• 61 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Poll Are you ready for next gen consoles? (188 votes)

Bring em on! 54%
I'm fine with what we have. 46%

On the Beastcast today they all seemed pretty not into next gen to happening next year. I personally disagree with them and am ready for new console hardware, and now I'm wondering what the general sentiment is around this. So are you ready for 8k streaming with instant load times and ray tracing cloud based physics delivered in a subscription? Or are you content to use the boxes we have for another few years?

• 
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#1 fisk0  Moderator

Kinda, yeah. I found the current gen really underwhelming right there from the start, and these new consoles seem to do the things I expected the PS4/Xone to handle so many years after the PS3/360. Backwards compatibility and improved lighting were absolutely things I was expecting after the PS3.

I never ended up buying either the PS4 or the Xbox One, since I kept waiting for the new, really interesting stuff to happen once developers had figured the hardware out, but which never seemed to happen.

At this point, I probably won't pick up the next gen consoles either, since I don't really see a need for consoles anymore, but at least the new ones seem to offer the basic features that the current gen lacked.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll get the PS5 at launch, not sure about the Xbox whatevertheyendupcallingit. Sony have been killing it with their first party games. Even relative duds like Days Gone and Detroit: Become Human were decent single player games devoid of all the shitty monetization you see from most AAA games.

Gamepass is great though and Microsoft have been pretty good with backwards compatability, even enhancing older games for free, which I hope Sony end up doing but I have my doubts.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nah, not really. But part of that is definitely my great disinterest in every buzz phrase they've thrown out to hype up next gen. Oooh 8k! Never before seen fps (120!) Streaming!

Ultimately I end up thinking about how small the adoption rate of 4k still is, how internet infrastructure just isn't ready for HD game streaming for so many people, and how consoles STILL can't give me games that run at 1080p at 60fps as standard and wonder why they feel the need to move the goalposts again when they haven't even reached the last ones.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

When the pitch for the next gen is faster loading times, when that's what the platform holders are boasting about, we've reached a critical point in diminishing returns.

I'm still playing PS2-4 games and very occasionally even play PS1 and SNES era games so I personally would be happy if everything slowed down a little. Developers are more limited by their creativity and technical know-how than by hardware power at this point so I'm not clamoring for stronger hardware.

The 360/PS3 era soured me on the realities of AAA development and the cost of better visual fidelity. I just don't have the same desire for new consoles as I did years ago. When the PS4/XBO came out, 360 and PS3 were actually old as hell. With the refreshes, this gen of consoles really don't feel that old.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I bought a PS4 Pro back in January, so no.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nutter

Sure, I guess. I think I could live on Xbox One X and PS4 for quite a while, but if there are cool new offerings, why not?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: idk, loading times arent a sexy feature, but as someone who recently played the Witcher 3 on a Ps4 Pro, quicker loading times would be fantastic.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean I suppose if it means all the current gen games will plummet down in price then sure.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I'm hopeful that the new Ryzen CPUs will let the developers flex a bit this time around. Putting those low-end CPUs into the PS4/X1 was a massive mistake right from the start.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there was a "Sure bring them on but I probably won't buy one " option I'd choose that. I'm more likely to get into retro gaming than buy a next gen console but I'd still be intrigued to see what the future may hold. Since mid-cycle refreshes don't seem to be going away I guess I'll wait for the inevitable PS5 Pro.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrGreenMan

I'm more interested to see what the next version of the Switch will be more than anything else. Most modern consoles are just boring and not interesting at all. If faster loading times and slightly better graphics is all they can promise, then I have absolutely no interest.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Got a Ps4 pro less than a year ago. Have a ton of games I've yet to play too. So, not particularly. It is cool to see what the industry does with new consoles though. That part is exciting.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm kind of still waiting for current gen games to catch up. Seems like each year there is a sprinkling of solid titles but not a whole lot of era defining entries like we had in the 360/PS3 generation. This is also due to the fact that this generation a lot of games are sequels or reboots of games from the previous one.

