Attention, iPhone Owners: Your Version Of Myst Is Here

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
How much would you pay to carry a portable, touch-aware version of Myst around in your pocket with you? If you're like me--that is, if you've had no interest in Cyan's sterile puzzle-based slideshow adventure since you got over the novelty of owning a CD-ROM drive back in, oh, 1993--your answer is probably "nothing." But Cyan hopes you'll say $5.99, because that's how much a complete version of Myst is priced at right now on the App Store.

The product listing indicates you'll need a little over 700 megabytes to store Myst, which is awfully big for an iPhone game (and the install process temporarily requires a whopping 1.5 gigabytes). Here's the App Store's full sales pitch. I guess the built-in hint system is kind of cool--assuming you haven't finished Myst numerous times already and know the solution to every puzzle.

The original Myst sights and sounds have been meticulously re-assembled for a remarkable experience on the iPhone and iPod touch. Everything that you remember from the original Myst in a format where a simple touch or swipe moves you through the world. Welcome back to Myst... wherever you are.
  • All the original Ages & gameplay
  • High quality images (better than original Myst)
  • Full music & sound effects
  • Original movies & animations
  • Auto-save (when quitting or phone call)
  • "Bookmark" system to save & restore progress
  • Swipe to turn
  • Auto-zoom in certain close-up areas
  • Quick access to hint guide
  • Works with iPhone 3G, the original iPhone, and iPod touch

Here are some screenshots straight from the developer that purportedly show the iPhone version in "action." At least half of them have the little "i" icon in the lower right corner, so you know they must be telling the truth.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
How much would you pay to carry a portable, touch-aware version of Myst around in your pocket with you? If you're like me--that is, if you've had no interest in Cyan's sterile puzzle-based slideshow adventure since you got over the novelty of owning a CD-ROM drive back in, oh, 1993--your answer is probably "nothing." But Cyan hopes you'll say $5.99, because that's how much a complete version of Myst is priced at right now on the App Store.

The product listing indicates you'll need a little over 700 megabytes to store Myst, which is awfully big for an iPhone game (and the install process temporarily requires a whopping 1.5 gigabytes). Here's the App Store's full sales pitch. I guess the built-in hint system is kind of cool--assuming you haven't finished Myst numerous times already and know the solution to every puzzle.

The original Myst sights and sounds have been meticulously re-assembled for a remarkable experience on the iPhone and iPod touch. Everything that you remember from the original Myst in a format where a simple touch or swipe moves you through the world. Welcome back to Myst... wherever you are.
  • All the original Ages & gameplay
  • High quality images (better than original Myst)
  • Full music & sound effects
  • Original movies & animations
  • Auto-save (when quitting or phone call)
  • "Bookmark" system to save & restore progress
  • Swipe to turn
  • Auto-zoom in certain close-up areas
  • Quick access to hint guide
  • Works with iPhone 3G, the original iPhone, and iPod touch

Here are some screenshots straight from the developer that purportedly show the iPhone version in "action." At least half of them have the little "i" icon in the lower right corner, so you know they must be telling the truth.

empire_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By empire_man

Definitely WON'T be checking this out.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Megalon

Hmm...doesn't look too shabby. Haven't played Myst in a long time, maybe this would be a good way to give it another go. 

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Double0hFor

what is "Myst"?

MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MacGyver

I would pick it up for $5.99 but I also never played Myst.

MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MacGyver

I would pick it up for $5.99 but I also never played Myst.

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By trav3ler

I remember Myst...  That game was the shizz when I was four years old.

I'd check this out if I owned an iPhone, but since I don't... oh well.  Maybe I'll go see if I still have the CD somewhere.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Milkman

If there was a boring video game, it was Myst. I don't understand why anyone ever cared about this game.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Myst was cool, but I can imagine the tiny screen being a hindrance, so I'm going to give this one a miss I think.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By BigBoss1911

Most confusing game Iv ever played.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24

Oh, shit 700 Megabytes is huge. I don't know if I would do that purely for that reason.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Binman88
Milkman said:
"If there was a boring video game, it was Myst. I don't understand why anyone ever cared about this game."
Yeah, never saw the appeal myself. Tried Riven a couple years after it came out and hated it.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By vidiot
Milkman said:
"If there was a boring video game, it was Myst. I don't understand why anyone ever cared about this game."
Because it was a great game for it's time.

