Austin Walker stepping down from editorial position at Waypoint

• 59 results
AdamALC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I miss Austin on the East crew. His short tenure was some of my favorite content out of that office. I hope he finds a place where he is happy and able to work on projects he loves at a pace he can survive.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52  Edited By Relkin

@liquiddragon: You can still view someones post count by hovering over their picture, but yeah I liked it more the way it was previously, as just part of their post.

#52 Relkin [INSERT POST COUNT HERE]

Deathpooky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

Glad Austin will be able to move on and try to balance things out better. He's had lots of creative things out there that have all been generally amazing (in addition to a great tenure at GB), so I'm sure we'll have some great stuff to come for him. Friends at the Table continues to be amazing and I always appreciate hearing his perspective on pretty much everything. But have to feel for him with how Waypoint turned out.

Reading between the lines on everything they've said on the site and other comments that have been made, things never really came together (both in terms of how they envisioned the site and in the larger Vice ecosystem). They were shifting styles and trying out different approaches fairly often to try to draw in an audience, and from what Austin has revealed their bigger projects like the intersection between gaming and incarceration basically got them nothing in traffic. And for the last year or so it certainly seems like their runway ran out and Vice basically just wanted to reduce back down to some basic gaming/culture coverage.

gblurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read quite a few articles in the vice game section since waypoint and much of the work they made felt like an over analytical college exercise. Plus social justice writing is just a niche market that requires outrage/echo chamber outside of academics. Best of luck to everyone all the same. Being a writer is hard and everyone is a critic.

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hack1501 said:

@seikenfreak: Here is the link to the podcast on Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/brad-will-made-a-tech-pod/id1479882159

Thanks! Had no idea. I'll always take more Brad.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Will Rob and Austin ever finish that X-COM 2 run, that's the big question!

dudeglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I don't fault Austin for taking the Vice role, but he definitely deserves better than Vice media.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I hope Austin shows up on some GB stuff if he has the time.

With all the work that was going into say Friends at the Table it isn't surprising he would go into creative work.

I never liked Waypoint with the overall group or tone but I really like Austin and Rob Zacny, curious to see what happens with them.

someoneproud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Austin a lot but never cared for Waypoint so this is good news for me. Not sure a WWE comic is what I'm after either but good for him and I hope to see him around again sometime.