I've been saying this for a while and it's just as true now: we currently need better games, not better hardware. Give me a reason to actually care about better graphics because this generation was/is alright but nothing ground breaking.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This gen feels pretty lame to me. 2019 was the only good year, so the value of my X1 and PS4 doesn't feel as high as my 360 and PS3. This gen lacks classics on the level of Bioshock, Mass Effect, GTA, TLAU, Gears (they went downhill after 3), and so on.

If the new gen actually brings fundamental game changes like little to no loading, always 60 to 120 frames, better animation, etc then I'm for it, but if it's just more of the same I don't care as much.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Last generation, I said that I was just going to stick with PC and maybe get a Nintendo Switch. Well, I got a Switch, and I got a really good PC. I also somehow wound up with a PS4 and Xbox One that I barely play. I also spent a lot of time throughout this generation replaying old favorites or just digging into old games in general.

Considering how many freaking games I have on PC that I've never played, how little I've played the current consoles, and how often I play games that are years old... I'd like to say that I'm going to just stick with PC and not purchase any of the new consoles (except for Nintendo's next thing). But I'm probably going to wind up with a PS5 at the halfway point of next generation anyway. If Microsoft sticks with putting things on PC and Xbox, then I seriously doubt I'll get the newest Xbox - but Microsoft has made promises to support PC gaming better in the past and that's never panned out all that well.

This gen feels pretty lame to me. 2019 was the only good year, so the value of my X1 and PS4 doesn't feel as high as my 360 and PS3. This gen lacks classics on the level of Bioshock, Mass Effect, GTA, TLAU, Gears (they went downhill after 3), and so on.

There were some fantastic games this generation, though. Bethesda Softworks put out some mediocre games, but Bethesda published some great stuff - Doom, Prey, all three Wolfenstein games, and Dishonored 2 being some major highlights for this generation as far as I'm concerned. The Witcher 3 gets mentioned all the time for good reason, and Divinity Original Sin 2 is an excellent CRPG even if I never could find the time to actually finish it. A lot of people loved MGSV and God of War as well. This generation wasn't without its big-name, hugely popular, extremely memorable classics.

But all of the innovation and progress in the AAA space seems to have focused on multiplayer stuff. Rainbow Six: Siege started off a little wonky but has become a huge game. All of the big publishers really want their Destiny-like game that people play pretty much in perpetuity (a bit ironic, then, that Activision agreed to get rid of what is arguably the most successful MMO-lite loot-shooter thing out there). The darker side of this is the whole loot box/microtransaction bullshit - that really grew and got bigger and bigger. EA's really pushing that one as much as possible. And it's the one topic that makes this generation feel like one long slog to me, even though it wasn't - hearing at seemingly every turn how everything with a big budget is really about trying to milk more money out of me after the initial purchase.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gundato

To the extent that I think I am smarter now and won't get either as a launch console (got PS4 at launch. Don't regret it, but should have waited): Sure?

I know we are expecting a PS5 and an X2Pi, but this still feels closer to the PS4Pro and XBONEX in terms of "a leap forward". Especially as I am a lot more interested in the MS ecosystem and that is already spreading in to the PC space a fair amount.

I'm sure we'll get a sudden announcement of Armored Core 6 for the PS5 and I'll immediately drive to Best Buy to grab one (like an idiot). But for now I don't see any major stuff that I need NOW that I don't expect to also get a PC release.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The half step consoles and "you can just stream it" are really throwing things off for me. I'll find it hard to justify new and expensive hardware just because of its "new". Maybe if the half steps had another year on them, but they feel like they are barely out.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Deathstriker

@justin258: I know I'm in the minority, but I liked Witcher 2 way more than Witcher 3. The latter game peaks early with the baron storyline and everything after that isn't as good. It also lacks a main villain while Witcher 2 had a very good one. I didn't like Doom or Wolfenstein. God of War and Red Dead are the only "must play" games of this gen IMO. There were some other really good games like Spider-Man or Zero Dawn, but they're not on that classic level. I liked MGSV until the lame ass twist and the story/campaign was never even completed.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: it may peak with the baron, and I hear that said alot as though the rest of the game/story is of low quality when infact Witcher 3s story lows are higher than 99% of other games. Also, only two must plays of this generation? I certainly am not attacking your opinion but I certainly do not understand it. What standards must you go by to only have 2 "must plays"????

