Avoiding Joy Con drift

GythaOgden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GythaOgden

Just acquired a secondhand Switch from someone decluttering. It was an absolute steal -- £150 plus games including Breath of the Wild, but it would have been worth it even without the games because it looked like the lady selling it had just had it in a cupboard or something. There are quite a few good deals to be done on sites that are more geared towards private sellers decluttering rather than collectors or dealers who know what they've got. The mint condition PSP 1000 was a real steal so I went back and hit paydirt again.

Anyway.

I'm slightly concerned about joycon drift, but I'll probably get a pro controller anyway. Does it apply in the software of the Switch at all, or is it purely a hardware issue? So I can use a separate controller and not get any problems with the machine itself being tricky to operate? I mean, the issues don't seem to have stopped the Switch from being a massive hit, but what should I expect and how can I mitigate any problems this machine might have?

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AFAIK it is a hardware issue, and it won't affect you if you're using a pro controller.

I can tell you that my launch joycon have not experienced drift; I used them exclusively for about a year before getting a pro controller and now I use that most of the time. I still use the joycon once in a while (e.g. for Ring Fit).

I do wonder whether usage patterns affect it (i.e. if someone tends to press harder on the stick, does that make drift more likely?) but haven't seen any data on that kind of thing. Personally I think it would make sense that it happens sooner with heavier use, and I also wonder if big hands (the joycon are not that well designed for big hands) also tend to exacerbate it. So anyway as far as mitigating goes it can't hurt to try to avoid excessive stick pressure.

IIRC there are a few games that require joycon (this is not the norm thankfully).

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've had drift come up a couple times on my launch Switch, both on the right stick. A bit of contact cleaner and it was good as new. If it happens again, I'll probably send them in, but I don't have a backup set and play almost exclusively handheld.

GythaOgden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks very much for your help :)). Big hands and tight grip might affect me, but I will probably get the pro controller anyway.