Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Musubi
No Caption Provided

Intro

Hello everyone! Coming hot of the heels off the holidays its time to get hype for Awesome Games Done Quick 2015! What is AGDQ? Well, its a community of speed runners and gamers who come together twice a year to hold marathons to raise money for awesome causes. The last Marathon Summer Games Done Quick 2014 raised a TON of money. The Giantbomb Duders raised $4000 between all of us to name Yoshi in Paper Mario "Gerstmann" it was a ton of fun raising money for a dumb joke and hanging out chatting and watching with other GiantBomb members! So, I've got all the information you'll need to know where to go to to watch and donate below!

Where to watch:

Games Done Quick official Twitch Channel - If you prefer Twitch Chat

Explosive Runs - If you prefer to not be in the Twitch chat. Join GB duders in the IRC chat thanks to mod @chaser324 prepping the site for us yet again.

Who money is being raised for and where you can donate:

Prevent Cancer Foundation - This year the money is going all do the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Helping you guessed it to research and find ways to prevent and treat all types of cancers. They also do a lot of outreach and education on cancer prevention. Cancer is bad so lets help raise money to fund the science that will one day find a cure for this heartbreaking disease.

Donation Link - Donation link right here! So go ahead! DONATE!

Humble Bundle AGDQ Bundle - Right now through the end of AGDQ you can buy a bundle of games from the fine folks at Humble Bundle and the proceeds will go to the Donation Totals for AGDQ 2015.

What games are being played?

AGDQ 2015 Schedule - The entire list of games can be seen at the link. For those who are unaware this is a speed running marathon. All of the games listed will be speed ran live non stop for an entire week! So make your viewing plans now!

What about previous events? Can i watch old stuff?

Games Done Quick Youtube - You can view almost everything at the Games Done Quick Youtube channel. There are tons of past runs. If you need a viewing guide community member @truthtellah curated some of the best moments that you should watch and catch up on from the last event in his blog you can find - HERE

Giantbomb Community DONATION GOALS!

Once a duder, always a duder. Name Shovel Knight = "Scoops" !

No Caption Provided

[DONATE]

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/donate/12

[Donation tracker]

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!

"The Wolf" Alex Navarro will be on the AGDQ stream at 3am (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada) he will be reuniting with his old friend/rival Big Rigs Over The Road Racing during the "Awful Games" block of AGDQ.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 58

Yeah! Super excited for another one of these. Hanging out in the Giant Bomb chat, bullshitting about whatever while dudes play games absurdly fast is very fun.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Fuck me, I had completely forgotten about this coming up. Looking forward to it!

Musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: which is exactly why I'm posting it now! Lol. Honestly, I had as well until I saw a random tweet about it the other day.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By InternetDotCom

I'm always very impressed with Super Monkey Ball runs because getting the fastest time in that game requires some crazy stuff. I was always convinced some of the ledges in that game were not meant to crossed.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I need more Pro YoCo courtesy of the GYCL.

Loading Video...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Oh yeah, it's nearly that time.

Woo, Commanders Keen. Also, hopefully for SGDQ, they'll do BOI: Rebirth. It's cool that they're doing the original, but Rebirth is so much better.

mrblobby64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so happy that Marble Blast Ultra is in that schedule. I have fond memories of that incredibly mediocre game.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: Makes sense! :) Lots of good stuff on the schedule too, looking forward to this.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hell yeah. I rarely catch this live, but the archives are always great fun to dip into for weeks afterwards.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: yea, I always end up missing this live but hoping to make an effort to catch some of it this time around, thx for posting @demoskinos

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff being Jeff-tier always gets me.

My friend dxtr will be there this year, playing Mega Man (I think). He's a a very handsome fellow and all of you should donate during his run.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember watching the infamous Paper Mario run last year, and a couple of very impressive Half Life and Half Life 2 speedruns (i want to say the latter was a world record)

It's fun to poke your head in and look at for a bit now and then, thanks for letting us know!

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

So down to watch way too much of this next week. Always super fun events.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to Uncharted being done in an hour and Final Fantasy VII being done in the time it takes to watch Godfather III. Shame Murph isn't back to take on that Double Dragon game that broke on him last time around.

Epidehl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Epidehl

Looking forward to some of the weirder stuff in there, specifically the non-NES/SNES JRPGs (FFVII, KH), which don't seem to usually be done for these things.

The first one of these I watched was the last AGDQ, and man, they've been incredible. The highlights for me from last years' stuff were definitely the Star Fox 64 High Score run, and the Viewtiful Joe speed run.

Also, hell yeah for Awful Games Done Quick!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So excited that AGDQ has come back around! Always a great, memorable time. :)

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By amafi

Got the week off work. Looking forward to spending an unhealthy amount of time watching people play videogames.

Would be awesome if the GB chat was left off for it, sucks not being able to be in a chat for it.

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always love the races. Don't get me wrong, watching speed runs is impressive on its own, but applying those skills against others just as skilled makes it much more exciting to watch. The Super Metroid race from AGDQ 2014, including screen-by-screen commentary was superb.

Loading Video...

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By donchipotle

No Cosmo? Awwwwwww. I love watching/supporting AGDQ so I'm pretty excited for this

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By turboman

Fuck, this is happening next week? I was thinking about driving up to DC to check it out live... Might have to wait next year now.