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheFlamingo352

I've only recently thought I'd say I'm ready for new consoles, but as an owner of a base PS4, it's starting to get really frustrating how shit framerates get on newer games. BFV gets slow enough to screw up my aim, and big open world titles have pretty shocking hitches and popin on textures.

I hate that AAA developers seem to be treating upgraded consoles like the Pro and X as the standard (so ads and demos look better).

If Sony and Microsoft enforced more decent optimisation standards maybe I wouldn't be as eager for new consoles, but also that wouldn't make as much money. So in the words of Reggie: Fuck 'em.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: With you on Witcher 2 vs 3. Witcher 2 blended the medieval political intrigue with the fantasy in such a perfect way, Witcher 3 meandered, had bad pacing, and a large majority of it was pretty generic fantasy with a big Sauron looking dude looking for a McGuffin.

Back on topic, I think it's time for new ones, but I'm also totally fine with what we have for another year. The mid cycle refresh that happened helped a lot, and even though next year is certainly when the new consoles start coming out, I think Sony could stand to stretch out into 2021. Microsoft less so, their lack of big exclusives is a problem, and I'd have to assume anything that's on it's way now is going to be for the next console, so getting that out next year is important. Sony has time though, as long as they announce before Microsoft releases, they can stand to be second to market, they still have 2 big exclusives with no release date on the horizon.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I voted no here, but that's because I play a lot of stuff on the PC and I'm not an early adopter of hardware. I would say that of any console generation, the current one is definitely the one I've put the most time into, but I'm still more likely to buy and play games on the PC.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted yes, but also no. Yes because yay new stuff, no because I'm cool with the current gen still and I don't actually want to BUY a new console right now. (I know I don't have to either way, but how long will that temptation resistance last? I like shiny new vidja systems)

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Absofugginlutely duuuudes! I bought a PS4 back at the original launch. And it felt like I had that thing for a long time and got plenty of use out of it when I bought the Pro at launch. And again, I've used it a lot, it's my primary platform of choice despite having a PC, and it feels like it's been awhile since the Pro released. Wish it was coming this fall.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By Nodima

Not at all. I'm still blown away by games released on these consoles, and I look at the next generation of consoles as the moment I'll have to get a new TV to fully enjoy, and while a cursory search reveals 50" 1080p screens have become very affordable compared to a few years ago, I'm still pretty damn satisfied with 720p. I went kicking and screaming into the HD era in 2012, so most of my PS3-era memories are in a beautiful, 22" 480i haze. I've been one step behind graphics wise (or many steps behind if we bring PCs into it) since the switch to HD, and I'm not in any way dissatisfied with how games currently look or run on my baseline PS4.

When they put out a PS5, I will buy it, but I don't have any urgent need for it. Will I be happy when my games look and run better than they currently do? Of course, I'm no idiot. But I recognize a satisfied me when I am that me, and that me I am today.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more ready to finally upgrade my PC from a gtx 970 and i5-2500k. Just waiting for those gpu prices to get back to normal or relatively normal. Any day now, I'm sure...

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#27 FinalDasa  Moderator

Yes? No. Maybe.

I have a launch PS4 and Xbone and both are in need of upgrades. Both have their own odd quirks or just simply feel long in the tooth. The Xbox takes forever to boot up along with the myriad of loading issues and the PS4 disc drive gave up on life years ago.

I'd really not like to shell out $400+ just to keep up with games but both consoles have been around long enough I think it's time to give everything a boost.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I disagree to an extent. I feel this generation was a lot of perfecting the ideas of last gen, and then building and subverting them. Breath of the Wild, RDR 2, MGS V are three of my all time favorite games and part of that is because of how they built or subverted the open world formula that was started last gen.

Also Indie games really blew up this gen and filled the B-game void of last gen. and offered a lot of novel experiences that just weren't there last gen.

