As we approach 500 Bombcasts: What does GiantBomb mean to you?

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jared

500 straight weekly Bombcasts will be marked on Tuesday, September 28th. 500! That's an incredible feat by the GiantBomb crew and may be some type of podcast world record. Not one Tuesday has been missed since the first episode went live on March 11th 2008.

Many of us have been here since the very beginning supporting GiantBomb and today the site has thousands if not millions (it is the greatest website about video games after all) of fans.

So as we approach 500 Bombcasts I thought it would be cool to share what GiantBomb has meant to us over the years, months or for however long you have been following and listening to these Duders.

I'll start...

Over the past 9+ years GiantBomb and Bombcast (and now the Beastcast) have become a part of my life and has made life more fun. This world has a lot of crazy screwed up stuff in it, but there's a lot of good as well and GiantBomb has offered a hell of a lot of good now for nearly 10 years. To me these guys have become friends, friends that I don't see or know personally but ones that I look forward to listening to every week on my weekly commute to work and videos that I enjoy watching. Also, they have made events like PAX an absolute blast to attend.

When I heard the news that Ryan Davis passed away my heart ached. I didn't realize just how much I came to enjoy GiantBomb until Ryan's passing, losing Ryan felt like losing a friend. It's been incredible to see how the crew moved forward after 2013 and managed to stay in good spirits after such a devastating loss. I think that continuing to offer amazing content week in and week out has been a great way to honor Ryan and what he helped start. Ryan will always be a part of Giantbomb. I like what Jeff said at the GiantBomb PAX West 2013 panel after a standing ovation to honor Ryan "but hey, lets lighten up and have a good time, it's still fucking video games right". :)

Personally these past 5 years have been difficult for me as I've been dealing with a lot of grief. During that time I've lost a lot of family members, some at a young age, others to terrible diseases and one to suicide which was just terrible. It's been hard to get through some weeks but for every one of those hard weeks GiantBomb and the Bombcast / Beastcast has been there helping to lift my spirits up, make me laugh, smile and helping me get into a new or even old fun game.

Thanks Duders!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

Mean to you?

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Jared

Oh wow, oops lol. Yes, mean to you. Thanks, updated

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

It means a lot. The Bombcast is part of my life. I've been listening to it for so long and I've relistened to the Ryan era probably 5 times in its entirety. It keeps him alive but I've kinda stopped 'cause when I'm done with it, I always have to face the reality. Sorry for going there.

I try not to talk a lot of shit about the crew but sometimes I do and that's just me being a shitty person. Really, they've provided a ton of joy and the Bombcast is the centerpiece in my view.

Next year will be 10 years. Congrats on the 5-0-0!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Fortune Street

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

gamebutts.club

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Giant Bomb is a cool place for video games and all the things that are in them.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That's the show where they review energy drinks, right?

The content of this website is a weekly comfort and a respite. It's like sitting down with some close friends and feeling like things are how they should be for a couple hours regardless of what's going on in your life (and your friends do all the talking and you just sit in the corner and drink but they're cool with it).

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaggE

I mean, it's no gamebomb.ru, but then, what is?

I haven't listened to the 'cast in a good while, but GB content still acts as internet comfort food for me. After all these years, watching video games through the eyes of the crew is one of my favorite pastimes, sometimes even more than playing them myself. Here's to 500 more!

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By forteexe21

Terrible advices.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was point in my life where I consumed every single piece of content the day it was released. It was a "right place, right time" kind of thing. There have been a lot of changes since then.

I always listen to the podcasts, as I have a long commute, but don't watch videos nearly as much anymore. I will always love GB.

big2una

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wouldn't be a full week for me without the podcast. I usually listen to it a couple days after it comes out (Friday or Saturday).

Quarterlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An oasis of peace and sanity in the radioactive wasteland of internet video game discussion/content.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Xdeser2

Simply the best

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bartend on the weekends. A few weeks ago my restaurant had a special late night karaoke thing, and at the end of it, a few friends of the chef hung out with us after hours. One of the couples was in from Chicago, and I asked why they were here. The guy said he was in Philly for a night before going up to NY for a wedding. His college buddy had won some "Taco Bell wedding", but now they were having a wedding for the rest of their family and friends. I responded as if his friend were someone I actually know. That made me take a step back and realize that these fucking guys have wound up feeling like actual friends over the years. Pretty weird.

vizard1301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It always feels like you're chilling with a group of friends, shout out to gbencore on discord I use that alot,it's old bombcasts streaming if anyone wants to check it out.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a hermit like me, it's a fairly big part of my not so thrilling life.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I accidentally posted in another topic, but this feels like a better place for my thoughts on GB:

Giant Bomb helped me through some tough (depression etc.) times over the past years. I am forever grateful for that. Somewhere along the way I got addicted to GB though. My subscription just run out few days ago, missed my first Unprofessional Fridays in a long while, haven't been in chats for a month or so. I'm considering whether or not to resub as a premium member. I think I'd be ok without, since my favourite contents are Bombcast and Beastcast (drop the postcards thing please it's like twenty minutes of every show, starting to feel like a stream where people donate just to get their name mentioned).

I'm rambling but whatever Giant Bomb does I wish them the best of luck. I'm gonna lay lown for a while since I've got my life somewhat together I feel like I should concentrate on improving my life instead of "wasting" it by just consuming (devouring?) content made by others.

All the best!

grambledore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EVERYTHING!

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Bombcast is the only podcast I've listened to continuously since I started listening to podcasts back in '08. It's the only podcast I continue to make time for every week, even if I don't have a commute or other chunk of time to fill. I've spent more time listening to it than I have listening to any other audio program, watching any TV series, reading any series of books, or playing any game.

So I guess it's ok. 7/10