As A GB Fan, I Gotta Say That The Last 2 Years Haven't Been Great

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By HairyMike87

It's been a while since there was something along the lines of the Two Human video, but from what I'm seeing is that some people are in a transitioning phase in their life. Ryan is getting married, Vinny has a kid, Patrick got married, being in the GameSpot offices dealing with corporate stuff and not having too much time to make stupid videos and so on. As immature as they are, some other things in their private and professional lives could be shaping their actions at GB going forward. Not saying that this is accurate, but just what I have been observing and it's not a bad thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@Tennmuerti the tutorial stuff drives me nuts. They constantly (Patrick especially) talk about how they hate being told the basic controls and ignore both tutorials and cutscenes that provide context for your actions, and then almost immediately go "the game has buttons it doesn't tell you about, and why am I even here it never explains itself!" Drives me crazy everytime.

For others with the 'its the industry's fault that they're jaded!' there's a pretty simple course of logic that says you can't control what others do, you can only control your reaction. If you think being jaded and sighing into your microphone is the best content you can deliver, I guess that's your decision. If you think trying to exacerbate any flaw in a game because you don't like how popular it is is useful, by all means.

And for anyone who says "if you don't like it, then stop watching" I hope the next time that a game comes out that you don't like, or someone releases DLC that you want, but overprices it, I hope you go "if I don't like it, I'll stop playing games!" But of course you won't. You'll go to the forums and complain. And then when someone complains about the staff you'll go "you can't do that..!"
neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By neurotic

If you really want a member of staff to read this, you should PM them with it. I'm sure they can take criticism.

I should preface by saying I only joined the site at the beginning of the year so I have no lingering memories of the 'halcyon' Whiskey Media days.

I don't agree about the entertaining thing but that is very subjective. I also don't really care about them being misinformed in some QLs. That is inevitable in games that they only play for an hour or so (let's face it, with most of the games they only play as much as they play in the QL). Also, the point is to show off the game, to let the game do the talking. You might say that whoever is playing should talk less in that case and I wouldn't entirely disagree but then people would complain that QLs aren't as entertaining. Another option seems to be to have Vinny on every QL since it appears everyone on the site loves him and he can do no wrong.

Yes, they are jaded but I'd rather they be jaded than pretend to be super excited about every new release and be disingenuous. Also, anyone who complains about Patrick but also about jadedness (I know you didn't do this, don't worry) is supremely misguided. Patrick is obviously the most enthusiastic member of the team. Your issue seems to be that you don't find jadedness entertaining. I do, since this industry is quite obviously ridiculous and people take it way too seriously. I feel they are grounded and with that comes jadedness but that's the price to pay.

I would agree on points 4 and 5.

There is something premium almost every Friday and if not, then there is something earlier in the week. I think you're confusing there not being any premium content and there being no premium content you find entertaining. Again, that is entirely subjective and there are more than enough people (myself included) who do find it entertaining.

Again, I stress that I am relatively new here so you can (and I bet a few people will) discard my opinion based on that but believing that everything was better in the past is a limited viewpoint that I feel a lot of threads of this nature share. This one seems to be more reasoned but I still sense nostalgia.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By Scooper

I just find that some of the staff come across as lazy. I mean, there's guys on youtube that put up great videos daily in 1080p and they're set up well, informed and played well and sometimes we get a quicklook of Brad just walking around in a circle for 20 minutes whinging about game mechanics.

Also, what's the freaking deal with them using some crappy ass camera to do 90% of their real-life videos. Really? You couldn't get a camera that didn't look like fuzzy bullshit that has to make an huge *click* everytime you want to switch to macro mode? Really!? Come on, now.

However I think Vinny, Drew, Jeff and Dave continue to bring great excitement and joy to their videos while the others seem to act like it's a huge chore most of the time.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Catarrhal

@Vinny_Says said:

Also, clean up the office guys, it looks like a house you see on a TV special about hoarders.