I do agree that tech wise there weren't a ton of games doing things that seem impossible from last gen but I think that has more to do with what's in vogue design wise and you can't really pin that against the hardware as it's more just the industry as a whole.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NTM

Yes, I'm ready. Definitely ready. We're getting to the point that PC is way overpowering consoles and a console like base Xbox One is falling way behind. I'm not saying that I assume consoles will be on a high-end PC level, but things like ray tracing and 4k should be a thing on consoles coinciding with PCs. I know ray tracing is still not totally standard for PC gaming, but it will be really soon here, and if we stuck to current-gen for even a few more years it'd just get old in my opinion. I also want to say, as much as I liked a lot of the games from this-gen, there was pretty much no exclusive to any of the consoles that excelled over the experience I got from the best (or, my favorite) from last-gen or the gen before that. So in a way, this generation was kind of disappointing, but not bad.

I'm ready to move onto more powerful tech that'll allow developers to create more impressive games. I really like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and it hasn't been that long since I've had them (obviously considering they more or less just came out), but I'm already ready for another upgrade. I just hope they don't release a PS5 Pro or Scarlett X soon after that. The game that probably impressed me most was Spider-Man on PS4 Pro over its base model and is perhaps the game that makes me want next-gen most. OH! Not at all interested in streaming. Get that out of the way. My want for new consoles is also helped with the fact that (unlike the Pro and X which was all me), I have someone else that wants the consoles and will help in buying them so the cost of them isn't as big an issue.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, I'm ready for them to come out in late 2020. I think what is being proposed for Xbox and PS5 is enough of a jump to make 2020 a fine time to launch.

hughj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hughj

The contributing factors to what caused this past generation to feel underwhelming on launch (the plateauing of Dennard Scaling and Moore's Law) are going to be felt even more so this coming generation, albeit in different areas. The tightening of the belts this past generation resulted in a low wattage CPU to focus more on GPU, while this generation looks to flip that. In either case it's still not going to feel like a generational leap as we were accustomed to during the 80s, 90s and early 00s where clock speeds, transistor budget, memory capacity, bus width, etc were all seeing an order of magnitude leap every cycle.

Going from the PS3 -> PS4 -> PS5 did not and will not revolutionize existing genres or make previously infeasible ideas suddenly feasible. The performance jumps on the order of 1.5x, 2x, or 3x that we're seeing now are great for refining the quality of experience of existing forms of content (it perhaps allows you to execute on a handful of things that weren't quite performant enough last go-round) but it's not a revolutionary jump that's effectively a blank cheque for a designer to do things that have never been done before. Those days of seeing across-the-board 10x to 100x increases in performance every 5 years are over, and with that the expectations people have about how the industry works, releases products, markets them, and ultimately generates revenue are going to have to adjust. Same thing goes for smartphones, PCs, and any other industry where revenue has been directly tied to what the semiconductor fabs were delivering. These circumstances are reflected by the waning enthusiasm for electronics trade shows like CES and E3 as the products showcased there no longer feel like a glimpse at the future. There is no equivalent of rubber ducks in a bath tub to get your imagination churning if the new hardware can only provide 25% more ducks.

In a backwards sort of way, the fact that the next batch of hardware is going to be another incremental upgrade is precisely why the coming generation will continue to break from tradition -- the industry has to adapt to this new norm by finding new ways to operate and generate revenue. This past generation we saw mid-cycle hardware upgrades, price tiered content SKUs, loot boxes, and games-as-services as new routine revenue streams, and there's probably going to be even more examples of that in the coming cycle.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Eff ya!

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Hardware is something I don't really care about, I care about games. I understand the /need/ for better hardware, but all your 8k billion FPS talk isn't why I play games. They can look bad and occasionally be buggy or perform bad, but in my case, I care about that stuff last. I just want a game that's fun or interesting, doesn't require an obscene amount of labor to make and is mechanically sound.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope nope nope.