Time to go through all the incentives to see what could be this years Yoshi/Robo

Edit: Looks like Metal Gear Solid 2 could be an early contender... probably just a filename though.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Cheers for the reminder! AGDQ is always a reliable good ol' time.

Musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nevalis: Yeah that was one of the best things they have ever done at the Games Done Quick events. The racers were impressive and the commentators knew what they were talking about and really hyped shit up.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh lord, AdamAK is running William Shatner's TekWar and Runnerguy might do a blindfold run of the OoT child dungeons. This gonna be a good year.

No Cosmo though. Weird.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Can't wait to see the crowd's reaction to puwexil's FFVII Yuffie Warp run. That's a crazy one.

mithical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mithical

I've already combed through the schedule and picked out all the stuff I want to watch. Should be another great marathon!

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Cosmo AND no Zoast. Crazy town :(. Will still watch though.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A 15 minute MG:Rising run? I smell a witch!

Musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy: I think Rising might have been on a past marathon at some point. Might have been last years AGDQ. Its a pretty impressive and ridiculous run.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I was just thinking about this the other day. I only really tune in for Zelda: OOT, Super Mario World, and possibly Mario 64. Good to see that this is growing more and more!

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ohh, exciting. I had a lot of fun the last few ones at explosive runs, hopefully I'll find the time to join in again this year.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here

We

Go

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: It was a much longer run last year, run by the same person I think. Specifically I think this is the DLC. Thats whats on the submission page anyway.

Musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyisa: Ah might be. I just remember a MGR run that was blazingly fast one year.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hell yeah, this starts on my birthday! I'm not really into speed running but I love watching AGDQ.

peterdotorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet. I only found their videos on youtube earlier in the year and spent way too much time watching them. I look forward to watching some of it live.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Friend I've known for ~12 years online is running Shovel Knight in this which will be awesome. It's a fantastic game to watch run regardless.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Woohoo! I booked the week off in anticipated of this. What dumb Giant Bomb-related donation thing are we gonna do this time?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#39  Edited By TheMasterDS

Super excited. They're starting this mother fucker off right with the Games Done Quick Premier of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, my personal Game of the Year. While some sites aren't so hot on Donkey Kong Country games I'm super glad and happy that the slightly younger speedrunning crowd pay them the respect they deserve. He's on the banner this year even! Plus DKC2 is being run just like at every other GDQ because it's a phenomenal classic speed game.

Yall should watch from the start. I'm going to donate myself with the following donation. (Note: The first name is an inside joke from elsewhere.)

"Hey guys, love that DKCTF is getting its respect, it was my GOTY! Shout outs to Emmy Award Winner Hyde Russell and former member of the Dangerous Alliance Dan Ryckert! I will donate one additional dollar for every verse of the DK Rap the audience can sing right here right now."

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Ok, seems like they're still adding stuff on, but here is the Bid Index so far...

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/bids/12

Nothing is really screaming out to me to go after right now. Since Dan is the newcomer, I was thinking either:

• for Morrowind donate towards the character being named "Air Force Gator" and donate towards the race being Argonian or
  • for Pokemon, naming the trainer "Ryckert" and the rival "Conseco"
Musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: The Ryckert & Conseco thing seems like a pretty good idea.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hassun

I don't really have any money for a good donation drive this year but I do have an internet pal who will be one of the speedrunners. Good luck to him!

@turboman: @demoskinos: I hope I am still in time to notify you that his name is spelled "Canseco". (Unless that's the joke, I haven't read any of the books.)

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it'd be cool to do something for Scoooops. Maybe something like a donation incentive to name the Majora's Mask file, if that ends up being an option. Although something like that could also be a good candidate for another get-something-Jeff-hates-named-after-him situation.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

MY BLOOD NEEDS TEH URNS

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm, the last two days look pretty solid. Not too much interests me before that. REALLY curious about FFVII in 3 hours and definitely interested in hearing Dark Souls 2 explained.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#46  Edited By TheMasterDS

Gotta be Ryckert/Conseco. That's brilliant.

Starts tomorrow (err, later today I mean?) at 11 AM Central. That's Noon for New Yorkers and 9 AM for Pacific. I hope everyone's fully ready and prepared to catch the first game of the run, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. It's going to be a fantastic opening.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Capum15

Some pretty interesting ones throughout. Nothing will top METAL WOLF CHAOS but then again, nothing ever will.

Those last two days are pretty great.

I should probably go beat Metal Gear Rising before that.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nevalis: You posted my favorite thing they've ever done. I was glued to the stream for that entire race. Was crazy.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I see Cyghfer is doing a run of Gimmick! again. It's a quite obscure game (only released in Japan and parts of Europe), so as something that might get lost amongst the Zeldas and Metroids and other popular stuff, I think it deserves highlighting as being absolutely worth checking out. He's done the run at a previous Games Done Quick and it's probably my favourite speedrun. It's short but sweet and the level of skill on display is extremely obvious and incredibly impressive. Sometimes a speedrun might be impressive intellectually if you're aware that certain tricks require frame and/or pixel perfect precision etc, but not terribly interesting visually. Gimmick! is not one of those runs and it looks so cool to see it play out!

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 18

I didn't know this was coming up so soon until Medibot tweeted that he was in line for it. I'm so hype for this though.