As Cinema comes back which classic are you hyped to see on the big screen?

• 71 results
Avatar image for deactivated-611d8183a00c9
deactivated-611d8183a00c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

I just saw Jaws (for the first time ever) in theatres and it was pretty cool. I saw the Matrix the other day as well. I think I’m heading back for an IMAX Inception next week. While theatres get their plan back together what’s a classic you hope comes back before theatres become shovelware..again.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Please don't go to theaters yet.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably Outbreak.

Loading Video...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like, after the pandemic just becomes a regular demic, the only appropriate move for theaters (and Universal) to make would be to celebrate with a global, mandatory attendance screening of the fabled butthole cut of Cats. It just seems like the right thing to do.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5 chaser324  Moderator

I think we're still quite a ways off from theaters making any sort of come back, and it may in fact already be too late for some of them to even have a chance.

That said, in a different time and place, I wouldn't mind seeing Return of the King in a theater again.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@efesell said:

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think the only thing i'd want to see is 'annihilation.' but not before there's a vaccine- no way in hell.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... I have no idea what you're talking about. Are they playing old films in theaters right now? If so, why? To answer your question, if there was a theater near me playing old films, I wouldn't go. I'd rather buy it on 4k Blu-ray and watch it at home.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Good to know this guy doesn't just limit his bad choices to his forum contributions.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I drugs. My only real indulgence is going to the cinema. It is my favourite activity. I watch at least one movie every day. Please take this from me. I implore everyone DO NO GO TO A THEATRE. Please don't. It will probably be the back half of 21 at the earliest before we should do such things.

Avatar image for ithas2besaidkvo
ItHas2BeSaidKVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don’t really need to get angry and @ the OP, cinemas where I’m living in Australia have been open for a month or two. In fact, I just went and saw A New Hope today. Don’t think it was the original original vfx version, but it wasn’t the shitty totally redone vfx version. Also thankfully it wasn’t the Disney+ ‘muklunky Greedo’ version either.

Avatar image for deactivated-647f76b346730
deactivated-647f76b346730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AMC is pushing their opening hard in some areas of the USA next week, including big discounts on food and movie tickets. I won't be going back anytime soon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: i paid my penance for 3 months. I’m over it. My state government has our infections at an acceptable rate within what the professionals consider an acceptable range. (You guys don’t respect professional opinions, ahem). At this point I’m like an Apollo astronaut taking a risk for the benefit of future space exploration. Seeing a movie in theatres is more effective than seeing it at home.

Your parents met a movie theatre not watching season 8 of seventh heaven during Netflix and chill (that is unless you are 8 years old which With a grammerly account and the quality of writing about heaven and coppers around here you could get by/thrive here). You probably remember every movie you saw at the theatre, with who, and scenes. Better than any movie where your attention is being competed with by the dryer indicator, cell phone, and your surrounding at home.

I used to love the podcasts (every 3rd or so throughout the decade) when Jeff would practically beg for the death of cinema because he could duplicate the experience at home (I love that a high percentage of you are familiar). He didn’t see the point. Well he got his wish. And me going back now has just made me continue to disagree. I hope he enjoyed trolls 2 as much as I did. Don’t think it’s possible. Especially given the circumstances.

I do know videogame players are not my peers when I heard a GameStop employee mention 5k TVs.. the customer being receptive to that info. Overall S-Show. I absolutely love posting here because you get exactly what you expect.

I could play Last of Us 2 again for another 30 hours and deconstruct the review I’ve written for this site.

HCostanza14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourthline: yeah thats not how any of this works

Hope your selfish ignorance and stupidity doesn't get anyone innocent killed.

DaviKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time I went to the cinema it was to see Inception. I suspect I'll never stumble into one again. Wish me luck on my next ten years!

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hansberg

Just to echo the general sentiment, please stay out of movie theaters. At least for the next several months. Maybe (probably) more than that, but at LEAST for the next several months.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davikaze: it’s the 10 year anniversary of inception and it’s out next weekend in theatres. You could watch it on Vudu with commercials and I know you can’t help check for my postings but yeah watch it at home around 5pm next Saturday cuz I will be in theatres. If we do like a podcast synchronization (clap on time.is) we can appreciate it at the same time. Mine will be in IMAX. I love that movie and I can’t wait.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

The cinema sucks and your determination (as displayed in this thread) to endanger the lives of others sucks even harder.

