Batman: Arkham Origins announced (360/PS3/PC/WiiU)

• 56 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5
deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Out October 25th, WB Games Montreal developed. Separate Vita/3DS game also coming.

No Caption Provided

Batman Arkham Origins has just been announced for PC, Wii U, PS3 and Xbox 360! Set several years before the previous chapters in the series, the story will put you in the shoes of a younger Batman. Players will meet many of the franchise’s most important characters for the first time and even develop important relationships with them.

Alongside the main game, a spinoff title called Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate will be available for 3DS and Vita platforms. Both games will be available on October 25th of this year,00 and will be developed by WB Games Montreal, rather than series creator Rocksteady. Stay tuned to Gamefocus for more details on the game!

Via Gamefocus

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

developed by WB Games Montreal, rather than series creator Rocksteady.

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. With no track record apparently the studio is lead by Martin Tremblay according to the wiki, who worked on Arkham City but it doesn't say in what role. We shall see.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A prequel that is not developed by Rockstady? I just hope that they don't drag out the "my parents are dead" stuff too much.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah I'm not sure how confident I am in an Arkham game that's not developed by Rocksteady. I'll count myself in the "Wait and see" group.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@altairre said:

A prequel that is not developed by Rockstady

Yes... A prequel, not developed by Rocksteady.

Until launch day I have no interest in this.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Now I only care about knowing what Rocksteady is doing? More Batman is nice, but something else would be even better

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

This just made me realise how overused the word 'origins' is...

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

According to Game Informer, where all this information is coming from it seems, the handheld 2.5D batman game is being developed by Armature Studios who was created by the founders of Retro Studios. A Batman Metroid games by those games sounds pretty promising, I mean the Arkham games have always been quite Metroidy as it is.

The article on the Game Informer website has a few more details on origins, like it will be taking place around Christmas it seems and actually be set in Gotham, there's a short video of them talking about it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By probablytuna

Not by Rocksteady? Hmm, I'll wait for reviews.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a real revelation wasn't it?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rafaelfc

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Also, handheld batman? i'm interested!

Wheady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

my guess is that this will still be good (the tech is already there), but it wont try much else thats new. might just play it safe and stick to the same formula to try and cash in before the next generation hits.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hand held batman sounds awesome, I used to love Batman on the NES

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hand held game sounds way more interesting. Also is anyone else jumping the gun in assuming that Rocksteady is probably just working on next gen Batman and that the whole franchise is going to become annual or am I alone in my cynicism?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By BisonHero

@altairre said:

@beachthunder said:

It was a real revelation wasn't it?

I'm sure it unleashed a storm within his mind.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eidderf said:

According to Game Informer, where all this information is coming from it seems, the handheld 2.5D batman game is being developed by Armature Studios who was created by the founders of Retro Studios. A Batman Metroid games by those games sounds pretty promising, I mean the Arkham games have always been quite Metroidy as it is.

The article on the Game Informer website has a few more details on origins, like it will be taking place around Christmas it seems and actually be set in Gotham, there's a short video of them talking about it.

Armature studios? huh go figure.

(i say this because theres news today that they were working on a 1st person mega man game)

https://www.giantbomb.com/mega-man/3025-523/forums/ex-retro-studios-devs-were-working-on-a-mega-man-g-1431983/#3

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely going to approach this with caution. No rocksteady makes me wonder how this will turn out.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mellotronrules

i like those arkham games. but i have zero interest in a third.

Kidable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will probably pick this up due to Deathstroke alone. His whole role in Teen Titans was awesome (he was known as Slade in TT, I guess having the word 'Death' in a children's show was going a bit too H.A.M.) Plus he looks awesome on that cover.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By mosdl

@eidderf said:

Why not release the 2.5D game as a downloadable for consoles/pc? I miss Shadow Complex

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By 49th

Awesome, I love the Arkham games. Hopefully this other team can make them just as well.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By veektarius

As sick as I am of prequels to prolong game series, Batman's origins are always fun, and I'd enjoy playing out the learning process. If well done, it could be the best of the series, with the acquisition of new tech and moves tied to story beats rather than arbitrary unlocks. I am surprised that Rocksteady would give up the opportunity to do it themselves.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Not Rocksteady and being dumped into the marketplace just before the new consoles launch without next-gen ports? Yeah, this whole thing absolutely reeks of a half-assed cashgrab. Which makes me sad, since Arkham Asylum is one of my favorite games of all time.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What happened with the "retro" Batman game then? so instead of cheesy silver-age Batman we're getting a prequel huh?... I don't know how to feel about this so lets just wait and see.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stryker1121

Hand held game sounds way more interesting. Also is anyone else jumping the gun in assuming that Rocksteady is probably just working on next gen Batman and that the whole franchise is going to become annual or am I alone in my cynicism?

