Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

After owning my vizio soundbar for a while and dealing with 41-120ms audio delay, for which I've exhausted all possible configuartion solutions, I'm looking to buy a proper 5.1 or 7.1 receiver that supports HDCP 2.2 compliant 4k HDR passthrough. (even stereo pcm from PC hooked up directly to HDMI IN on soundbar has noticeable audio delay.) Looking for recommendations from duders because gaming is going to be core use and I want to know from others' experience that there is no sort of delay (audio nor video) when properly set up.

Right now, early on, I'm eyeing the Yamaha RX-V483BL and Denon S730H (7.1)

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By frytup

I got the Onkyo TX-NR575 a couple of months ago, and have been happy with it. I can't really set up surround speakers or a subwoofer in my current living situation so only use two channels, but can confirm 4K HDR pass through works fine.

Modern AVRs are complicated and have a ton of features, and you'll inevitably have to play around with settings to get things like dialog sync working correctly. Buy it from a place that offers easy returns so you can test it sufficiently before deciding if it meets your needs.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Denon is a really good brand, my AVR-E300 has been with me for two moves and almost ten years... remember that you will have to get a good set of speakers as well (keep in mind your space options when buying)

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For my money, Onkyo has been my main go to for best-bang-for-buck range audio receivers. Onkyo can get really pricey, but their performance output even around the affordable range has been great IMO.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer Denon receivers.

the only brand I've had issues with is Onkyo.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Think I've got my setup.

• Receiver - Denon x1400h (which was on a killer deal for ~$350 plus had $85 in Best Buy credit.)
  • L/R - B652-Air
  • rL/R - Micco COVO-S Compact
  • C - C452
  • Sub - Dayton 1200

r/HomeTheater has some good guides set up.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uhtaree

@flashflood_29: good i'm glad you're not considering that yamaha anymore. I owned the 383 version of that reciever last year briefly (not sure if it was previous years model or the lower end one) but it had issues. The sound was really harsh and abrasive to my ears out of the box, although it had per channel EQ which helped that. The reason it went back to Best Buy though is no matter what combination of settings I tried over a weeks worth of fiddling I couldn't get it to output more than a low rumble of bass from the subwoofer with the subwoofer volume knob all the way up. Tried everything. I decided to wait a couple years for 4k pass thru to get less buggy because the other units I was considering had issues with that and I found a gem at goodwill that will tide me over until I actually buy a 4k tv.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uhtaree: whew. Thanks for the heads up, in any case. The Denon receiver I'm getting has that Audyssey which I'm excited to try out. I guess you place a microphone in your living room and the receiver automatically tunes a lot of different settings for each speaker to get the acoustics of your room right. Didn't even know that was a thing but it's super useful for someone that's not a big audiophile.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uhtaree: whew. Thanks for the heads up, in any case. The Denon receiver I'm getting has that Audyssey which I'm excited to try out. I guess you place a microphone in your living room and the receiver automatically tunes a lot of different settings for each speaker to get the acoustics of your room right. Didn't even know that was a thing but it's super useful for someone that's not a big audiophile.

Grain of salt, my receiver is probably close to a decade now so Audyssey's software may have improved by now, but: the process gave me absolute garbage settings when I tried using it. If you're willing to spend some time reading calibration guides, you can get a lot done, and much better I'd argue, simply moving through a room and listening yourself.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hmoney001
w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own the Denon 730H that you're asking about, not sure about the Yamaha though. In terms of the Denon, this is a great piece of hardware. I've had it now for almost a year and it's been absolutely solid - no lag, amazing sound, no hitches with 4K content. All-around, a great purchase.

I'm actually not using the 7.1 aspects of it, and opted instead to split this into 2 zones: 5.1 zone (entertainment area) and standard stereo set up for zone 2 (kitchen / living room area). If you have this sort of "freedom," really recommend going this route. Still, the 7.1 aspects of it are awesome as it's a Dolby compliant device (ATMOS).

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seikenfreak

I've got a Yamaha RX-V779 I got on sale (50% off) a couple years ago. I'm no audiophile but it's been fun to have and mess with. I recently rearranged my room so I picked up some used Yamaha speakers and have a 7.1 setup now. 4K/HDR has worked fine with the PS4 Pro/Xbox etc. I just wish it had more HDMI inputs (5?) and I have my eye on a newer one with 7.

Just my 2 cents.

cliffhoney54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• rL/R - Micco COVO-S Compact