I don't feel like enough games really pushed the limits of the hardware this generation. Hell, only a handful even featured 4K HDR. The PS4 Pro and One X haven't been around long enough to have a bunch of games developed with their capabilities in mind, so it is too soon for me. I'm not particularly excited about the streaming/subscription future, either, and 8K is a case of really diminishing returns. I'd rather see them wait 2-3 years for games and television to start standardizing at 4K HDR (at least HDR), because 4K and/or HDR adoption in terms of TV sets is at least somewhat out there at present. I have zero interest in buying both a new console and an 8K-capable TV next fall, nor do I really want to have to upgrade to fiber internet so streaming gaming is viable or pay someone like MS a monthly fee to stream from the cloud. My current 4K HDR TV and Xbox One X are both awesome, so I'd much prefer to see some development for that tech that's still very much ahead of the curve unless compared with beastly PC gaming rigs and the very latest, highest-end 2019 TVs, and I just don't see these things being rendered technologically obsolete in the next 13-14 months at all.

It's an upgrade for the sake of upgrade, IMO. It seems like we've reached a point where they're just chasing spec benchmarks. "It can do 8K!" Awesome, the 0.1 % of households with an 8K set are happy to hear it. Except there's pretty much zero 8K content being made, and not even that much 4K content yet outside of some scattered Amazon and Netflix stuff. The infrastructure has fallen behind the tech. You have to have some pretty solid internet to stream in 4K as of right now. I'm extremely skeptical about the viability of 8K streaming. The content isn't there and most internet will struggle mightily delivering it. Moreover, even 4K was approaching territory of being overkill that isn't actually that much more noticeably great, and 8K is further down that path. So...what's the need for the next gen again? Oh, load times. Right. I can wait fifteen fucking seconds, guys. I am not some petulant child needing everything NOW NOW NOW. It's just not a big deal.

The refrain on console life cycles of late has continually referenced smartphone upgrade cycles, which is sadly coming true. Phones arguably peaked about five years ago, yet people are dropping a grand every year or two for a "new" phone that pretty much only offers a marginally better camera. Fuck that shit. Yet here we are with consoles trending that way rapidly. That we're apparently supposed to get amped about the mere capability of a borderline useless resolution and faster load times speaks for itself. I don't want consoles utilizing the bullshit "planned obsolescence" strategy, but it's inevitable. I'm really glad MS actually seems to care about backwards compatibility, because that at least gives me some hope that they won't easily sunset the "old" stuff to where it can't be used anymore. That said, who MS is when they need to build goodwill and who they are when they don't are two different things. I'm far from sold on Sony's actual commitment to BC as well.

I don't like how we're quietly losing ownership of things. I was on board with the shift away from physical media, but I kinda hate the idea of being beholden to multiple subscriptions with games I "own" potentially being made unavailable on a whim. I simply do not trust that MS, Sony, whoever will not be tempted to actively make things not work on an "old" system to try and increase adoption of the "new system!!!" This next generation that doesn't really need to exist yet is a half-step in that direction. It's setting up an ecosystem of dependence where you pay the same place for your gaming subscription, your hardware, your internet, etc. Guess what? Now they own your ass. It's how Apple made billions upon billions. It's fucked, but it works. People say, "well, all of my stuff is here, I can't change now" and just accept throwing money at incremental trash that arrives far before the end of the actual useful life of its predecessor.

In a world where content was typically 4K/HDR, my TV was noticeably inferior to new sets, and my Xbox One X was struggling to run games, bring on the upgrade. In this actual world, 4K HDR content is minimal and you can't even count on new games to feature one or both, my TV is more than capable of beautifully displaying available high-end content, and the only game that feels like it taxes my One X even a little bit is Forza Horizon 4. Yet in just over a year, I'm apparently supposed to drop $3-5K on a new 8K TV, $500ish on a new console, an additional $30-50ish a month on either better internet or cloud streaming, a $15/month console game subscription fee, probably another $30ish for other publishers' game subscription fees as everyone dives further into this lovely model, plus whatever games I want that don't end up on a subscription service. Yeah, let me go ahead and drop $3500 to $5500 on the next-gen from the outset and commit to well over $1K/year in requisite periphery. All this so I can have less control over my stuff and sit around hoping they don't make a Xbox Two X in 2022 or so to repeat the cycle again.

