#1 Edited by KittenTactics (102 posts) -

In the long-running discussion of the best years in gaming, people often bring up 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, and 2017. You can't really argue against any of them either, they're the Rushmore years for the industry. But unconstrained to calendar years, I think that the 12-month span from August 2009 to July 2010 is arguably the strongest 12 months of releases we've ever seen. It may not seem that way because it was just a middle year in last gen, but take a look at the murderer's row of games we got over the course of those 365 days...

August 2009

Madden NFL 10

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Dissidia: Final Fantasy

September 2009

Guitar Hero 5

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

The Beatles: Rock Band

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2

Halo 3: ODST

October 2009

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Borderlands

League of Legends

Forza Motorsport 3

Tekken 6

DJ Hero

Torchlight

November 2009

Dragon Age: Origins

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Left 4 Dead 2

Assassin's Creed II

December 2009

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

The Saboteur

Angry Birds

January 2010

Bayonetta

Darksiders

VVVVVV

Mass Effect 2

February 2010

Bioshock 2

Heavy Rain

March 2010

Mega Man 10

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

MLB 10: The Show

Final Fantasy XIII

Yakuza 3

God of War III

Metro 2033

Just Cause 2

April 2010

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Monster Hunter Tri

Nier

Super Street Fighter IV

May 2010

Skate 3

Alan Wake

Red Dead Redemption

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Blur

June 2010

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

July 2010

Limbo

Starcraft II

-----

Batman: Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed II, Mass Effect 2, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are still some of my favorite games of all time - and while I'm not a fan myself, many call Red Dead Redemption the best game of that generation. What are some of your favorite games of that year?

#2 Edited by BaneFireLord (3556 posts) -

Even just looking at it alone, 2010 is a banger of a year...apart from the stuff you mentioned, later 2010 also had Fallout New Vegas, AC Brotherhood and Civilization V. 2010 gets slept on in the GOAT year conversations far too often.

#3 Edited by hans_maulwurf (637 posts) -

Definitely also one of my favorite time periods for game releases. RDR, Alan Wake, Saboteur to this day remain some of my favorite games. Add to that Alpha Protocol, which also came out in may 2010 (probably my favorite month for game releases ever).

#4 Posted by Justin258 (15591 posts) -

Some of those games are really good but the vast majority of them just get a big "meh" from me. I see the appeal, but that era of gaming is kind of a bland period for me.

#5 Posted by Ben_H (4174 posts) -

At first I was thinking "What?" but yeah, reading that list is quite an eye opener. A ton of my favourite games came out then. There were so many good releases in 2010. I still play Starcraft 2 and SSFIV. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was excellent as well.

#6 Posted by ShaggE (9215 posts) -

... Well hell, that *was* a good run, wasn't it?

#7 Posted by Kraznor (1633 posts) -

I’ve been listening to that era of Bombcast again and it seems like 2010 was perceived as a weak year because come July there wasn’t much on the horizon they were anticipating (AC:Brotherhood was still expected to be a multiplayer heavy spinoff as opposed to a full entry and due to the long DLC tail on Fallout 3 much of the team wasn’t especially keen on New Vegas). Ryan does observe that if you were to flip the year it had been a “kickass year for games” up to that point, and I agree. That calendar scrambling effect of the Modern Warfare 2 hype did indeed create my favourite gaming 12 month I have lived through and I’m happy to see it acknowledged.

#8 Posted by fisk0 (6843 posts) -

Some of those games are really good but the vast majority of them just get a big "meh" from me. I see the appeal, but that era of gaming is kind of a bland period for me.

Yeah, feel the same. There are just a handful of games in that list that left a lasting impression on me, and few of those I have any desire to go back to, probably only Torchlight, VVVVVV, Nier and Borderlands.

Moderator Online
#9 Posted by TheWildCard (694 posts) -

Those are some good years but I'd put a fair amount of those games below "great."