The Portillo's hat should be the first thing to go. And they've got enough cardboard boxes to build a real-life Minecraft fortress. How about that for a subscriber feature?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I partially agree with the OP but I don't think it's THAT bad yet, Scoops and  Encyclopedia Bombastica are my favourite additions to the site for a long time. Sure we all love the comedy and that but one or to serious features wouldn't hurt

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#107  Edited By Blastroid

Can we get a disclaimer on the quick looks? Here I will start it:

This quick look are for entertainment purposes only. If you came here looking for a review or how to guide then you have come to the wrong video. We threw a bunch of gamers in a locked room for 1+ hours, tossed in console x, game y, and made up a drinking game. If you like that formula then great and if you don't then write a post on the forums about how the quick looks should be like every other cookie cutter gaming web site video.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By superfriend

You´re definitely on to something with the lack of enthusiasm. It can be felt just about anywhere these days and I feel like some of the other gaming sites are trying a little too hard to sound like they are excited about games.

Have you seen the GS video review of Dishonored? That one ends like a freaking ad! Or IGN´s Review for Halo 4... talk about hyping the game up to an extent it doesn´t deserve.

In a way, Giantbomb´s more muted approach is better, since it seems more sincere. They´re not trying to sell the game. But it´s a fine line they walk, and every so often it can seem like they are bashing games or just sound like they don´t give a fuck. Well, in that case I would recommend NOT recording video/QLs or whatever of the game you have NO connection to whatsoever. Or pick some of the stuff you deem interesting/fun/bad and show that off. In the case of Halo 4, why not show how stupid the spartan ops stuff gets, how they just throw enemies at you for 20 minutes and then call it a day? Why not show some of the wacky stuff you can still do in custom games? I know they´re trying to be timely with these QL´s, but honestly some of the madness in the TNT was a much better representation of the game (at least its fun side).

I honestly feel like there are too many Quicklooks. If you´re not interested in a game and have nothing good/bad/funny to say about it.. don´t quicklook it. This is not supposed to feel like you´re doing a job here.

Also, you could make a great feature if you just lumped some indie games together and made it a little indie show that would appear every 2 weeks or so. Maybe even for subscribers. Get Patrick and let him play the devils advocate trying to show these games and get Vinny or somebody in there trying to just mess those games UP! This would be something I´d watch.

Luxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By Luxus

I have read most of the posts here and i thought about writing a big thing, but then i saw:

@BionicRadd said:

I don't feel like reading this entire thread and I doubt the OP will see this, but I will just make my "view" simple; GB has never been an alternative to something like IGN for me. I don't love "Giant Bomb", I love Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny. Those 4 dudes are why I come here. Not because they offer deep, insightful thoughts on the intricacies of gaming, even though that does happen on occasion. No, I come here, because they are dudes who love games and are passionate about the hobby. It comes across in everything they say and every video I've watched. I think when GB first started and when I first started coming here in 2010, they were trying to be a site on par with the IGNs of the world, but now that they're back in the Gamespot fold, there's no need for that. Plenty of sites scratch the "all the news that's fit to televise" itch when it comes to gaming, but none of them scratch the "45 minutes talking about coffee thermoses and HAM radio" itch.

I don't get these "I've been here from the beginning, so I have a right to complain" diatribes. I've been listening to the bombcast since early 2010 and joined the site in August of that same year. So in the roughly 3 years that I've listened to these guys, nothing seems to have changed as far as what I care about. I was sucked in by 4 dudes talking about vidya games and that's still what I love.

For me Giant Bomb is the whole package. I don't care if the QLs are misinformed or if they are playing it wrong, that's called "pulling a Brad", and by God, I love Brad!

Seriously , this just seem like nitpicking, and it seems like you have a lot of problems with the site so maybe try someone else?

There are so many factors that contribute to the quality of the site and the effort of the guys. This has been a hectic year for all of them, both at work and at home. And let's be honest, there aren't that many games to get excited about, is there?

So why don't just give the guys a break instead of taking it up here? What are you hoping for?

I can understand your "beefs" with the site, but i don't agree in any way!