I guess I'm different, though. I'm not a bit unhappy with this generation. Titanfall 1 & 2, multiple awesome Forza games, HITMAN 1 & 2, Rocket League, Wolfenstein, and Battlefield 1 & V are all among the best games I've ever played, and I still need to take on several of the "must-plays" like RDR 2, The Witcher 3, etc. There's also a pretty damn good argument that publishers haven't maxed out this hardware yet. On top of that, a strong case can be made against the "need" for new hardware based on the questionable real-world viability of the new features and the arguably insidious shift to unnecessarily brief smartphone-esque life cycles and subscription-based gaming that probably leaves us all worse off.

So, yeah. The TL;DR is that it's too soon. The One X and PS4 Pro aren't remotely dated, nor is 4K/HDR as a technology. The next generation will really only provide a near-worthless resolution and address a very minor annoyance in load times, while creating multiple artificial barriers that will increase the price and hassle of gaming without improving it much, if at all.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think people realize just how outdated current console tech is. Given time with new hardware and the games that come with it I see people forgetting they were ever worried.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, but doesn't mean I wont get the new one(s) anyways

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Justin258

@notnert427: Keep in mind the developers aren't working with the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro as baseline consoles. They're working with the original 2013 console releases, which very much are out of date. They can't even consistently do 1080p30 and many people considered them out of date when they launched. The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are where this gen should have started.

Edit: Although this 8K nonsense can fuck right off, I haven't even purchased a 4k TV yet.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Casepb

I am not. I will probably get a PS5 in 2022.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By notnert427

@justin258 said:

@notnert427: Keep in mind the developers aren't working with the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro as baseline consoles. They're working with the original 2013 console releases, which very much are out of date. They can't even consistently do 1080p30 and many people considered them out of date when they launched. The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are where this gen should have started.

Edit: Although this 8K nonsense can fuck right off, I haven't even purchased a 4k TV yet.

Well, that's also kinda why the One X and PS4 Pro needed to exist. If all we had were the launch PS4 and Xbox One, then yeah, it would be time for the next generation. The One X isn't even two years old yet, though, and neither MS nor Sony's next gen console seem necessary right now. Publishers still haven't mastered 4K HDR yet, 4K HDR television content is far from abundant, and as you stated, consumer adoption is also still getting there on 4K HDR displays. Yet we're skipping to 8K? What? Why?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Justin258

@notnert427: What I mean is that the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were advertised as better versions of this generation of consoles, with the promise that every game would still be playable on the base versions. Nobody should be measuring how much longer this generation has by the X/Pro - they should be measuring it by the base consoles because developers have to meet those original standards and then update for the X/Pro, much like they have to do for PC ports.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By notnert427

@justin258 said:

@notnert427: What I mean is that the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were advertised as better versions of this generation of consoles, with the promise that every game would still be playable on the base versions. Nobody should be measuring how much longer this generation has by the X/Pro - they should be measuring it by the base consoles because developers have to meet those original standards and then update for the X/Pro, much like they have to do for PC ports.

Fair point, but scaling is inevitable in this day and age. I'd have a lot more sympathy if a bunch of games were actually hitting the limits of what the X/Pro are capable of and running into issues making those same games work on the base One and PS4. That isn't happening, though, and many of them are already scaling games below the base One and PS4 for Switch ports anyway. It appears that we're getting a relative dearth of late-gen games because publishers know the next generation is coming soon and they've decided just to wait on that. Meanwhile, issues that should be getting ironed out now like borked HDR aren't being mastered and standardized like they should be, so the current console tech capabilities are somewhat going to waste. And now the industry is apparently going to double down on wasted tech by trying to shift to 8K before 4K HDR is even really off and running.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I still have yet to get a PS4/Xbox One, so...sure? No?