Imagine thinking your personal liberties matter more than the lives of vulnerable people. Just psychotic.

Don't go to the cinema. It's a bad way to watch movies and it could kill someone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impartialgecko: it’s an institution worth saving. I like a mukbang as much as the next guy but that’s literally the only way to consume media in a seamless non advertising environment and to be part of the discourse that I do love oh so much (excluding all of the ads before the movie which are really just a time capsule for whatever era you’re living in). It’s a degree of risk. Dont expect the effortless “could be hit by a bus,” that I usually have to deflect in my posts. Me getting it then Passing it on. Is a percentage of a percentage. To quote Charles scwabb (or something from a business channel) all a financial institution can do is help manage your risk. I manage my risk. Seeing Jaws absolutely helps me close some loops on cinema helps me get away from reality and I come away with that experience forever. And rather than start a thread about movie versus theatre experience. I’d rather find a pre Covid thread and pull that into the mix where I can get arguments from all sides without the point of view ( which has merits based on your zip code) but once again I’ve already assessed.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#20  Edited By fisk0

They just started opening up cinemas here a few weeks ago, obviously under heavy restrictions - they only have one screen running, and limit it to 50 people in a hall that's built to take 400+ with enforcers there to keep track of how people enter and exit.

Went to watch the japanese 1969 queer classic "Funeral Parade of Roses" yesterday, and people kept their distance, the location was well cleaned and ventilated and the venue offers no questions asked returns for people who bought a ticket but couldn't go for any reason. They also only show one movie a day so they can properly clean the place.

Will be going to see the 1978 Egyptian classic "Alexandria, Why?" next week too.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't got to the movie theater.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: i paid my penance for 3 months. I’m over it. My state government has our infections at an acceptable rate within what the professionals consider an acceptable range. (You guys don’t respect professional opinions, ahem). At this point I’m like an Apollo astronaut taking a risk for the benefit of future space exploration. Seeing a movie in theatres is more effective than seeing it at home.

Sometimes when I read your writing, you come off as a Ben Shapiro, but a little-man version like in 2006's "Little Man."

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Efesell
@fourthline said:

Your parents met a movie theatre not watching season 8 of seventh heaven during Netflix and chill (that is unless you are 8 years old which With a grammerly account and the quality of writing about heaven and coppers around here you could get by/thrive here). You probably remember every movie you saw at the theatre, with who, and scenes. Better than any movie where your attention is being competed with by the dryer indicator, cell phone, and your surrounding at home.

I used to love the podcasts (every 3rd or so throughout the decade) when Jeff would practically beg for the death of cinema because he could duplicate the experience at home (I love that a high percentage of you are familiar). He didn’t see the point. Well he got his wish. And me going back now has just made me continue to disagree. I hope he enjoyed trolls 2 as much as I did. Don’t think it’s possible. Especially given the circumstances.

I do know videogame players are not my peers when I heard a GameStop employee mention 5k TVs.. the customer being receptive to that info. Overall S-Show. I absolutely love posting here because you get exactly what you expect.

I could play Last of Us 2 again for another 30 hours and deconstruct the review I’ve written for this site.

Despite a profound ignorance, making weird assumptions about my parents(?), and whatever else you are even fucking talking about here, I will simply repeat for your sake and for the sake of others..

simmant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourthline: You are going to get people killed. Please stop. There is literally no reason you need to go to the movies right now and the fact that you are arguing in support of it so hard makes it very clear you are completely self centered and don't care about others.

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who went to the movies two or three times a month , I'm on the "Please Don't Go to the Movie Theaters Yet!" bandwagon.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've barely done anything in the last five months and will happily do another five months. In fourthline's defence, even if he decides to make the better judgement and sit his ass down, there will be others that will gladly take the risk.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

As somebody who has seen plenty of great classic movies in theaters over the past 5 or so years and had a great time doing so, don't go to a movie theater yet. That is, "Not a good idea".

stise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By stise

@shindig: True, although a viral pandemic is one scenario in which the actions of each individual can have a large effect on the severity and duration of the pandemic.