I have the same opinon as :

I was sucked in by 4 dudes talking about vidya games and that's still what I love.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Baillie

Nobody tells he should try finding another site to visit. This dude is a major reason why the community is head and shoulders above the rest of the gaming community.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Barrock

I'm just kinda bummed they seem to interact with the community less often.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By fattony12000

The last two years seem fine to me.

Shit, the spoiler block just deleted all those videos. DAAAAAAAAAAVE!

Bobstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Bobstar

@Bucketdeth said:

I agree with you, and I really hate to be THAT guy, but I just generally dislike any content when Patrick is involved. Also, this may sound silly, but I just feel like a lot of the content has lost the soul it used to have. I used to watch every video and read every update, I am no longer inclined to do this, and not because of a time restraint.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#114  Edited By Sooty

@McGrittles said:

Blame Klepek

+1

I don't even know why the premium membership exists anymore. I definitely won't be renewing.

Avatar image for meatdimensionfighter
meatdimensionfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any sense of a lack of enthusiasm towards game reviews, is probably the same lack of enthusiasm towards wanting to play the majority of games that have come out. Most of the games that have come out in the past 2 years has just been sequels of sequels, or just boring gameplay. A lot of franchises need to stop for a while and wait on new consoles or go back to a focus on PC use. It seems hard to get pumped for a new Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed, when the majority of the gameplay is exactly the same, the story is too derivative and can be released as essentially a map and weapon pack DLC and have the same effect. The lack of effort and enthusiasm from the publishers is starting to show, and so it is hard not to understand why the review process has become jaded and unenthusiastic.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By LikeaSsur

@GoranP said:

• The discussions and opinions presented through video, audio, and text are starting to not match the scores given to games. The most recent example of this is Halo 4. On one of the recent (if not the most recent) Bombcasts, they spend quite a big chunk of time talking about the negative aspects of the game, only to conclude that it's pretty good. This isn't the first time this has happened, and I find it baffling. Yeah, it's always easier to talk about the cons, but there should be a balance. That or give the game a lower score to reflect your opinions. What's even weirder is when the podcast discussions don't match the review text.

Edit: some folks are telling me to go to other sites, I do already. This happens to be the best one in my opinion, despite my complaints. I'm not saying the site sucks or anything. In fact, I'm glad that a site like GB exists to begin with.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here? You spent your whole post complaining about Giant Bomb, but then you do a 180 and say "But it doesn't suck!"

If you can't succeed at what you want, why should you expect others to do the same?

@GoranP said:

• This is more for 2012 than 11, but the amount of premium content has been rather poor. I'm a fan, on some level I want reasons to subscribe.

This is extremely subjective, and something I disagree with. Breaking Brad and Spookin' with Scoops are good additions to the premium content here, and I'm becoming a fan of the 2 games a night TNTs.

@GoranP said:

• The general jadedness about games and the industry has been steadily increasing. I think this point is nearly inarguable, and that comparing coverage from say 2009/10 to 2011/12 will demonstrate it. I get it, this console cycle has really gone on for too long. There are too many sequels. There is too much gross DLC. There have been six hundred Call of Duty games. The list goes on! But if the point of this site is to be humorously entertaining as well as informative, it would be unprofessional to not be entertaining. I argue that part of the staff's job is to entertain us regardless of their opinions on a specific game. To be a little more specific, a Battlefield 3 quick look full of sighs and disinterest tells me that Jeff is not stoked about that game like he was for Battlefield 2. He can also write that on Twitter. How do you make such a video with such feelings entertaining? Well, I really don't have an answer to that, that's for the staff to figure out (like they have in the 2008-2010 period). At the end of the day it's their job to do this. I know that this might sound cold hearted or that I'm an entitled prick, but that's just how it is, and I'm sure the staff would agree based on how they present themselves at least.