Myst has not aged particularly well. The lone nameless/faceless adventurer only solving puzzles, is a genre that has been dead for a long time. If anything the it's been 3rd person Lucas Arts style adventure games that have had more of a resurgence versus their Text Adventure inspired brethren.

I wouldn't disregard Myst entirely. It's still a solid game with a lot of great and classic puzzles, and anyone who is interested in their gaming history might want to check it out.

For the rest of us though, not so much. Seeing how their are better versions of the same game to play.
hike77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hike77

OK, so Myst is out for the iPhone, now how about that Giant Bomb App. :)

Beechbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Beechbone

6 bucks for what is probably one of the best adventure games ever? I say bring it. Oh wait, I forgot that I totally don't care about iPhone as a gaming platform. Apple, get real.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mike

I will definitely be buying this...the best part is that it's been so long since I played Myst, I remember next to nothing about it. Fantastic.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Not_Rage

I'll work, I think its a good fit

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By C0V3RT

Not once have I ever been on the go and thought to myself "Man, I wish I could play Myst right about now...".  Played it when I was a kid, enough for me.  Plus, its 727 MB...crazy big.

BolognaSoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BolognaSoup

One of the best and most atmospheric games ever. Very creepy sound, especially in its day.

eyequeue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By eyequeue

I love Myst. I hate gaming on my iPhone.

s3ank1m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By s3ank1m

O hell YEA!

loneraver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By loneraver

I love myst but the only way I'm buying it a 3rd time is if they put the entire collection on steam.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#25  Edited By Brackynews

Owning CD-ROM drives were indeed novel.  I remember pricing out a blazing NEC Multispin 3X, WITH cartridge loading slot so they wouldn't get all scratched up.  Settled on a Toshiba 2X for almost half the cost.  With that machine I also splurged on 16MB of RAM.  Man that thing ran WFWG 3.11 and Myst like a Mario on fire!  Whohohooaaa!
I didn't *want* to create the recommended 10MB swap file, but Myst was hardcoded to require one.  Jerks.

NAZAR3NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NAZAR3NE

What I want to know is when Myst and it's sequels are coming to XBLA. I couldn't get enough of these games. And I loved the books as well. The world of Myst is amazing.

NAZAR3NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NAZAR3NE

@loneraver,
Or if they bring the entire collection to XBLA. I would buy them all on XBLA.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Media_Master

Still don't have an iphone

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rateoforange

The ones who played it and hated it are probably still sour from not being able to figure out the puzzles, and the ones who hated it and never played it are just know-nothing bandwagoneers.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By dagas

Never played it but I've played Myst clones. Could work unless the screen is too small.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tekmojo

Yea, just in case your life was any less boring.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By simian

I'd rather have 7th Guest instead. Myst was and still is total weak ass.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Linkyshinks

Sounds awesome, I could well buy this.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vidiot
Brackynews said:
"Owning CD-ROM drives were indeed novel.  I remember pricing out a blazing NEC Multispin 3X, WITH cartridge loading slot so they wouldn't get all scratched up.  Settled on a Toshiba 2X for almost half the cost.  With that machine I also splurged on 16MB of RAM.  Man that thing ran WFWG 3.11 and Myst like a Mario on fire!  Whohohooaaa!I didn't *want* to create the recommended 10MB swap file, but Myst was hardcoded to require one.  Jerks."
Crap, that brought back memories. 16MB of RAM!: "whadya going to do with all that RAM?!"

I remember doing a "full install" of the game on my machine. (Literally drag and drop game from CD if I remember correctly, take that DDRM!)
Dovey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Dovey

Easily something that will keep me entertained on the long ass flight i'll go on when I go to europe at the end of the year.

machgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By machgame

Myst was pretty amazing at the time. Should be a cool addition to iphone games. Don't see myself buying it though.

mac512k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mac512k

Back in the day it was kind of addicting and calming. Kind of when you have nothing to do so you just open myst and play for 10-20 min depending on what you may or may have not had planned for that day. It pretty much was like my version of Solitaire