(Also, in case anyone is confused: no, this model does not describe the risks incurred by the Apollo astronauts on their spaceflight missions.)
(Also, in case anyone is confused: no, this model does not describe the risks incurred by the Apollo astronauts on their spaceflight missions.)

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By impartialgecko

@fourthline: You use performative pseudo-intellectual drivel to cover up the fact going to the cinema to watch something you've already seen is something you want to do and are going to do, regardless of who it hurts.

Just be upfront and say that you think your individual freedoms are more important to you than the pain of others, rather than quoting people at me. I did philosophy 101 too my guy. It informs my perspective on the world, it doesn't justify my pre-existing beliefs and attitudes. Nobody is falling for it.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Is fourthline "Agenthitman47" reborn?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@impartialgecko: At least he said `i paid my penance for 3 months. I’m over it.`

Covid-19 will pass him & his community by. He has been a good boy for 3 months after all. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: Maybe if Last of Us 2 provided some guidance on what i should do with my life. Maybe it did. Must have been poor writing if they had no salient points that would make me not want to see Fifth Element (for the fist time... in the theatre is the first time.. dont care). And man was it great. Skipped back to the future for work reasons today. IMAX inception.. well that wasnt a thing 10 years ago. Might never be a thing 10 years from now.. but i just need this ship to hold for one more week. And we will go from there.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: God forbid a towering intellect like his is prevented from seeing - I'm gonna say Fight Club - in the theatre for a second longer.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impartialgecko: Actually he just talks like because that's... The Last of [Him].

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By north6

I like that everyone is ragging on the OP still when they theoretically want to go to the theater, just ripping them apart, and a mod posts that they actually have gone, and plan to go next week, and nobody says anything.

Don't go to the fucking theater. Mods included.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@north6: I think Fisk0 is from Sweden where they are hovering around 0-2 deaths a day. It's a completely different situation than what's going on in the US. And it sounds like the venue did a great job of making it as safe as possible. The local supermarket would probably be a greater risk of infection at that point.

Reminds me of this concert review of a Socially Distancing concert in Newcastle. Everyone has their own little wrestling ring to sit in!

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: Darn Swedes and their indefatigable immune systems.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@north6 said:

I like that everyone is ragging on the OP still when they theoretically want to go to the theater, just ripping them apart, and a mod posts that they actually have gone, and plan to go next week, and nobody says anything.

Don't go to the fucking theater. Mods included.

I think everyone saying not to go was pretty clear in meaning people in general. Fourthline gets piled on because he responds to it with "I'VE PAID MY DUES I DESERVE THIS ITS FINE".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are going to back to College in my area. Please provide your advice to them. I followed state guidelines until they changed to permit me to have a life. I’m very much going to have a life and if the guidelines change I’ll act accordingly. I’m still cutting out about 75% of things I want to be doing. I’m due for a vacation. I absolutely would have had multiple days off from work. I would have traveled overseas. So yeah. I’m going to sit in any theatre and watch every last movie I want to. When the guidelines change I will act accordingly. You cant even make a dent on me with your frivolous opinion on frivolous games. It’s called trivial pursuit for a reason. You absolutely won’t affect anything I do in real life.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You see?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Feeling pretty good about this travel restriction placed on the US right now. My heart goes out to the reasonable folk though :(

I was thinking about a game that can really give us valuable lessons to navigate this covid period and i think i landed on They Are Billions. You slowly build your city up and make a nice wall with guards to keep the zombies out. Why are these walls so essential? Well, It takes exactly 1 zombie breaking through your defenses, and if that happens you can write off every building that is exposed to the infectious area. I've straight up failed a map within 10 minutes after spending an hour or two on building it up. With each infection, the rate of infection increases significantly. Hell of a Covid-game that is. Makes you value the importance of tackling a problem before it becomes insurmountable and unavoidable.

A must play for anyone that is looking for guidance in these troubling times. Limit exposure, and build walls of fabric in front of your faceholes. Signs of a potential infection? Cancel your plans, lay low and focus on the core of your city for a week or two before you think about expanding again. Hopefully your resources haven't decreased too much in the meantime.

When the wall is not there.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You cant even make a dent on me with your frivolous opinion on frivolous games. It’s called trivial pursuit for a reason. You absolutely won’t affect anything I do in real life.