You're riding a fine line between "entertain us!" and "be informative!" Yes, in a perfect world, they can do both, but like you said, this console generation has run its course, and the lines between genres and franchises are blurring. It's hard to get excited when a FPS turns out to be a Call of Duty clone, or a third person game has cover mechanics. I also disagree that their main purpose is to entertain. Their main purpose is to inform, the entertainment is the awesome icing on the cake.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By imsh_pl

I agree. I miss the days of the old-new giantbomb, around the time of DP endurance run. There was so much awesome content being delivered every week.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#118  Edited By AlexW00d

You're pretty much spot on with a lot of that stuff. It's really not fun to watch some dudes not really want to play a game but play it anyway, like when they live streamed Medal of Honour, they shat all over that game, now I ask, why the fuck would you play a game you already know you're going to dislike? Seems redundant. There are plenty of original games that aren't just sequels, but the dudes mostly just ignore them, unless they're the current indie darling. Dave, Vinny, and Drew videos, however sparse, are the only ones when there's some actual enthusiasm to it, and it's a shame really.

Whatever, I doubt I'll be resubbing next year, unless something really changes.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#119  Edited By ProfessorEss

@AlexW00d said:

You're pretty much spot on with a lot of that stuff. It's really not fun to watch some dudes not really want to play a game but play it anyway...

The saddest part is that even their hate seems passionless these days.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By beepmachine

@Sooty said:

@McGrittles said:

Blame Klepek

+1

I don't even know why the premium membership exists anymore. I definitely won't be renewing.

Thanks for sharing.

radix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By radix

I sure hope you guys didn't forget about the Nintendownload X-press:

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By ElixirBronze

Personal opinons (aka childish rants) inc:

I think the site is as entertaining as ever. My problems with it in general is VINNY SHOULD NOT BE A VIDEO PRODUCER. He should devote more time to sit in on quicklooks and TNTs. Patrick should devote more time to his scoops and less to videos, I seriously think he's among the best in the business with video game news coverage.

I also think they are a little too reluctant towards endurance runs, yes they are very time consuming, but do them during the summer after e3 or something when nothing else is going on. Also it doesn't really have to be super long games does it? I feel like the argument "we don't want them to feel forced" is just an excuse, TBH the deadly premonition endurance run felt "forced" all the way through but it was still entertaining as hell.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#124  Edited By Skytylz

@IceColdGamer said:

There's only been 9 original Call of Duty titles

There we have it, 8 in the last 8 years and that is considered only. If they had kept using numbers they would have Final Fantasy caught soon! I'd be jaded too if every year I had to play the same games, luckily I don 't have to review games.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125  Edited By Kazona

Isn't it possible that the way GB does things has become tedious simply because you have consumed so much of their content? Perhaps what you really need is change.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Ducksworth

They should create/bring back Button Mashing, that show was great.

Edit: Or even just the opening song. I would be happy with that.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By iamjohn

Don't you have a community zine you should be abandoning or something?

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By SargeGulp

@Kazona: Where art thou South Park?

Also those who're suggesting you just need more variety in your content are probably right. If you check this site 5 times a day I'd be surprised if you weren't bored. It can be redundant, it does lack structure, it can feel unprofessional. All of those things are also why it's awesome, I'm not sure you can have both.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#129  Edited By cornbredx

Well written argument, and I wont bash you for your well constructed opinion. 

I disagree though. I feel a lot of what you are critiquing is their change over period. 2011 and 2012 have had a lot going on, both in the game industry as well as Giantbomb itself.  

We've seen a major shift in how games are produced, tons of big game industry development teams get wiped out, a lot of indie games sprout up that are worth looking into, a lot of focus on casual gaming, major companies shifting focus into multiplayer (even on games that don't need it), and the longest generation of games to date with not much in the way of new franchises coming a long (which, to be honest, is why I think the indy games sector has found a lot of meaningful ground). To name a few. 

As for Giantbomb we have seen the addition of Patrick Klepek (which some don't like but I feel brings an interesting balance to the team as he tries to bring in a different perspective), The rise and decline of subscriber content (due to the next thing), the selling and buying of Giantbomb, Giantbomb moving to a new company therefore basically having to rebuild from the ground up in a more corporate environment so things moved much slower, a rise in more interesting editorials on the behind the scenes of making games and how developers perceive their audience and try to cater to them, RPCG, Much more fleshed out and interesting TNTs, and longer then ever podcasts. To name a few. 