Was gonna post the exact comment about the handheld.

GameSpot reports that Rocksteady is still working on the Silver-Age Bats game..http://www.gamespot.com/news/batman-arkham-origins-launching-october-25-640663

Origins can be OK but it smells of a pre-next gen cash-in like the recent Gears and God of War Games.

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angeln7 said:

What happened with the "retro" Batman game then? so instead of cheesy silver-age Batman we're getting a prequel huh?... I don't know how to feel about this so lets just wait and see.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess this is from another team and Rocksteady is still working on the silver age Batman game.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

go ahead and take a break, batman.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Kind of related: What is up with the wiki text for Deathstroke? Is this some fun inside joke that i should delete or is DC way weirder then i know?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I know this is crazy but I hope they peel back from Arkham City. There was just too much shit going on in that thing. Asylum was this compact thing full of variety, I always knew what I was doing and usually where I should go. City was just overwhelming. I probably spent more time in the combat challenges than in the story mode just because the combat remains excellent.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This title could only be better with 'Revelations' in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@0blivion said:

As well as "Judgment" or "Storm."

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

@0blivion said:

Batman: Arkham Origins, Revelations (Storm of Judgement)

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Until I hear more about this, I will be cautiously excited about this game. At least it has Deathstroke in it (as seen on back of GameInformer's magazine cover below):

No Caption Provided

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34  Edited By JasonR86

October is a little late for a new current generation game.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ramone

@bourbon_warrior said:

Hand held batman sounds awesome, I used to love Batman on the NES

Your avatar reminded me that Shepard actually exists in real life. Fuck you for doing that, now I won't be able to sleep.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

OK, let's go. I started Arkham City a few months ago and still play it often. Can't get enough of that combat/predator stuff.

If it's a step back I won't get this, but if it's more of the same I probably will.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panvixyl said:

@marokai said:

@0blivion said:

I would play the fuck out of this game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#38  Edited By Yummylee
@0blivion said:

@panvixyl said:

@marokai said:

@0blivion said:

I would play the fuck out of this game.

Then boy howdy are you going to want to buy Batman: Arkham Origins - Revelations (Storms of Judgment): Reckoning Edition.

Anywhoo I only fairly recently completed Arkham City, and I bloody loooooved it. Was such a consistently superb experience from top to bottom; well, the Catwoman segments were pretty lame. I even went out of my way to collect and solve every riddler trophy, and it's always been quite the rarity for me to actually attempt to collect all the things! in a game.

Even if this'll be just another Arkham game, if it can still manage to hit the same strides that City did, then I'll be all for it.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ThomasG666

Nice!Have to start playing Arkham City.Loved the first one!

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MedalOfMode

Now there is Gotham City I hope.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tonally speaking this looks pretty dull. I was hoping for something of a shift after Arkham City and that Silver Age prequel sounded much more interesting to me. The fact that this isn't made by Rocksteady is probably what's most exciting about this to me because it means that hopefully they'll be willing to go in a different direction (or at least rein in everything from City to make an experience closer to the original), while Rocksteady can go make something completely different like a Superman or Justice League game or something.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eidderf said:

I had no interest in the handheld til I read this. Got my attention at the very least.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#43  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

...because we all know how great prequels and origin stories are.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

If MGS3, DMC3, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Fear Effect 2, Resident Evil 0 ect. have anything to say about it, it's that prequels can be pretty awesome.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheHT

A good story is a good story, doesn't matter if it's a prequel or an origin story.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Now I only care about knowing what Rocksteady is doing? More Batman is nice, but something else would be even better

They are making my dream Spider-man game. :(

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@yummylee said:
@sparky_buzzsaw said:

If MGS3, DMC3, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Fear Effect 2, Resident Evil 0 ect. have anything to say about it, it's that prequels can be pretty awesome.

Damn, you've got me there.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Rocksteady's busy developing next gen Batman then. B-team gets prequel duty. Yup, sounds about right.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
@sparky_buzzsaw said:

Don't forget Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Don't forget Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7.

One word: Gackt.

I would have been far more interested in that silver age game that was rumoured. Making this a prequel seems like a feeble attempt to disregard the events that were set up/established in the last games and giving it to new developers seems like it could end very badly.

I am happy that Rocksteady have (presumably) moved onto something else though. Hopefully that TMNT game that was rumoured.