Then LITERALLY why are you posting here?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43 chaser324  Moderator

People are going to back to College in my area. Please provide your advice to them.

Students returning to college classes is probably also not going to go well, but unfortunately, those kids don't have much choice in the matter. They need an education to pursue their chosen career, and the people in charge have decided they'll have to risk their health to get that education.

Going to the movie theater on the other hand is completely frivolous and unnecessary thing that you can easily just not do.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Especially a movie he's already seen. "It's Inception but it's IMAX!"

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope you don't have any friends or family that old or have underlying health issues, if your gonna be selfish the least you can do is keep it to yourself.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"PLZ don't open the lesiure facilities so soon there's still a threat - wait - yep someone died." - Jaws

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petesix0 said:

"PLZ don't open the lesiure facilities so soon there's still a threat - wait - yep someone died." - Jaws

You know, I didn't even think about the specific example being used.

Fuck.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ry_Ry

OP - May I recommend reading just about anything from viral epidemiologists. There is an order of magnitude difference between state enacted guidelines and best practices to keep you, and your communities safe.

Not being able to participate in habitual/ritual social experiences sucks! It's absolutely your right to acknowledge that. I decided not to go to a family friends wedding a few weeks ago. Another guest decided to go anyway (even though their test results were pending) and now over 30 members of the wedding party are infected. Who knows how many other people will be infected or worse from this.

People imploring you to stay safe are hoping that you don't unwittingly become infected and spread it for a trivial pursuit. Given your combative responses it leaves the impression of someone who may well be struggling with generalized adjustment disorder brought on by the stress of the times we find ourselves in. Not saying that your ill. Not staying that you're incapacitated or unstable. Just that you might need some help working through this stress. Help is available if you want it. A therapist co-pay for that is like $15-50 a session.

gornogorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'm in Ukraine and theatre's here are open, I'm manager at one, so I'm thinking about seeing Inception. (most of the country is open by now)

But even I am nervous, and again Ukraine was not hit very hard at all.

Please don't go to the movies yet, and please do not encourage other people to

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ry_ry: Like yeah people who are thinking this is just about some "personal right" to see or not see a movie based on the preferences of associated risk are like, missing the point and should read your post as a good reference.

I feel like I constantly see takes about increasing the larger social gathering rituals, theaters included as like this right of passage and preventing them is a removal of freedoms. As with most things, if these type of events were done with appropriate sizes and in moderation the risk of a larger outbreak happening even with the heavy spread rate of Covid would probably be minimal. But the little harm it may seem in engaging in these activities and rallying behind them to promote them only increases the demand. More people will buck the trend and think it's "cool" to do these large social activities. This instantly pushes these gatherings to a far larger than is safe to have an outbreak numbers.

Remember at that point your not talking about who is predisposed or at risk to simply die because of Covid related symptoms, it spreads fast enough that all it takes is one or two people too many and suddenly health care systems become flooded to the point that people who wouldn't, and SHOULDN'T die have. That is why it's called a "global pandemic" and I don't know why people think it's cool to ignore this. It's not. If businesses such as theaters could be trusted to severely enforce the proper PPE and limit the amount of people to a reasonable number it would be fine. But the "we don't give a fuck" style to most of the social gatherings people want to go do without any masking or safety means it'll spread. We just had a huge strip club get infected in my Country as an example, which of course that would happen I don't know how anyone involved thought that wouldn't be the case. Like some 50 people infected, and that's just a start.

Anyway; I digress. I get the allure OP of wanting to see old cinema classics maybe you've never seen in the film environment. But bragging about it, and making it a contentious point of conversation feels like bait to me. Especially with regards to where the narrative of the conversation has went pretty quickly. This is about you making a point that you can't do this in a Covid world and you and others shouldn't be trashed for it. Which fine, if the numbers are small enough what your doing PROBABLY won't directly harm anyone, which is still a probably. But again encouraging such activity can easily turn that probably into a full crowded theater for a new film because nobody cares leading to a huge uncontrollable problem, the kind of which has been documented to happen...you know probably hundreds of times world wide already. But hey, just because it didn't go right for them doesn't mean it won't go right for us; right? :S

It's called logic people. Stay informed and...try to use it? Don't go to the fucking theaters. Obviously!