I feel this is a transition period in the gaming industry in general. A new generation is coming soon, video game journalism has taken a hit (of a more serious then ever nature), and consumers are feeling the jaded tedium of no new franchises or hardware to actually be excited about. I don't know if it's due to the aging nature of the medium, the medium trying to grow up to fast (as it is a fairly quick evolution in general, being a tech based field), or what but at times (especially this year) there is long gaps of nothing interesting going on with games. That's not really Giantbombs fault. As such Giantbomb has to tweak their focus and utilize nostalgia for a lot of content (which they have done on a surprising scale, as probably only the most niche of audiences are interested in that kind of content- I am one of those by the way haha). 

Making games has become increasingly more expensive, and as such the requirements for successful game franchises has grown. The gap between new franchises expands due to this and often there will be none. This is an unfortunate state of the medium itself and I don't know what could really fix that other then taking focus away from being so grand (as games like Minecraft have proven it's not really necessary to be successful). But such is the way of making money (and I am not placing a judgement on either side of that). 

So I guess what I am trying to say, is Giantbomb is trying to evolve with the gaming industry,  as well as build their audience on top of having so much going on. I'm not entirely sure what it is people expect from them when they make these posts, but they seem to come from an entitled place. Giantbomb is just a video game website, and they talk about games and have fun. There isn't a lot of money or time for much more quality behind that beyond the exceptional quality they already produce. That's kind of how it is on the internet. There is still a ton of great content to see on Giantbomb and I am always excited everyday to see what they will do next. For me nothing has changed drastically, they've only worked to keep the site going despite all the set backs. 

That is my perception, though. Anyone who reads this is a champ, and hopefully it doesn't come across as being mean. =)

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#130  Edited By TheHBK

Did you not see the last I love Mondays? What the fuck are you talking about? If anything, I am afraid this place might have reached its peak. They ran Ryan Davis over 3 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How the fuck do you go beyond that? What can possibly top something like that?

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GoranP said:

The general jadedness about games and the industry has been steadily increasing. I think this point is nearly inarguable, and that comparing coverage from say 2009/10 to 2011/12 will demonstrate it. I get it, this console cycle has really gone on for too long. There are too many sequels. There is too much gross DLC. There have been six hundred Call of Duty games. The list goes on! But if the point of this site is to be humorously entertaining as well as informative, it would be unprofessional to not be entertaining. I argue that part of the staff's job is to entertain us regardless of their opinions on a specific game. To be a little more specific, a Battlefield 3 quick look full of sighs and disinterest tells me that Jeff is not stoked about that game like he was for Battlefield 2. He can also write that on Twitter. How do you make such a video with such feelings entertaining? Well, I really don't have an answer to that, that's for the staff to figure out (like they have in the 2008-2010 period). At the end of the day it's their job to do this. I know that this might sound cold hearted or that I'm an entitled prick, but that's just how it is, and I'm sure the staff would agree based on how they present themselves at least.

• The discussions and opinions presented through video, audio, and text are starting to not match the scores given to games. The most recent example of this is Halo 4. On one of the recent (if not the most recent) Bombcasts, they spend quite a big chunk of time talking about the negative aspects of the game, only to conclude that it's pretty good. This isn't the first time this has happened, and I find it baffling. Yeah, it's always easier to talk about the cons, but there should be a balance. That or give the game a lower score to reflect your opinions. What's even weirder is when the podcast discussions don't match the review text.

I'd say most of your criticisms are fair enough though these two seem a little misguided.

"Entertaining" is about as subjective as subjective can get. No matter what they do they're not going to entertain everyone, that's just not possible. Just because you find them being disinterested in a game not entertaining doesn't mean someone else won't find it entertaining. You not being entertained doesn't make them less professionals, it just means their brand of entertainment doesn't apply to you. You shouldn't expect them to cover all games ever enthusiastically, I know I don't. They're not enthusiastic about a lot of things I'm enthusiastic about, they're also enthusiastic about plenty of things I'm not. That doesn't make the content bad, it just means sometimes the content isn't for me. This seems to be the case with you too. Instead of complaining about what you don't like, try enjoying what you do like. Being a whiny twat doesn't benefit anyone.