I mean, I'm several years behind, so maybe my opinion is pretty irrelevant here.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258 said:

Fair point, but scaling is inevitable in this day and age. I'd have a lot more sympathy if a bunch of games were actually hitting the limits of what the X/Pro are capable of and running into issues making those same games work on the base One and PS4. That isn't happening, though, and many of them are already scaling games below the base One and PS4 for Switch ports anyway. It appears that we're getting a relative dearth of late-gen games because publishers know the next generation is coming soon and they've decided just to wait on that. Meanwhile, issues that should be getting ironed out now like borked HDR aren't being mastered and standardized like they should be, so the current console tech capabilities are somewhat going to waste. And now the industry is apparently going to double down on wasted tech by trying to shift to 8K before 4K HDR is even really off and running.

I'd have a lot more sympathy if a bunch of games were actually hitting the limits of what the X/Pro are capable of

But if they did that, then those games wouldn't be playable on the base consoles. I know, I keep talking about those, but Sony and MS both said that every game would still run on the base consoles in a playable state. They could change their minds about that and stretch this generation out for a few more years and piss off a whole lot of customers who still have base consoles... or they could release new consoles, not piss off a bunch of customers, and make plenty of money from people who either have bottomless pockets or didn't spring for the upgrade. It doesn't matter that you upgraded and are feeling a bit shorted - this is just how it is right now. The limits of the base consoles are the limits of this generation. People were complaining about the limited power of the Xbox One and PS4 before they even came out. And you can only scale up and down so much before the stuff on the bottom is just an unplayable mess of bad framerates and compromises that no one really wants to see.

For the record, I do think the technical aspects of this generation have been a mess. Native 1080p rendering at 30FPS or more should have been the baseline at the beginning of this generation. And by that I mean actual 1080p, not upscaling, and actual 30FPS, not "target 30 and hope it makes it there sometimes". Mid-generation upgrades shouldn't have even been a necessity to reach that.

On the topic of anything being able to keep up with 8K displays... nah. Graphics cards in PC's only just now got to the point where they can reliably do 4K at 60+ FPS, so if we do actually get games that output at 8K on consoles, they'll likely be using the same kind of tricks that the PS4/Xbox One X use to get 4K (checkerboarding, upscaling, stuff like that). While I do really dislike the idea of being asked to buy an 8K TV when I don't even own anything that can push 4K yet (my PC can but I'm not sacrificing framerate), I don't think it will be necessary for quite some time.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have zero interest in PS5 or (?) Xbox Two. I'm very happy with my PS4 Pro. I'm not much of a videophile, so without a full home theater setup I don't know that I would notice that much of a difference between the current and next generation. Games like God of War are already almost photo-realistic. I don't look at a game like that and think it needs more polygons. I can already every leaf of every bush rendered in detail - I don't need to see every molecule. I'd much rather developers focus on innovative gameplay and story than spend all their resources on higher-definition assets. The updated hardware hasn't made any difference to gameplay since 2006 or so, as far as I can tell.

I would be interested in a Switch 2. Many games on the Switch already look great to me, but it'd be pretty cool to see PS4-level visuals on a handheld. But it probably won't happen for many years, and I'm totally happy with that.

aerithlives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't really feel like we'll see something dramatically better than what we have right now. Have developers really tapped out the current gen? I like it when console gens last for 8-10 years. You really see the developers learning a console and getting the best out of it by the end. It feels like we're in the middle of this gen and already they're talking about launching the next. It's being driven by Microsoft which failed with the Xbox One. If it wasn't for Scarlett would Sony be rushing the PS5? Certainly not.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I guess you can argue about diminishing returns and how much new specs will really spur gameplay innovation, but yeah I'm ready, certainly in another year and change. I might not go out and get one Day 1 but the base consoles are getting pretty dated at this point.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Teddie

They haven't shown much, but none of the selling points they've gone into so far make me want to shell out another $500 yet. Maybe that'll change if they have an exceptional launch lineup but eh... I can stick with current gen for a while.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as everything I buy from now on works going forward they can release new consoles whenever and I'll buy them whenever.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that the tech is outdated but these leaps feel to minor after the Xbox360/ps3 Era, it feels like we a hit a wall and the only thing that could go up are the frames and the resolution. You could play OG Crysis on a PC today and it still looks good/current gen and that's a game from 2007.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I'm ready.