fallen Order is probably a stretch, here).

But I still had a ton of fun with Control, MK11, Remnant, After Party, Bloodstained, Gears 5 (please, no open worlds next time), Outer Worlds and other great games.

I feel like there were more misses than hits, but there are so many games that it’s totally fine.