Opinions can change between the time of a review and the time of a podcast so it's possible that the scores don't reflect each other since they're coming from two different frames of reference. Sometimes feelings can be mixed but the negative aspects aren't enough to drag the game down to a mediocre score so it still requires a 4 or 5(Bioshock), and sometimes a game can suck with a few interesting elements not adding up to enough to quite get a 3 (Tony Hawk: Ride). This is a problem with narrow score systems (not to say broader score systems are always better).

Edit: On Patrick, I like his written stuff more than his audio stuff. He's good at writing, but I think he might over compensate during quick looks and podcasts.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Clonedzero

yeah, there have been some major misteps.

like the assassins creed 3 quicklook. thats awful. like REALLY awful. theres major spoilers in it, (yes they warned it but still, dont put spoilers in quicklooks) and its just them aimlessly trying to figure out how to get somewhere. in a game that litterally lets you replay missions whenever you want...he couldnt even get into a city. if they put some effort into it, he'd start the quicklook IN a city in between missions so theres nothing active, then replay missions to show them off.

i dunno that really bugged me the sheer incompetence of that quicklook for a game that is so easy to show off portions to. press start and select redo memory, its not hard to show off specific missions...whatever. im done with this rather pointless rant.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get it, this console cycle has really gone on for too long. There are too many sequels. There is too much gross DLC. There have been six hundred Call of Duty games. The list goes on! But if the point of this site is to be humorously entertaining as well as informative, it would be unprofessional to not be entertaining. I argue that part of the staff's job is to entertain us regardless of their opinions on a specific game.

The idea that they should be entertaining despite not being enthusiastic about a game is counter to your argument that the coverage they provide of a game should not be 'legitimately misinforming'.

If someone is happy in a QL, I assume they like the game, if they are frustrated or bored, then maybe they don't like the game. Why they like it or don't like it could be for a myriad of different reasons, some of which you outlined (9th sequel, rehash, lazy, unoriginal).

How do you suggest someone cover a game that does not entertain them, in an entertaining way? Also let's separate a "bad" game from an "uninteresting" game. Most people can tell you what a 'bad' game is, they're usually broken or lazy or just execute their concept really poorly. They're not fun to play or in some cases unplayable.

An uninteresting game may not actually be any of those things. Halo 4 is probably a game that's pretty uninteresting to a lot of people simply because there's nothing new. It's Halo: it's not bad, but it's not going to blow you away. You'll probably have an okay time, but nothing worth freaking out over. It's the same warm grey oatmeal they serve you every year or so only this time it's cinnamon instead of brown sugar. Great. Super. I want to die.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By mordukai

@IceColdGamer said:

There's only been 9 original Call of Duty titles, and a couple of expansions and mobile titles. Not quite 600.

Edit: There seems to be lots of these whining posts. There are also lots of other gaming websites. Coincidence?

I love the subtext in that comment, right? Please tell me there's a subext and you didn't just seriously called 9 Call of Duty game "original". Obviously the point of his post was lost on you. A least the OP had some serious issues about a web site he clearly loves and he expressed them in the most respectful way possible and I think he deserves an equally respectful response from you.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I must be in the minority who doesn't just go the the Quick Looks for LOL's and actually wants to see/hear a decent demonstration of the game 

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Clonedzero

@RenegadeDoppelganger said:

I get it, this console cycle has really gone on for too long. There are too many sequels. There is too much gross DLC. There have been six hundred Call of Duty games. The list goes on! But if the point of this site is to be humorously entertaining as well as informative, it would be unprofessional to not be entertaining. I argue that part of the staff's job is to entertain us regardless of their opinions on a specific game.

The idea that they should be entertaining despite not being enthusiastic about a game is counter to your argument that the coverage they provide of a game should not be 'legitimately misinforming'.

If someone is happy in a QL, I assume they like the game, if they are frustrated or bored, then maybe they don't like the game. Why they like it or don't like it could be for a myriad of different reasons, some of which you outlined (9th sequel, rehash, lazy, unoriginal).

How do you suggest someone cover a game that does not entertain them, in an entertaining way? Also let's separate a "bad" game from an "uninteresting" game. Most people can tell you what a 'bad' game is, they're usually broken or lazy or just execute their concept really poorly. They're not fun to play or in some cases unplayable.

An uninteresting game may not actually be any of those things. Halo 4 is probably a game that's pretty uninteresting to a lot of people simply because there's nothing new. It's Halo: it's not bad, but it's not going to blow you away. You'll probably have an okay time, but nothing worth freaking out over. It's the same warm grey oatmeal they serve you every year or so only this time it's cinnamon instead of brown sugar. Great. Super. I want to die.

its not fair, or even good coverage to sit there and bitch and nitpick that halo 4 is a halo game. what the fuck did they expect? i find jeff and patrick bitching that halo4 didnt completely reinvent itself tedious and uninteresting. its a damn sequel. its supposed to be like the previous games. it's "i liked that, can i have some more please?"

its just a bummer to see that their coverage of a really well made game thats really fun to be a bunch of whining and nitpicking. i want to come to giantbomb to get excited for video games, not to be bummed out by a bunch of negative nancies who do nothing but complain when a great game doesn't do what THEY wanted it to do.

i mean seriously, they were pretty much complaining that halo 4 didnt revolutionize the franchise and genre. thats not a fair complaint.

"oh hey jeff, you're new encyclopedia bombcastia didn't revolutionize the website, i guess it SUCKS" thats not fair criticism and its just a bad attitude to have.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By MikkaQ

I appreciate that Giantbomb seems to scrutinize games more, and lets them get away with less than most games sites. Too many writers on the internet are too enthusiastic and seem to mix up criticism with being a part of the hype machine. I think on a whole that industry needs to check their expectations about covering video games. It's like they're all too afraid to speak up against stupid shit that happens in gaming because they don't want to get fired or lose ad dollars. That sucks.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#138  Edited By Cube

Completely agree, terrible premium content this year and less reason than ever to visit the site...I unsubbed my premium membership awhile ago. Plus, the staff aren't as good as they used to be.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By CaptainCody

Eh it's hard to say for me, I still LOVE Giant Bomb. This is my homepage, but I feel like at some point I lost the magic. Maybe it's from too many quick looks and I've grown to know the dudes too well but it's hard to say. Also, I have been watching too much Game Grumps to actually see a quicklook in over a month. Maybe when the time comes that I catch back up on them I won't be as burnt out and ready to feel the magic again!

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I agree. But we all know when it began, and they seem reluctant to fix that mistake, so whatever.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By SlashDance

Quick looks do need to be a bit more informed, especially because of how long and thorough they've become.

The "So how much is this ?" -"Hell I don't know !" running gag is kinda funny though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@GunslingerPanda said:

I agree. But we all know when it began, and they seem reluctant to fix that mistake, so whatever.

Yuuuuup.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@GunslingerPanda said:

?
geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By geirr

Giantbomb's halcyon days for me was always that basement they had to flea-bomb when they got the couch.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By stryker1121

@GoranP: It's game fatigue in an elongated console cycle. I'm right with the guys on that if that is indeed the case. Lots of big titles kind of look and play the same, or come out buggy and unfinished. I come to GB for the entertainment value but I also want to know if an expensive game is worth my bucks, so I don't mind the cynicism if it's warranted (Resi6). and "lazy" or not, you really do need give examples to back your argument.

A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

?

You don't remember?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@A_Talking_Donkey said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

?

You don't remember?

Remind me?
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@A_Talking_Donkey said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

?

You don't remember?

Remind me?

You know, that one mistake.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By kindgineer

I'll stand by my belief that Giantbomb has simply gotten better. There will be users that get used to the crew's antics and become jaded just like they do with anything else. Happy Hour was never that "funny" to me, and I enjoy Jar Time a lot more. It's a matter of taste and I feel that the best thing of all is that this is a completely optional form of entertainment.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@A_Talking_Donkey said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@A_Talking_Donkey said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

?

You don't remember?

Remind me?

You know, that one mistake.

Talking to you seems like a mistake